• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any say on fixing loot? Sometimes I miss my loot from enemies. It should be fixed like how destiny is, you get any missed items at the end of the mission or you get a big notifier on mini map where a orb is dropped. Its hard sometimes seeing loot dropped.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This issue will come up as more people reach the masterwork/legendary grind. Nothing like finally getting a MW component that increases pistol and shotgun ammo when I use neither or ever will, I love my rifles. There is no re-roll and upgrade system (kinda like The Division) here either so...

Better yet is to get a masterwork Storm Component that gives you bonus to Autocannons.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is there any say on fixing loot? Sometimes I miss my loot from enemies. It should be fixed like how destiny is, you get any missed items at the end of the mission or you get a big notifier on mini map where a orb is dropped. Its hard sometimes seeing loot dropped.
You get it at the end of a run. You won't loose things.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Which are coming sometime next month.
No, Act one begins next month with update 1: Evolving World. That's followed by Update 2: Stronger Together, where we get guilds etc. Update 3 is where the first Cataclysm comes in and ends Act 1. So it's more likely to be a lot later than march until you see it.

Is there any confirmation that Cataclysm is supposed to be a raid? I haven't heard any kind of details like that at all.
It's not. They don't use the word "raid". It's the most challenging content the game has to offer. That's all we really know.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
But you agree you shouldnt just hand out loot without a challenge yes? Regardless of time to kill on GM difficulty, loot should not be handed out free of any trial or tribulation. This game isn't popping out chests or drops in the frequency of Diablo 3 either. It's a different beast. If you want a this looter to rain down loot like Diablo you're in the wrong place.

I do agree that loot shouldn't be handed out without a challenge, but rewards in regards to value can be observed through volume of rewards or quality of rewards. The game isn't scaling volume of rewards to difficulty of challenge, and all of the gear scales towards the player's player level.

The same exact logic you're applying to this could also be applied to a GM1 activity versus a GM2 or 3 activity - there is no individual reward for a GM2 or 3 activity that sets it apart to GM1. The only thing the player gets, and they don't feel this because there is no feedback to indicate as much, but behind the scenes the player has a chance to get better loot, meaning the chance the rolls will roll Rare or even Epic is lessened to make room for a higher chance at MW/Legendary rewards.

However, that doesn't feel very rewarding either - its the same exact loot table. By this logic, you shouldn't ever do GM2 or 3 - in the amount of time I can do a GM2, I could also do 3 GM1s, which means I am getting 3x the volume of rewards towards the same loot table.

Is there any confirmation that Cataclysm is supposed to be a raid? I haven't heard any kind of details like that at all.
Its not a raid. It just changes the state of Freeplay events. This game does not have the equivalent of a raid-like activity.

Nov 14, 2017
So, apparently the difficulty levels are bugged. Watching Bahroo's stream, and he's been getting info that the difficulty levels from the beta for GM1-3 were shipped in this version of the game, when it should have all been retuned. This basically means that GM1 is currently where they wanted GM3 to be, so you basically go from farming hard to GM3.

This is all pretty incredible to watch; glad I'm not actually playing though. He's now farming 100 public events.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well, they view Raids as being asperational content, something players work towards, so Cataclysm content fits into their view of raids, not just a massive dungeons full of bosses etc.

Personally, I think raids will be a thing they will add, since they are just longer Strongholds.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I do agree that loot shouldn't be handed out without a challenge, but rewards in regards to value can be observed through volume of rewards or quality of rewards. The game isn't scaling volume of rewards to difficulty of challenge, and all of the gear scales towards the player's player level.

The same exact logic you're applying to this could also be applied to a GM1 activity versus a GM2 or 3 activity - there is no individual reward for a GM2 or 3 activity that sets it apart to GM1. The only thing the player gets, and they don't feel this because there is no feedback to indicate as much, but behind the scenes the player has a chance to get better loot, meaning the chance the rolls will roll Rare or even Epic is lessened to make room for a higher chance at MW/Legendary rewards.

