• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Who came up with the consumable crafting UI? Why do I need to matchmake into the launch bay for fucks sake? What the hell does +20% support luck even do? Why does my masterwork LMG boost pistol damage? God damn this game is death by 1,000 annoying little design decisions.
thats funny if theres really a pistol perk on ur LMG lol. But u can't have good loot without the bad loot as far as RNG perks. Thats why i get sniper rifle drops in destiny with hip fire and extended mag perks

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
They haven't fixed the bug where sometimes components don't apply. My ranger goes from 10+ bars health down to 3. Makes him useless loading into a hard mission. It was present in the demo, present now and I don't see it in the feb 22 list. Wtf.

Besides this huge bug i'm loving the game. Basically its 50/50 whether I have to quit out of a mission, or just play on normal and steamroll.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think its more tha

Everyone complained like mad when Bungie took re-rolls and grinding for better weapon stats out of the game in Destiny 2....

So what you're missing is that the loot in this game is totally built around grinding for the right inscriptions to max your build....some will like that and some won't....but its not the same as Destiny where the loop was "do hard content - get lucky and get Gjallahorn - raid - get raid gear and weapons - raid". This is a build based game - of course currently the issue is there needs to be more to do when you max your build - but cataclysm seems to be the content coming for that.

Yes, those same people also probably complained about the god rolls 6 months earlier.

I never really complained though because I don't care enough to worry about min-maxing rolls like that.

Trying to handwave it as a build-based game is a bit silly IMO. You could say the same thing about
Destiny as there were specific builds depending on what kind of unique loot you had, etc.

I don't really see how the actual gameplay loop is different, besides the core combat mechanics and flying.
It's still going to be "Do hard content - get lucky to get OP Masterwork gun - raid - get raid gear - raid"

The only difference here that I can see is that Destiny at least had a loot table of various armor that were part of your build and
allowed some visual variety, while Anthem fills those slots up with ability drops where the exact same 10 pieces of gear drop
with different numbers over and over.....

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yesterday in GM3 it took 3 of us solid minute to kill one (1) Elite enemy with constant weapons fire and comboing of skills. Had said Elite had any friends we would have been dead and now it didn't smoke us because I was able to keep it permanently CCd.

Shit is ridiculous.
lol

Anything above GM1 just sounds unpleasant to deal with.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes, those same people also probably complained about the god rolls 6 months earlier.

I never really complained though because I don't care enough to worry about min-maxing rolls like that.

Trying to handwave it as a build-based game is a bit silly IMO. You could say the same thing about
Destiny as there were specific builds depending on what kind of unique loot you had, etc.

I don't really see how the actual gameplay loop is different, besides the core combat mechanics and flying.
It's still going to be "Do hard content - get lucky to get OP Masterwork gun - raid - get raid gear - raid"

The only difference here that I can see is that Destiny at least had a loot table of various armor that were part of your build and
allowed some visual variety, while Anthem fills those slots up with ability drops where the exact same 10 pieces of gear drop
with different numbers over and over.....

Because the inscriptions can offer stats boost that are incredibly meaningful and synergise with your build. And your build can synergise with others in your team.

There is more to it than Destiny which was more about "get this weapon and use it here" than anything else.

Your inscriptions and weapons can synergise together or not, same with your abilities and from what I've seen even with full masterworks you can have huge divergence in DPS per build....

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Glad to see patch-notes already for D Day. Seems like it resolves many of the issues, hopefully it does

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Because the inscriptions can offer stats boost that are incredibly meaningful and synergise with your build. And your build can synergise with others in your team.

There is more to it than Destiny which was more about "get this weapon and use it here" than anything else.

Your inscriptions and weapons can synergise together or not, same with your abilities and from what I've seen even with full masterworks you can have huge divergence in DPS per build....

None of that seems so different to me.
The reason why people complained about the God rolls in Destiny was because those stat boosts were also meaningful and
the meta meant you needed the perfect roll for maximum DPS. So if you cared about min/maxing then you absolutely needed to grind grind grind
to keep up with the meta.

There are definitely differences in the gameplay and how builds work, but I have yet to see a single explanation of how abilities being a drop
actually add anything to the game.

Those same bonuses could have been tied to actual cosmetic armor slots and the game would work exactly the same, but with more visual variety.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I like how people make assumptions all the time. Might be as simple as it is tied into Guilds etc. This game is planned to have years of content. Why blow it all at once.

This launch is making Destiny 1 Vanilla look deep and content rich game, that says a lot.

Also they have promoted Javelin customization hard and then basically not have any outside of materials and colors? Laughable. I hope on 22nd they actually push out content on all fronts, but that is doubtful.

