• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a shitty design decision by Bioware I have no idea how it made it live. The worst thing a game can do is make you feel like you're wasting your time and that's exactly what this does. I can fly around for 15 minutes without finding an event and then find them back to back to back. Don't even get me started on how bad the map is. Not being able to set a waypoint in 2019 is pretty unforgivable.

Some of these design decisions are legitimately baffling to me, not like hyperbolic 'baffling' but I am serious at a complete loss as to how some of the decisions were included, and omitted from this game.

It really seems like they were 'supposed to implement' some of these BASIC features but I guess didn't have enough time? That's the only thing I can think of.

No multi-crafting, no item stacking, no waypoints, useless fucking map, only three different rifle models, a handful of enemy models, terrible AI, only 3 dungeons, 2 of which are the ones from the story, quickplay not working 70% of the time, challenges that require insane amount of commitment that by the time you complete them, the items you are then able to craft will be obsolete, can only 'press r to expedition' when in a group, can't exp from forge, can't set up and save consumables configurations so you don't have to select them every time you exp, unable to filter by quality or consumable, etc. just basic, basic basic basic functionality implemented in every single game for years now. They had blueprints for this exact type of game and completely botched it.

Bioware is my all-time favorite Dev.. but..

What the fuck happened?

I want like an Anthem Post-Mortem or some ex-employee blog post that details what went wrong.

Excuse my language.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Siege Breaker is great for cc turrets and other yellows from a distance. Does loads of damage to Spider-Boss too!

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Any tips on farming MW weapons? My brother wants one of the spiffy colossus auto cannons but after running mines all day not a single weapon drop.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Some of these design decisions are legitimately baffling to me, not like hyperbolic 'baffling' but I am serious at a complete loss as to how some of the decisions were included, and omitted from this game.

It really seems like they were 'supposed to implement' some of these BASIC features but I guess didn't have enough time? That's the only thing I can think of.

No multi-crafting, no item stacking, no waypoints, useless fucking map, only three different rifle models, a handful of enemy models, terrible AI, only 3 dungeons, 2 of which are the ones from the story, quickplay not working 70% of the time, challenges that require insane amount of commitment that by the time you complete them, the items you are then able to craft will be obsolete, can only 'press r to expedition' when in a group, can't exp from forge, can't set up and save consumables configurations so you don't have to select them every time you exp, unable to filter by quality or consumable, etc. just basic, basic basic basic functionality implemented in every single game for years now. They had blueprints for this exact type of game and completely botched it.

Bioware is my all-time favorite Dev.. but..

What the fuck happened?

I want like an Anthem Post-Mortem or some ex-employee blog post that details what went wrong.

Excuse my language.

This is what worries me most about the future of Anthem. In Destiny and The Division they had the fundamentals right so they just had to add content and more depth but there are so many BASIC things in Anthem that need to be fixed or overhauled completely and that's not even touching the fact that Anthem needs more content, loot, cosmetics, supers, abilities, different/cool/exotic gun models, etc. I just feel like they're so far behind they will never catch up. Regardless I love the look of the game, I love the combat, I just want more of everything and a lot of fixes. I'll keep playing as long as they support the game.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the story with a friend got my first MW weapon during the final mission on normal at lvl 25. Didn't even know they could drop on normal

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
2hR6s4Q.gif

Haven't posted any GIFs in here yet but since I am playing the game and making them thought I might as well post higher quality versions here, haven't progressed much, I'm at level 12 so only unlocked 2 Javelins so far, want to try the Storm next. A few of the rest I've made so far can be found here. :D

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
Planning to buy this game once the price is lowered but this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._is_the_only_game_that_causes_a_complete_ps4/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._system_console_crashes_while_playing_anthem/

What the fuck? Is this true? So many people in it commenting the game forced the ps4 to shutdown during errors. The heck? This is dangerous to the PS4, right?
Me and 3 friends have been playing for more than 6 hrs and haven't had any of this happen yet

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
This is what worries me most about the future of Anthem. In Destiny and The Division they had the fundamentals right so they just had to add content and more depth but there are so many BASIC things in Anthem that need to be fixed or overhauled completely and that's not even touching the fact that Anthem needs more content, loot, cosmetics, supers, abilities, different/cool/exotic gun models, etc. I just feel like they're so far behind they will never catch up. Regardless I love the look of the game, I love the combat, I just want more of everything and a lot of fixes. I'll keep playing as long as they support the game.

