• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
They need to reduce the speed of AI target acquisition with hitscan weapons. Those escari tanks can instantly tag you even if they are in the middle of firing at someone else in the opposite direction. Escari fights are pretty much just peeking out 10 pixels from cover to shoot its toes. Feels bad that so many encounters devolve into cover based shooter territory.

Their number one priority in encounter design should have been exploiting your javelin's mobility. Sitting behind cover or on a capture point just feels so antithetical to the advertised experience. Especially as colossus on GM+ there are so many encounters where you're basically ground locked because you get overheated the second you're off the ground if an enemy hits you ONCE.

shesh how is this fun

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What are they ruining? There's no PVP or competitive aspect of this.
The loot chase, the point of playing the endgame. They're bypassing any effort whatsoever to click a button to receive goodies. That might not directly affect others in that there's no advantage that will harm them, but it will make them far more effective in missions if they're geared to the tits a matter of days after the game launched.

I play these games with others for the experience and to shoot the shit while taking on stuff that's challenging and to get further geared up. I don't want to join a party next Thursday and find someone is decked out in MW & Legendary gear 'cause he spent 10 hours going into freeplay, followed a path, didn't fire a weapon or use a power, just pressed a button over and over for a dice roll when half the fun is the race to earn that and the banter that goes along with it.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
The loot chase, the point of playing the endgame. They're bypassing any effort whatsoever to click a button to receive goodies. That might not directly affect others in that there's no advantage that will harm them, but it will make them far more effective in missions if they're geared to the tits a matter of days after the game launched.

I play these games with others for the experience and to shoot the shit while taking on stuff that's challenging and to get further geared up. I don't want to join a party next Thursday and find someone is decked out in MW & Legendary gear 'cause he spent 10 hours going into freeplay, followed a path, didn't fire a weapon or use a power, just pressed a button over and over for a dice roll when half the fun is the race to earn that and the banter that goes along with it.

they won't gain xp though

Oct 26, 2017
6.9/10 ? More than i expected tbh.

From the sound of it he put a lot of weight on his enjoyment of the combat system, even though he acknowledged that the rest of the game is flawed. As he mentioned his time with Anthem was rather brief, it might be that he was still somewhat in the honeymoon phase with it. So I can see how he then ended up with a 6.9.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
The real issue of people using that ultimate exploit will be matchmaking - I have no desire to be involved in games like that, it'll be like D3 on PS3 once everyone had some kind of god build. If they're running a closed group I don't see a problem.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Maybe not banning people for simply using this exploit, but streaming yourself using the exploit to thousands of viewers multiple times should warrant at least some kind of slap in the wrists.

well, no, they are not doing anything illegal there...and Destiny 2 is basically "Glitch: The Game" so they just do what they know from there lol

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

But what you described shouldn't ruin your own experience--it's just their personal experience. You being matchmade with folks having much better gear than you (and thus a better gear score?) would indicate that the matchmaking would need work, no?

At the end of the day, the game's about loot. You win by getting the best. If there's a means to get the best in an efficient manner, it's well within the confines of the game to do that.

This isn't the Bullet King and it's not really the Loot Cave.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
This infinite ultra glitch is amazing. Makes farming GM3 a breeze.

Gaming is weird, You got guys like this already completed the game now exploiting it to thousands of viewers, Yet the game isn't even out until friday. What a gaming age we live in lol.

If anything it puts me off even more, Let alone with all the problems the game has.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What, the gunplay in Division is way better than the gunplay in Anthem.
That is also is a big issue for me because why should i grind for gear when it's no fun to use?

I agree. But again gunplay is not all there is to Anthems combat. Anthems combat wants you to use your skills to put together cool combos.
And even though the gunplay is better in Division, if it's gunplay you want you should play Destiny instead.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But what you described shouldn't ruin your own experience--it's just their personal experience. You being matchmade with folks having much better gear than you (and thus a better gear score?) would indicate that the matchmaking would need work, no?

I'm talking about playing with friends and us going through the content together, getting stronger together (lolol) and being able to do tougher stuff together. Not matchmade with randoms. I don't wanna fire the game up in the first week to find someone has spent all day opening chests with no effort to get a fuckton of MW & legendary stuff and made the chase to find it moot, 'cause that's a big part of the fun of these things for us.

