• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I can't be the only one who things that this just...doesn't seem very fun, am I? This is basically what a Character Action Game would look and play like if it had no actual combat system in place other than "LB and RB whenever the cooldown is done". Or if Diablo only consisted of two abilities? The combat is already incredibly simplistic, but taking away the guns and traversal as a end game strategy seems...worse than it was at the beginning?

They are also geared to the point in which they should at least be in GM2 if not GM3. It's like showing off someone in all MW gear "soloing" (even though they actually weren't) Normal.

Anyway, do any Storm players here use Ice Blast (throw chunks of ice)? It seems like the most useless ability, and I can't find any legitimate reasons to equip it over anything else.

And that's what he built with a 100hrs of farming lmao.

If they did it before the nerf, probably around ten.

Elusive Talisman makes all the difference on an Interceptor.

I have no idea what I am supposed to be seeing here.

Storm players, what's your best build?

For overall utility and to actually help with group situations, it's either Legendary Stasis Chain (it doesn't detonate, but can do up to 45K and usually rips through shields entirely and takes enemies to half health or lower if it doesn't outright kill them. Mine ended up with +175% damage.) and Winter's Chill for group CC or Venomous Blaze (does 7K group hit quickly and on the third hit applies acid). Weapons are Elemental Rage and the second one depends on the mission or stronghold and if I am using a non lightning skill to level it up. It's either Avenging Herald or Thunderbolt of Yvenia. Herald was easily the best before the Gunslinger's fix. Still pretty good for bosses. I haven't messed around with Truth of Tarsis on bosses yet though to see how well it works, and the only weapon I am missing that I really want to try is the MW version of Deadeye.

A bug is a problem, but to throw around the term "incompetency" because they took out the bugged issue until they fix it, which is a pretty common thing to do, plus BioWare being pretty fast with more important fixes so far, just comes off as entitled, ignorant and toxic. We avoid the "lazy devs" rhetoric for a reason and this wording (same as many others in all Anthem threads on here) reads pretty much as the the same mindset.

Yeah, the "entitlement" card, even though none of this shit should have been in the launch in the first place. Like no one thought to check it (or the chest farming exploit) before it shipped? But let's commend BioWare for their expedient fixes as we continue to beta test their game for them.

Last edited:

paddyk84

Banned
Jan 31, 2019
Does anyone constantly have that "Open the cortex to check Legionaires challenges" pop up at the bottom of the screen when in free play? Really annoying.

Also, a bit strange how they call it the Library in the menu, but the cortex everywhere else.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can epics be used for consumables at this point or are there no epic ones? Haven't used consumables yet as I only just finished completing the faction story arcs and got to 30. Maybe a trade in 10:1 for the next level up would be fair.
Epic embers can be used to craft epic level consumables for activities, good boosts for e.g. Stronghold runs.
Yes, but you get a ton of them, crafting a masterwork also requires 25 embers which combined with the randomness of the stats makes crafting a pain.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think I have had a few crashes and one or two server drops but overall on the 1X, it's been working well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think I have had a few crashes and one or two server drops but overall on the 1X, it's been working well.
I really wish it had cross-progress, I'd double dip on the X in a heartbeat.

In the event the game gets turned around I have more social options on the PS4 but I'd be lying if I wasn't just considering buying the X version, since I don't think anyone I know will end up playing this to any major extent long-term.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really wish it had cross-progress, I'd double dip on the X in a heartbeat.

In the event the game gets turned around I have more social options on the PS4 but I'd be lying if I wasn't just considering buying the X version, since I don't think anyone I know will end up playing this to any major extent long-term.
Cross progress would be nice. I know they wanted cross play but maybe if the numbers are lower than expected, BW might push for cross play sooner than later.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, today was by far the worst day for bugs. Until today, I was loving the game and have had very minimal tech issues, but I finally see what others have been experiencing: Two "endless mission" bugs, where the mission never advanced past the mission boss; one game crash; and one infinite load bug. I also am not really a fan of how matchmaking is being handled. Please stop pushing me into a group with two other Storms and an Interceptor.

I love what this game has to offer, but man alive does it need some serious fixing. Not just from a content/UI/QoL standpoint either: this mess is bah-roke.
Yeah, I ran into my first big one, it never played a story critical cut scene for me and when I started the NPC's were talking about what happened in the cut scene even though I never saw it. Has to watch in on YouTube

Story spoiler
Fucking Owen

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finished the main story last night, I loved it. I would have liked a little more with one of the guys but that might be picked up in the coming acts.

Game needs some work on the loot front but other then that and the tech bugs what a great time. Looking forward to the updates coming.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Bioware should change the loot chances back to what they were when they were "bugged."

This isn't the type of game (chasing perfect rolls) that should have stingy loot.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Every time I walk to my Javelin on Fort Tarsis there are people that walk in front of me and it's getting fucking annoying lol.