Thing is, tons of people seem to be playing it despite those shortcomings AND despite lots and lots of bugs (which kinda blows me away if I'm being honest).

That's the main thing EA will look at in deciding how much more support they give the game: how many are playing, and how well are they monetizing?

Sim

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._is_the_only_game_that_causes_a_complete_ps4/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG..._system_console_crashes_while_playing_anthem/

What the fuck? Is this true? So many people in it commenting the game forced the ps4 to shutdown during errors. The heck? This is dangerous to the PS4, right?

Yeah, some people here have been talking about it happening to them. Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb mentions it multiple times, as well.

I can't say whether or not it's bad for the hardware, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yep, has happened to me twice, not a good feeling when a game crashes so hard it shuts your ps4 down into safemode and you have to unplug it and completely reset.

Yeah, some people here have been talking about it happening. Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb mentions it, as well.

Holy shit, this is the first time I've ever heard a game causing this. This could be dangerous and damaging to the PS4 (and stuff like external HDD), right?

Me and 3 friends have been playing for more than 6 hrs and haven't had any of this happen yet

I mean this is not only one dude reporting, so many people in that thread. And apparently Giant Bomb confirmed it too, as mentioned by Simulator above.

Wow. Out of anything else, this is truly the one that give me pause, because this is potentially damaging to the PS4 itself.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

I thought my PS4 died when it happened to me during the demo lol.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I would Jump, hit left thumbstick and then immediately hit aim to get the javelin to hover (please don't judge me the game dosent tell you in the tutorial at the start)

It took me until the last day of the second demo weekend to realize this also. I kept doing the aiming thing to get into hover too.

Also, speaking of the Ranger javelin, I'm convinced some of the MW traits are completely bugged on it. I keep getting some that say, hit enemy 10 times but I never get the effect no matter how I hit them, whether it's melee or shooting them or shooting them in their weak points.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck? Is this true? So many people in it commenting the game forced the ps4 to shutdown during errors. The heck?

Yep. My PS4 hard crashed once last week while playing, and then it happened to my friend the same night about an hour later. Never had that happen with any other game on PS4 before.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I mean too many force shutdowns like that can't be good for your PS4.
Although the shutdown frequency for Anthem has seemed higher than any other game I've played it is definitely not the first time. It's happened to me so many times I just assumed the hardware is pretty shit tbh. Can't remember if the base model did it also or if most of my issues have been on the Pro. Pretty sure I've had it happen on the dash with no game running too.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

I have over 20hrs with the game on my Pro and have yet to have this happen

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
So, I decided I like the game and want to support more content for it down the road and bought it.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I complained when the game first came out about not being able to track the legionare quests. Now that pop-up about it is all the damn time. Even after being done with the quest. My month of premier expires soon. I hope this continues to get better.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I've had numerous hard shutdowns since release. About half the time when closing the app. Once when updating which is essentially the same thing. Very, very weird, never happened with any other game. Launch PS4.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2hR6s4Q.gif

Haven't posted any GIFs in here yet but since I am playing the game and making them thought I might as well post higher quality versions here, haven't progressed much, I'm at level 12 so only unlocked 2 Javelins so far, want to try the Storm next. A few of the rest I've made so far can be found here. :D

Glad you gave the game a shot, I thought I saw you had decided against it initially. What do you think so far?

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
is there some kind of way to get a minimap on the hud or something?

on ps4 and it is atrocious to try and navigate the game in freeplay while bringing up the map which takes ages to load.... id love to just take a quick peek

and also how do you choose a spot to respawn in freeplay? It doesnt let me select anywhere, its like it randomly respawns me where the game feels like it

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

If I remember right, both of those games had major problems at launch. The Division devs spent a long time getting things to where they are now (a great game), and the fundamentals were not great. They end game was not good. I mean, check this section out in wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_The_Division#Reviews

The progression system was also criticized for being "fractured", requiring that players visit multiple locations with different systems in order to upgrade their abilities, explaining that "[it's] hard to accurately gauge just how strong you really are, and as a result, easy to get in over your head in a mission that your character level indicates you can handle." While noting that its "post-game" content was mainly limited to harder versions of story missions with stronger "bullet sponge" enemies...

