• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
So someone on Reddit posted all the Masterwork special status effects and I'm not impressed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/aslhpl/all_27_masterwork_weapon_blueprints_showcase/

A lot seem like garbage.
Yeah, that's not filling me with much confidence, the majority of those need some major tweaking IMO. Also, only one MW per weapon type feels.... rough. At least designing and adding more is a relatively cheap and easy way to add new content, I hope they take advantage of that.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Gameplay is incredible fun though and i can see Raids being something special if they have some creativity with the Encounter Design.
But thats the future and the now is spread really thin.

there aren´t even any raids planned...they call their planned stuff "aspirational content" for a reason, this is marketing speech for "there won´t be anything that resembles a raid", they even told streamers to not talk about any raid content, why? because there won´t be a raid coming anytime soon

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
there aren´t even any raids planned...they call their planned stuff "aspirational content" for a reason, this is marketing speech for "there won´t be anything that resembles a raid", they even told streamers to not talk about any raid content, why? because there won´t be a raid coming anytime soon
I thought the "Cataclysms" they are talking about are basically raids? Are they not?

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon changed my delivery date to the 26th for some reason, so I canceled the order and got it digitally through the Xbox store instead. I forgot I get a discount for having EA Access, making it cheaper anyway. I already have it installed from the EA Access 10-hour trial thing, so I shouldn't need to download the game again, right?

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
When you talk to NPC's around Fort Tarsis at the end of coversations you'll get a message that says something like:

"Arcanist Loyalty 345/500"

What does this mean, what does it do, and where can I track this progress lol?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
When you talk to NPC's around Fort Tarsis at the end of coversations you'll get a message that says something like:

This is one of the progression systems in the game, you can look at it and what it unlocks on the little paper slip found around the base of the 3 factions. Freelancers is on the back table where the contract board is, Sentinels is by Sentinel Brin and the other contract board and the Arcanist one is on the table leading into Matthias' room. The most important thing rep unlocks is crafting blueprints, but there are some other unlocks tied into the system.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

It's faction rep.

On PC press e.g. J, then select Challenges tab and from there you can see reputation situation with all three factions.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Like... are they trying to fool people with the notion that you can make choices like a typical Bioware game? Why is this even a thing?
I think you just answered your own question.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/02/amy-hennig-talks-more-about-struggling-with-eas-frostbite-engine/

In case anyone is still arguing that bioware didn't do enough work with frostbite engine or that frostbite (and EA) are not to blame for the issues with Anthem...

Last edited:

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017

They can both have made the choice themselves and also have found it difficult to work with.

A key paragraph from that article (for me) is:

"And then there's the toxicity problem, as video game pundits seize any opportunity to stoke anger at big publishers. Two people who have worked on Anthem both expressed anxiety to me about the ways some big YouTubers have spread misinformation and inflammatory rhetoric about EA, saying that it has a demoralising effect on those people on the ground level.

To people who work for EA, the publisher isn't just a cold corporate master—it is a complicated machine that, yes, is concerned first and foremost with generating revenue for investors, but also supports thousands of people in many tangible and intangible ways.

People close to BioWare, along with many other developers I've talked to in recent months, worry that commentary from some of YouTube's loudest voices has eliminated nuance and made companies like EA seem like Disney villains."

I'm sure there are some issues with working with a massive producer but it is never as simple as "EA are bungling idiots".

I cannot stand the way so many in the gaming community are so quick to blame everything on a single source. It makes it impossible to discuss games rationally because everyone is fixated on one imagined corporate enemy.

Obviously Anthem is having issues in the run up to launch but honestly, considering every game of this type has launched the same way, maybe the issues are just baked into making this type of perpetually updated game. I'm not trying to suggest we shouldn't highlight issues but let's try and discuss it rather than land a single over-used zinger at EA's door.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Frostbite definitely can work for a game like Anthem. The problem is most comp idea don't have time to tinker around and rework the engine to fit their games perfectly. It would probably add months or even years to the development time.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

The size and scope of the project, not just from what would be required to ship the product but the amount of work that was going into the Frostbite engine to make it all possible, ballooned the cost of development beyond all reason. One staffer estimated the game would have cost almost $140 million (approx $US100 million), which made little sense for a singleplayer only game, with a planned multiplayer mode shelved back in 2015.
lawd

I can't blame EA for pulling the plug at all.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Frostbite definitely can work for a game like Anthem. The problem is most comp idea don't have time to tinker around and rework the engine to fit their games perfectly. It would probably add months or even years to the development time.

