• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Quickplay only works on missions and contracts? Can't seem to find other options like strongholds for example

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I checekd it:
  • Melee Defeats: 14/50
  • Weapon Defeats: 30/30
  • Weak Point Defeats: 15/15
  • Gear Defeats: 12/30
  • Ultimate Defeats: 0/50
  • Combo Triggers: 1/15
  • Multi-kills: 1/3
That suggests you spent time shooting things in the head and getting in the enemy's face but not making much use of abilities. Zero ultimate defeats? It's not there to be saved for a special occasion, if you're not spamming your abilities and just going pop pop with a gun, you're kinda not doing yourself any favours.

• Treasure Chests: 1/15
  • Javelins Repaired: 1/3
  • Collectibles: 0/10
  • World Events: 1/5
  • Missions: 1/3
Just one mission, one events, no pickups and a single chest. Nothing an hour or so of freeplay wouldn't massively put right.

These thigns are supposed to track from level 3 now, right? Or have they not implemented that yet? The way to play at this point is to ignore it for a few hours, do side stuff, then do a bit of freeplay to mop up the rest. It looks a lot worse than it actually is, it's all just stuff you do in the game anyway.

The way this game deals with a certain mid-to-late-ish game plot twist is just laughable.
It's not like the other characters don't ever mention him, they do quite a lot. Even when you're just passing by and not interacting with them. The story isn't one and done. I mean it seems obvious he's going to be back in later content drops and that will all play out then.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate how they made the mini objective to stand on a point to defend last longer on GM. My last Tyrant Mine squad was standing on the ramp instead of the point, so I stood outside of it so it would turn red and grab their attention, but they still didn't budge. So I went afk and grabbed some food. 8 minutes later, finally completed the objective.

I've always assumed that the progress bar fills quicker the more people you have standing on the platform, but haven't actually been able to confirm it since there's always 1-2 people that feel the need to run down the ramp (even if it's just right outside the perimeter!).

You know what's worse than that though? Those dumb "You must silence the relic" missions. Unlike most missions where you have to finish off the remaining enemies anyway--so it's fine to just kill them first--the one that has the relic that spawns enemies will continue to spawn them until it's silenced. People will just sit there and fight the enemies without bothering to grab the shards. I know what to do, so it gets done, but it's still hilarious to see this. They will just fight indefinite waves because they don't realize what's going on.

I think the loading screen issue is overblown on PC...with my 860 EVO it's a few seconds at most...no big deal but I'm guessing on consoles it must be a lot worse which can be frustrating...the gun variety is an issue but since I prefer playing as Storm that doesn't bother me as much since I mostly prefer using the Abilities

I don't believe this at all. I have both a 960 Evo and an 840 Evo and the loading times for missions are approximately 40s - 45s on both. Not only is it that long for the mission loading, there's also the 5s-10s for every other loading screen that goes on from the time you hit start until the time you get back to Tarsis. The loading screen times and amount are not overblown in the slightest. Yes, consoles have to suffer through even longer loading screens at times for some games, but they aren't really comparable hardware unless you're running something super ancient.

Nerf to drop rates sucks, but in terms of maintaining player retention, it's a natural move.

Not really. People are going to get sick of being stuck in Hard/GM1 doing the same repetitive missions and strongholds for nothing quicker than if the drop rate had not been nerfed. Even after you get MW items, there's still that long grind ahead of crafting them as well. The loot system in this game is stupid in the first place. Not enough interesting things to do to get it, and no incentive to do certain activities like boss specific, or even mission specific stuff. This is why chest farming was a thing in the first place. What Bioware has been doing over the past few days is floundering, trying to bandaid the mortar holes in their sinking ship.

Last edited:

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writing in the game is WAY BETTER than ME:A. Absolutely love the characters in ANTHEM and I really hope it carries over to a single player RPG. Still liking this story way more than I thought I would.

Eh? The story is absolute nonsense and there is no incentive to talk to the characters, their world doesn't exist beyond the borders of the extremely confined Fort Tarsis solo hub. At least when someone in Andromeda talk to you about looking out for a family member, you could actually, you know, find that person in the game world.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These thigns are supposed to track from level 3 now, right? Or have they not implemented that yet? The way to play at this point is to ignore it for a few hours, do side stuff, then do a bit of freeplay to mop up the rest. It looks a lot worse than it actually is, it's all just stuff you do in the game anyway.

