• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've always avoided hardcore grinding in games like Destiny and this. I just play the end game stuff until I stop having fun and then come back when I get an itch to play more and/or there's a new expansion or special event that draws me back. Keeps frustration and burnout to a minimum. I'm still over 300 hours in the two Destiny games, so I still more than get my money's worth.

That's probably the best way to play these type of games. I semi grinded in Destiny 1 but some of that was because I enjoyed the pvp.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Only thing I don't know is whether fire shreds shields, and if it does, whether it's as damaging as electricity.

I believe fire doesn't do extra damage to shields. I think electricity is +50% to shields and ice is +25% as the two shield shredders. I hesitate a little since I don't remember where I read that and I posted the bad info about luck from Gamerant earlier, so it seems there's some bad info out there. Which isn't surprising as the game is so obtuse on how some of these systems work.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Erm... because I've finished playing the game and want to play something else? Like I do with every other non-digital game I own.
The playstation is showing the dashboard and there is no disc/disk activity at the time, so it should be safe to eject. The game was at the mission select or forge screen, doing nothing.
It's not like I'm hitting eject mid-game during a save or loading screen or while it's trying to perform the game-boot disc check - though frankly that shouldn't hard-crash the playstation either.
Yeah I'm sorry that's weird and pretty sure it can harm your ps4 no matter the game. Always, always close the application then hit eject.

Wait people are only just realising you can hover? Are the tutorials different on PC or something because I 100% swear I got a tutorial for everything including hovering, ultimate, appearance changes in the forge, map use and even how to shoot. Am I special?

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Super general question about the game here guys, but if I enjoyed ME3 multiplayer a lot with my friends mostly for the fun repetitive gameplay, and occasional cool loot/characters you got from those packs, would we enjoy Anthem? Story and stuff doesn't matter, purely looking at it as an analogue to ME3 multiplayer.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Super general question about the game here guys, but if I enjoyed ME3 multiplayer a lot with my friends mostly for the fun repetitive gameplay, and occasional cool loot/characters you got from those packs, would we enjoy Anthem? Story and stuff doesn't matter, purely looking at it as an analogue to ME3 multiplayer.

It's similar, but I prefer Anthem to ME3 multiplayer.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
At the end with the boss. When it crawls back into a hole and spawns a swarm I love using my shield and bulldozering through them, It usually fills my health, ammo and most of my ultimate.

I had another random Colossus as all my friends had bounced for the night. He had the same firwall mortar as me but also the flame thrower for good measure. I took the explosive shot for combos from a distance. We had the swarms that come from that opening scared to walk through our walls of fire and any that were hiding dude was catching with his thrower.

Tossing in an explosive round to that mess and watching like 15+ "combos" pop up along with filling my ult from almost empty never. ever. got old.

Also I tried to name my Colossus "Thicc" and the game straight up t old me to pick a new name LoL :-D i love it.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I believe fire doesn't do extra damage to shields. I think electricity is +50% to shields and ice is +25% as the two shield shredders. I hesitate a little since I don't remember where I read that and I posted the bad info about luck from Gamerant earlier, so it seems there's some bad info out there. Which isn't surprising as the game is so obtuse on how some of these systems work.

Yeah I think I read that just a little while ago, but it was on a site called gaming instincts, and I've never heard of that site, so I took it with a pinch of salt.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That's great to hear. Might just check it out if I can convince my friends! What do you prefer compared to ME3?

Well the few good things reviewers pointed out for this game are about the gameplay loop -- controlling the javelins is so much fun and makes the encounter better than they have any rights to be. It also feels really good when you pull off combos with the rest of the team. In many ways, it's closer to Andromeda's multiplayer (it introduced the jetpack IIRC), but I know it was a step down from ME3.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I had another random Colossus as all my friends had bounced for the night. He had the same firwall mortar as me but also the flame thrower for good measure. I took the explosive shot for combos from a distance. We had the swarms that come from that opening scared to walk through our walls of fire and any that were hiding dude was catching with his thrower.

Tossing in an explosive round to that mess and watching like 15+ "combos" pop up along with filling my ult from almost empty never. ever. got old.

Also I tried to name my Colossus "Thicc" and the game straight up t old me to pick a new name LoL :-D i love it.
The fire wall on the ramp when you have to stay in that circle is really go for giving everyone a break to recharge their shields too. I like the Fire Wall and the siege cannon

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Just did my first Matthias legendary contract and boy that was fucking hard. Had the Lesser Ash Titan and on gm1, that think is lethal. We wiped twice but fucking hell, I'm loving the int ult damage.
Only thing is that you have to jump to literally do any damage to the Titan, and for some reason, you can't jump again straightway, like the button doesn't register a second time, so no insta jumping the second time, have to wait about two seconds (as in jump, land on ground, wait two seconds, and then jump again). BW need to change that, or fix it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Guess it's better late than never, but now the "breaking news" about the game shutting off or bricking the PS4 is all over Youtube.