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still enjoying Anthem, but I realized something that is kind of baffling to me that none of these recent type of games seems to understand, and even Diablo 3 started with the issue.

The absolute number one important thing to nail in these games is the loot. Story, atmosphere, graphics, systems are all second tier to the loot. You need to have a TON of items, and unique abilities on those items.

If you don't do that properly, it amplifies every other issue with your game and makes people drop off.

Diablo 2 was the pinnacle of a loot game to me. That's not to say they didn't have to fix or tweak items, and even add stuff (the runes system comes to mind). But, they started with a huge loot pool and fun items that augmented builds. It covered up for a cliche story and garbage PVP.

Destiny, division, and anthem have all seemed to launch with garbage loot pools. Diablo 3 also did it, and had to course correct, but they still started with this problem. There isn't enough variation, and the few unique items they do have have such a low chance of dropping it isn't fun to chase them. You can have unique items that are super rare, but you need to have at least decent and fun regular set/rare/legendary items to cover the gap for people until they can find the super rare item or a perfect roll.

I just don't understand how someone decides to make a loot game and doesn't think of and address this right out of the gate.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Anyone else kind of enjoying the limit on flying in a way? I definitely get the appeal of indefinite jets, but it actually kind of feels like a sort of meta game in itself. I'm constantly finding angles and paths to take, waterfalls to fly through, bodies of water to skim across the surface of, etc to extend my flight time.

I wasn't a fan at first but it's grown on me.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
They probably wont fix this but the disappearing enemies and the ones that pop up out of thin air sure are making the game hard to enjoy. Sure, there are other things that need to be addressed, but these are so common in every encounter. I know those tears/portals spawn the enemies into the area, but there are a lot of instances where they appear right in front of you without one being in sight.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else kind of enjoying the limit on flying in a way? I definitely get the appeal of indefinite jets, but it actually kind of feels like a sort of meta game in itself. I'm constantly finding angles and paths to take, waterfalls to fly through, bodies of water to skim across the surface of, etc to extend my flight time.

Me! 100%

Does this mean there is something wrong with me?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California

It's cool flying low on water and catching the cool down from waterfalls as you are making your way around the map. I think people get frustrated when they get loaded into a mission far away from the group and have to play catch up before they get another loading screen. At least that's the problem I have with it being so limited. I know some of the augments help out with that, but it's still kind of annoying. I'd probably enjoy it more if that counter wasn't in place at all tbh.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Been playing some while dealing with health problems and waiting on a Metro patch.

I like it well enough although the structure of going back to town for missions and all of the loading involved is a bummer. However, the characters are ok and more memorable than any other loot shooter I;ve played (including Destiny) so that's a plus. They're not deep or anything but they're well voiced with a nice scene here and there.

Combat is fine. I do lobe being a colossal and running over dudes. I kind of wish they had taken it further with the suits and made you really have to take care of them. Maybe have to fix them as they degrade or something I dunno.

ANyways I hit the tomb point and it is a stopper. I heard the game kind of ends a bit after that right? Seems short.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
So, I decided I like the game and want to support more content for it down the road and bought it.
Hey, same.

I've put in ~50 hours and I'm not even tired of the game yet. I think I just really like the feel of the classes and the combat in general. Probably my favorite looter shooter combat of the bunch that I've tried. (BL2/Destiny/Division/Warframe)

Anyways I hit the tomb point and it is a stopper. I heard the game kind of ends a bit after that right? Seems short.

Eh it took me around 25 hours to do all of the side quests/story and that's before hitting level 30. I remember Destiny's story being much shorter (and a lot almost across the board). For this type of game, the campaign seemed longer than most to me.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Man I have had a bad weekend with Anthem. Poor loot aside, I am constantly freezing. Nothing else on my PC locks up but Anthem.

Even stranger it lets me move the camera around a bit. It's like everything in the game freezes in place and I can turn the camera to float around my Javelin.

Doesn't happen in Strongholds, just out in Freeplay.

I had less issues with Anthem during the Beta and Early Access. Once launch hit everything just went to hell.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Yeah, it's part of the gameplay. You need to think of your path while flying. Sometimes, letting the javelin overheat is also a viable way.