• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but what do they actually mean by that?

Bioware has been courting the Destiny community with this game. There are lots of famous Destiny streamers who are credited in Anthem. They know what we want. The fact that they aren't coming out saying they have it indicates they don't actually have what we want. The most reasonable thing to think about Cataclysms is that they are hard public events that appear in Freeplay. If it's not new dungeons or other content, what else can it be?

Occam's razor rarely, if ever, fails.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Fine. And I pointed out to the guy that expecting the cataclysm in March isn't sensible, to me those updates look monthly at best. But going on from there, playing a guessing which game will get a "raid" first and saying Anthem will be dead if it doesn't have one by the time Division 2 launches... that's not adding anything of value and is frankly ridiculous.

I was being hyperbolic to prove a greater point, and that is BW needs to be on top of the ball or otherwise the player base will hop on to whatever the next game is. Right now, that's The Division 2 which will launch likely before any "Cataclysm" content debuts.

We've literally seen this in the very same genre and we've seen how little patience the communities have as recently as Destiny 2. These are real concerns with a game that is content starved and struggling.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You don't think two games of the same broad genre will have to compete for (i) players, (ii) player time, and (iii) long term engagement? C'mon now.
I imagine they will. But the comment you made was regarding Anthem needing a raid-like experience before Division 2 launches, which made no sense whatsoever to me and still doesn't.

Nov 14, 2017
Fine. And I pointed out to the guy that expecting the cataclysm in March isn't sensible, to me those updates look monthly at best. But going on from there, playing a guessing which game will get a "raid" first and saying Anthem will be dead if it doesn't have one by the time Division 2 launches... that's not adding anything of value and is frankly ridiculous.
I mean, if Anthem doesn't get meaningful endgame content in March then it wasn't sensible for EA to ship it when they did. These games live and die by the endgame.

Anthem doesn't have to get a 'raid' as such; what it needs is a meaningful pinnacle activity and that activity has to ship in the launch window.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you are downed, is there any way to quit the mission before you get revived?

There doesn't seem to be. And you can't check the menus or anything during this. What a baffling design choice.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Division 2 is a non-factor. The ppl that are going to buy Division 2....are the ppl that liked division. How many of those ppl still exist?

Anthem is casual friendly. In regards to its actually fun to pick up and play the game.
tenor.gif

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they will. But the comment you made was regarding Anthem needing a raid-like experience before Division 2 launches, which made no sense whatsoever to me and still doesn't.

If Anthem has no meaningful endgame content before Division 2 launches while the latter has meaningful endgame content at launch and post-launch don't you think that would affect (i) sales of both, (ii) player retention for the former, and (iii) longterm retention of either?

I was being hyperbolic and simple because I thought it was clear what endgame means for games like this. Next time I'll explain it better.

I mean, if Anthem doesn't get meaningful endgame content in March then it wasn't sensible for EA to ship it when they did. These games live and die by the endgame.

Anthem doesn't have to get a 'raid' as such; what it needs is a meaningful pinnacle activity and that activity has to ship in the launch window.

Bingo.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You literally can't do anything when you're down. It's really dumb.

Maybe it's mode dependent, or there was a stealth "patch" to this, but when doing Freeplay faction missions, I get "hold F to respawn" after around ten seconds. It might have to do with your proximity to others though. Could always do that solo, but only noticed it actually being an option when grouped recently.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's mode dependent, or there was a stealth "patch" to this, but when doing Freeplay faction missions, I get "hold F to respawn" after around ten seconds. It might have to do with your proximity to others though. Could always do that solo, but only noticed it actually being an option when grouped recently.

You can respawn after a set period of time only in non-respawn restricted areas I believe.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
this impression is brutal

Mod Edit: Inappropriate content removed

Last edited by a moderator:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Tell me about it. The game is too hot to ship and March will likely come & go without anything more than fixes, QoL, guilds and a few bits and pieces.

