• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I still haven't picked it up yet, but I recall seeing mention in the past that you can upgrade your suit's jets/flight to last longer, no?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man,
Owen's betrayal hit me hard. I really liked him. I preferred him as my Cipher over Faye, though she's pretty cool too. At least Haluk is still around, he's my favorite character.

For some of my issues with this game, I think the characters are really well written. They all feel unique and believable, i'm glad that strength of Bioware is still alive and well.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't picked it up yet, but I recall seeing mention in the past that you can upgrade your suit's jets/flight to last longer, no?

Yeah random inscriptions can boost that. The issue atm is that most inscriptions don't work.

But I think the bigger issue is that flight time out of combat is unnecessarily limited. There's really no point to traversal being so limited in what is supposed to be a large open world and even small spaces feel annoying to traverse through because you have to stop more often than not to cool down.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, there are components that modify that stuff. Whether it's a significant modification or a meaningful change remains to be seen given various bugs and the fact we have no "character stat sheet" to track any of this. We're shooting in the dark here.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I wish this game was more like Destiny in that the world felt populated with multiple players. I believe 4 is the max per instance in Anthem. It makes the game feel kinda dead.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
This is true, but also unless you preordered the game isn't actually "out" yet. A lot of streamers may not be streaming yet, and so their audience isn't watching.

Most of the biggest Twitch streamers who are into this kind of game (Datto, xGladd, KingGoth, TeaWrex) have all been streaming it since Friday and as the days have progressed, the viewer count has steadily dropped. Due to the game's lack of PvP, picking up big streamers who kinda like this genre is going to be difficult, as Ninja, DrLupo, & Tim have all said they wouldn't be checking it out.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game was more like Destiny in that the world felt populated with multiple players. I believe 4 is the max per instance in Anthem. It makes the game feel kinda dead.
This is one improvement I'd definitely like to see in the future, but it seems like this might be a limitation of the engine so I'm not sure it's feasible. :(

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there are components that modify that stuff. Whether it's a significant modification or a meaningful change remains to be seen given various bugs and the fact we have no "character stat sheet" to track any of this. We're shooting in the dark here.

Anecdotally, I have some rare Vented Thrusters that add 35% to my flight time and Thermal Regulators that extend the 'overheat' window by some percentage and they seem to work. If I'm skimming lakes and hit a waterfall here or there I usually have no problem flying from one objective to another without hitting the ground.

Compared to the demo where it would take several hops or I would always fall short.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
There is item affix called "Thruster life" that seems to extent flight time, also there is affix about overheating taking longer to happen.
Yea they moved the pilot skill tree stuff into component attributes. Still they need an in-game dictionary to explain all the attributes. I just learned that the impact buffs give your attacks knockback/stunlock which should be pretty useful considering how enemies using it can fuck you up.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, I have some rare Vented Thrusters that add 35% to my flight time and Thermal Regulators that extend the 'overheat' window by some percentage and they seem to work. If I'm skimming lakes and hit a waterfall here or there I usually have no problem flying from one objective to another without hitting the ground.

Compared to the demo where it would take several hops or I would always fall short.

How about overheating in combat? Any change there? As someone who plays colossus, I've resigned myself to almost never being able to fly due to the whole "one hit causes an overheat" thing. But still, it's a nice thought.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
How about overheating in combat? Any change there? As someone who plays colossus, I've resigned myself to almost never being able to fly due to the whole "one hit causes an overheat" thing. But still, it's a nice thought.

Depends on what I'm fighting. The larger problem there are definitely those attacks that immediately cause you to overheat. (Or cause burning status) If I hover and pop a bulwark shield I can spend a decent amount of time in the air but you always risk getting hit by a rocket or something you just don't see / that spawned behind you.

This is in a Ranger btw. I don't think the colossus is meant to be able to hang around in the air as much? I got the impression it was more of a Storm / Ranger thing but I could be wrong.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what I'm fighting. The larger problem there are definitely those attacks that immediately cause you to overheat. (Or cause burning status) If I hover and pop a bulwark shield I can spend a decent amount of time in the air but you always risk getting hit by a rocket or something you just don't see / that spawned behind you.

This is in a Ranger btw. I don't think the colossus is meant to be able to hang around in the air as much? I got the impression it was more of a Storm / Ranger thing but I could be wrong.

It's not. I just like the option to escape, which is a rare opportunity given the mechanic.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the biggest Twitch streamers who are into this kind of game (Datto, xGladd, KingGoth, TeaWrex) have all been streaming it since Friday and as the days have progressed, the viewer count has steadily dropped. Due to the game's lack of PvP, picking up big streamers who kinda like this genre is going to be difficult, as Ninja, DrLupo, & Tim have all said they wouldn't be checking it out.

yup, PvP is usually what people want to watch, this is the advantage for Destiny or Division streamers

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Well even though I do enjoy the game-play, there is plenty left to be desired.

I don't feel too bad since I got this with my annual origin access premier subscription, and get access to tons of other games as well.

Either way, I will continue to play and watch this, but I don't expect putting lots of time and effort into this title. Reserving most of that for The Division 2.

Last edited:

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Man, we should be getting dozens and dozens of common Javelin parts that we can bolt onto our suits.
Save the cosmetic shop for unique crazy skins.