And I actually like game for what it's as movement and combat feels good overall.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
None of that seems so different to me.
The reason why people complained about the God rolls in Destiny was because those stat boosts were also meaningful and
the meta meant you needed the perfect roll for maximum DPS. So if you cared about min/maxing then you absolutely needed to grind grind grind
to keep up with the meta.

There are definitely differences in the gameplay and how builds work, but I have yet to see a single explanation of how abilities being a drop
actually add anything to the game.

Those same bonuses could have been tied to actual cosmetic armor slots and the game would work exactly the same, but with more visual variety.

They could but I guess their idea is for everyone to colour and sculpt their own javelin using the colour and material options.

Then to buy armour sets which will rotate in the store when the game launches - and as they've said more systems to earn armour will be available.

The trouble with the Destiny armour system is everyone looks the same in the end because only a few builds are viable....I prefer having my own options personally for how I look that will not affect my stats....

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping any power gains away from MTX was a key promise of the game so it makes sense for now that they're keeping those separate, as cosmetics were always supposed to be their MTX cash cow. However I hope they offer more cosmetic options in the future, it seems like they're open to it (and that we might even hear something about it this week).

Can anyone tell me what "aura combo pulse frequency" is?
Interceptor? When they combo they gain an aura from whatever element they combo'd on, so I guess this means that effect is more applied more often. I don't know how often it pulses normally.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So now people are doing strongholds and quitting after the first chest.

Jesus fucking christ.
I said this would happen the first demo weekend.
I actually think the end game gearing is fun. I have a masterwork venom spray on my interceptor. It gives me 700% super charge per enemy hit with it. If the group is big enough i can go from 0-100 super.

It adds layers to the play style of your choice. Plus the fact that skills are equips mean they can make new legendary skills.

Other little things I love about the game.

When you are fighting a titan and you kill it before it suicides, you get better loot drops.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of worldquest variety. Sure it's still go here and kill this/deliver this. The location changes up a lot and you can get different variations. For example, I've run into the dominion in one area doing experiments on skorpions. Eventually though I saw a quest there where they were doing experiments on a titan. Depending on if you succeeded in the first step of the mission determined what would happen. If you fail a titan/luminary spawns. Which can net you better loot if you kill it quick enough.

I also love the luminary and titan fights. They seem like a slog initially. Once you start coordinating with your team and hitting weak points, it melts.

I really don't think the claim of no end game is completely correct. There are a ton of end game quests that further flesh the lore out. You can unlock new blueprints to be able to craft masterwork gear. Crafting essentially lets you target specific pieces without having to rely on rng. Open world content is compelling enough if you enjoy the core gameplay loop.

Strong holds are kind of a waste of game content IMO. I would have rather them put the development time into fleshing out the open world content.

I think Anthem is a good selling point for a Premier Access sub. 15 dollars for all the content in the game right now is a incredibly good deal, even with all the technical issues. I still think the game is worth 60 dollars on launch. The story is engaging enough to make you want to engage with the systems. There are a lot of sidequests attached to likeable characters.

It really is up to Bioware to deliver on supporting the game post release.
A useful post with good info - not easy to spot with so much on fire and people posting their every passing thought as they're jumping into quickplay hell. Finding a multi-part world event in the demo, and failing the first part but carrying on gave me hope there would be at least a little dynamism for them and legendary contracts.

hot fixing all this stuff on the fly is awesome.
It is, demonstrates how they have a lot of control over the game and can instantly change our experience. Something I've hoped for and never quite seen the reality borne out in a few other similar games. Hope they continue to make good use of it to settle things down.

For most of today, on either Mission or Stronghold Quickplay, I have what feels like a 25 percent chance to get the bugged content.

While there are issues with the game, if you're running quickplay after quickplay you're way more likely to end up in an instance that's broken. You join, see it's broken, leave, someone else replaces you... I understand people want that XP boost and to hit 30 to get the possibility of proper gear, but right now it's probably not the most reliable route.

Sadly it will be same 3k at GM 1 through 3.

While enemies have HP in, what seems like, millions when just Elite tier.
Really? So if I get other MW and Legendary gear to increase my power score, my damage isn't going to go up on that ever? Do just my bumper and ultimate's powers increase?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Really? So if I get other MW and Legendary gear to increase my power score, my damage isn't going to go up on that ever? Do just my bumper and ultimate's powers increase?

All damage increases are tied to affix rolls, e.g. those +X% damage weapon type rolls. Skills get that spicey 5% from those skill components, e.g. Storm gets one for each element. MW and Legendary versions of those have modifiers like "Use Q bound skill to deal damage, after that E bound skill deals 60% more damage for 5 seconds".

