• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
On my end this patch fixed all my technical issues with the game. Loading is much faster now and the game runs buttery smooth.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Oof, items can roll stats that don't do anything.

Oh1aQLQ.jpg

The gear symbol only applies to the item it's on. This weapon does no elemental damage.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
GM difficulties turn this game into a cover shooter... it's probably time to take a break. After clearing the last Stronghold there is absolutely no way I'm starting to grind contracts or freeplay all week long.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This patch definitely did something to performance. "Older PC performance" now means where your system ran the game acceptably, it will now be run as a fully overclocked toaster.
In the demo, I was getting as low as 32fps in Tarsis and 52-60fps in Freeplay on a 4670K and GTX 1080. After the 15th, until this patch on the same system, Tarsis only ever dropped to 45fps and Freeplay would occasionally drop to 55fps. Now it's worse than the demo levels on that PC and my CPU cores are almost always at 100% utilization now in both Tarsis and Freeplay, when it was only ever doing that previously in Tarsis.

My newer PC has a GTX 1080 TI and 9600K, and before this patch, it never dropped below 60fps in Tarsis, Freeplay or any of the missions. Only ever happened during loading screens. Now, it's consistently dropping as low as 56fps in Tarsis at times, and 57-59 in Freeplay (just did a Stronghold mission though and it didn't go below 60fps that I could catch). CPU utilization seems the same as before on the system. CPU utilization only ever really went up to 80% sometimes on a single core and the rest sat around 55% max.

In other news, as others have reported, Strongholds are now dropping Masterworks. Ended up getting two very useful Ice skills that I did not have yet, and one universal shield refresher that I'll probably never use.

GM difficulties turn this game into a cover shooter... it's probably time to take a break. After clearing the last Stronghold there is absolutely no way I'm starting to grind contracts or freeplay all week long.

Yep. GM1 didn't seem that bad when I tested it out earlier doing a contract, but doing the Tyrant Stronghold was basically "WTF just hit me?" constantly if you were not playing peek-a-boo. And I don't know how the "Storm reacts" now to being hit with shields up. Seems exactly the same as before, and it doesn't really matter that Snipers don't shoot through shields now supposedly, when they obliterate them and also take off health at the same time.

Last edited:

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Everything can drop everything, everything can roll everything.

This was known long time ago and that it would result in a lots of pure garbage items.

As a long time ARPG player, it doesn't bother me that there are stats that are not optimal or poor, but any stat that rolls has to do SOMETHING. The stat pool is diluted enough without having effects that literally don't do anything.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

there have been a few complaints like this on reddit

they really should rethink the overheating mechanism

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
On my end this patch fixed all my technical issues with the game. Loading is much faster now and the game runs buttery smooth.
This is the jist of it. Like it's still Anthem, Fort Tarsis is still snail like in its pace and the missions are not great, but

Frame rate is good now, menus are snappy and some UI has been tweaked. It's in a good place now for live services to take over

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's cute. After the single mission I did after the patch last night, when I tried exiting Anthem, it just sat at a black screen for a few minutes, so I had to Alt+F4 to close it. Same thing happened thirty minutes ago and now the game won't even launch.

so after leveling up a faction how do you get access to the blueprints?

They are automatic. You just need to go into the crafting menu for that particular subset of items.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Release day was 6 days ago, but nice try.

The release is tomorrow. For PS4, for Xbox One, for people who bought the PC game. That is like.... almost everyone. People who pay the Origin Access Premier subscription got the chance to play the game EARLY. As in BEFORE THE RELEASE. EA says so. By your logic, 99% of players who will start playing tomorrow will be playing the game "late". You people literally payed to play the game before the release date. This is now common in the industry. A lot of games offer this option.

God, I don't even care, it isn't even important, but some people are intent to prove something that makes no sense. It's everywhere. Google it. Heck, go to Wikipedia.

Anthem is an upcoming online multiplayer action role-playing video game being developed by BioWareand published by Electronic Arts. The game is slated for a worldwide release for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 22, 2019.

Also, EA and BioWare are calling it "Day 1 Patch". You can call it Day 8 or Day 88, or better yet, start counting from the development start, I think that was what, 6 years ago? It could be 2198 day Patch by your logic, so why not?

Seriously, where is this hate coming from? So you got to play 7 days early and there were some bugs that will be fixed when most people start playing on release day. Some people will like the game, some will still hate it, reviews are most likely going to be bad, we'll get through this. What's with all the vitriol?