However, that doesn't feel very rewarding either - its the same exact loot table. By this logic, you shouldn't ever do GM2 or 3 - in the amount of time I can do a GM2, I could also do 3 GM1s, which means I am getting 3x the volume of rewards towards the same loot table.

Its not a raid. It just changes the state of Freeplay events. This game does not have the equivalent of a raid-like activity.
Totally. The GM 1-3 loot tables and rewards should really be changed eventually too to compensate for the time it takes to complete them. But that's a whole different situation entirely.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Cataclysms sound like they add global modifiers, maybe some new environmental effects. Not sure if we'll see new dungeons/raids as part of them, especially since they're limited time events.

Happo

Jul 5, 2018
I think one thing that has been overlooked by people is the weapon balance, because some(maybe most) of the weapons are just straight shit. And then there are few which are really damn OP.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This is exactly my feeling as well. Every time I login I get really bored of the missions and tired of waiting for loading screens and then just turn it back off again. The thought that it's more of the same, over and over again for +gooder loot is in no way appealing. Not when I could hop on Destiny 2, stick with Warframe (my current go to loot shooter), or play the Division 2 at launch. And much like you I can't say "well, it's wonky and buggy, and the load screens suck, but everything else is fun". I can say that with Fallout 76, because at least exploration is fun and I like the loot.

I also recommend people wait on this. I think that once the general population gets in and starts playing, many are going to be really bummed when they realize they spent $60 on what feels like an over-extended demo. It's a shame, really.
Yep. I'm gonna look into the Division 2. This game just isn't grabbing me after 13 hours.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Hopefully the updates will be every two weeks

In progression, I'm at the point where I need to get some parts from these sentient scar things or titans, and I haven't been interested in doing that yet. I think I am going to wait for the D1 patch mostly. There's no real end game content right now anyways, so I don't feel the need to rush progression so soon.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I'm slow, but I find the menus, objective lists, inventory and map do be really confusing and not intuitive in the least. It look me a few minutes to figure out how to start a damn mission at first, I don't understand why I have to go into a sub menu to select the mission, then back out and press X to launch it...its so jumbled.

The map is also terrible. I'm in a free roam collecting minerals or some crap and I found all of them, then it tells me to return to fort Tarsis. I can't figure out where the hell it is, I'm flying around in circles, and there are no objective markers or anything on the compass to point me towards the objective.

Am I missing something?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
And in the same time you do 3 GM1s or 1 GM2, I've gone in freeplay GM3 and flown from chest to chest, not even aiming my weapon, and the game has rewarded me with a dozen or more far better chances at MW and Legendaries as your single event.

This is where the game is currently flawed.

We don't actually know the limit of what cataclysms offer content-wise. We know they don;t use the word raid and we know the world changes, but we do not know that all there is to it is different world events (it might well be, but they have not said so to the best of my knowledge).

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe I'm slow, but I find the menus, objective lists, inventory and map do be really confusing and not intuitive in the least. It look me a few minutes to figure out how to start a damn mission at first, I don't understand why I have to go into a sub menu to select the mission, then back out and press X to launch it...its so jumbled.

The map is also terrible. I'm in a free roam collecting minerals or some crap and I found all of them, then it tells me to return to fort Tarsis. I can't figure out where the hell it is, I'm flying around in circles, and there are no objective markers or anything on the compass to point me towards the objective.

Am I missing something?

Yes, UI is all over the place but a recent dev stream did show off a much improved UI for the missions etc.

You can just end freeroam and it will take you to Tarsis and show everything you collected.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Totally. The GM 1-3 loot tables and rewards should really be changed eventually too to compensate for the time it takes to complete them. But that's a whole different situation entirely.

Heres the ultimate problem with this situation, and I understand this is a dev issue, but bear with me - if I have to create loot that is exclusive to the activity or challenge, this means I cannot create challenging activities in a quick manner because I am always going to be depending on art/design/programming to implement that loot & to create it and ensure its compelling.