Yeah I get you want to have an "immersive" social area, but c'mon I don't need people crossing and bumping into me each time I walk to my javelin :p
They do it intentionally, every time, they just veer towards you... and some give a really shifty look just as you pass. We need a prompt to elbow in the face, it's the only way they'll learn.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've logged 15hrs into the game so far on the Pro, and just got the Tombs missions, 2 of 4 which were already completed with prior progress. I have 2 javelins, an Interceptor which is what I have been using for the most part and a Colossus. I've actually yet to get hit with a single bug or crash, no major fps dips either at any point during my playthroughs.

So far I'm enjoying the game and taking my time, talking to every character, playing side missions on public matchmaking and critical path ones on private. Although there are problems from a mission design standpoint there's lots of fun to be had here.

I'm actually loving the characters and Fort Tarsis, if anything the only thing I'd add to it is a couple mini-games here and there but for the most part I'm interested in the storylines and how I can affect a character by the end of them.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This particular event in freeplay where you're tasked to keep the sentinels alive is definitely not designed for solo play.

I have no problem whatsoever in any other event, including the titan, but this one is just ridiculous.

Torlain

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Bioware should change the loot chances back to what they were when they were "bugged."

This isn't the type of game (chasing perfect rolls) that should have stingy loot.

Agreed. Saw someone post a hypothetical calculation on reddit for a perfect roll and it's not even achievable in this lifetime lol.

With how wide and varied the inscriptions are on MW+ they should definitely increase the volume of higher quality loot.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm enjoying the game and taking my time, talking to every character, playing side missions on public matchmaking and critical path ones on private. Although there are problems from a mission design standpoint there's lots of fun to be had here.
I've been playing all on solo so far for story purposes, but this is a great idea. Going to do contracts etc. now on public.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So Aztecross apparently did GM3 across a variety of activities, particularly a stronghold and during the entire stronghold his entire squad ended up with one MW, which was the guaranteed one from the boss. Only two of them got that though because the game decided to kick Aztec and one of his friends when they got to the final boss and the game wouldn't even let them rejoin.

So yea, not only does GM2 and GM3 not drop better loot, but it doesn't even drop more of it than GM1 like it said it does.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Side quests aren't really distinguishable from main missions. Everything in Anthem is defending points, dunking basketballs of light or killing waves of enemies; there just isn't any other kind of mission design. A typical side mission would be:

Step 1: Talk to quest giver in Fort Tarsis
Step 2: Get in your suit, fly to a series of waypoints performing one of the three tasks at each
Step 3: Be automatically dropped back at Tarsis, go and talk to quest giver

That completes one stage of the quest. Now you loop back around to Step 1 again for the next stage of the quest (there'll be 3-5 stages in total). Seriously, the reviews aren't kidding when they say that every mission in the game is the same thing.

The biggest problem the game has is the flight. Sure, it feels good, but it turns every mission into "activate no-clip mode and go straight to the boss room".
In all shooters, most of the gameplay is traversing to the boss or objective, followed by some sort of boss fight or objective activation/defence sequence.
Occasionally there is a way to rush past the enemies to reach the next room, but that's usually a risky tactical choice and turns the section into a platforming challenge rather than a shooting challenge.

In anthem, all the traversal is just flying directly to the objective, ignoring the enemies on the way (there are usually no enemies except the wildlife anyway) and occasionally pausing to look at the pretty vista while your jets cool off. You literal never fire a gun or use an ability until you reach the mission objective room/area.
So all the missions feel exactly the same because you're only really playing the last section of what would normally be in a mission.
Imagine playing Destiny or the Division and having all the enemies removed, except for those in the "transport/hold the thing" section. That's what Anthem feels like.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
So Aztecross apparently did GM3 across a variety of activities, particularly a stronghold and during the entire stronghold his entire squad ended up with one MW, which was the guaranteed one from the boss. Only two of them got that though because the game decided to kick Aztec and one of his friends when they got to the final boss and the game wouldn't even let them rejoin.

So yea, not only does GM2 and GM3 not drop better loot, but it doesn't even drop more of it than GM1 like it said it does.

There's no reason to touch GM2 or 3.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Definitely not defending the game, and while it might not be dropping more guaranteed drops, it should still be having a higher chance for the non guaranteed drops. How many strongholds did they do before reaching this conclusion? Regardless, unless your entire group is in all yellows, the efficiency is still probably not even there compared to just doing GM1 ad nauseam.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Definitely not defending the game, but while it might not be dropping more guaranteed drops, it should still be having a higher chance for the non guaranteed drops. How many strongholds did they do before reaching this conclusion?