There is no personalization in game right now. :(

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Does anyone have any idea why freesync on the Xbox One X is actually making screen tearing worse on this game? I cant understand it because I've been using it for a while now and on all other games with a target of 30fps, such as Sea Of Thieves, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc when they dip below 30 and start tearing as long as freesync is enabled the screen tearing is completely eradicated. You can see it working by displaying the source and it shows the freesync range going up and down. However on Anthem The only time freesync seems to be working at all is at the start screen and the loading screens. Once into the game, the freesync range stays at 59hz even when the frame rate it dipping suggesting that freesync isnt being engaged. Or when the fps does dip its dipping below the lower freesync limit which on my TV would be the equivalent of the in game frame rate going below 24 fps. The only problem with that is when I am out in the open world and getting screen tearing with freesync enabled the in game fps doesn't look any where near 24 but i suppose its possible.

Nov 14, 2017

It's because people were skipping Endgame content by farming chests for high level gear. If you look at the responses to that tweet they're generally positive for a reason.
Doesn't stop the wipe farming though.
Yesterday in GM3 it took 3 of us solid minute to kill one (1) Elite enemy with constant weapons fire and comboing of skills. Had said Elite had any friends we would have been dead and now it didn't smoke us because I was able to keep it permanently CCd.

Shit is ridiculous.
GM1-3 are bugged. GM1 is currently 700% extra health / damage and GM3 is 3100% extra, when GM3 is only supposed to be like an extra 800% or something. Basically, GM1 is currently where GM3 is supposed to be.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man,
Owen's betrayal hit me hard. I really liked him. I preferred him as my Cipher over Faye, though she's pretty cool too. At least Haluk is still around, he's my favorite character.

For some of my issues with this game, I think the characters are really well written. They all feel unique and believable, i'm glad that strength of Bioware is still alive and well.

Yeah I have a ton of issues with the loading, the overheat while flying to missions and the lack of cosmetic change in loot, but I really enjoy the characters. The cast is so diverse and feel human. While the story premise is kind of bland, the characters and story telling destroys Destiny and Division.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have a ton of issues with the loading, the overheat while flying to missions and the lack of cosmetic change in loot, but I really enjoy the characters. The cast is so diverse and feel human. While the story premise is kind of bland, the characters and story telling destroys Destiny and Division.

I think that's fair. Although I think the general story in both of those games (not how they're told, just the lore and the actual plot) are pretty good.

It's just a shame BioWare couldn't have given this a good ending.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
That's very good to know. And damnit, I accidentally clicked on that spoiler and wish I didn't, but from the sound of it that's exactly the kind of twist I had hoped to see. I'm totally playing it now.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's fair. Although I think the general story in both of those games (not how they're told, just the lore and the actual plot) are pretty good.

It's just a shame BioWare couldn't have given this a good ending.

Yeah I really like the lore in Destiny actually, but the way they convey that story is extremely bad. Its telling that the best story telling in Destiny was made by Vicarious Visions.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's what I'm doing. For some reason reading those patch notes my hype is coming back in a big way. Just gotta get that dumb Tomb mission out of the way ugh. Era will someone run that with me once the patch is out? Please?
Yeah, to be honest I'm no less excited than I was before the early access launch. I'm really looking forward to it even knowing it's going to be far from perfect, I had so much fun with such a small slice in the demo.

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
So you want to remove penalty for getting hit? Over-heating means you messed up really.

Floating back taking out some snipers, I see one is trained on me so I evade behind what appears to be a solid texture while the sniper is still training in on me. He fires and still magically hits me through the massive rock I was behind and I'm knocked out of hover and overheating. Failing to see where I "messed up". I did everything I was supposed to do with wind wall on cooldown. I got out of los yet still got hit and still got nailed with a 5-10 second removal of the entire traversal mechanic (not to mention a critical portion of the Storm's combat mechanic).

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really like the lore in Destiny actually, but the way they convey that story is extremely bad. Its telling that the best story telling in Destiny was made by Vicarious Visions.

I also think both of those games have fairly compelling bits, they're just conveyed poorly (like you said).

For me, Anthem has some good characters (aside from the big bad), some decent lore (so far), and nothing else really remarkable outside of the VA and some of the dialogue. The plot itself just didn't land whatsoever for me.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the amazing lore surrounding the Killzone games... almost none of which we got to discover in game.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Yeah, to be honest I'm no less excited than I was before the early access launch. I'm really looking forward to it even knowing it's going to be far from perfect, I had so much fun with such a small slice in the demo.

I loved the demo but once the novelty wore off the issues became kinda grating in the full game. Excited to hop back in now.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm avoiding streams until I'm through the campaign and just running through repeatable content.

As fun as Anthem is to play, I don't think it will be a big streaming game. Each new major story patch, the streamers that stream PVE games will pick it up for a few days, and then drop it to play whatever is the next new game. Destiny 2 has 1.8k viewers right now, for example, next patch that comes out it will jump up to 50k+ for a few days.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The raid was not available when the DLC launched. It came a bit after. This was the "new content" with mirrored missions from the base game. I stopped playing Destiny after that shit.
You're wrong. Crota's End was available on day 1 of Dark Below. I remember because I stayed up to play it.