I feel you're being too charitable. Sure, if you add enough stuff to Frostbite so that it's barely Frostbite anymore (similar to how the COD engine isn't really the Quake 3 engine and Respawn's engine isn't really Source) then you could use that new stack to build whatever game you wanted, but I wouldn't say that means Frostbite "can work" in any practical sense.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
GM1 feels massively overturned. I'm sitting at 410 now and still get one shot by everything.

We'll see what happens at the real launch, but it's been said before that Bioware never actually implemented the changes that they said they were going to in the GM levels. Instead of GM3 being +3000%, it was supposed to only be +950%. Currently, it's being said that GM1 is actually at the difficulty (or around there) that GM3 is supposed to be. The UI shows the "correct" values, but the game itself tells a different story.

Also, apparently the shield bonuses aren't actually working either, along with a handful of other inscriptions. Their gear score is kind of a dumb metric anyway, since you can reach that level without having a massive boost to health or armor compared to what you could have. Until they fix all of these outstanding issues, it's not even worth playing the game after you hit 30 if your goal is gear since you can still get 2-4 Masterworks per hour chest farming. You can get maybe two an hour if you're lucky on Hard doing contracts/strongholds, and 1-2 in GM1 actually doing them as well. That's also factoring in the 15 - 20 minutes of total loading time per hour when farming chests too.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
We'll see what happens at the real launch, but it's been said before that Bioware never actually implemented the changes that they said they were going to in the GM levels. Instead of GM3 being +3000%, it was supposed to only be +950%. Currently, it's being said that GM1 is actually at the difficulty (or around there) that GM3 is supposed to be. The UI shows the "correct" values, but the game itself tells a different story.

Also, apparently the shield bonuses aren't actually working either, along with a handful of other inscriptions. Their gear score is kind of a dumb metric anyway, since you can reach that level without having a massive boost to health or armor compared to what you could have. Until they fix all of these outstanding issues, it's not even worth playing the game after you hit 30 if your goal is gear since you can still get 2-4 Masterworks per hour chest farming. You can get maybe two an hour if you're lucky on Hard doing contracts/strongholds, and 1-2 in GM1 actually doing them as well. That's also factoring in the 15 - 20 minutes of total loading time per hour when farming chests too.

But doesn't factor in required extra time for needed to win in lottery and get fresh instance.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
But doesn't factor in required extra time for needed to win in lottery and get fresh instance.

I don't know what you mean. It's easy to tell if the area you're in has already been farmed out and just exit. It doesn't happen that often unless you're just following the same path everyone else is already taking too. Even in the rare occurrences where I am entering one that's already been mined, this is still a faster way to get gear even after the nerf. Everything else is simply not worth the time.

There's no incentive to actually play the game right now the way they intended. Farming rep to unlock Masterwork components might be worth it (holy hell is that a grind though) and so will doing the challenges with your favorite weapons and powers to unlock the ability to craft them, but you can't even do those challenges until they drop in the first place.

On top of that, since you aren't actually fighting anything, you can wear +%luck and +%harvest items. Neither might actually be working right now, but the harvest bonus seems to be.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that (in my experience), the majority of the time in freeplay, each one of us is literally on opposite ends of the map.

The more people per server, the more chance that somebody else will be attempting whatever World Event/Legendary Spawn/Tomb, that you are. Otherwise, you're most likely stuck with having to play on easy, and therefore getting shit loot.

I play solo free roam on Hard and it really isn't that difficult. Went straight for that difficulty, too.

Higher difficulties i' ve not tried...

It would be better if it was more social, though, for sure.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume that BioWare need to bounce ALL instances of the game at some point, just to make sure that all of of the spawned instances are using the correct ruleset.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is one of the progression systems in the game, you can look at it and what it unlocks on the little paper slip found around the base of the 3 factions. Freelancers is on the back table where the contract board is, Sentinels is by Sentinel Brin and the other contract board and the Arcanist one is on the table leading into Matthias' room. The most important thing rep unlocks is crafting blueprints, but there are some other unlocks tied into the system.
It's faction rep.

On PC press e.g. J, then select Challenges tab and from there you can see reputation situation with all three factions.

Thanks guys, I'm struggling a bit with the menus and navigating through these screens. Seems really bloated and a bit unintuitive.