Only thing I don't know is whether fire shreds shields, and if it does, whether it's as damaging as electricity.

Tried mentioning this to you previously when you were talking about how great Thunderbolt of Yvenia was. Lightning is the shield shredder. Everything else does reduced damage against them comparatively, and fire is what works the best against armor (the yellow health bars). Shielded enemies also happen to be the most annoying in the game so far, which is why Yvenia makes a great secondary for many loadouts.

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sorry that's weird and pretty sure it can harm your ps4 no matter the game. Always, always close the application then hit eject.

Wait people are only just realising you can hover? Are the tutorials different on PC or something because I 100% swear I got a tutorial for everything including hovering, ultimate, appearance changes in the forge, map use and even how to shoot. Am I special?

What do people think the eject button does? It's not a physical eject mechanism like an old 90's top-loading boom box (there is a force eject screw inside the PS4 for emergencies). The PS4 eject button is just a software command. It will close the application in exactly the same way as if you hit the dash and selected close.
And of course, Anthem hard crashes for people when they close from the dash too. Because it's effectively the same command. The game is horribly coded to allow this to happen.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Yea my PS4 Pro shut down too last night, unbelievable what Bioware did with this game. EA will definitely cut Anthem loose for all the problems no way Bioware can recover Anthem with all the issues the game has... I love the gameplay but this is unacceptable

For the time being, BW is pretty safe. The tax breaks and other things EA gets for them being in Canada are pretty nice.

Depends what you started with.

You don't get a choice. Whatever your 1st javelin was on your 1st pilot, is the same javelin you start with on your other 2 pilots. You don't get a choice til you hit level 8 and you can pick from the rest, assuming you've unlocked them with the previous pilot.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Haven't played all day. Got tired of all the shit loot. Probably gonna wait till reset

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just finished the campaign. Quite enjoyed that honestly. A number of the missions devolved into standard "hold this area" or "collect the echoes" designs, but the combat, environmental navigation and fun dialogue throughout kept me happy and I had a good bit of fun. The cutscenes were all well done with some eerily accurate facial animations.

Wish we saw more of the Monitor during the whole thing, but he was a cool villain. I really liked the Heart of Rage mission. Fun battle. Though:

the last we see the Monitor is him limping away and getting crushed by the Strider was a bit anti-climatic.

The ending really opens the doors for more stories in the future. I'm actually really excited to see new story content.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone shits on the Ranger for being bad, but fuck the Interceptor is mostly terrible imo. It seems like most of these abilities aren't good at all.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
Have to now choose between the Thunderbolt of Yvenia or Ralner's Blaze

Obviously the best choice is to just run a mission and see how they personally feel, but I what I DO love about the Thunderbolt is it procs and does nice damage even on shots that otherwise do no physical damage -- like when you hit enforcer shields or non-vulnerable areas of a titan.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously the best choice is to just run a mission and see how they personally feel, but I what I DO love about the Thunderbolt is it procs and does nice damage even on shots that otherwise do no physical damage -- like when you hit enforcer shields or non-vulnerable areas of a titan.

Yeah, Rainer's Blaze has gone back to the vault lol. The Thunderbolt is just too valuable not to use, so just ended up rolling three, and keeping the one with the most decent stats. Sacrificed alot of max armor though :(

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Was thinking of giving this break and to wait for the updates, only to get my first legendary (interceptor component that reloads when you triple dash) and the masterwork devastator in the same free play session....

X9WnudV.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing a lot of Anthem since it launched. Hell, I had a good time playing through the story and building up my Javelin. However, now that I'm done with the story I'm starting to notice a ton more bugs. I wanted to get my character to Level 30 before Destiny's next season started, but Anthem had other plans. The majority of my Quickplay sessions were bugged. I had missions that stalled out and couldn't be finished, crashing to the desktop or title screen and the infinite load glitch. It feels like the game doesn't want me to enjoy it and is actively working against me. It's pretty heartbreaking.
It seems like Quickplay is an issue (at least anecdotally), I feel like it's been a common thread. No receipts, just something I've noticed

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Just had a crash that made me hard reset because it completely removed all audio from the game even when closing and shutting the xbox down regularly.

Im trying REALLY hard to like this pos but its trying me hard.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the campaign. Quite enjoyed that honestly. A number of the missions devolved into standard "hold this area" or "collect the echoes" designs, but the combat, environmental navigation and fun dialogue throughout kept me happy and I had a good bit of fun. The cutscenes were all well done with some eerily accurate facial animations.

Wish we saw more of the Monitor during the whole thing, but he was a cool villain. I really liked the Heart of Rage mission. Fun battle. Though:

the last we see the Monitor is him limping away and getting crushed by the Strider was a bit anti-climatic.

The ending really opens the doors for more stories in the future. I'm actually really excited to see new story content.
I loved his voice, whoever did it is great

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Don't get me wrong it feels good now that I'm getting a lot of purps but I really wish your level didn't affect loot rarity. Would be nice to get a random masterwork or legendary while leveling up.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong it feels good now that I'm getting a lot of purps but I really wish your level didn't affect loot rarity. Would be nice to get a random masterwork or legendary while leveling up.