Endgame is all important, it's why many people jump in, for the long haul. Unfortunately right now end game begins and ends with opening freeplay chests. These are the kinds of things they'll be keeping busy with fixing up for the next month or 2, not massive game-changing content drops. Sad but realistic.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it. The game is too hot to ship and March will likely come & go without anything more than fixes, QoL, guilds and a few bits and pieces.

Endgame is all important, it's why many people jump in, for the long haul. Unfortunately right now end game begins and ends with opening freeplay chests. These are the kinds of things they'll be keeping busy with fixing up for the next month or 2, not massive game-changing content drops. Sad but realistic.

Precisely. Which is why a competitor so close on the horizon likely puts more pressure on BW to right the ship.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Mmmm I don't think you know what you're talking about, to put it mildly.
based on?? I mean the only thing ppl remember about Division is that it sold a ton...and then lost all of its playerbase in something like 2 weeks. How division 2 is all of a sudden going to be big, i dont understand that logic. Or how the same ppl that are going to play Anthem are like screw this ill play Division 2 instead. I mean...im sure thats gonna happen. But only by those ppl that were already going to play Divison 2 anyway because they are the ones who stuck with Division 1

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If you find that acceptable then more power to you, but I don't, especially when they've had the chance to observe other games just like this for years. Other games having similar problems is not a justification for this game having those problems as well. In fact, it's more of a reason as to why they shouldn't have these problems.

I don't know. I didn't hear him say anything about it while they were doing it. I didn't think he'd do it though as he tends to avoid the shortcut route in most games, particularly Destiny.

If it is not fixed before launch then its unacceptable. But that things like that happen in early access is very much to be expected of games with this amount different mechanisms. Especially since these things often dont appear before the game gets released to a wider audience. But now they know its there and they need to fix it asap.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
based on?? I mean the only thing ppl remember about Division is that it sold a ton...and then lost all of its playerbase in something like 2 weeks. How division 2 is all of a sudden going to be big, i dont understand that logic. Or how the same ppl that are going to play Anthem are like screw this ill play Division 2 instead. I mean...im sure thats gonna happen. But only by those ppl that were already going to play Divison 2 anyway because they are the ones who stuck with Division 1

I don't really know what to say, you're doubling down on the ignorance.
TD1 has still (almost 3 years after release) a fairly large player base and a dedicated following. It was never deserted in any sense of the word.
As for how TD2 will sell well, oh I don't know, maybe because the preorders are up from TD1, which was the industry's best selling new IP in its first week and Ubisoft's best selling game in its time. That usually doesn't happen with games who proved to be shallow and/or died quickly.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
If it is not fixed before launch then its unacceptable. But that things like that happen in early access is very much to be expected of games with this amount different mechanisms. Especially since these things often dont appear before the game gets released to a wider audience. But now they know its there and they need to fix it asap.

This isn't a beta or some tech demo, it's the full game. People need to stop justifying awful decisions because an early access label gets slapped on the full game and it gets released a week early.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a beta or some tech demo, it's the full game. People need to stop justifying awful decisions because an early access label gets slapped on the full game and it gets released a week early.

But this seems more like a spawn / rng number that is way of than a deliberate design decision.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I don't really know what to say, you're doubling down on the ignorance.
TD1 has still (almost 3 years after release) a fairly large player base and a dedicated following. It was never deserted in any sense of the word.
As for how TD2 will sell well, oh I don't know, maybe because the preorders are up from TD1, which was the industry's best selling new IP in its first week and Ubisoft's best selling game in its time. That usually doesn't happen with games who proved to be shallow and/or died quickly.
i dont really want to contribute to the division talk in anthem thread....but if u think Division wasn't deserted. Then u musta been in a coma or something after that game launched. idk how u could've avoided all of those headlines about it if u tried. Unless u were on honeymoon in the galapagos or doing missionary work in the uganda and away from any games media for months

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
My CPU hates this game.