At the end of the day, the game's about loot. You win by getting the best. If there's a means to get the best in an efficient manner, it's well within the confines of the game to do that.
Sure, like farming heroic public events was at the start of Destiny 2. But that's at least engaging with the game and somewhat challenging, not just flying around from box to box and pressing the "receive loot" button.

This isn't the Bullet King and it's not really the Loot Cave.
Bullet King at least had you do a little work and required you to take care not to take down the crap. But this is directly comparable to the loot cave - zero effort, receive reward.

it is as much an RPG as Far Cry....seems like we are in a timeline where everything is an RPG, Anthem doesn´t even has a stats screen
But there are stats, and at least until one appears you can try stuff out and trial and error see how effective it is. Does far cry allow different classes and masses of customisation to create builds that play differently to each other? I haven't played one for a very long time.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
it is as much an RPG as Far Cry....seems like we are in a timeline where everything is an RPG, Anthem doesn´t even has a stats screen

The focus in anthem is your skills not shooting.
And playing around with weapon and skill stats is a big part of making your own build in Anthem. Yes a simple stat screen is needed and missing. But that is easily implemented and is coming post launch. (Why it's not in already is baffling though)

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that people on PC get to play this early and farm for easy loot with this exploit while everyone will have to do it the old fashioned way.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
To make matters worse, the stats themselves (inscriptions) are mostly bugged and don't benefit players. So builds right now aren't really going anywhere.
Just wait for the 22nd :P

It sucks that people on PC get to play this early and farm for easy loot with this exploit while everyone will have to do it the old fashioned way.
It sucks for them. They have no reason to play after a few days of that.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
When you think about it game is wholly balanced around idea of players being able to constantly spam COMBOs for damage. Those burst do such massive damage when compared to any firearm in the game or individual nuke skills. Even then enemy HP does get out of hand and normal red bar becomes Legendary Boss.

You are also unable to keep that COMBOtrain going because CD reduction is broken so at level 30 in full epics your primer takes same time to come from CD as it does on level 1 in all white gear. Meanwhile enemy HP and damage ramps up quite a bit.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
When you think about it game is wholly balanced around idea of players being able to constantly spam COMBOs for damage. Those burst do such massive damage when compared to any firearm in the game or individual nuke skills. Even then enemy HP does get out of hand and normal red bar becomes Legendary Boss.

You are also unable to keep that COMBOtrain going because CD reduction is broken so at level 30 in full epics your primer takes same time to come from CD as it does on level 1 in all white gear. Meanwhile enemy HP and damage ramps up quite a bit.

Yup, GM2 and GM3 are pointless to run until they fix inscriptions.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can go either way on the stats thing, destiny tries it's hardest to hide that stuff from the user. Anthem on the other hand list numbers but doesn't tell you what the bases are. Guess if you are going to give numbers go all the way.

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cfeimSK.png

Welcome Freelancers! The world of Anthem is about to open its doors to everyone with the Early Access on Feb 15 (3pm UTC / Feb 14) and the Worldwide Launch on Feb 22. Datajoy was supposed to be making and posting this OT but due to some issues it was passed to me so the OT could be posted 24hrs before the launch of the early access. So I took up the challenge of creating all the graphics and text within a fairly short window of time. Some of you may notice me from the Discussion or Demo thread (with Cornbread78 ), I also created the Ability Damage Chart people may have seen floating around. Big shoutout to Guillaume Onyeaghala for all the feedback on earlier versions of this OT too, helped make it what it is.

I had a blast designing this OT so I hope it is useful and informative to everyone new to the game as well as those already well versed in all things Anthem, I'll keep it up to date with information that we learn as time goes on.

FreelancERA Discord
For those looking for a link to the FreelancERA Discord, reply to this thread and you should see it below:
[Hidden content]

Story Spoilers
If you want to discuss the story of Anthem in this OT, please use the spoiler tags. Other game mechanics and loot can be shared and discussed openly, but story content should be discussed in spoiler tags.
[SPOILER="Anthem Story Spoiler"]You suit up in Javelin's[/SPOILER]

Which will turn into:
You suit up in Javelins.
OT Title
The title for this OT was chosen by the community via a poll in the pre-launch discussion thread as I felt it was a more fair option than me just picking one. The winning title 'GaaS Effect' was originally posted by panda-zebra - Congrats :)

Updates
I'll try to keep this OT updated if any information in it becomes outdated or if anything needs to be added after the game is updated and we get content drops. We're expecting the first content drop for Anthem in March, which is due to bring a new Stronghold, Rewards, Guilds, Missions and various Quality of Life updates too.