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Yep. GM1 didn't seem that bad when I tested it out earlier doing a contract, but doing the Tyrant Stronghold was basically "WTF just hit me?" constantly if you were not playing peek-a-boo. And I don't know how the "Storm reacts" now to being hit with shields up. Seems exactly the same as before, and it doesn't really matter that Snipers don't shoot through shields now supposedly, when they obliterate them and also take off health at the same time.
It seems that enemies can basically spawn anywhere during missions. So you clear out one spot and start shooting enemies from there and they can just spawn right behind you for no apparent reason. I just played a contract where enemies did multiply right in front of me and there wasn't a spawn beacon or anything. This is really not fun.

The release is tomorrow. For PS4, for Xbox One, for people who bought the PC game. That is like.... almost everyone. People who pay the Origin Access Premier subscription got the chance to play the game EARLY. As in BEFORE THE RELEASE. EA says so. By your logic, 99% of players who will start playing tomorrow will be playing the game "late". You people literally payed to play the game before the release date. This is now common in the industry. A lot of games offer this option.
Anthem is an upcoming online multiplayer action role-playing video game being developed by BioWareand published by Electronic Arts. The game is slated for a worldwide release for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on February 22, 2019.
Also, EA and BioWare are calling it "Day 1 Patch". You can call it Day 8 or Day 88, or better yet, start counting from the development start, I think that was what, 6 years ago? It could be 2198 day Patch by your logic, so why not?
This doesn't hold up if EA advertises the "early access" as "play THE FULL GAME early". People say "but it's still the full game"... no it's not if you argue the game needs the day 1 patch to be 100% released.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It seems that enemies can basically spawn anywhere during missions. So you clear out one spot and start shooting enemies from there and they can just spawn right behind you for no apparent reason. I just played a contract where enemies did multiply right in front of me and there wasn't a spawn beacon or anything. This is really not fun.

Yes, that's exactly what it seems like and it feels cheap as fuck. Having the big portals up that indicate a new wave incoming from that point is fine, but not having shit magically spawn behind you. Some seem to think this is just flanking behavior, but flanking isn't where there was no enemy on the other side of a rock and then one is suddenly behind you from that same rock.

Not going to lie though. GM1 was actually a lot more fun than simply steamrolling everything non stop in Hard for nothing but faction gains. It's at least doable now in randoms. People react quickly to downed allies too. Plus, I'd rather spend 45 - 60 minutes on one of those for 2-3 Masterworks than the boring as shit chest farming.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
The game needs a lot of work still. Balance is a bit all over the place, progressing to grandmaster is not very smooth, you almost NEED a legendary weapon with + 200% damage at least to be able to play on grandmaster without making it a chore, and you die really fast until masterwork components start dropping (they should drop on hard too).

But I'm having a blast anyway.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
So you got to play 7 days early and there were some bugs that will be fixed when most people start playing on release day.

You are so far behind the times.
The day 1 patch is already out, stuff is still broken, more stuff broke even.

Magically having an early access and then having a release date 7 days later does not fix a game.
It was for money, pure and simple. You get to play the full game early. Worldwide release means you don't have to cough up £15 for premiere for the bonus.

The game needs a lot of work still. Balance is a bit all over the place, progressing to grandmaster is not very smooth, you almost NEED a legendary weapon with + 200% damage at least to be able to play on grandmaster without making it a chore, and you die really fast until masterwork components start dropping (they should drop on hard too).

But I'm having a blast anyway.

I literally went from GM1 being ouch owie to okay I can hover about like I don't care in 3 epic contracts. missions back to back.
I hadn't got any components since and now I've got 5. In makes such a difference, they aint the best but the health and shields helps.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the story and had a great time overall. I was one of the lucky ones with little to no technical issues and had it installed on a SSD from the start annnnnnnnd I actually quite liked talking to people in tarsis.

Not sure if the loot / repeat part is going to grab me or not but we will see. Well worth the price of origin prem.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

People who are playing it on the "official" or hard launch are not playing it late. Not playing it early doesn't equate to playing it late. But anyway, I think you're wrong on this one. EA advertises playing the full game early. It does not advertise "Well, you get to play it a week early, so expect there to be a lot of problems with it before everyone else gets to play!". Having said that though, I've been arguing this entire time that the first week was going to be full of problems and that the early week really was going to be "Early Access", and so far it has been. Biggest issue though is that the game is likely going to be in a worse shape come Friday for the majority than it was up until the patch.

You are so far behind the times.
The day 1 patch is already out, stuff is still broken, more stuff broke even.

