• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
rng chance is very easy to tweak.

That's not the point. It shouldn't be a problem in the first place. You should never be able to get the best loot in the game by simply turning up the difficulty and running around opening chests. Bioware has had the chance to observe numerous looter shooters and the issues that plagued them at launch and yet their game still launches with some of the exact same issues. I'm tired of waiting a year or two for an overhaul that actually makes these games good. We've heard it again and again with these games. Tons of untapped potential, but that's it. Happened with Destiny, Division, Destiny 2, and now Anthem.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Imo everyone is supposed to start from scratch once you obtain that quest. People who claim to have things retroactively complete didn't realize they had the quest unlocked in the first place. I've seen zero evidence that anything carried over for anyone once the quest unlocks. I've also read it'll be patched but I haven't seen any evidence of the devs saying this either. If someone could link that'd be nice. I think there's a whole lot of misinformation going around with it. Further more...... The quest is seriously not as bad as people are blowing it up to be. You're supposed to get the quest, and keep playing the game naturally obtaining the things needed for it. The only people who it's truly upsetting are those trying to rush through the game as fast as possible.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
And that's completely RNG and the drop rate on it is ridiculously low whereas in Anthem you can literally sit there and just turn up the difficulty to one that dramatically increases the drop chance for both MW and Legendary items and run around and open chests without ever having to kill anything and get rewarded with the best loot in the game. I just watched KingGothalion and his squad get like 8-10 MW items while running around opening chests in freeplay. This isn't remotely like Destiny. In Destiny, the best guns are normally linked to specific quests, raids, or nightfalls. Those are pinnacle activities. That isn't the case with Anthem at all.

Gothalion is a mega fan of the game - did he have an opinion on the chest farming being good/bad etc?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Has Bioware specifically addressed this somewhere I can look at? I've seen other people say it'll be patched too, but haven't found an official source from them.
I haven't seen anything regarding it either. I think people are assuming it'll happen and acting like this early release isn't the full game or something.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's not the point. It shouldn't be a problem in the first place. You should never be able to get the best loot in the game by simply turning up the difficulty and running around opening chests. Bioware has had the chance to observe numerous looter shooters and the issues that plagued them at launch and yet their game still launches with some of the exact same issues. I'm tired of waiting a year or two for an overhaul that actually makes these games good. We've heard it again and again with these games. Tons of untapped potential, but that's it. Happened with Destiny, Division, Destiny 2, and now Anthem.

But it is and it will be in every type of game like this when they first come out. The massive amount of loading is a issue that worries me. But loot rng and spawn issues in early access can easily be fixed and more than likely will be at launch.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this is an interesting question. I've pretty much got my review finished to a point I'm happy with (been playing a lot since Friday) but I don't wanna be accused of just rushing out work for clicks on Opencritic. I'm honestly waiting a few days to see what the bigger outlets do. I feel like if EA put the game out there it's basically fair game, this isn't Early Access, but at the same time I'm curious to see what might change come Friday (though I'm doubting much tbh).
There is an argument to be made about reviewing a game "as-is" at launch or reviewing it after Day 1 to reflect the general consumer experience. However, shortening load times and fixing pop-in does not address the core issues of Anthem which seem to be all flash and no substance.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
In German we have this saying:

"Schuster, bleib bei deinem Leisten."

It means that you should stick with what you know how to do. I would advise the same to BioWare. This game is nowhere where it needs to be. I don't even think it would have been serious competition for Destiny 1 or Division 1. Which is incredibly disappointing, because the genre of the looter shooter needs more competition, because there is a lot of potential there. This isn't it though.
Andromeda is probably that.

Unless EA would be fine with BioWare going back to pre-open-world era where it's all static, hard-coded questlines but tons of good conversations a prescripted combat encounters. I just think EA has turned down a couple of those types of pitches already.

Oct 26, 2017
But it is and it will be in every type of game like this when they first come out. The massive amount of loading is a issue that worries me. But loot rng and spawn issues in early access can easily be fixed and more than likely will be at launch.

If it's something so easily fixable, why do you think they didn't fix it in the... let's say, last two years of development? But somehow it's going to be fixed in 7 days?

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
But it is and it will be in every type of game like this when they first come out.

"This is how it is and it's how it always will be" is a poor, almost nonsensical, excuse.