It must have tracked some retroactively, since I already had some things checked off the list when I began, but I still had a shit ton left to do. I found navigating the map to be very difficult (I couldn't even figure out how to fly to the tombs because of all the artificial walls) and I just had no appetite to fly around looking for items on the list like treasure chests and broken javelins and so on. They don't even let you track your progress on screen as you play. You literally have to dive multiple steps into the menus just to check what you have to do. I literally wrote them down on another screen so I had a reference when I was initially trying to complete them, and that's a fucking joke.

I respect that some people think having to do this a few hours into the game as part of the main quest is fine, but I just couldn't bear it. This might be okay as optional content to grind towards faction rewards or something, but it's not really okay as part of the main quest

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Did they fuck up the loot drop rate? I played a few contracts earlier and there was basically no loot drops before the very end. It's like random mobs stopped dropping stuff.
And all contracts I did involved flying for one minute or more from objective to objective at some point during the mission. The locations were so far apart. That ruins even the flying... it's just way too much downtime.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Did they fuck up the loot drop rate? I played a few contracts earlier and there was basically no loot drops before the very end. It's like random mobs stopped dropping stuff.
I went through a stronghold yesterday and got zero drops outside of the chests and boss. I even flew around checking. But then I did another and had 8-10 drops from enemies, including a Masterwork drop. It seems inconsistent... I guess that's RNG for you.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
The writing in the game is WAY BETTER than ME:A. Absolutely love the characters in ANTHEM and I really hope it carries over to a single player RPG. Still liking this story way more than I thought I would.
Can not agree with that in the least. I played both games back to back. Characters in Andromeda have personality and at least a somewhat interesting backstory. You have nothing of that in Anthem. They are all just cardboard characters. Haluk and Faye are the only interesting ones but they didn't capitalize on the chance to flash them out. There is just not enough there. The whole "Monitor" thing is laughable.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
And all contracts I did involved flying for one minute or more from objective to objective at some point during the mission. The locations were so far apart. That ruins even the flying... it's just way too much downtime.
Yup they lowered the drop rate

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Nerf to drop rates sucks, but in terms of maintaining player retention, it's a natural move.
Definitely can be the case but I think the difference here is that the loot is few and uninspired in terms of variety and things to chase outside of the numbers min-max grind. When the loot's boring anyway, reducing the frequency of it stings even more. If we were talking rare armour sets or visually distinct weapon models with interesting perks then I'm sure there'd be less concern over having to grind for it.

Mr.Black

Apr 28, 2018
Finland
Definitely can be the case but I think the difference here is that the loot is few and uninspired in terms of variety and things to chase outside of the numbers min-max grind. When the loot's boring anyway, reducing the frequency of it stings even more. If we were talking rare armour sets or visually distinct weapon models with interesting perks then I'm sure there'd be less concern over having to grind for it.

Diablo 3 had this very same problem and turned things around. Even Division increased the drop rate, gave us a re-roll/upgrade mechanic and players were very happy.

Bioware said they are trying to do something new and different but they are just repeating the same mistakes looters have made years ago. It's fine for those KingGothalion types that really enjoy the long grind but not everyone can play as much.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Diablo 3 had this very same problem and turned things around. Even Division increased the drop rate, gave us a re-roll/upgrade mechanic and players were very happy.

Bioware said they are trying to do something new and different but they are just repeating the same mistakes looters have made years ago. It's fine for those KingGothalion types that really enjoy the long grind but not everyone can play as much.
Yeh, I'm definitely in favour of loot abundance in conjunction with interesting perks and rolls. I've put a lot of hours into both Diablo 3 and Destiny so appreciate how either end of the loot frequency scale can still result in a good time. The crux of it is the loot itself though, and Anthem completely dropped the ball with it. To a mind-boggling degree.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is with everyone trying to make a Thanos villain? We have one here in Anthem and even though I like Destiny 2 quite a lot - The villain of the vanilla campaign is Thanos again. I'm tired of this XD