Diablo 3 didn't have an update to its gameplay that went beyond adding new challenges that weren't just remixed preexisting content, and it kept it afloat for nearly 5 years. The amount of new art added was very limited, both in terms of weapons/armor or levels and enemies. If I am going to make armor/weapons exclusive to the challenging activity it takes to get them, then I have to make wholly new content every time, and that is ultimately very unlikely given the on-going MTX structure of the game (no paid expansions/everything is cosmetics). A lot of their ongoing funds is going to go towards generating a lot of cutscenes & story events, which means they will probably have to update the endgame loot table, rather than creating new layers to it.

With this in turn means is that the best short-term solution towards maintaining the feeling of rewards for the most challenging difficulty shouldn't be the reward themselves, but the volume of rewards that is produced. This is exactly what Diablo 3 did, and this game's gameplay & incentive design mirrors it more closely than any other loot-driven game.

Nov 14, 2017
Well, they view Raids as being asperational content, something players work towards, so Cataclysm content fits into their view of raids, not just a massive dungeons full of bosses etc.

Personally, I think raids will be a thing they will add, since they are just longer Strongholds.
Cataclysms are confirmed to not be raids.

Also, it's naïve to think they will add raids. They are not listed anywhere on the roadmap and partnered streamers have been told not to use the term.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Have they explained why you can't change loot or skills unless you're in the forge?

Ostensibly so that people don't fiddle with the inventory instead of playing the mission while in the overworld. You know that situation in Destiny and The Division when everyone just stands around changing their gear constantly instead of following the objective? Yeah, me neither, but in Anthem, you're protected from it.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
We don't actually know the limit of what cataclysms offer content-wise. We know they don;t use the word raid and we know the world changes, but we do not know that all there is to it is different world events (it might well be, but they have not said so to the best of my knowledge).

They teased a cataclym/shaper-storm like event on the last day of the beta, so you can derive what it'll be from that. Honestly, if they simply just add more items onto the loot table for these events, or a reward system that is active only when this event is live, thats probably the best we can hope for, but I think people in the community using this as a stand-in for a raid are just setting onlookers up for disappointment because that ain't what it'll be.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
They teased a cataclym/shaper-storm like event on the last day of the beta, so you can derive what it'll be from that. Honestly, if they simply just add more items onto the loot table for these events, or a reward system that is active only when this event is live, thats probably the best we can hope for, but I think people in the community using this as a stand-in for a raid are just setting onlookers up for disappointment because that ain't what it'll be.

Agreed. Half of my gaming group is really into it but they're very intent under the preconception that cataclysms will bring raid-like content.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Heres the ultimate problem with this situation, and I understand this is a dev issue, but bear with me - if I have to create loot that is exclusive to the activity or challenge, this means I cannot create challenging activities in a quick manner because I am always going to be depending on art/design/programming to implement that loot & to create it and ensure its compelling.

Diablo 3 didn't have an update to its gameplay that went beyond adding new challenges that weren't just remixed preexisting content, and it kept it afloat for nearly 5 years. The amount of new art added was very limited, both in terms of weapons/armor or levels and enemies. If I am going to make armor/weapons exclusive to the challenging activity it takes to get them, then I have to make wholly new content every time, and that is ultimately very unlikely given the on-going MTX structure of the game (no paid expansions/everything is cosmetics). A lot of their ongoing funds is going to go towards generating a lot of cutscenes & story events, which means they will probably have to update the endgame loot table, rather than creating new layers to it.