BioWare was developing Anthem when Bungie was dealing with the backlash of Loot Cave, Mars Chest Farming, and Destiny 2's Public Event Exotic Farming. They had ample opportunity to see those issues and realize they needed to change course. How loot is distributed was 100% under their control and they chose follow in the footsteps of Destiny, which got blasted for the design repeatedly, and had to release major game updating patches to fix.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

If you find that acceptable then more power to you, but I don't, especially when they've had the chance to observe other games just like this for years. Other games having similar problems is not a justification for this game having those problems as well. In fact, it's more of a reason as to why they shouldn't have these problems.

Gothalion is a mega fan of the game - did he have an opinion on the chest farming being good/bad etc?

I don't know. I didn't hear him say anything about it while they were doing it. I didn't think he'd do it though as he tends to avoid the shortcut route in most games, particularly Destiny.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"This is how it is and it's how it always will be" is a poor, almost nonsensical, excuse.

BioWare was developing Anthem when Bungie was dealing with the backlash of Loot Cave, Mars Chest Farming, and Destiny 2's Public Event Exotic Farming. They had ample opportunity to see those issues and realize they needed to change course. How loot was distributed with 100% under their control and they chose follow in the footsteps of a game that did the same thing, got blasted for it repeatedly, and had to release major game updating patches to fix.

Destiny loot and Anthem loot are not the same. Destiny effectively went with cookie cutter generic builds. Most of the time - they had periods where people wanted rolls on certain weapons but even then it was limited compared to the inscriptions in Anthem where in theory you could play years and never quite fully optimise a build. I mean it leaves more build diversity in there....though being PVE only limits the use of alternative builds somewhat...

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
yes, but this is an open world game, with public events happening

Yeah I'm not a programmer so don't know what to say. If they said it can't be done I guess it can't be done. Still 4 people in that huge world seems like a waste. Even 8 would be better.

Still have strong holds and missions if I want the group thing but yeah it can get lonely out in that big open world.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
There is an argument to be made about reviewing a game "as-is" at launch or reviewing it after Day 1 to reflect the general consumer experience. However, shortening load times and fixing pop-in does not address the core issues of Anthem which seem to be all flash and no substance.

Yes I agree. I don't like to give publishers extra rope, especially when they've put out a game as lazy and blatantly unfinished as this. And as you say, even if technical stuff is tightened up it won't affect 90% of my complaints about the counter-intuitive multiplayer, lackluster open world, boring story, lack of mission variety and general soullessness.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
He didn't like that the reviewer didn't like it so obviously the review is terrible.
Considering that Jason Schreier even said earlier in this thread that we shouldn't treat any review of this kind of game after 3 days seriously as it's not enough time to review it all, it would suggest that there is a problem with that review.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ouch.

Id8fm1b.png

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What about the review made it god-awful? Seems like every gripe he had was legitimate.
They spoke of the most generic things with absolutely no detail. That review could've been written by someone who hasn't actually played the game. They didn't even get into the actual details of the game play. They only spoke of the loot as different gun drops. Not a word of the mech loot which is the real guiding force here. No word on end game. No word on strong holds. Nothing substantial was written in it. Just that they hated it. Don't get me wrong, the game isn't good, but neither is that review.

rudds

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anything regarding it either. I think people are assuming it'll happen and acting like this early release isn't the full game or something.

Yeah, the part where they're talking about fixing it for "launch" is just ludicrous. What have the people who paid the highest price for your game or subscribed to the premium tier of your service been playing all weekend?

Based on the wording of those tweets I'm guessing the retroactive progress thing is just misinformation being passed around. That doesn't exactly motivate me to get back in there and start grinding those things out though. Maybe I'll just wait till Friday before I play it again.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I get it but, in a way, if a person finds a game unemployable or boring enough to not finish it or play it long...that's a review of sorts for my tastes. Sends a pretty clear message.

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
Destiny loot and Anthem loot are not the same. Destiny effectively went with cookie cutter generic builds. Most of the time - they had periods where people wanted rolls on certain weapons but even then it was limited compared to the inscriptions in Anthem where in theory you could play years and never quite fully optimise a build. I mean it leaves more build diversity in there....though being PVE only limits the use of alternative builds somewhat...

My comment has nothing to do about the quality of the loot or the type of the loot but how it's distributed.

