• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The soundtrack to this is pretty unbelievable. Not a type of game I'm interested in, but hooked to the soundtrack. Feel it would be in year-end discussions as some of the best of the medium if the game was better received than it seems like it will be.

Not in a year where the Ace Combat 7 soundtrack also hit!

It's pretty amazing though, but I find it a bit predictable at times.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
That tomb quest is supposedly retroactive, but there's a bug which makes the progress start from 0 for some people.

If it's working as intended, by the time you reach that quest you'd have probably completed most of the tasks. When I got the quest, I can immediately entered 2 of the 4 tombs because I've already completed the tasks before. And it only took me an hour or so to complete the rest of the tasks.
Yeah, I had a similar experience. I had to pop off a few world events, chest openings, and then played a couple of Strongholds to get my revives.
Still awful game design, but not in any way insurmountable even playing solo.

The disconnects from the game's servers are a bigger issue, I just got disconnected from a late game mission right near the end, and its beyond infuriating.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's there to introduce you to the different aspects of the game. Could it have been done better/slicker? Definitely, but if you think BioWare give the slightest of shits whether you get an hour or two more out of an EA access trial or not, well, nah...

Oh for sure, but I'd hazard to guess that most people who play games like this finish the story and then rarely stick around for the endgame. I don't think they'd want people completing the story during the trial 10 hours and dropping it straight after, so effectively "gated off" the later missions by putting in an unnecessary grind in hopes you'll buy the full experience.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The soundtrack to this is pretty unbelievable. Not a type of game I'm interested in, but hooked to the soundtrack. Feel it would be in year-end discussions as some of the best of the medium if the game was better received than it seems like it will be.
What!?!?
I barely even hear any music in this game at all. Nothing about it stands out. Can you link to some vids of examples because I'm really curious to know where you're coming from.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That Tomb Quest sounds terrible. I hope it doesn't ruin the game or stop solo progression from being possible.
It's not at all. Anyone spending 4 hours or more on that set of challenges, even if they hit the bug where no previous progress in them counted, I just can't see what they're doing, it's bizarre. The game is just telling you "go do these things that you do in the game anyway, explore the world a bit", but the way they communicated that was pretty crap, it could have been a lot slicker.

Put game on solo, pick up little side missions in Tarsis, go do them and have fun. An hour or so later you've got a load of the stuff crossed off without even trying... then go do a freeplay session and mop up... certainly not making pen and paper lists and ticking stuff off like some said, lol. The chests one is maybe the worst problem... but with endgame in its current state, you could argue it is getting you in the mood for GM3 chest farming runs tee hee.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Sorry if these points have already been covered, I'm just trying to avoid spoilers so haven't read much of this thread:
- Approx. how long is the campaign? What about including side content?
- How is the story (especially relative to Destiny/Destiny 2 and The Division)?
- How well does the game work solo?

There's going to be some drastically different opinions on these questions.
Campaign is anywhere between 10-20 hours.
Story is better than Destinys but not by much.
Game doesn't work well solo at all. Even the mission structure has multiplayer in mind and a lot of things you have to do take far too long for no good reason when playing solo.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't played the game. Just listening to the soundtrack.

I think the sound design is just god awful in this game. I skipped around that vid and it sounds good, but I'd be hard pressed to remember any of it in my 20 hours of play time.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

sarah schachner does amazing work. asscreed origins would have been my top score of 2017 if it wasn't for nier

Bluesparrow

Nov 12, 2017
As someone who really enjoyed my time with vanilla destiny i have to say i'm enjoying this game quite a bit.
It feels much like the simple pleasures of destiny which had a solid foundation and just gave you a lot of things to shoot and it felt fun while you were doing it. (opinions may vary of course)

It does however feel like 2 games smacked into one which is it's biggest fault. There's the shoot things open world mission part.
And the Hub word talk to characters BioWare part, and honestly they don't mix well in this case. And one is done A LOT better than the other.

I wish there was a little less story cause it's just so criminally average and stopping me in my tracks in the middle of a mission to give me a 5 minute cutscene isn't really what i want out of a game like this, or any game really.
Some of the characters are surprisingly well done with some really great voice work, so that kind of helps in case of story terms.

I hope once the campaign is finished i can stop with the talking to all the characters in the fort after every mission. But from what i've read endgame is thin right now. But i'm still hopeful.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Game doesn't work well solo at all. Even the mission structure has multiplayer in mind and a lot of things you have to do take far too long for no good reason when playing solo.
I disagree here, but I get that some of the things I enjoy in the game are different than most.