With this in turn means is that the best short-term solution towards maintaining the feeling of rewards for the most challenging difficulty shouldn't be the reward themselves, but the volume of rewards that is produced. This is exactly what Diablo 3 did, and this game's gameplay & incentive design mirrors it more closely than any other loot-driven game.
Ultimately, you and I don't know how those chests are programmed. Regardless of any looter design choices, the free play chests need to be changed. I hope it's a simple adjustment in their programming. But truth be told, I'm anxiously waiting here at work wanting to get home and level to 30 asap in case they hot fix it soon. I don't want to miss out on easily powering up my character because I'm a dirty exploitative cheater :p

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, you and I don't know how those chests are programmed. Regardless of any looter design choices, the free play chests need to be changed. I hope it's a simple adjustment in their programming. But truth be told, I'm anxiously waiting here at work wanting to get home and level to 30 asap in case they hot fix it soon. I don't want to miss out on easily powering up my character because I'm a dirty exploitative cheater :p

Same lol.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Today would be a Holiday for the team in Austin at least. Not sure how Bioware handles that though since a lot of yhe production took place at the studio in Canada but a lot of post-launch support is supposed to come out of Austin.

It's Family Day here in Edmonton. So it should be a holiday for them...but with it so close to release, they are probably working.

Nov 14, 2017
Who cares? This whole Anthem vs Division 2 stuff is a load of fanboy nonsense.
Not at all. Anthem is purporting to be a loot shooter, and so the end-game is critical. I'm not really interested in The Division, so I really want to like Anthem to scratch my Destiny itch as Destiny is in a bit of a content lull right now - their next raid won't come out for another 3 months or so. So, questions about end-game content are totally reasonable for people who want to know what they are getting.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's so hard to update these massive online games in the current gaming landscape. After games like Fortnite which provided big updates at an incredible fast pace, gamers really want big new contents in a short time frame.

I don't know if Bioware has the right amount of skills , experience and resources to keep up.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Whaaaat? No chance. they've got a million fires to put out first, they can't build until foundations are solid.

Sure.

You don't think two games of the same broad genre will have to compete for (i) players, (ii) player time, and (iii) long term engagement? C'mon now.

We literally saw this with the first game's launch--people couldn't wait to ditch Destiny, and that had some manner of endgame content by that point.

What makes/breaks games like this is dev responsiveness. BW has talked well over the past few months. Now's the time to see if they can follow through and keep--or otherwise grow--a player base.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

Am I missing something?

The menus are very...nested. The mission launch menus uses a top view of everything before launching where you go into sub menus to pick certain things before then backing back out to the top view to finally launch.

They aren't *that* bad once you get a hang of them, but they aren't the most intuitive and could have been done better.

With regards to Ft Tarsis, that is the base. You just open your map and their should be a prompt at the bottom to "hold F to return end freeplay" and that will take you back to Ft Tarsis. My wife was confused with that as well and I think a lot of people that didn't play in the demo will be a bit behind on learning those small details that aren't covered well by the game.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Division 2 is a non-factor. The ppl that are going to buy Division 2....are the ppl that liked division. How many of those ppl still exist?

Anthem is casual friendly. In regards to its actually fun to pick up and play the game.

Nov 14, 2017
Yes but when Bioware are talking Raid, they mean content that is endgame that focuses the player, not just an MMO style raid being a big dungeon.
Sure, but what do they actually mean by that?

Bioware has been courting the Destiny community with this game. There are lots of famous Destiny streamers who are credited in Anthem. They know what we want. The fact that they aren't coming out saying they have it indicates they don't actually have what we want. The most reasonable thing to think about Cataclysms is that they are hard public events that appear in Freeplay. If it's not new dungeons or other content, what else can it be?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not at all. Anthem is purporting to be a loot shooter, and so the end-game is critical. I'm not really interested in The Division, so I really want to like Anthem to scratch my Destiny itch as Destiny is in a bit of a content lull right now - their next raid won't come out for another 3 months or so. So, questions about end-game content are totally reasonable for people who want to know what they are getting.
Fine. And I pointed out to the guy that expecting the cataclysm in March isn't sensible, to me those updates look monthly at best. But going on from there, playing a guessing which game will get a "raid" first and saying Anthem will be dead if it doesn't have one by the time Division 2 launches... that's not adding anything of value and is frankly ridiculous.