• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I like this game, I really really do...but it is constantly trying to make me not like it.

The load screens are getting grating at this point.

The constant bugs are fucking perplexing and I cannot believe all of this shit made it to a live launch. I've had enemies despawn on me, I've had World Events just disappear mid fucking event. The servers having some sort of weird ass 2 hour time limit on them before they shut down?

The CONSTANT "Open your Codex to track Legionaire Challenges" on my screen is fucking infuriating. STOP IT with this. How is this a thing?

Earlier when the server shutdown came up, it updated the time left every minute until me and my friend decided we couldn't take it anymore and quit out.

The game has also just blue screen on me twice, and earlier when I went to close it on PS4 it froze my entire system up.

Fuck you EA.

PS4 pro or the OG?

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I'm starting to believe this was launched in an incomplete state that was even more incomplete that originally thought.

There needs to be an option where you can immedately go into another mission rather than having to wait a minute to go to the launch bay, wait another minute for that to load, go to the location to go onto another mission, and wait another minute to get going again.

That and my experience with quickplay is an absoulte joke right now. Either the game throws me into missions right as they are ending which means I get free exp just for stopping by, or throws me into missions where progress has turned into a standstill and glitched, thus people joining don't realize it until nothing happens and have to quit out. And all of that doesn't take into account the amount of times the game has crashed on me.

I don't want to jump onto the "Hate Anthem" train, but the game is really trying to force me to play something else.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I've had zero bugs and one crash. One of my friends are crashing all the time, rng?

Either way, I love this game and we're all having loads of fun.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
What's the verdict on the Legion of Dawn bonuses post-launch? I see an option to upgrade in the PSN Store. In the light of the absence of options for customising the Javelins' physical appearance, does this upgrade hold more value now?

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
I just want to play the game. The bugs, loading screens and connection issues are really bad. I lost sound mid mission and it was just gone even when the mission was over. I also wish I could play every mission solo. I don't enjoy having to catch up to other people online in a mission or end up having to deal with an additional loading screen to bring me to where they are at. The game is beautiful looking and flying around is a ton of fun.

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
That Prism Tactit story line was really neat. Would like to see how the other side of it played out and how it would effect fort tarsis

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
What's the verdict on the Legion of Dawn bonuses post-launch? I see an option to upgrade in the PSN Store. In the light of the absence of options for customising the Javelins' physical appearance, does this upgrade hold more value now?
It's entirely worthless. You can gain coins to buy cosmetics from the store at a decent rate.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone else get weird difficulty spikes every once in a while? I've been playing mostly on hard but every now and then one of the missions is insanely hard. I just had a mission where I was basically getting one-shotted by the basic scar units

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else get weird difficulty spikes every once in a while? I've been playing mostly on hard but every now and then one of the missions is insanely hard. I just had a mission where I was basically getting one-shotted by the basic scar units
I could be wrong, but I feel like part of the difficulty is that damage representation is really poor in this game on all sides of the spectrum. When I shoot and hit an enemy, the response back is quiet. Almost nothing. Numbers jump up, and if I hit a critical area, it glows. Same thing when I get hit myself. Bullets hitting you make just about zero sound, which is extra bad when you can get shot from directions you aren't looking at, and the bullet animations are so fast and quick that all-in-all, it's as if you are getting hit by nothing. I hate to keep comparing, but when I play Apex Legends, my bullets make a different sound when I hit an enemy. And when I get hit, it is loud and I understand I'm getting hit immediately. Anthem is weak in this department. So yeah, rambling...what I'm saying is that I feel like difficulty spikes can partly be accounted for by things that can hurt you fast, because this is a game that does a piss poor job letting you know when you're getting hit in the first place.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm not really feeling the endgame, it's grindy but not in a good way.

My main issue is the loop. There are too much going on between each expedition, while the mission itself is not that long. For example, doing a contract would require you to accept it at certain points in Fort Tarsis, then you go to the expedition. It only takes 5-10 minutes to complete a contract, but combined with the amount of stuff you have to go trough before and after, it takes double the time in total. The Launch Bay helps remedy this problem, but only for a bit. Also, the fact that running stronghold is the best way to get the best loot makes the whole thing about endgame feels more dreadful. Anthem lacks the variety as it is, but pushing people to run the same content over and over again is just bad design. They really need to boost the loot in other activities too, especially freeplay. Roaming around in freeplay doing random events would eliminate the grindy and repetitive feeling of endgame, because you can basically stay there for hours if you want without having to go back and forth to Fort Tarsis. But currently, it's not the best and most efficient way to gain loot as the events are kinda sparse.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see Owen's betrayal coming. With how down he was about being told to stay on the sidelines, I expected him to die trying to unexpectedly help in the middle of a fight or something (especially with how some of the side content's dialogue seemed to be delivered in a way that he could be omitted from reference if he were to, say, die), but I didn't think he would steal the Javelin of Dawn to help the Dominion.
Gotta put the game down for the night due to work in the morning, but I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.

