• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I just played for a couple of hours and I feel like this game is really bad at giving you feedback. If I'm not paying attention I can't really tell if my shield is broken or I am about to die. Grenade indicator is pretty vague to me also.

The guns don't have any weight and killing enemies are so unsatisfying. I feel like theres no difference on how and where I shoot. The only satisfying thing so far is doing the Storm's special because everything blows up good.

Maybe this is just me not being used to it but I hope things get better soon.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Some may say I'm kinda reaching here. But believe me, I work in this industry (marketing) and this kind of subtle, invisible strategy like this is pretty common.

It was 100% transparent to me as is the four player "it's best to play together" message as well (that's when I just noped the fuck out of them entirely and mashed ESC to get through the dialogue for the faction rep). The reason co-op is "the best way to play" is only partially for the actual gameplay. The other is to incite envy of what some other player in a cooler_than_yours javelin is wearing. That's going to work a lot better than some think. The issue right now though is that there isn't even enough in the store for that aspect to actually matter yet.

As soon as I enter an area, the enemies despawn into nothingness... is that a bug?

No... I'm just that godlike.

Happens everywhere to everyone. The better bug is when you start blowing up enemies as they are spawning in. 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0...
The despawning is infuriating when you're trying to finish the MW weapon challenges (kill X Legendary enemies to get Y MW blueprint) when they do it near death.

i think this is the best build in the game, 4.5 million damage

https://reddit.app.link/ALcsqNJAvU

It for sure is. I do it as well when I'm bored, but normally I only have 1-2 dash buffs up. Might see about killing the Tyrant in four seconds though on a run just for giggles. And yes, it's totally a bug. Abuse it while it lasts.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It was 100% transparent to me as is the four player "it's best to play together" message as well (that's when I just noped the fuck out of them entirely and mashed ESC to get through the dialogue for the faction rep). The reason co-op is "the best way to play" is only partially for the actual gameplay. The other is to incite envy of what some other player in a cooler_than_yours javelin is wearing. That's going to work a lot better than some think. The issue right now though is that there isn't even enough in the store for that aspect to actually matter yet.
I just read people claiming their friends straight up spending more than 200 Euros on the vanity store as soon as they have access to it. Some people are just helpless.

Only 9 more chests and 8 more collectables before I can move on with the campaign. Wooo..
Collectibles are very easy to come by, but chests are more tricky. Check this out.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
I just read people claiming their friends straight up spending more than 200 Euros on the vanity store as soon as they have access to it. Some people are just helpless.

Almost every matchmake session I play, people have spent money on customisation. EA gonna make some money.

It probably helps the game has NPCs which tell you that you should customise your javelin constantly.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Oh shit, I forgot that I started with a huge surplus of gold simply because of it being the LoD version (had 180K after level 30 and capping three factions to rank 3). Do people with the base game start with 0g?

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, I forgot that I started with a huge surplus of gold simply because of it being the LoD version (had 180K after level 30 and capping three factions to rank 3). Do people with the base game start with 0g?

No I think we all start with a base of about 40k coins.. just that some people can't help themselves...

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Yep, this game is fun as shit with friends. It runs much better than the demo, and so far no game breaking issues. We started out on hard from the very first mission and the extra challenge makes the encounters much more interesting off the bat. Already had to coordinate and combo shit as well as work as a team. The colossus is so fun. The having shield up while reviving teammates was such a crucial addition. Can't wait to play more.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's annoying. Was in the middle of dialogue with The Monitor, and because my team flew ahead it cut to a loading screen and I missed the rest of it. Then I was loaded in and then the mission was over so it went to another loading screen.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, starting javelin determines your starting coins. 1 javelin gives you 40k, so people who got lucky and unlocked all javelins from the start would have 160k or so. You can barely buy anything with 40k coins at the start, not even the N7 vinyl.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Bought me the N7 vinyl, no regrets. Why wouldnt 40k be enough for it im pretty sure it was 36k

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Regular peasant edition gamers like me get 40K
Same amount with LoD edition.

Played since launch (ps4 pro), slight hiccup getting in, one random disconnect w hile I was in the forge but smooth otherwise. Expected more connection issues tbh. Shame about HDR not working, game looks nice.

Tarsis is much improved over demo, sprint speed is fine. As well noted there are a lot of loads but most are fairly quick on an external ssd. Frame rate seems fine running 1080.

Gonna sleep and jump back in in the morning!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Played a bit more and reflected on why I dislike the game. My biggest problem with Anthem is the lack of a true sandbox experience. The moment-to-moment gameplay just isn't that fun. When it works it's mostly because the mech suits are fun to control. I'm missing a more systemic approach to combat and the overall sandbox. Enemies are just there, they don't have any real roles in combat or pose any specific challenge to the player outside damage.