As far I can tell there isn't really real progression of power where you become noticeably more powerful. Big part of this is that affix rolls don't work currently at all so those +X% damage rolls don't do anything currently. This should change come Friday.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Keeping any power gains away from MTX was a key promise of the game so it makes sense for now that they're keeping those separate, as cosmetics were always supposed to be their MTX cash cow. However I hope they offer more cosmetic options in the future, it seems like they're open to it (and that we might even hear something about it this week).

Ah, sorry when I said armor cosmetics I just meant a normal loot system. Not some epic skin MTX system or whatever.

My one big glaring issue is that I don't see
how the ability drops (which make up a lot of your build) will be interesting in the long run, as there is no real visual or mechanic variety possible. At least with the current system.

It's really just the same exact abilities over and over with different inscriptions doled out by rng.

I just know that personally if there were no ability drops and those inscriptions were just rolled into normal loot armor drops my enjoyment would be increased tenfold. The same builds and synergy would be possible, you would just have actual armor variety to choose from.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
TDB was a bad DLC, but they killed it with TTK. Destiny's journey was a tumultuous one.

I wonder how long it will take Bioware to release their TTK.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Talking of content drops: the reason I don't play D2 right now is due almost entirely to feeling utterly robbed by Curse of Osiris.

Ah, sorry when I said armor cosmetics I just meant a normal loot system. Not some epic skin MTX system or whatever.

how the ability drops (which make up a lot of your build) will be interesting in the long run, as there is no real visual or mechanic variety possible. At least with the current system.

It's really just the same exact abilities over and over with different inscriptions doled out by rng.

I just know that personally if there were no ability drops and those inscriptions were just rolled into normal loot armor drops my enjoyment would be increased tenfold. The same builds and synergy would be possible, you would just have actual armor variety to choose from.
For me the benefit of those inscriptions is in the gameplay, and I like the fact that I can change up my build without changing the way that I look. It's like they baked in a glamour/transmog system from the off.

I don't actually have the game yet but from what I hear it's a shame that there aren't more cosmetic options available in the store right now, and I'd be more than happy with some cosmetic stuff being tied to specific content in the game (so GM1/2/3 strongholds for example, or killing a rare spawn in free play).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
For me the benefit of those inscriptions is in the gameplay, and I like the fact that I can change up my build without changing the way that I look. It's like they baked in a glamour/transmog system from the off.

I don't actually have the game yet but from what I hear it's a shame that there aren't more cosmetic options available in the store right now, and I'd be more than happy with some cosmetic stuff being tied to specific content in the game (so GM1/2/3 strongholds for example, or killing a rare spawn in free play).

Cosmetics in games like this are a huge deal. I can't complain /that/ much considering the customisation options we get here for free are usually either charged for via MTs or non-existent, but the fact the store launched with only two armour packs and a few other items is a bit disappointing.

Cosmetic armour should be plentiful and varied in a game like this, and it should drop as part of the loot pool imo.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Talking of content drops: the reason I don't play D2 right now is due almost entirely to feeling utterly robbed by Curse of Osiris.

I don't get why they didnt think people would want to look different in a loot game, current you can look one of TWO ways and that's it. Sure colours are nice but you still probably look exactly the same as the guy cloned right next to you, there is no real individuality or sense of accomplishment in making your armour green.

Part of the fun of games like Diablo is that you look a bit different when you tackle different content, people can see what you have done, where you have been. Just getting an affix on your grenade is a depressingly low bar.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, inscriptions can be both interesting and utterly boring. I just don't personally like that 3 gear slots are taken up by gear that will never really be fundamentally different besides modifier bonuses.

I suppose they could add legendary unique abilities later, but that would bring in its own balance issues just like how certain weapon abilities in Destiny were OP and you were screwed until they dropped for you.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Well, game downloaded on base PS4, I wonder how much heavy is that patch lol. I'm bracing for the worst though, our early access Alpha may be coming...

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Cosmetics in games like this are a huge deal. I can't complain /that/ much considering the customisation options we get here for free are usually either charged for via MTs or non-existent, but the fact the store launched with only two armour packs and a few other items is a bit disappointing.

Cosmetic armour should be plentiful and varied in a game like this, and it should drop as part of the loot pool imo.
Yeah I know this - I was in the preview thread responding to people who thought that nobody wanted visual customisations so the MTX are pointless. It's a huge part of games like this and it seems like they need to do some work to strike a good balance between what can be earned in game and what can be bought.

Personally, I don't look at someone and think "ooh, they've cleared that content" and when I put my personal design together it'll be because that's the way I want to look regardless of power level. If that stuff happens to come from the high level content then it's a bonus.