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What is with everyone trying to make a Thanos villain? We have one here in Anthem and even though I like Destiny 2 quite a lot - The villain of the vanilla campaign is Thanos again. I'm tired of this XD
"Big bad guy that wants to find and control some ultimate power" goes a little further back than Thanos, unless I'm missing some moment where Ghaul was chasing infinity stones or planned to wipe out half of life for the benefit of the universe? I feel like Ganondorf and Triforce pieces would be a closer fit sans space.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Who told BioWare that one button for interacting, reloading and changing weapons is a good idea?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Big bad guy that wants to find and control some ultimate power" goes a little further back than Thanos, unless I'm missing some moment where Ghaul was chasing infinity stones or planned to wipe out half of life for the benefit of the universe? I feel like Ganondorf and Triforce pieces would be a closer fit sans space.

I'm talking about a big beefcake monster who seems charismatic and conflicted. Just viscerally both of those examples reminded me so much of Thanos. Ghaul, the main villain from Destiny, wanted the light of the traveler for himself but he wanted to do it the "right" way. Monitor in Anthem talking to the captive woman reminded me a thousand percent of Thanos talking to any of his victims and his voice acting even seemed patterned after him

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Got to a point where some characters lament a fictional program for its story line in which a ship becomes sentient and enters into an awkward relationship with the pilot. It didn't seem to be delivered with any kind of self awareness, I hope it was there, it hurt me regardless.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Got to a point where some characters lament a fictional program for its story line in which a ship becomes sentient and enters into an awkward relationship with the pilot. It didn't seem to be delivered with any kind of self awareness, I hope it was there, it hurt me regardless.

Crap on Anthem all you like, but don't you dare start on Crimson Lancer.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Finally getting there. Good overall power to jump in GM1 now?

0K6KPhO.jpg

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The rest of what? Reloading and switching weapons? It's just different. It's not bad people aren't use to it.

No, you shouldn't have to physically look at the button prompt the whole time you're interacting with something. Activating things, picking up relic pieces, reviving team mates; all several seconds you have to spend staring at a button prompt and doing nothing else because if you turn away you can't interact with it any more. It's silly.

Oct 27, 2017
If you are reviving your teammate and look around for enemies it cancels the revive.
The fact that if you look away the action cancels.

It shouldn't.

Releasing the button cancels. You should also be able to look for enemies while you loot and revives.
No, you shouldn't have to physically look at the button prompt the whole time you're interacting with something. Activating things, picking up relic pieces, reviving team mates; all several seconds you have to spend staring at a button prompt and doing nothing else because if you turn away you can't interact with it any more. It's silly.

I mean that's the same for most games I thought. I'm pretty sure destiny is the same way.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Three missions today. One crashed the game, second was fine and the third got disconnected during the cutscene at the end (fuck the story I guess). Really poor.

..and the game just crashed again while I've been typing this waiting to log back in. What a joke.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Three missions today. One crashed the game, second was fine and the third got disconnected during the cutscene at the end (fuck the story I guess). Really poor.

..and the game just crashed again while I've been typing this waiting to log back in. What a joke.
I'm curious which platform you playing on. I only crashed two times and the crashes were before the day one patch

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm curious which platform you playing on. I only crashed two times and the crashes were before the day one patch
PS4 Pro here. Ran better yesterday with some performance hitches and load times but only a single crash. This morning has been awful though.

Servers seem poor all around as well, have been kicked to the title screen from freeplay and missions on a pretty frequent basis.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
PS4 Pro here. Ran better yesterday with some performance hitches and load times but only a single crash. This morning has been awful though.

Servers seem poor all around as well, have been kicked to the title screen from freeplay and missions on a pretty frequent basis.
Yeah I assumed it's PS4. I'm sure it's platform related because many of my mates on PS4 are facing the same issue. I've been getting server shutdown messages since last night

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Finally getting there. Good overall power to jump in GM1 now?

0K6KPhO.jpg

As I previously said, the power level is misleading. You can jack it up by having two MW weapons equipped and only one MW component. The components are what make the biggest difference. So it's hard to say if you're ready or not without knowing what your components look like. As a Storm though, you have more wiggle room than the other javelin types, so just try it out and see how it goes.

