• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
What about when your abilities are on cool down? You're not supposed to use weapons?

Cooldown comes back ridiculously fast. You do use weapon. There's 3 weapons type per family (Scout, Grenade Launcher etc). Don't bother with Assault Rifle they literally tickle the ennemeis to death.

It's not rare to ult 2-4 times in a single encounter. And pro tip, using your ultimate is an instant heal and you're invincible while using it.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I am seeing some familiar early launch issues that Anthem shares with other loot shooters etc. For better or worse I am kind of conditioned to accept these issues and just enjoy the time played co-op with friends. However, the inscription description insanity, the lack of a stat sheet and the fact some of the most crucial stat affecting inscriptions are glitched makes me more concerned than repetitive missions or grinding. I will make lemonade with lemons when I can play a game with friends, but if we can't even tell if we are dealing with lemons or potatoes, that is a huge concern. This day 1 patch is going to have to do, "an entire day of Genesis" levels of work to right this ship before the reviews tear it to shreds. All that said, can't wait to play Friday. I had fun with my friends during the demos.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This game desperately needs a stat page and every item modifier description needs to be rewritten and/or a very transparent way of showing how it does (or doesn't) boost your abilities.

These modifiers are so vague (and you have no way of knowing whether any of them actually stack or not). How could this pass through QA?

I just got an item that said "+45% shield". It must only be raising my base, naked shield from level 1 by 45%, not my current total.

in one review, it says the weapons are 'samey', besides as people said, if you are shooting guns instead of using abilities to kill, you are doing it wrong

You can repeat this all you want, but your abilities have cooldowns, and some of the weapons do a massive amount of damage to weak points. If "the point" was to only ever use guns as a backup, there wouldn't be so many different versions of them.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
In German we have this saying:

"Schuster, bleib bei deinem Leisten."

It means that you should stick with what you know how to do. I would advise the same to BioWare. This game is nowhere where it needs to be. I don't even think it would have been serious competition for Destiny 1 or Division 1. Which is incredibly disappointing, because the genre of the looter shooter needs more competition, because there is a lot of potential there. This isn't it though.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck?? They forgot to take out the placeholder text lol
It looks like they used variable names rather than pointers to the actual variables.

There are three DLC content drops for March, they are called Act 1. Then there is Act 2 and Act 3 - assume these will be monthly drops but its not confirmed.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/12-02-2019-anthem-tips-beginners-guide/dlc-release-dates
Act 1 Echoes of Reality starts in March. It won't be over in March. There are three updates within the act, and IMO we'll be lucky if each of those is monthly. Those three acts are year one content for me, but they won't be everything that changes in the world as there will be seasonal (holiday) updates etc. and there will also be lots of fixes and QoL adjustments.

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
despite the problems/issues, I think this game will do well, if you check in the PSN store, the Legion of Dawn edition has twice the number of reviews than the normal edition (2400+ vs 1100+), people are thirsty for a looter shooter game

I think it's more that people are looking for a looter shooter that's Not Destiny™. They're going to be disappointed when they load up Anthem only to discover that BioWare has repeated many of the same flaws that plagued vanilla Destiny 1 and vanilla Destiny 2.

I've lost count of how many times I saw this happen back during the height of World of Warcraft's popularity. People kept clamoring for the next game that was Not WoW™. A new MMO would be announced, people would hype themselves up over it, the game would get a massive influx of new players, the new players would discover the game was rough or had many of the same problems as WoW so they'd leave after a month or three and go back to playing what was more familiar.

The biggest thing damning Anthem is that we've gone through this process three times before over the last 4.5 years. Destiny, Division, Destiny 2. It's like BioWare learned nothing from those examples so here we are in 2019 with a game that has identical issues. A game that, like the others, wants us to wait in the hopes that a massive game changing 2.0 patch (a la Taken King or Forsaken) comes along. I can only speak for myself when I say I'm tired of that process and I'm sure I'm not alone. I gave Bungie and Massive multiple free passes, BioWare... not so much. They had ample opportunity to see what was going on in the genre around them and adjust... and yet here's Mars Chest Farming 2.0.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Hot cuppa coffee! This legendary stacks additively with a regular Heavy Shield component for 600% increased shield charge damage. Hitting for 9k!

ix2uPkk.png

You can really feel the difference once you get a masterwork/legendary component in GM1. My survivability is getting closer to hard levels now.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Hot cuppa coffee! This legendary stacks additively with a regular Heavy Shield component for 600% increased shield charge damage.

ix2uPkk.png

You can really feel the difference once you get a masterwork/legendary component in GM1. My survivability is getting closer to hard levels now.

holy shit that is sweet

will continue unlocked fps in Ps4Pro 1080p in the final version? The purchase depends on this for me

unlikely but we'll see

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hot cuppa coffee! This legendary stacks additively with a regular Heavy Shield component for 600% increased shield charge damage.