Magically having an early access and then having a release date 7 days later does not fix a game.
It was for money, pure and simple. You get to play the full game early. Worldwide release means you don't have to cough up £15 for premiere for the bonus.

I literally went from GM1 being ouch owie to okay I can hover about like I don't care in 3 epic contracts. missions back to back.
I hadn't got any components since and now I've got 5. In makes such a difference, they aint the best but the health and shields helps.

I don't know if there's a huge difference in the way damage works on Strogholds or what, but it was about the same for me when doing a GM1 contract, but it was bullet hell with the Stronghold. Now way I could just hover like I didn't care. Also, about having to cough up $15? You could look at it the other way as well. The $15 means you didn't have to pay $45 - $60 for it either.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
This doesn't hold up if EA advertises the "early access" as "play THE FULL GAME early". People say "but it's still the full game"... no it's not if you argue the game needs the day 1 patch to be 100% released.

Full Game doesn't mean it's a released game. It means it's not a demo. Or a segment of the game. It is a full, unreleased game.

EA marketing obviously wants people to pay for Origin Access so they are going to say "Full Game". Because if they didn't, people could assume it's just some demo or segment. No, it's a full game pre-release build. But this full game that you're playing early has not yet been released. It's an unreleased full game. Tomorrow, the full game will release a day 1 patch - that will fix certain bugs and patches.

You can't buy the game and play it before 22nd, you do realize that?

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
People who are playing it on the "official" or hard launch are not playing it late. Not playing it early doesn't equate to playing it late. But anyway, I think you're wrong on this one. EA advertises playing the full game early. It does not advertise "Well, you get to play it a week early, so expect there to be a lot of problems with it before everyone else gets to play!". Having said that though, I've been arguing this entire time that the first week was going to be full of problems and that the early week really was going to be "Early Access", and so far it has been. Biggest issue though is that the game is likely going to be in a worse shape come Friday for the majority than it was up until the patch.

Possibly - but I'm not talking about the state of the game or if the game is going to be better or worse. Or if EA calls the thing you're playing a "full game". I'm talking about the release date. And officially, the release date is tomorrow. That's all I'm saying.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
All of you being pedantic about the game's actual release date will find you're all playing the same game come Friday.

I just laugh at this point. Before the patch people said this isn't the full game because It doesn't even have the day 1 patch! Well it has the day 1 patch and the game is still a mess.

People really need to stop excusing games being a complete mess just because some people get to play it early.

Mr.Black

Apr 28, 2018
Finland
So the storm "hover to increase weakpoint damage" mw component is bugged. If you dodge while hovering it gives you the same buff again. You can basically stack them as much as you can.

I've been running the Tyrant Mine stronghold and the boss goes down so fast, getting 400-500k weakpoint hits.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
How do you cancel a charge up weapon or ability without shooting? Like the devastator or the ranger pulse blast?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So the storm "hover to increase weakpoint damage" mw component is bugged. If you dodge while hovering it gives you the same buff again. You can basically stack them as much as you can.

I've been running the Tyrant Mine stronghold and the boss goes down so fast, getting 400-500k weakpoint hits.
Kinda explains this video:
Once you get the right weapons and components together, the damage output starts to really get crazy. This isn't even a Devastator.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
So yellow contracts are normal contracts and purple contracts are legendary contracts.
And yellow weapons are legendary weapons and purple weapons are normal weapons.

CBnd.gif

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So yellow contracts are normal contracts and purple contracts are legendary contracts.

CBnd.gif

Purple weapons are actually Epic quality, but your point stands.

I just realized this too last night and before that was wondering what I need to do in order to get legendary contracts. You know, those contracts that are meant to be super difficult with VERY good rewards.

I have been rolfstomping legendary contracts all this time with blue berries on GM1 for shit tier rewards...

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

CBnd.gif

judging by the bug list, these are the least of their worries

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone on Xbox been using extra trials to play more of the game? It seems to have stopped working now and I get a "this account is not allowed to connect to EA servers" message. Bf5 and apex are fine though.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
That's not uncommon for looter orientated games. Heck even normal RPGs do it all the time and it'll only help out in the beginning. Mainly it's the cosmetics. Light of the Legion is usable on my Colossus but I haven't seen the launcher one.
I'm fully aware this isnt uncommon in loot games. Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

If you have EA access on the xbox you get 10 hours to play this game prior to Feb 22nd. You will get to level 9 in under 4 hours. Even if you've purchased the Legion of Dawn edition you don't actually get the content until Feb 22nd. Meaning that if you take advantage of all the 10 hours your paid for content is useless to you on that date.