BTW, Papa Pump doesn't seem to affect anything other than the damage of itself. I thought it worked on the Ultimate and skills, but it doesn't seem to.

Torlain

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Welp... I think my MW special attributes aren't triggering.

Chaotic Rimes Winter Boost is not showing as well as Amulet of Winters effect. For some reason it's showing as Mark of Ruin.

Need these to trigger so I can tackle GM1 and beyond.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Don't do Quickplay. Twice in a row I end up in someones bugged game where either a trigger doean't trigger or in one case all our players were outside the area we were supposed to be and only had 5 seconds to get there. It was a perpetual loop - trying to get to the destination then all of us being re-spawned back again. Good grief.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's the same for most games I thought. I'm pretty sure destiny is the same way.

You can move while reviving a team mate in Destiny which allows you to dodge some of the incoming fire. You can't in The Division but the person who is down can crawl to cover. Despite all I'm having fun with Anthem but some design decisions are just weird.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
You can move while reviving a team mate in Destiny which allows you to dodge some of the incoming fire. You can't in The Division but the person who is down can crawl to cover. Despite all I'm having fun with Anthem but some design decisions are just weird.

The colossus can manoeuvre while reviving with his shield up, as long as you are still roughly facing the revive target. Would be nice if everyone could move and look around as long as you are within a small radius.

Cadaveria

Jan 24, 2019
So I played the 10 hour early access, and most of this weekend, but sadly I went on Microsoft support and I wasn't expecting them to refund me given the amount of time I played around 20 hours, but they were happy to do it.
The funny thing is though I felt bad for doing it, did the devs really care for what they were making?, Anthem may indeed get better over time and I wanted to support the devs, the game did have some great moments obviously the world itself and combat. However I was playing, having fun then suddenly it just hit me, not being able to just press start and swap out weapons, or change up a skill, especially since I was playing coop with a friend, and I just realized how un friendly the game is about "playing the way you want to play", going through multiple loading screens was forcing me to play with a familiar setup because of how frustrating all this loading was just to test out new builds.
Then we got to a story mission where you fly over to the objective, a cinematic starts up you're out of suit, then afterward you're back out in the world shooting enemies, the most jarring and immersion breaking thing. Instead of the game showing us getting out of our suit and entering the building, then running out and jumping back into the suit, you know some kind of seamless transition?, but no we just get a loading screen.. all the 1st person stuff in this game almost feels like the game is running not only on two different game engines, but that you're also playing two different games, a lot of the 1st person stuff just feels like the game is in slow motion.
I never got any interesting loot, all the weapons looked the same, I only ever unlocked two armor peices, I have no idea if there are any more, but leveling up never made it feel as though my character was changing since I always looked the same.
So in the end the entire refund prosses I kept saying to myself, do I really want to do this, I am having fun I just don't know what to do, but I kept moving forward with it answering the support question and before I new it.. it was over, I wasn't angry or dissapointed... just sad, there is so much potential here, but no love.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Because how badly this game has been designed at technical and gameplay loop level it feeds people to do this moronic "Que Stronghold, rage quit after getting 1st chest" farming loop resulting absolute metric shit ton of 100% broked Strongholds that never can be finished, missions that are hard locked to specific spot etc.

This game in so many ways is currently unplayable without premade stack and seems like that getting such grp in ERA is very difficult.

So much about this games design is telling you not to play it.

Edit: BW isn't just repeating all mistakes of Destiny and Division, they are making new and worse ones

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Some of you guys are hilarious.
I'm loving the game honestly.
Not sure how the endgame will be (i usually don't stick around for long after the main campaign) but i'm loving the gameplay loop.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god. The tethering in this game is complete shit. It's so bad that it even confuses itself. On the latest Legendary mission, I was in the front to the next waypoint. Then the message pops up that I have 10s to get back to the mission area. Then we ALL get transported back to the place we just left, and so the next time instead of taking the right path, we took the left, same shit over and over. We couldn't progress because no matter where we went, we were somehow out of bounds on the way to where we were supposed to be going.

BioWare said they made it more lenient, but it's been far worse since they "fixed" it.