I find the challenge and feeling of me vs the world in solo far more engaging than co-op or playing with randoms, but it works best as Storm. Solo lets me take time to interact in Tarsis and go explore the world at my own pace. Missions feel as tough and tense as the dialogue wants it to be. Playing with randoms is just asking for the story to get broken and bypassed, play in a more organised squad and sometimes the dialogue can't even keep up with the pace that tasks are getting rinsed at.

Just exploring all the nooks and crannies of the world, finding the hidden areas, collecting the little codex thingies, taking the time to be in the world and see it - I like all this stuff, so for me the game works best in solo at this stage. When I'm level 30 and want to go hunting for gear (and hopefully not just open chest after cheat in free play) I'll be making it as hard as possible and teaming up again to playing the stuff that needs team coordination.

As someone who really enjoyed my time with vanilla destiny i have to say i'm enjoying this game quite a bit.
It feels much like the simple pleasures of destiny which had a solid foundation and just gave you a lot of things to shoot and it felt fun while you were doing it. (opinions may vary of course)
Vanilla Destiny was my favourite Destiny for just those reasons.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Sorry if these points have already been covered, I'm just trying to avoid spoilers so haven't read much of this thread:
- Approx. how long is the campaign? What about including side content?
- How is the story (especially relative to Destiny/Destiny 2 and The Division)?
- How well does the game work solo?

According to Origin, I put 24 hours in.... and I haven`t finished it yet.
But I´m taking my time, I do every side quest and talk to every NPC possible.

In its core, the story is a pretty traditional fantasy-sci fi-plot but there are some interesting ideas. Biggest difference for me is, that it´s presented way better compared to the other looter-games imo. Talking to NPC´s gives you a sense for the world, cutscenes are epic and there`s a lot of lore.
For the first time in a looter, I actually find the lore to be interesting and care about the characters.

I think the game works fine solo and I found freeplay to be much more entertaining this way.
For me the best was to play is solo, so I don`t have to rush the hub area-stuff, but I mostly choose coop with randoms for the missions.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not at all. Anyone spending 4 hours or more on that set of challenges, even if they hit the bug where no previous progress in them counted, I just can't see what they're doing, it's bizarre. The game is just telling you "go do these things that you do in the game anyway, explore the world a bit", but the way they communicated that was pretty crap, it could have been a lot slicker.

Put game on solo, pick up little side missions in Tarsis, go do them and have fun. An hour or so later you've got a load of the stuff crossed off without even trying... then go do a freeplay session and mop up... certainly not making pen and paper lists and ticking stuff off like some said, lol. The chests one is maybe the worst problem... but with endgame in its current state, you could argue it is getting you in the mood for GM3 chest farming runs tee hee.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm not one to make lots of extra effort in these games yet it was really easy to complete. The chests too, so many of those around. I only struggled with the "repair 3 freelancers" bit since no one was dying. However, play a Stronghold mission and they drop like flies :).

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel exactly the same way. I'm not one to make lots of extra effort in these games yet it was really easy to complete. The chests too, so many of those around. I only struggled with the "repair 3 freelancers" bit since no one was dying. However, play a Stronghold mission and they drop like flies :).
hah yes, I just revived sentinels, those guys are always going down - at least they say thank you which is more than you get with randoms :)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The repair objective was actually really easy - I played a mission on Hard mode and just did nothing while my teammates got wounded. Healed 3 times in about 5 minutes then quit the mission lmao

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Endless loading screen after Fortress of Dawn (which was a bad fight)...

Edit: did finally load... and the first line was "you are back, that was fast" hah

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Its definitely some missions, I had only done 30 mins of free play, but most of my tombs were filled in.

My best guess is that the open world parts of missions count, but not the cutoff instanced areas. That said, someone above got their revives in a stronghold mission.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I disagree here, but I get that some of the things I enjoy in the game are different than most.

I find the challenge and feeling of me vs the world in solo far more engaging than co-op or playing with randoms, but it works best as Storm. Solo lets me take time to interact in Tarsis and go explore the world at my own pace. Missions feel as tough and tense as the dialogue wants it to be. Playing with randoms is just asking for the story to get broken and bypassed, play in a more organised squad and sometimes the dialogue can't even keep up with the pace that tasks are getting rinsed at.