Nablith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
There is a known bug that results in players occasionally having lower health than intended. I'm wondering if this is what you were experiencing.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I've been on the fence about purchasing this after all the nay-saying but the Redbox locations around me finally got this in so I'm happy to dive in.

So far I'm enjoying it a lot but I'm waiting to see when the "grind" kicks in. I love the mobility mechanics and the shooting feels solid enough.

Seeing a well-done Roadmap already laid out gives me hope that this game will get fantastic support and have all the bugs squashed that people are complaining about.

I'm going to see how I feel about it after my 3 day rental and may end up buying it but I've currently got my sights set on The Division 2. This would be a nice supplement to that though because of the mobility system and sci-fi vibe.

I hope everyone is enjoying it! I might hop on with some of you in these next few days!

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Campaign done
Level 30
401 gear score

It was a good weekend. Lots of complaints and recommendations shared between my squad mates. We have faith in the game.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
so you can get all those Daily/Weekly/Monthly challenge stuff from the Main missions and Strongholds?...no need for FreePlay?...I thought some of those crafting items were only available via FreePlay?

You can do anything anywhere outside of world events which are only in Freeplay. I don't focus on strongholds right now unless it's in my daily requirement. It's definitely easier to do your dailies in Freeplay since there's infinite enemies.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
It might be the health bug? Been playing on hard since the beginning and the strongholds have been the only ones where you can actually feel the difference in difficulty.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So tried this on PC today but kept getting connection errors . Is this common ? What's the fix?

I tried changing language like googling suggested but no dice .

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Campaign done
Level 30
401 gear score

It was a good weekend. Lots of complaints and recommendations shared between my squad mates. We have faith in the game.

How do you feel about the FPP town? If we pretend for a moment that loading screens were shorter and less frequent, did you enjoy this aspect?

I don't hear people commenting on this much, but I personally feel the FPP section shouldn't even be in the game. It feels like it chops up the experience too much when what I want to be doing is running around as a mech. It'd be *so* much better if i never actually had to stop being in the mech suit.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about the FPP town? If we pretend for a moment that loading screens were shorter and less frequent, did you enjoy this aspect?

I don't hear people commenting on this much, but I personally feel the FPP section shouldn't even be in the game. It feels like it chops up the experience too much when what I want to be doing is running around as a mech. It'd be *so* much better if i never actually had to stop being in the mech suit.

FPP?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Finished the campaign today. I enjoyed it overall. I'm excited to see where the game goes and I think I can get by with being a pretty filthy casual for a while without falling behind.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I got pretty annoyed at the game last night when my first Masterwork component drop was the Gunslinger's Mark with the bugged inscription.

gunslingers-mark-nerf-740x335.jpg.optimal.jpg

(not my image)

I really want to like the game, but it seems to fight me at every chance it gets.
At this point I just want to get as much as I can out of it before cancelling my EA sub and maybe coming back later when they have a more solid product.

The incredible number of bugs, boring enemy encounters, lack of visual variety in loot, and other weird design decisions are just piling up too much at this point.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I got pretty annoyed at the game last night when my first Masterwork component drop was the Gunslinger's Mark with the bugged inscription.

(not my image)

I really want to like the game, but it seems to fight me at every chance it gets.
At this point I just want to get as much as I can out of it before cancelling my EA sub and maybe coming back later when they have a more solid product.

The incredible number of bugs, boring enemy encounters, lack of visual variety in loot, and other weird design decisions are just piling up too much at this point.

It's not bugged, they disabled it intentionally 2 days ago cause it would stack infinitely.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

(not my image)

ikhmh35tg8i21.png

Even better.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Kind of funny all the times i find myself yelling at the screen playing Anthem due to some ridiculous bug or all the loading, i also find myself going "...i'm kind of really enjoying this". The core gameplay is fun as hell, the javelins and their mechanical design are awesome, and the characters and interactions with them are wonderful. It's all the stuff that stitches the good stuff together that sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Master Blaster Ranger Build:

I have a follow-up video which is a weapon overview of the Truth of Tarsis Legendary Sniper that is used as part of this build.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's not bugged, they disabled it intentionally 2 days ago cause it would stack infinitely.