Did you drop it in a freeplay chest? :P

will continue unlocked fps in Ps4Pro 1080p in the final version? The purchase depends on this for me
Not known and looking in doubt :( Dev tweeted they "smoothed out the framerate" than have it bobbling up and around 30 - sounds like they capped it. Plenty of people replied begging not to do this for pro, but no reply.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Question for people already further in the game. Are there a lot of new customisation options available? Or does al head,legs, etc look the same?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017

It means that you should stick with what you know how to do. I would advise the same to BioWare. This game is nowhere where it needs to be. I don't even think it would have been serious competition for Destiny 1 or Division 1. Which is incredibly disappointing, because the genre of the looter shooter needs more competition, because there is a lot of potential there. This isn't it though.
Using this logic, something like HZD wouldn't exist.

There's a lot to like here, including the core gameplay that most people seem to be positive about. It's been hampered by poor design decisions, a lot of which aren't going to be easy to improve let alone fix outright, but to suggest that it's a complete waste of time and that they shouldn't have made the effort is ridiculous.

All signs point to it now being locked at 30, unfortunately. Hopefully they can get some options in sooner rather than later, but as long as it's a solid 30 I'll be OK.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Unfortunately EA isn't interested in the type of software that BioWare used to make. They have to do as they are told.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Did you drop it in a freeplay chest? :P

It dropped off of a common scar soldier while doing a legendary contract, but thank you for your concern :p.

I like the freeplay chests though, gives you some progress while searching for world events. I wish the events were advertised on the map though. Contracts should also be accessible through freeplay, and should pop up randomly while flying around. I wish "x" is kind of the subtitle of Anthem :|

rudds

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been covered to death, but what's the final word about the bugginess (or not) of the tomb challenge progress?

I've seen some people say the game is supposed to be tracking your progress on those challenges retroactively from the start of the campaign, so they had some of them already completed when they unlocked that quest step, and that it's a bug if all of your challenges start from zero (like mine did).

Others have said there's no retroactive progress and everyone starts from scratch. Is there a verdict on which is right?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been covered to death, but what's the final word about the bugginess (or not) of the tomb challenge progress?

I've seen some people say the game is supposed to be tracking your progress on those challenges retroactively from the start of the campaign, so they had some of them already completed when they unlocked that quest step, and that it's a bug if all of your challenges start from zero (like mine did).

Others have said there's no retroactive progress and everyone starts from scratch. Is there a verdict on which is right?

this is supposed to be fixed on the Day 1 February 22 Patch

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
And that's completely RNG and the drop rate on it is ridiculously low whereas in Anthem you can literally sit there and just turn up the difficulty to one that dramatically increases the drop chance for both MW and Legendary items and run around and open chests without ever having to kill anything and get rewarded with the best loot in the game. I just watched KingGothalion and his squad get like 8-10 MW items while running around opening chests in freeplay. This isn't remotely like Destiny. In Destiny, the best guns are normally linked to specific quests, raids, or nightfalls. Those are pinnacle activities. That isn't the case with Anthem at all.

rng chance is very easy to tweak.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Personally i think reviewers should wait for after the day1 patch. At the moment at the current state i would rate it 6.5/10 with the potential to give it a better score with the patch that hopefully fixes a lot of the technical problems i encountered like freezing loading screens, tons of disconnects, server problems after doing mission which i had to replay up to three times, rubberbanding (just once very badly), errors through cutscenes etc etc. BUT the flying is really fun

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Personally i think reviewers should wait for after the day1 patch. At the moment at the current state i would rate it 6.5/10 with the potential to give it a better score with the patch that hopefully fixes a lot of the technical problems i encountered like freezing loading screens, tons of disconnects, server problems after doing mission which i had to replay up to three times, rubberbanding (just once very badly), errors through cutscenes etc etc. BUT the flying is really fun

Yeah this is an interesting question. I've pretty much got my review finished to a point I'm happy with (been playing a lot since Friday) but I don't wanna be accused of just rushing out work for clicks on Opencritic. I'm honestly waiting a few days to see what the bigger outlets do. I feel like if EA put the game out there it's basically fair game, this isn't Early Access, but at the same time I'm curious to see what might change come Friday (though I'm doubting much tbh).

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm debating on picking this up or not, I'm really enjoying the game so far through EA access. I usually hope in and do 2 missions or so a night then hop off. The overarching story is pretty cool so far but the missions feel mundane and none of the actual missions have had any deep impact on the story so far and I'm probably 3 hours into it if not more, got my storm to a level 7.

With that being said, the way I'm playing it in short burst I'm not sure if its doable during the long run. I dont care much for raids and such, I just want to see the story through its completion and get cool looking loot on the journey.

Might re-up my gamefly membership to rent this if I'm still feeling the itch after the 10 hours runs out.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Imo everyone is supposed to start from scratch once you obtain that quest. People who claim to have things retroactively complete didn't realize they had the quest unlocked in the first place. I've seen zero evidence that anything carried over for anyone once the quest unlocks. I've also read it'll be patched but I haven't seen any evidence of the devs saying this either. If someone could link that'd be nice. I think there's a whole lot of misinformation going around with it. Further more...... The quest is seriously not as bad as people are blowing it up to be. You're supposed to get the quest, and keep playing the game naturally obtaining the things needed for it. The only people who it's truly upsetting are those trying to rush through the game as fast as possible.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Another thing hope they can change, free roam needs more then 4 people max, can they triple that? I mean the world is huge.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019