What is the earliest you can get them? I just got my first (Papa Pump with so so rolls) and I am level 27.

.hacked

Dec 10, 2017
Man Tyrant mine with a full masterwork loaded out colossus is a cake walk on grandmaster 1

Guess time to try out grandmaster 2

Man I really am loving this game, not since Destiny 2 have I had this much fun, these games must be my crack lol

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone shits on the Ranger for being bad, but fuck the Interceptor is mostly terrible imo. It seems like most of these abilities aren't good at all.

Thing is, both classes end up being more weapon oriented, but the Interceptor is better with guns once you get the component that lets you reload by dodging. I would still rank them Storm = Colossus >>> Interceptor (*has a higher skill ceiling and more potential to equal and surpass the previous two) >>> Ranger.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017

I felt the exact same way. I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to them continuing the story.

Oct 30, 2017
"unleash destruction" ;-)

holy shit, this game can´t catch a break

People don't realize that this is the cataclysms they promised.

I would say yes, i loved ME3 multiplayer, though I'm not sure if anything compares to hordes of enemies swarming you while you take a last stand and overcoming the odds in the final seconds of the match, but it's still comparable in some ways. It also depends on how much patience you have for the game booting you out every other loading screen or the other various issues. I've been really enjoying it a lot despite all that and feel it's a highly under rated game.

Yeah I'm not happy with the interceptors abilities. I mostly use ranger so far.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Another freeze in the final part of the triple threath mission when we were just about to kill the third stupid ass titan and also it completly took away all my audio from the game.

Fuck bioware for realesing this broken piece of shit and fuck me for buying it.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I keep telling myself that I'm gonna pull back and wait til after the content drops / bug fixes before I keep playing. And yet I keep jumping back in haha. The core gameplay is just so fun.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Hey all, new to the thread, so forgive me if this has been answered already. Even with all the negative press this game has gotten, I've been at least curious to try this game out, just to get an opinion on it. Instead of buying it, I signed up for a month of EA access so I can at least give the trial a taste on my xbox one x. It's downloading now, so it'll be a bit til I can try it, but just wanted to ask if this game has any value as a single player gamer? It's not the I don't like playing games with people sometimes, I just have no friends to speak of to play with.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, new to the thread, so forgive me if this has been answered already. Even with all the negative press this game has gotten, I've been at least curious to try this game out, just to get an opinion on it. Instead of buying it, I signed up for a month of EA access so I can at least give the trial a taste on my xbox one x. It's downloading now, so it'll be a bit til I can try it, but just wanted to ask if this game has any value as a single player gamer? It's not the I don't like playing games with people sometimes, I just have no friends to speak of to play with.

I did the entire story line solo and never had an issue. After that you'll want to do matchmaking to do the strong holds and probably everything else since it just makes it easier.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I played through all the story missions solo and enjoyed the story and it has some really great characters. Just a warning though some of the missions are tough playing solo.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Thanks for the heads up guys (or gals ^_^), at least I know there is some value in it for me to try by myself.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

The 10hr trial is prob best way to go. If you like it you get the discount greater then the 1 month cost and you also get all the other stuff (money in apex ect..).

You can set stuff to solo but I'd recomend leaving at default and just get matched with randoms. You don't really need to communicate, most missions are pretty straight forward and if you get stuck some one will usually find the solution. Also playing with others you will learn the combo systems and other stuff quicker, you can always do free play if you just want to try stuff out.

You won't get to it in the 10hrs but the combat gets a bit interesting post 30 when you start getting master work gear with cool bonus on them, but you will get a good idea of what the game is in the time you got.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is, both classes end up being more weapon oriented, but the Interceptor is better with guns once you get the component that lets you reload by dodging. I would still rank them Storm = Colossus >>> Interceptor (*has a higher skill ceiling and more potential to equal and surpass the previous two) >>> Ranger.

I just think the Ranger is much more fun being a weapon oriented Javelin. It's abilities almost all at least feal fun, even if they aren't as useful. The intercepter on the other hand doesnt seem to have too many good abilities, and even less fun ones.

I'm sure it's a play style thing, but damn was I disappointed.

Yeah I'm not happy with the interceptors abilities. I mostly use ranger so far.

Ranger is fun as hell, it's definitely a bit weaker than the rest, but damn does so much of it just feel fun. The flying on that Javelin is the absolute best. The way it rolls, the way the arms go out to stabilize, it all is just fun.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
when playing as Storm what is the best primer/detonator combo?...fire + ice?...fire + lightning?...etc

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Hey, I didn't have any friends on X1 that bought Anthem, and so I played the first five or so missions solo. Then I what the hell, and decided to play with randoms. A few of them are now friends!

You can play quite alot of it as solo, although one or two towards the end, you may find tricky. Do a few missions solo if you wish, but then try just one with randoms, and then see how you feel!