No matter if you're jumping into Anthem during the PC Early Access or 10 hour trial on PC and Xbox, or waiting for the worldwide launch on the 22nd February... I hope to see you all in the world of Anthem and safe flying out there everyone!

QHCYlYH.png

4noU8Fi.png

TXoUMTw.png

FvCExqp.png

UDT1D4W.png

XiM5F1L.png

wpxv3C2.png

m7fqVwD.png

lzDOwKx.png

OyOUHu6.png

Countdown to Worldwide Launch:[/SIZE][/B]
[US]
t1550811600z1.png

[UK]

t1550793600z0.png

If anyone wants to see some of the more active devs, who answer questions often and such; Lead Producer Ben Irving, Executive Producer Mark Darrah & Lead Producer Mike Gamble. They have been very transparent during the development of Anthem, during its Demo's and in the run up to launch.

vHOfNAT.png
Just here for the freelancer discord and awesome OT

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
It's pve. They are ruining the game for themselves. I don't even get why someone would do that in a strictly pve game with limited content.

Jan 20, 2019
The focus in anthem is your skills not shooting.
And playing around with weapon and skill stats is a big part of making your own build in Anthem. Yes a simple stat screen is needed and missing. But that is easily implemented and is coming post launch. (Why it's not in already is baffling though)

If the focus is on the skill's, then they did a terrible job.

The amount of skils you have is very little for a game like this. It needs more skills and it needs to let the player should what he wants to do, if i want to run 3 shields, i should be abble to do just that.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Was originally requesting a refund, but think I'm going to stick with it. I'm at the tomb challenges now, and have cleared 1 out of 4. My time is pretty much up for the EA Access 10 hour trial, so won't be playing much more until Friday. The only couple of items in the challenges I'm not looking forward to are the revives (there's just not enough players on the map to make this easy to get to), and the chests (it really should be fewer than 15).

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying parts of this game (combat and Storm abilities) and hating other parts (menus, loads, and useless map). The story stuff within the Fort is super weird. I'm curious if the dialogue choices are having any impact - it seems like there's a couple of minor subplots (the farming person) that your choices could possibly have an impact on, but I'm not sure if it's the illusion of choice and the same thing happens no matter what you reply.

I want to like this game a lot more than I am, but I have this bizarre curiosity on how the game progresses that makes it hard to turn away.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So none of my friends will be getting this, I'm still on board but is the story any good or engaging? Better than Destiny's and Division's? I'm interested and knowing that they'll keep updating it makes me want to commit.

I'm fully on Apex Legends for multiplayer so, I don't need that.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Was originally requesting a refund, but think I'm going to stick with it. I'm at the tomb challenges now, and have cleared 1 out of 4. My time is pretty much up for the EA Access 10 hour trial, so won't be playing much more until Friday. The only couple of items in the challenges I'm not looking forward to are the revives (there's just not enough players on the map to make this easy to get to), and the chests (it really should be fewer than 15).

They are tweeking the reqs on Friday so wouldn't be surprised if they lower the chest. Also fixing the chest so that if anyone on team loots it it counts. As for res, I must just get matched with awful players cause some of the later missions with big bosses I'm tripping over so many dead team mates.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that they've failed if the BIS items require a very small pool of perks, unless the goal is for cookie cutter builds only.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, every Javelin needs to have their flight duration doubled. For a game about flying, it's very limited now.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Yeah, they didn't think things through properly with that pool range.
i thought it was really strange in the demo

Anything can drop anything (Say hi to chest farm at GM3) so it also means that anything can roll anything from range 1 - 200. There is no limitations nor any sense or logic applied into this.

Loot and difficulty system is basically Diablo 3 or Division 1 Vanillas before some hard lessons. That BW did this is just mind boggling.