I figured that was the case, but it's still a bug whether it was one they put in intentionally or not.
The primary bonus for the component doesn't work as intended. Should have just pulled it from the loot table as well, as it just looks and feels terrible
to see that drop.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a chance to play today.

Having fun, one problem, well big problem I have is respawning. Goes into loading screen, then has a chance to load you far from team, then you get ported.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah the respawn limits are kinda crazy at times. That 2nd final boss room is a nightmare.
I landed on one of the outer platforms in clear view of the boss to snipe, and it ported me right in the middle of like 10 acid spewing mobs so I died immediately.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God this game pisses me off with all of the bugs and crashes and all of that.

But I see a real gem underneath all of the bullshit. I think given some time to cook up a few patches and start adding some content and this game could be truly great. It's a shame that it was released in this kind of condition but hey.

I wouldn't recommend buying this game in it's current state, but I plan to stick around and enjoy it as it comes.

Oct 29, 2017
Does hard mode drop masterwork components or only weapons? I've gotten like 5 masterwork weapons to drop so far but no components.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Does hard mode drop masterwork components or only weapons? I've gotten like 5 masterwork weapons to drop so far but no components.

Only weapons, and from a pool of about 8-9 I believe.

The period where GM1 is too difficult but Hard drops almost nothing of value for you is kind of frustrating IMO.
Even if the drop rates were incredibly low, I feel like Hard should at least have a few components and abilities in the loot pool as well.
Especially since Masterwork isn't even the top tier rarity...

Oct 26, 2017

But I see a real gem underneath all of the bullshit. I think given some time to cook up a few patches and start adding some content and this game could be truly great. It's a shame that it was released in this kind of condition but hey.

I wouldn't recommend buying this game in it's current state, but I plan to stick around and enjoy it as it comes.

Agree with every word. Just had a 20 minute mission crash on me as soon as my crew and I completed it

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. The whole time I'm playing it I'm just thinking to myself how good this game could've been with another 6+ months in the oven. I love the core combat but everything else needs so much work.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Finally started playing yesterday and today on my X, only a few hours in (level 6) and...

I'm having a good time? Lol. Just soloing the campaign first before anything else. The combat is really damn fun. I went for the Colossus first and I'm just loving blowing fools up and flying never gets old. Guns feel punchy and that nuke...wew. Going for the Storm second.

Story is fine so far, it's pushing me along and I'm generally interested to see it through and where it goes. I've been taking my sweet time and reading up every single Cortex entry and some of them are pretty funny lol.

And I guess it just depends on your tastes but Fort Tarsis feels like a cozy home to me. I'm really liking coming back after expeditions and seeing what's new, chatting up all the characters. I'm genuinely connecting with most of them. Yarrow, Owen, Zoe, Prospero, Max the bartender, even that creeper Neeson Giles lol. Each with their own little stories. This part feels like BioWare to me. My only complaint about it would be that it *sounds* empty. It feels like a bazaar so I wish it'd be bustling with noise and convos going on, and throw in some nice background music while exploring...

Loading times haven't been too bad really, except for maybe launching a new mission, sometimes taking 20-30 seconds. But it generally doesn't bother me, I'm fine just sitting and waiting lol. And I do wish we could set waypoint markers on the map. It'd help navigation so much. Had a few error disconnects here and there but nothing that's got on my nerves yet. Other than those things...game's great so far.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can see that tarsis changed quite a lot since I started my game. Is it a huge game changer? No. But it is a nice touch and it is nice to see that characters I talked to turned their life around because of our talks

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping I can find this game for $40 soon.

Despite the many gripes I've heard with this game I'm actually pretty interested in the world. I think the game looks beautiful and I was actually pretty impressed by what I've seen of the first person conversations. Thing is, I pretty much only want to play this solo and I couldn't care less about loot or long combat encounters.

Is the game satisfying for a solo player just in it for the story/world? I can already see based on other people's reviews that the few distinct mission types mostly being horde encounters and moving some balls to spots would get dull after a while. Plus I'm pretty miffed about the very limited character customization. I dont care all that much about weapon drops but I would care about finding new armor pieces to make myself look spiffy and different as I did from the beginning. Also generally I expect 20-30+ hours out of my RPGs but I'm hearing it's actually rather short if you just care about story content, which is the primary reason I dont want to get it at full price.

I'm still willing to give this game a shot as I dont really let reviews shape my opinion on something (I've loved my share of low scoring games). But I fear that this game is mostly just a looter shooter and as an RPG (and open world fan) there isn't much there for me besides the premise.