If you play on PC and you have some issues - slow loading textures, lag etc - I bet CPU usage is the reason. Check it. I was wondering what was causing lag and slow enemies loading and other problems. My CPU usage is 100%... I saw on reddit it's quite common.

Seriously, I can't even play because of that. And it worked FINE in the Vip Demo. If anyone has a fix for that I'd be grateful...

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
i dont really want to contribute to the division talk in anthem thread....but if u think Division wasn't deserted. Then u musta been in a coma or something after that game launched. idk how u could've avoided all of those headlines about it if u tried. Unless u were on honeymoon in the galapagos or doing missionary work in the uganda and away from any games media for months

I've been playing the game since it launched, I'm certain I have a far better idea of what was happening with it than you do.

Nov 14, 2017
But this seems more like a spawn / rng number that is way of than a deliberate design decision.
I mean, they could change the chest spawns sure, but putting the best loot in the game in the loot pool for random world chests is just straight up a bad idea. Chest farming is just a thing that happens in these kinds of games. Players will find a way.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mod Edit: Inappropriate content removed

oh shit isn't this ResetEra's Mike Williams?

"This article was a LIE."

Ouch.

Sorry but that video is some grade A typical clickbait Youtuber bullshit. If he cannot understand that that article is based on the press event and what Mike Gamble told them about the game he should just quit his channel right now.
THis is Yongyea levels of stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've reached a point in the story where I don't have any missions to do and I don't have anyone to talk to.

How do I advance?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
https://steamcharts.com/app/365590
10k concurrent on steam alone, not counting a very significant part of the player base on Uplay. Massive stuck to their game and won players back, partly because the game had a solid base to work on. The same simply can't be said about Anthem.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm just trying to figure out why Fort Tarsis is the way it is. Like they said the walk speed is slow because of some sort of engine limitation but why couldn't it be more like DA:I? Why first person at all? Anthem is a 3rd person shooter already. In DA:I you can run around and talk to quest givers just fine in 3rd person and the cutscenes came out fine too, again, all with the Frostbite engine. I just can't wrap my head around it. It's so bad.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they could change the chest spawns sure, but putting the best loot in the game in the loot pool for random world chests is just straight up a bad idea. Chest farming is just a thing that happens in these kinds of games. Players will find a way.

And again that is something they can easily fix. Like I said if this doesnt get fixed asap we have a grave issue, but its something that is easy to fix. I am much more worried about the rubber banding and load screens, since they dont seem to be easy to change.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
christ, was is it about this bloody game and the constant connection problem issues... everytime i talk to NPC's in Fort Tarsis, it bloody looses connection... shit is getting annoying now... (PC)

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry but that video is some grade A typical clickbait Youtuber bullshit. If he cannot understand that that article is based on the press event and what Mike Gamble told them about the game he should just quit his channel right now.
THis is Yongyea levels of stupid.

So it's okay for the Bioware dev to lie? I don't care about the video, and yes the guy in the article is quoting what Gamble said, but Gamble is clearly lying..

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So it's okay for the Bioware dev to lie? I don't care about the video, and yes the guy it quoting what Gamble said, but Gamble is clearly lying..

Absolutely not, but he is saying the article is a lie, which is not the case. He is effectively putting Mike Williamson on the spot here, while its Mike Gamble who is the lier.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't think he's saying the writer lied in the article, more likely that Bioware lied in their interviews, as highlighted by this USGamer article.
While that makes sense, unfortunately his face is on it and the claim probably wasn't challenged.

Weird to see these rubberband comments. I havent experienced it ones. Playing on Xbox btw.
I had that in the demo a few times and it was the worst experience ever.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017

But it is missing its release day patch. So I get where your coming from, but technically it's not released yet. We know there is loads of changes coming to release day, this is no different than a normal early access game like Dead Cells getting it's 1.0 patch that changes a lot. I'm not saying you can't review Anthem right now, or that you can be angry about it's issues, I'm just saying that without it's release day patch that they said will come on the actual release day of the 22nd it's not technically finished.