I don't know as he doesn't say during the video, but as difficult as it looked each chest should be a guaranteed MW drop along with the boss MW drop. To go through a GM3 stronghold that's likely going to take several hours to complete and get nothing but purples, blues, greens, and even white drops with only the boss guaranteeing a MW is a slap in the face, especially since 9/10 times that MW roll is going to be garbage because half the rolls are broken and gear can roll with inscriptions that aren't even useful for that particular piece of gear.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In my entire time playing I hit 2 bugs. One was the freelancer down mission with the infinite portal thing (used to work around on YouTube to finish it) and during the last mission a bad guy got caught behind a force field but we eventually killed it with spash dmg so didn't have to restart. Oh and the servers being down once that gave me a you are banned mesage the gave me a shock. No rubber banding or loading bugs at all, no starting missions and instantly teleporting. Xbox one x has been killing it with this game.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
They made playing the endgame content pointless. Now it's all about stacking +harvest and farming materials for crafting.

That's exactly what it is after you end up with the blueprints. Although good luck crafting MW components in less than 700 hours unless they drastically lower the requirement for the blueprints.

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
I'm In the last story mission on PS4 pro, I like the game great fondations but bioware need to add miningful content quick because end game is not fun right now. I had almost no bugs I really hope EA will support this game for a long time but right now with the first sales reports It seems EA will no longer support Anthem

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They need to revert the drop rate changes. Both the variety and quality of the loot is already a major criticism of the game, so to then make it harder to get is a perplexing decision, regardless of whether the initial release rate was intended.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I personally think they need far more MW items added to the pool. Watching a video that covers all the MW weapons and some are straight trash and need a major rework.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever enjoyed gameplay quite like this. That satisfaction of swooping in on a fight...flying around a titan and dodging waiting on a good opening...the traversal inside missions when the level shows off its vertical chops.

The combat is great and that's mainly going with the interceptor. Luckily I've ran into a handful of bugs. Mainly being disconnected loading after a cinematic.

I really do love the act of setting the javelin up for a mission with whatever weapons and perks you have. Hope bioware has a chance to turn it around cause i don't see my enjoyment fading anytime soon.

Mr.Black

Apr 28, 2018
Finland
Sadly I played one on hard...

Be brave and do the rest on GM :D your teammates will hate you but it's the only way.

Others have already said it but it's worth repeating. There should be at least a couple MW components available for those playing on hard. Now the jump in difficulty going from hard to grandmaster is too big. My main is storm but I'm gearing up a colossus at the moment. The first time I played on GM it was just hiding behind rocks while others killed the enemies. Now I have 4 MW components equipped and can drop attack right into the middle of the action without much fear.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Be brave and do the rest on GM :D your teammates will hate you but it's the only way.

Others have already said it but it's worth repeating. There should be at least a couple MW components available for those playing on hard. Now the jump in difficulty going from hard to grandmaster is too big. My main is storm but I'm gearing up a colossus at the moment. The first time I played on GM it was just hiding behind rocks while others killed the enemies. Now I have 4 MW components equipped and can drop attack right into the middle of the action without much fear.
Yeah since yesterday I've been only playing on GM. Now going to do Hazards Pay legendary contract on GM. I remember playing this contract before. Is this a bug or contracts just keeps on popping back again?

Mr.Black

Apr 28, 2018
Finland
Yeah since yesterday I've been only playing on GM. Now going to do Hazards Pay legendary contract on GM. I remember playing this contract before. Is this a bug or contracts just keeps on popping back again?

Yeah they keep popping back, I've done a few that I remember doing before. Don't know if there is just a set amount of contracts that loop or if it's random which one you get next.

Invicta Fide

Oct 28, 2017
This health bug is absolutely brutal. I've been enjoying the game, but recently this bug is hitting me all the time. I go from being semi-tanky to having 75% fewer armor bars and being incredibly squishy. I haven't changed the difficulty or anything. It's making playing on hard such a pain. One mission I can take some hits, and the next I can't get shot at all.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do you put the difficulty down to solo the main story missions? I just started and I've been joining groups every time on hard difficulty and some of it looks like it would be challenging at my level without help.

As for Fort Tarsis, I'm not entirely a fan of it being first person or the movement, but its slowly growing on me. However, what I find strange is that you and others said it's to quiet, and it was for me in the demo too, but i noticed while playing today that they have a background loop with lots of chatter and people shouting which makes it sound more lived in.

I agree, it's been fun, and I only want to play more, but unlike you the loading screens and disconnects from servers is really wearing on me. Especially the times when you only have an hour to play here and there.
Difficulty is just set to normal. I find the missions so far to be an okay challenge. Some have been harder than others, but nothing that's felt unsuitable for solo play. I'm like you about the first person view. I think I still would have preferred if we saw our pilot in third person but it's growing on me.

There's definitely chatter in the background but I don't know, it's barely noticeable to me. I wish it had that LOUD bazaar feel to it, all sorts of sounds everywhere. And add some great music too! One of my favorite things about the original Mass Effect trilogy was the ambient music in hubs.

Good thing you're talking to everyone, because your choices will affect how Fort Tarsis becomes. The more interactions you have with the people there, the more alive the fort becomes. You'll see a huge difference when you get to the end game, as long as you make conversations with everyone.
Oh wow, I'm really enjoying talking to everyone naturally, so that's that's great to hear!