Within days people playing Anthem have found the path of least resistance to get the 'best' levels of loot they can possibly get. Just as they did with Destiny 1's loot cave, or how most of the vanilla Destiny 2 exotics were locked behind simple public events. So people are just farming the easiest way possible to the detriment of any other avenue of end game. Something Bungie had to address twice in the years that Anthem has been in development. And yet BioWare chooses to follow in the same footsteps with their end game loot distribution.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What about the review made it god-awful? Seems like every gripe he had was legitimate.

Just skimmed thru it has some things wrong (need 50 assault rifle kills for quest, no way to tell when someone is down, ect). Wouldn't say god awful but always irks me when can't be bothered to check if your facts are right.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, the part where they're talking about fixing it for "launch" is just ludicrous. What have the people who paid the highest price for your game or subscribed to the premium tier of your service been playing all weekend?

Based on the wording of those tweets I'm guessing the retroactive progress thing is just misinformation being passed around. That doesn't exactly motivate me to get back in there and start grinding those things out though. Maybe I'll just wait till Friday before I play it again.

I can guarantee there will be a patch on official launch day (as there always is nowadays). What will it fix? Nobody will know until it hits. It's not going to save this game and make everything magically great. There are some severe design flaws in Anthem that a patch will not fix. Maybe still take the wait and see though.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
There's a long list of fixes. Dunno about size.

Don't expect the game to suddenly become incredible though, the game is what it is. You either enjoy it or you don't.

are we just gonna post troll tweets from someone with like 17 followers

No, but it's funny. We could post fantasies about how they're going to magically fix fundamental design problems in a week instead.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
They spoke of the most generic things with absolutely no detail. That review could've been written by someone who hasn't actually played the game. They didn't even get into the actual details of the game play. They only spoke of the loot as different gun drops. Not a word of the mech loot which is the real guiding force here. No word on end game. No word on strong holds. Nothing substantial was written in it. Just that they hated it. Don't get me wrong, the game isn't good, but neither is that review.

There honestly isn't much to be said about the gameplay that hasn't been said or covered or could be observed. So much so that I actually feel that the good gameplay mechanics are marred both by baffling design decisions on how stats & enemies interact (Datto actually covered this well last night, but the way health is done in this game is pretty fucking poor especially at end game) and with how the game handles the downed state.

This review wouldn't be better served if you said you can fly, shoot, and use abilities, with the vast majority of abilities being some kind of explosion, only with a difference in size or shape of said explosion. Heck, having only 4 ultimates in a game where your class abilities are literally equippable drops is a huge after thought, and the sort of thing that would create actual depth around build variety that simply isn't there yet.

Imo, the power fantasy of this game's combat, while enjoyable to a degree, is one of the biggest victim's in the shallow amount of content they were able to produce for everything in this game. Having a review take a really close look at it is just as likely to lower the score or sour the opinion as it is able to hopefully keep it afloat.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a long list of fixes. Dunno about size.

Don't expect the game to suddenly become incredible though, the game is what it is. You either enjoy it or you don't.

are we just gonna post troll tweets from someone with like 17 followers
Since when does someone's follower count matter?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
There honestly isn't much to be said about the gameplay that hasn't been said or covered or could be observed. So much so that I actually feel that the good gameplay mechanics are marred both by baffling design decisions on how stats & enemies interact (Datto actually covered this well last night, but the way health is done in this game is pretty fucking poor especially at end game) and with how the game handles the downed state.

This review wouldn't be better served if you said you can fly, shoot, and use abilities, with the vast majority of abilities being some kind of explosion, only with a difference in size or shape of said explosion. Heck, having only 4 ultimates in a game where your class abilities are literally equippable drops is a huge after thought, and the sort of thing that would create actual depth around build variety that simply isn't there yet.

Imo, the power fantasy of this game's combat, while enjoyable to a degree, is one of the biggest victim's in the shallow amount of content they were able to produce for everything in this game. Having a review take a really close look at it is just as likely to lower the score or sour the opinion as it is able to hopefully keep it afloat.

I definitely see your point but I don't think it's detrimental to get into the details. It's just that when the review didn't even elude to understanding there was a combo system involved I have to question it. It's the type of reviewer that probably didn't know what a primer or detonater was during their entire play session. They come off as ill informed to me.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I found it a little funny - I played Anthem until I got downed, thought my game had bugged out since it wasn't responding to any input I sent it, and ultimately alt+f4'd out of it. It was an incredibly frustrating experience that ultimately made me more interested in the discourse around Anthem, than the actual game itself.

boggles the mind who thought it was a brilliant design where you can't even exit out of the mission