Also not sure why, but I can't seem to access my inventory menu sometimes... which seems very strange.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Thanks guys, I'm struggling a bit with the menus and navigating through these screens. Seems really bloated and a bit unintuitive.

Also not sure why, but I can't seem to access my inventory menu sometimes... which seems very strange.

Inventory is available only via Vault Dude next to Forge when in Fort. Inventory screen works when out and about in Javelin.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

Haha yeah, after 30 hours I didn't even know the reps could be viewed in the Challenges tab because I try to avoid going into the menus as much as possible as it's reaaal bad imo. Every time I have to go in there to check something it makes me want to quit the game and go do something else, I'm not even exaggerating, it's one of my top 3 complaints with the game. It's truly awful to the point where I don't think they had any UX designers on staff at all and just hoisted the task off on the art team.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wait, so there are only 3-4 armor sets in the game?! That's including the preorder armor i'm guessing. Wow.
I know you can mix and match but it's a freaking loot game, man.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so there are only 3-4 armor sets in the game?! That's including the preorder armor i'm guessing. Wow.

They either monetise cosmetics like they are right now or they monetise DLC like Destiny.

Either way people will complain. What would be your solution?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
And that's the 2nd of my 3 biggest complaints. For a game that touted its customisation the launch variety in armour, weapons, extra patterns, extra materials and not to mention animations, (the only Javelin with more than 1 entrance is Colossus everyone else has 1, only 2 emotes and victory poses shared across all Javs.) is really disappointing for me as someone who plays these games primarily for the fashion endgame and the social aspects.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing is, that first day update seems to be enough to clean up some dirt.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
That damn OT title gets better and more apt every time I see it

I played the beta for a grand total of 15 minutes and 5 of those minutes were me literally staring at the map screen trying to choose and deploy on a mission/freeplay and not being able to.

Absolutely flabbergasting UX design.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Wasn't the Unreal Engine 3 developed for a FPS in mind? Why was it so flexible?

It's really sad to think that a game engine is behind so much disaster. If EA knew they would use one engine in all of their game, flexibilty should have been a priority in its development. The only worst thing is thinking that Bioware didn't have to use it, but chose to.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
So I swapped from the ranger to the Colossus and everything is finally clicking for me. I'm probably not the only one but that feeling when you taunt combined with the sound design:

tumblr_mwokleoQJd1snsugqo5_r1_250.gif

sogood.gif

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
They either monetise cosmetics like they are right now or they monetise DLC like Destiny.

Either way people will complain. What would be your solution?
After the impressions on the current content, I wouldn't want to pay for lackluster DLC. I'm just at a loss. The weapon loot and augments don't really have a unique look to them from what I've seen. The only thing that has any visual difference is the armor and material stuff. I mean that's the whole draw to these games right? Getting cool looking loot? I guess you can make the same argument for the Division.

Edit: I guess they're adding more after launch.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
The critique is getting a bit out of hand in my opinion. I just listened to the Giant Bombcast and oh boy, if Jeff hates something he goes full in on it. He only played Ranger and 2 missions with Colossus and thinks all the abilities are bad and he doesn't want them, he only wants to shoot stuff with weapons. I have already seen video "reviews" on YT where people even criticized the flying and say they should have made it more like Destiny or Division, basically with no flying at all.
Jesus man, and I though I was picky when it comes to video games. I pretty much hate everything but I still had a good time with Anthem with all it's flaws and yes there are many. And I am still excited what comes next and I will be there to check it out. But maybe I am ok with that because I didn't pay 60 bucks for the game, I have Origin Premier.
Why does everything have to be either absolute trash or the best thing ever on the Internet? There is no middle ground anymore.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
After the impressions on the current content, I wouldn't want to pay for lackluster DLC. I'm just at a loss. The weapon loot and augments don't really have a unique look to them from what I've seen. The only thing that has any visual difference is the armor and material stuff. I mean that's the whole draw to these games right? Getting cool looking loot? I guess you can make the same argument for the Division.

Edit: I guess they're adding more after launch.

The MW weapons do have a unique look, but not design. Though it's third person so you only really see the weapons with any detail in the menus.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

In the Cortex, which the game have told you :)

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Divine Vengeance is fun, but it seems the explosion only does about 1 bullet worth of damage. It's also effects hell when hitting something like a scar enforcer or tank and it goes off non-stop.

At least it's a 1/3 damage increase against targets it can proc on, which is nice. I can't tell if my fire damage components are applying to the explosion, but it doesn't feel like it.