This is why Destiny works. Each faction has a set of enemies that each have a certain role in combat. It's really smartly designed because each of those enemies bring something to a fight. Each enemy was also designed so that you could have multiple factions fighting you at once, with interesting combination providing different types of gameplay. It also allows for very extreme situations where the player is has to fight multiple instances of a otherwise weak enemy, suddenly making them a challenge. The player constantly has to adapt. There's also great interplay between the various damage types, player movement, melee, grenades and abilities.

There's none of this in Anthem. Every enemy just rushes at you or does hitscan damage. Abilities are not fun outside some of the Storm stuff. There is no rhythm or flow to the combat, it lacks impact and weight. The way you deal damage feels a lot like older MMORPGs, there's just this feeling of latency and lag to everything. It doesn't feel like a single player game like Diablo or Destiny in terms of impact and feedback.

In Destiny I can run around and shoot for 30 minutes without any goal simply because the sandbox is so much fun. This feels empty and meaningless in Anthem, which is a huge shame since the traversal system has so much potential.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Played a bit more and reflected on why I dislike the game. My biggest problem with Anthem is the lack of a true sandbox experience. The moment-to-moment gameplay just isn't that fun. When it works it's mostly because the mech suits are fun to control. I'm missing a more systemic approach to combat and the overall sandbox. Enemies are just there, they don't have any real roles in combat or pose any specific challenge to the player outside damage.

This is why Destiny works. Each faction has a set of enemies that each have a certain role in combat. It's really smartly designed because each of those enemies bring something to a fight. Each enemy was also designed so that you could have multiple factions fighting you at once, with interesting combination providing different types of gameplay. It also allows for very extreme situations where the player is has to fight multiple instances of a otherwise weak enemy, suddenly making them a challenge. The player constantly has to adapt. There's also great interplay between the various damage types, player movement, melee, grenades and abilities.

There's none of this in Anthem. Every enemy just rushes at you or does hitscan damage. Abilities are not fun outside some of the Storm stuff. There is no rhythm or flow to the combat, it lacks impact and weight. The way you deal damage feels a lot like older MMORPGs, there's just this feeling of latency and lag to everything. It doesn't feel like a single player game like Diablo or Destiny in terms of impact and feedback.

In Destiny I can run around and shoot for 30 minutes without any goal simply because the sandbox is so much fun. This feels empty and meaningless in Anthem, which is a huge shame since the traversal system has so much potential.

Don't agree with this at all. The combat is great, the loading, bugs and the weak RPG elements are the issues IMHO.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Doing GM1 stuff outside of normal contracts is impossible to complete for me. People don't know what the fuck they are doing. They die in the first 5 seconds of the spider stronghold for example. Not even the first boss, the first enemies. They rush in and get melted. And even on hard, at least two people will leave before the final boss. My GM1 experience has been terrible! The 400+ item level is just a suggestion right? There is nothing stopping a level 30 from equipping all level 1 grays and queuing up for a stronghold on GM?
I have no idea how people got all their masterwork. Better pug luck with matchmaking? Should I just do a few strongholds on hard instead of GM1? There is no guaranteed MW at the end but I'll at least (maybe) get a few along the way.

I am maining Ranger at the moment and while the "freeze enemy, shoot enemy with pulse blast" combo is super strong, it gets kinda old and tedious now. Legendary contracts for example have so many enemies with so much health that being single target is really not fun. Other combos work but aren't as effective imho.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Don't agree with this at all. The combat is great, the loading, bugs and the weak RPG elements are the issues IMHO.

That's great for you, I guess. I agree that the issues you mention are bad, but for me, they just sit on top of some even deeper core design issues that will never get resolved.

In your case, it means the game will eventually be great because bugs and loading issues are probably fixable in the long run.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
To be fair, sounds like one of the more enjoyable parts of the game.

Is there even that much (€200) for sale cosmetics wise, thought there weren't loot boxes?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
How is there less weapon and armor variety than a Mass Effect game? It's like Bioware didn't know they were making a loot shooter. It's crazy.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
That's great for you, I guess. I agree that the issues you mention are bad, but for me, they just sit on top of some even deeper core design issues that will never get resolved.

In your case, it means the game will eventually be great because bugs and loading issues are probably fixable in the long run.
Yes I hope so :)

I am ok with the combat loop.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm switching to Storm as soon as I can. The Ranger's abilities are pretty boring. Is it hard to play as a Storm at endgame?

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
After playing for the last two hours I can see why this is fun. I can also see the issues people have. I have faith that Bioware will continue to improve the formula and it will be worth keeping.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I haven't played in 4 days because I never felt like doing the stupid "open 15 treasure chest" quest. How do I grind them out as fast as possible so I can finally continue in the story?

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
I haven't played in 4 days because I never felt like doing the stupid "open 15 treasure chest" quest. How do I grind them out as fast as possible so I can finally continue in the story?

