• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't believe the overheating is there to accommodate stream assets. First, you can fly much longer while raining. On top of that, you can also lengthen your flying time by equipping the right components.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Played about 12 hours now, IDK, I feel like this is one of those games that critics just aren't receptive of that gets a foothold with an audience. Not an explosive mega-hit but enough to keep the lights on and keep content coming. Everybody I know that has played it has had a good time with it. I've enjoyed it immensely so far though it does need a lot of work. Feels like early The Division more than anything.
That's all well and good for you guys, but myself, Dog of Bork , Admiral Woofington , and two other friends we convinced to sign up for Access Premiere have already basically stopped playing, with most of them cancelling their memberships. We just weren't really having much fun with the awful load times and terrible mission structure. Maybe they can salvage it, maybe not, but assuming right off the bat that it's only critically that this game isn't hitting its mark is not wholly advisable. We put a good amount of hours into wildlands and enjoyed that a good bit more when it released. I consider myself to be particularly susceptible to the looter shooter genre, having put hundreds of hours into Destiny 1 and 2, along with Borderlands, not to mention my obscene Path of Exile and Warframe play time. This one just doesn't strike me as much more than a chore.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe the overheating is there to accommodate stream assets. First, you can fly much longer while raining. On top of that, you can also lengthen your flying time by equipping the right components.
Yeah, who claimed that? Sounds like bullshit, especially since you actually aren't moving very fast when you fly.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. That doesn't sound right.

They should remove the overheat mechanic and instead make enemy attacks make you overheat or freeze to remove you from flight. Threats need to do it, and you can use your dodge mechanics to avoid them, but the suit needs to normally sustain flight. It's just more fun.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, who claimed that? Sounds like bullshit, especially since you actually aren't moving very fast when you fly.

It's an absurd claim.

Related pro-tip: interceptor triple jump is faster than flying. This is especially fun when you're jumping off high cliffs and can extend those jumps a long way before firing up your thrusters.

betawaychill

Jun 6, 2018
Used all but 10-15 minutes of my 10 hour trial. Still really excited. Again tho, at the point I'm at, the story is still going and seems fairly strong - especially for a looter shooter not named Borderlands 2 - and it's already longer than Destiny 1's campaign. I think that's a good sign for my friend group, as long as the technical issues are ironed out by Friday.

There's potential here. BioWare just has to stick through it.

Ft. Tarsis > Launch Bay tho.

I understand that it's a good idea to put in a social hub, but put some more thought into it than just making it one room.
I think the problem there is that they had a super quick turnaround in creating the launch bay. I'm pretty sure it wasn't originally even planned for launch.
For what it is, it's kinda just there imo. I'm hoping Bioware does stick with Anthem and improve it over time, but it must be a huge bummer for a developer to never feel like the game they released is done lol.

Brutal, got stuck in launching bay with no way out. Had to quit the game
I must be the most patient dude of all time lol. This happened to me, too. Quit game > Load screen to main menu > Press A to continue > Loaded back into the launch bay in under 5 min. How is that brutal?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I've been maining interceptor and hit the 340s last night. While I'm excited about the potential buffs, the real issue is they lack survivability in GM1+. Activating combos requires using melee skills and the limited FOV combined with the crazy boss damage output really hinders the class. Outside of using my ultimate, I feel like a less effective version of the ranger against most bosses.

It's frustrating because I LOVE the mobility and aesthetic of the class. All the way through the story and leveling up I felt like a dancing blade of death. That is not a viable playstyle in GM difficulty unless you're wanting to boost your teammates' revive experience.

I'm going to give my colossus a run today to see if i can bring more to my team. It's easy to gear up other javelins in this game. I think I'm 320ish on him with zero time on the character.

Everyone on GM1 and above is made of paper mache. The game plays one way on Normal, and changes completely on GM1.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem there is that they had a super quick turnaround in creating the launch bay. I'm pretty sure it wasn't originally even planned for launch.
For what it is, it's kinda just there imo. I'm hoping Bioware does stick with Anthem and improve it over time, but it must be a huge bummer for a developer to never feel like the game they released is done lol.

Yeah, it's understandable why Launch Bay is like it is. I would almost rather they just take their time with it and release a social hub that's more than what we got but I guess it can be improved over time and something is better than nothing.

I also think BioWare will stick with it. Coming into a looter shooter - the type that Destiny started - these games are never done lol

The main thing for me is that they nailed the important parts - I love the gameplay and I love the characters and world.

Oct 26, 2017

I must be the most patient dude of all time lol. This happened to me, too. Quit game > Load screen to main menu > Press A to continue > Loaded back into the launch bay in under 5 min. How is that brutal?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. It's brutal because you're not supposed to get stuck in the launching bay forcing you to waste five minutes to get back to where you should have been.

How many times would you have to load back in for it to suddenly strike you as annoying?

The main thing for me is that they nailed the important parts - I love the gameplay and I love the characters and world.

Agreed

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm not a huge Arrekz fan, but really appreciate his grasp of games like this (his MH:W videos basically taught me to play the game).

There are some YT personalities that are so hyperbolic their impressions are basically substance-less, so nice to see this, as well as Datto's.
I mean yes, but he's also one of EA's Gamechanger influencers, and probably wants to stay one.

Not necessarily saying the video's brought to you by EA 100%, but it's surely safe to watch it with a grain of salt, if you do the same with overly negative ones.