Just exploring all the nooks and crannies of the world, finding the hidden areas, collecting the little codex thingies, taking the time to be in the world and see it - I like all this stuff, so for me the game works best in solo at this stage. When I'm level 30 and want to go hunting for gear (and hopefully not just open chest after cheat in free play) I'll be making it as hard as possible and teaming up again to playing the stuff that needs team coordination.

If you like playing at your own pace that's all well and good. But how do you feel about dying and having to respawn at a check point without anyone being able to revive you in many of the battles? Or having to pick up 6 pieces of crystal and bring them back to a spot all on your own without flight? Or finding 12 orbs all on your own in very far off locations? These missions happen frequently enough to be really poor for solo play. They're meant for multiplayer and they aren't even tweaked when you have fewer members. The games free play and strong holds even force you to play multiplayer. You can't launch those solo at all. I totally get you like to stop and smell the roses, but the game is not designed around that at all. Even if you were trying to do that in free play nothing's stopping a random player from barging in and following you around.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Can you do it in missions rather than freeplay? I heard they only counted in freeplay?
You can do almost all the Tomb quest in any mission you want. It's just that free play offers things like world events to trigger which you need to beat 5 of.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree hard. Guns feel mediocre yes, but the skills is where its at. This is an rpg at its core and not a shooter.
Once you actually start using skills and flying together with your friends you get very satisfying combat. If you treat this game like destiny it will seem bad to you.
And I like that it doesnt explain everything. Let players discover the depth of the sytems themselves.

If it's an RPG, I should have more skills, if anything.

maverick261

Nov 1, 2017
Guys, i have questions about the tomb trials.
It's possible to do the trials in normal missions/expeditions?

I have played a lot of missions but the progress in the menu under trials is overall 0/1, 0/3 and so on.
For example: Complete a mission 0/1. Why? I have completed more missions.
Bug or normal?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, i have questions about the tomb trials.
It's possible to do the trials in normal missions/expeditions?

I have played a lot of missions but the progress in the menu under trials is overall 0/1, 0/3 and so on.
For example: Complete a mission 0/1. Why? I have completed more missions.
Bug or normal?

Aside from World Events challenge you can do them anywhere you want. Your progress being 0 means you've got the bug so you will have to do it all again :(

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Personally, the start of a game ie the early launch stuff, never really bothers me. It's more about the support afterwards that makes me keep playing. I enjoyed Destiny but a very slow drip of content I was actually interested in, put me off. As did the crazy prices of extra content that often proved lackluster.

Diablo 3 launched in a terrible state with a laughable amount of content. Yet, after time and updates, I keep going back for my loot fix.

I hope Bioware and EA doubledown on Anthem and keep pushing to improve. Sure many are not willing to wait for updates etc because they have paid now and want to play now, not in six months time.

Maybe it's because I am more optimistic or that I have sat through many, many games that launch poor and get better. Or I have a Slight addiction to loot games, so I will play anything haha.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Can someone explain to me how looting works? It seems like you just get randomly assigned loot at the end of each mission...

I have yet to see something drop, or to loot a chest or get boss loot.... really makes the rewards feel shitty and not special at all to me that way.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If it's an RPG, I should have more skills, if anything.

It's 100% my fault for expecting too much but after the first beta I kinda thought abilities being drops meant an element + skill type combination system. So stuff like Frozen Orbs (Storm) or Burning Dash (Interceptor) being alternate drops for example. Even if they were just visual changes it would add some variety.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I keep seeing this impression but I don't understand it. It's the same thing seen with the demos with "it's a 6 week old build".

There's no way that the day 1 patch makes an extremely fundamental difference. At best, the load times go from 2 minutes to 1 min 50 seconds with the patch.

This game has been in development for over 5 years. If fundamental issues with the game couldn't be fixed in years, they won't be fixed in days.

this 100%

it was already highly ridiculous when people kept regurgitating the marketing departments "it is an old build!" stuff, now it is "the day one patch is still out!"

i am asking myself if this is desperation, clutching at straws, naivity or pure delusion at this point...for anyone playing longer than a few years it was more than obvious that there is a train incoming at high speed driving straight into a wall...why people opted to believe the marketing department instead of user experience, well, i don´t know...

people are really setting themselves up for even more disappointment if they think there will be a magical 180 on friday...