I'll never forger having to wear things like this while progressing through King's Fall:

tumblr_nvha3v9QBW1uday91o1_500.jpg

... and would have preferred to have the perks from that on something that I wanted to wear. Frankly anything that stopped me wearing my Helm of Saint-14 in Destiny was abhorrent, whether I needed its perks or not.

Well, game downloaded on base PS4, I wonder how much heavy is that patch lol. I'm bracing for the worst though, our early access Alpha may be coming...
As the game goes live at midnight in each timezone I would hope the patch will be available prior to launch in the first territory, so hopefully in plenty of time for everyone that isn't in or around Australia.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know this - I was in the preview thread responding to people who thought that nobody wanted visual customisations so the MTX are pointless. It's a huge part of games like this and it seems like they need to do some work to strike a good balance between what can be earned in game and what can be bought.

Personally, I don't look at someone and think "ooh, they've cleared that content" and when I put my personal design together it'll be because that's the way I want to look regardless of power level. If that stuff happens to come from the high level content then it's a bonus.

I'll never forger having to wear things like this while progressing through King's Fall:

tumblr_nvha3v9QBW1uday91o1_500.jpg

... and would have preferred to have the perks from that on something that I wanted to wear. Frankly anything that stopped me wearing my Helm of Saint-14 in Destiny was abhorrent, whether I needed its perks or not.

I hear you...

All games like these should have a transmog system of some kind. The only time I think there's a valid reason not to is if in PvP you need the visual cue of the armour to get what your opponent is going to be doing, but then you could just disable transmog in PvP....

It always baffles me when so many devs get the cosmetic loot game so wrong, to me it's really simple:

Have a good amount of cosmetic options that are part of the loot pool.
Abilities are installed separately to the armour/transmog system.

Sure, it takes time to develop these things, but why it's not a priority for games like this I'll never understand.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
people seem to be finishing all the launch content at an alarmingly fast rate...is there really that little gameplay at launch?...people can finish GM levels after only a few days?...is that normal?...did Destiny, The Division etc also have such little content at launch?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
people seem to be finishing all the launch content at an alarmingly fast rate...is there really that little gameplay at launch?...people can finish GM levels after only a few days?...is that normal?...did Destiny, The Division etc also have such little content at launch?
I don't know for The Division, but Destiny content was also abysmal. But at least you had a full raid coming. For the rest, you just grinded the same activities to be ready for it.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

There actually is with masterworks. The Masterworks inscriptions can have modifiers that are actually kind of what you were talking about yesterday (for instance there's a masterwork Burning Orb that has venom effect added on).

Jun 1, 2018
the endgame in anthem right now is a joke. not sure what they were doing the last 6 years

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yes. Both were really bad at launch in the same way. Both improved (Division moreso than Destiny imo). At this point, this seems par for the course.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So for the people that are really deep into the game, and play Storm. Is the Banshee armour the only one we can get ?

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
So sad that the Interceptor is the only one looking female-ish. I want more sexy Javelins!

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Also, if it's a build-based game, where is my character stat page?

The "potential" for that has not finished evolving in time ready for launch.

Yes. Both were really bad at launch in the same way. Both improved (Division moreso than Destiny imo). At this point, this seems par for the course.

At this point is borderline insulting comparing this crap with those 2 games at their worst states. Destiny 1 particularly had more content, it played better and was far more stable release than this. And that game released on 4 vastly different platforms.
The biggest problem from D1 Y1 was it's lack of proper progression system, which was understandable since Bungie had 0 experience with a game of this type, the content and the gameplay was there. The Bungie DNA was there.

You can't even save the Bioware DNA aspects of the game because they're not there and the rest? Not on launch.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There actually is with masterworks. The Masterworks inscriptions can have modifiers that are actually kind of what you were talking about yesterday (for instance there's a masterwork Burning Orb that has venom effect added on).

Thats cool, but again there is nothing saying these inscriptions couldn't be added to armor pieces. Just feels like a waste to have 3 slots dedicated to nothing but modifiers.

It's getting annoying seeing the exact same armor over and over and over...

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

There is no point going above GM1 enemy HP and damage balloons up so much already at GM2. GM2 is doable with coordinated and well synergizing group. No one that sane is doing GM3 as single red bar enemy is like fighting Oryx in the raid.

When it comes to amount of content there isn't much there.

3 Strongholds, free roam and set of bounties on loop.

So for the people that are really deep into the game, and play Storm. Is the Banshee armour the only one we can get ?

Yep, only alternative armor Storm can get is one from demo.

I don't count Deluxe Edition armor, but if you want to then two sets.

Game has no javelin customization in place as is.