Last edited:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
finished the game tonight 23 hours, I am glad for origin premium 1 month trial. I am quite good just walking away, It was not a good game and I forced myself through the last half of the game. So much potential wasted.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got to the tomb parts and just quit. Origin Premier saved me $60.
Not even sure why you are still here then?

Why is that quest is so hated in this forum? You don't have to do that quest right away, there are lots of other stuff to do like challenges and events. Doing these will fill up the quest anyway. I guess people like to rush maybe? And this quest puts down the hammer.

Oct 30, 2017
Not even sure why you are still here then?

Why is that quest is so hated in this forum? You don't have to do that quest right away, there are lots of other stuff to do like challenges and events. Doing these will fill up the quest anyway. I guess people like to rush maybe? And this quest puts down the hammer.

I'm here because I was playing the game and found myself disappointed with it. This quest is a needless grind in a game already filled with somewhat mediocre quests, and it's inclusion tells me whoever is in charge of quest content at BioWare has no idea what they're doing. Which is a damn shame considering it's BioWare

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Nope you unlock two more strongholds (longer missions basically with 'bosses') one of them just being the last level.
and a bunch of grind quests, that make the tomb mission look like nothing...
oh and you can repeat contracts...

It's kinda funny to see that "three strongholds" is being advertised as end-game activities when one of them is actually a part of the main mission, hahaha, what the heck.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I have two masterwork weapons and they're amazing. Both of them, oddly, change the game a lot for me while not having too crazy of effects. Kinda like Destiny, I suppose? Except several Destiny exotics could feel really underwhelming.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I Quickplayed into a hard version of the final mission. The player who was there immediately left. There does not seem to be a way to jump yourself in queue to find other party members. Selecting "End Expedition" does nothing. So I'm just trapped in this instance, unless I close the client. Fantastic.

Like, this is base level functionality.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I Quickplayed into a hard version of the final mission. The player who was there immediately left. There does not seem to be a way to jump yourself in queue to find other party members. Selecting "End Expedition" does nothing. So I'm just trapped in this instance, unless I close the client. Fantastic.

Like, this is base level functionality.

Escape hatch is like, a basic usability concept. Just wow.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Seriously though one of the most disappointing parts of this 'loot game' is the loot! I want cooler looking guns, not 3 different models. I want to unlock new helms and pieces of your Javelin in the game world! Not at the in game store only. It really reminds me of Marvel Heroes where regardless of what you change you still look the same from level 1 to max level (they sold skins at the store, same thing here). Same thing in this game, your level 1 Javelin will look the same as your max level one unless you feel like changing the paint job.I want more abilities and supers as well. I know these are things they can add but man am I disappointed these things arent here out of the gate. What have they been doing for 5 years? Ugh bugs/glitches and technical shortcomings aside, this is by far the most disappointing aspect.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Saw this on Reddit

This is 1:1 with how DAI behaved back then on my old and slow i5 750 system. Because of weak CPU game engine couldn't stream in assets fast enough even when game already allowed you to move around. Resulting literally in this same thing happening. Things not being there at all so you could e.g. run beneath that hub castle in DAI.

Good to see that nothing has improved with Frostbite in that regard and weak console CPU's cause issues for Anthem now.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have two masterwork weapons and they're amazing. Both of them, oddly, change the game a lot for me while not having too crazy of effects. Kinda like Destiny, I suppose? Except several Destiny exotics could feel really underwhelming.
The Masterwork and Legendaries are very well done from what I've obtained and played with. I think the devs did a pretty good job with them. My favorite I have is a freezing sniper called Siege Breaker and it's a game changer for me. It's the Whirlwind type that autofires like an assault rifle. Every third hit freezes the foe which is insanely useful.

Last edited:

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on Reddit

This is 1:1 with how DAI behaved back then on my old and slow i5 750 system. Because of weak CPU game engine couldn't stream in assets fast enough even when game already allowed you to move around. Resulting literally in this same thing happening. Things not being there at all so you could e.g. run beneath that hub castle in DAI.

Good to see that nothing has improved with Frostbite in that regard and weak console CPU's cause issues for Anthem now.

that is why some are saying that you have the overheating mechanic, you can't just fly nonstop across the map

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
In Brad's video of him playing at the press event a couple weeks ago, he was playing as a Storm and pretty much just playing the game as a Call of Duty shooter, fighting from the ground and hiding behind cover. People criticized it, so on the bombast last week, he basically defended himself by complaining that flight was so limited there's no point in going to the air. As a Storm. Yep.
As a Storm player...that video was painful to watch.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
so ive finished the main questline and reached endgame, but why are only 2/3 strongholds available for me to pick?

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else having this happen? I can load back in but when I talk to Max again it does it again.. happened 3 times now.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Saw this on Reddit

This also happens to me every now and then. But I don't think it's related to weak CPU as my i5 7600 is not that old.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
that is why some are saying that you have the overheating mechanic, you can't just fly nonstop across the map
if you have the perks and fly over water + you can fly for pretty long time. Maybe to some degree it's a streaming issue, but you can stretch the flying time to a pretty long period.
This also happens to me every now and then. But I don't think it's related to weak CPU as my i5 7600 is not that old.
It's probably hdd/sdd speed. I have a sdd + ryzen 2600 and never had this problem.