Maybe this helps. Freeplay locations of chests. Do it on easy and if you see a mission do it, the chest at the end counts too.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
I'm massively on the fence with Anthem. I really want to buy it today but literally all the reviews say its a unfinished game, story doesn't gel with multiplayer and its really repetitive. Oh and the load times.

I still want to get it though. I hope that Bioware can fix these things. I'm not sure if they will though, if it doesnt sell well at launch EA wont allow BW to spend years on it fixing these issues; it will simply be a sunk cost and they will move onto the next project.

On the latest Kotaku podcast they say Anthem needs it "The Taken King" moment. I presume this means they need to take another year redesigning some fundamental systems.

What do you think Era, is it worth my time right now ?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm massively on the fence with Anthem. I really want to buy it today but literally all the reviews say its a unfinished game, story doesn't gel with multiplayer and its really repetitive. Oh and the load times.

I still want to get it though. I hope that Bioware can fix these things. I'm not sure if they will though, if it doesnt sell well at launch EA wont allow BW to spend years on it fixing these issues; it will simply be a sunk cost and they will move onto the next project.

On the latest Kotaku podcast they say Anthem needs it "The Taken King" moment. I presume this means they need to take another year redesigning some fundamental systems.

it is not great game, but get the origin access premium 1 month membership and play through it, make your feeling up based on that its a smallish investment and there are a lot of other games you get access to.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019

Depends. If you are on PC, listen to Dan above me and get it with Premier. Play it for a month. I am over 30 hours now and can not recommend it for $60 bucks. On console I would wait until they improve it and add more end game content.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

I'm enjoying my time so far (on a premier sub) but I wouldn't recommend shelling out full price for what it is currently. Destiny at launch felt better than Anthem, like with Destiny I could really see the foundation was there, with Anthem I'm struggling to find out how they're gonna fix some thing without a big redesign. Nothing really comes together. In terms of comparison I would say it's closer to Fortnite STW than Destiny in terms of how you play the game, but even Fortnite STW you could at least change your weapon loadout in a map.

Like there is a ton of good stuff here to enjoy (animations are good, sound effects great, but personally I cannot seem to get invested in the story but that stems mainly from how frustrating I find Fort Tarsis) , but it feels really disjointed. Like The Taken King was built upon the foundations laid by Destiny. With Anthem they need to do much more than a "The Taken King" moment to get it to that level.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

for $60? i think most would say wait

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Has there been any word about fixing the performance on PC after the patch?

I could even put up with a worse frame rate for a bit...but the stuttering they introduced with the patch makes the game almost unplayable.

I tried to look up workarounds but seems like no one has found any. Might just try to reinstall.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Has there been any word about fixing the performance on PC after the patch?

I could even put up with a worse frame rate for a bit...but the stuttering they introduced with the patch makes the game almost unplayable.

I tried to look up workarounds but seems like no one has found any. Might just try to reinstall.
Apparently they are working on it this is the first I have seen official mention of it:

I hope it comes soon because it's horrible how it performs after the patch

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In additoin to the map you got linked, you get one chest for every world event, multiple for every stronghold you do, every contract etc. Myself and a couple of friends did this yesterday (one new player) within 1h of free roaming (we didn't use the map, just exploring).

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it is a bug or working as intended, but someone reported on the bug list that when he used quickplay, he was loaded into the ending cutscene, he was probably in the final mission

and he was level 6 lol he then realized the ending was spoiled for him

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How's the performance on Pro (after patch) and how big is the download? I might not have enough time to try it out after work if the patch is huge

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I have no idea how people got all their masterwork. Better pug luck with matchmaking? Should I just do a few strongholds on hard instead of GM1? There is no guaranteed MW at the end but I'll at least (maybe) get a few along the way.

Chest farming in freeroam on GM3. You can still have some success with that, but nowhere near levels of pre-nerf gains. That is how most in the game skyrocketed their MW amounts and gear score. Also to keep in mind is that on Hard you can't get anything else than 6 different MW weapons from MW pool of loot. So for e.g. components that are CRUCIAL for survival in GM 1 to 3 wont be dropping for you on Hard, only on GM 1 or higher.

I would say push Gear Score as high as you like and have patience for on High and then jump onto GM 1 train. Freeroam, quickplay and contracts are good ways to crack at it, especially contracts as people are always mathchmaking for them.

Is it hard to play as a Storm at endgame?

No.

When going solo you need be more careful as Storm is fragile Javelin, but when in group? For large part you just get to hang around and rain <insert_preferred_element_here>.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
One thing that really bothered me on PS4 were the framedrops when the logo appeared for the first time on screen. That's not the best introduction for your game in my opinion.

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it is a bug or working as intended, but someone reported on the bug list that when he used quickplay, he was loaded into the ending cutscene, he was probably in the final mission

and he was level 6 lol he then realized the ending was spoiled for him

This happened in Skillup's review. Level 3 joined during final boss fight. They advised him to leave.
How is that even possible...

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does Dylan play better than Anthem?
th