• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been paying too much attention to the game this week but I've seen nothing but negativity from friends on Facebook and Twitter.

In my opinion, it tries for the same sci fi loot shooter as destiny, but destiny does everything better (except you can fly in this and that's pretty cool).

They should have gone for a completely different approach, similar to the division. If your going to mimic destiny, you need to improve on its faults, not do a worse job.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Datto going on a pretty fair rant right now. His impressions video will not be kind. I agree that early access for this game was a mistake w/o the Day 1 patch.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
In my opinion, it tries for the same sci fi loot shooter as destiny, but destiny does everything better (except you can fly in this and that's pretty cool).

They should have gone for a completely different approach, similar to the division. If your going to mimic destiny, you need to improve on its faults, not do a worse job.

As a huge Destiny fan, I can push through a game when it is in a bad place.

But I hated the Anthem demo. Aside from running like complete crap on PS4 Pro, the shooting was boring and had no impact. With something like Destiny, the game always feels so damn good, I can look past periods where it is lacking in content.

This just didn't feel good at all.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Datto going on a pretty fair rant right now. His impressions video will not be kind. I agree that early access for this game was a mistake w/o the Day 1 patch.

I keep seeing this impression but I don't understand it. It's the same thing seen with the demos with "it's a 6 week old build".

There's no way that the day 1 patch makes an extremely fundamental difference. At best, the load times go from 2 minutes to 1 min 50 seconds with the patch.

This game has been in development for over 5 years. If fundamental issues with the game couldn't be fixed in years, they won't be fixed in days.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game has a serviceable amount of endgame content. The screenshot of the trials isn't representative of all the end game quests that open up.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is just stunning. It's the first game that really looks and feels 'next gen' for me. Some of the particle effects and lighting are jaw dropping!

I believe it's going to get Ray Tracing support for RTX cards? That will blow my mind.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I mean, it's out in a month. At this stage it must be in final testing, and the design should have been locked in a long time ago. Also, they are explicitly not using the word raid in any of their communications, and have told partnered streamers to not use the word raid.

I don't think it will be out in a month. Act 1 "starts in March". Cataclysm is at the end of a few phases. Could be April or May.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the rubber banding still persists after the day 1, imma go inside my Xbox and beat the fuck out of this game digitally.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for BioWare. This game feels rushed out the door and it's going to cost them dearly.

That's what's so frustrating about it. It feels rushed but it clearly isn't. This has had such an enormous development time.

This is similar to many games recently released. They feel rushed and loaded with issues and incomplete (this, fallout 76, final fantasy Xv, sea of thieves, record, crackdown 3, mass effect andromeda, and many others).

It's the current state of games. So much is expected and just getting the game to this state takes years of work due to the graphics and engine requirements. The days of amazing fully fleshed games releasing every year (final fantasy 7/8/9, resident Evil 1/2/3) are gone.

The bigger issue with anthem is that EA has released a game that feels much more compete with less issues a week ago that is completely free to play (apex legends) and will completely still the thunder of anthem.

Thankfully I was able to play this through ea access and didn't waste $60 on it.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Was not a fan of the first stronghold. Water is not fun, and playing with randoms and needing 3/4 to find an entrance is even worse. Everything else about it was a lot of fun though.

I still think the best part of this game is the contract missions and combat in general.

Also, the story being told by various characters in Tarsis is better than I expected. It's slowly filling in details about the world.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I still think the best part of this game is the contract missions and combat in general.

Also, the story being told by various characters in Tarsis is better than I expected. It's slowly filling in details about the world.
Yeah, pretty much this. Doing contracts and agent quests are enjoyable because of the characters and story associated with them.

I love the characters and how they develop as we help and get to know them better. They also give us lots of insights about the lore and history of everything.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's sad that a flagship Bioware game was released after several years in development and I want to skip through every dialogue option and cutscene.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I still see tons of people online saying they love the game and can't get enough of it...?

People did the same exact thing with vanilla D2. Then a week went by and people realized that they did everything there was to do.

Not saying they're the same, but public opinion can turn QUICK and I'm almost certain it'll happen with Anthem too until updates come in.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If anyone wants the chest farm route for MW/legendary gear:

Stack + luck items, farm chests on GM3, profit.
Lol that's exactly what I expected.

Here's how it works:
In free roam, there are chests that have designated locations. There's a route you can set for yourself based on the image or find on youtube. After you opened them all, just stop exploring from free roam, get your loot, and start again right away. The chests will respawn on each session. Tbf, the chests are distributed for 4 players on the map, so not every chest is yours. But I can see why this is the most effective way to farm at endgame.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the primary concerns for the game at launch .. just end game content?
I have a lot of love for Bioware, really enjoyed their past games .. but not recently. Wonder if I will enjoy this.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So what are the primary concerns for the game at launch .. just end game content?
I have a lot of love for Bioware, really enjoyed their past games .. but not recently. Wonder if I will enjoy this.
Loading screens and bugs. Loading screens might single-handedly kill this game, because the game revolves around moving from one place to another, with a loading screen inbetween.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lol that's exactly what I expected.

Here's how it works:
In free roam, there are chests that have designated locations. There's a route you can set for yourself based on the image or find on youtube. After you opened them all, just stop exploring from free roam, get your loot, and start again right away. The chests will respawn on each session. Tbf, the chests are distributed for 4 players on the map, so not every chest is yours. But I can see why this is the most effective way to farm at endgame.

Yeah so you load in with 4 players and have all the chests to yourself..

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost finished my ea basic trial of the game and I think I'm good. I actually really like the moment to moment gameplay on pc as an interceptor, but it just feels kind of like it'll be much better in six months. I'd rather just wait until they iron out the bugs that are really harming my fun. The price drop won't hurt either.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, think I'm going to cancel my preorder. I'll wait for reviews of division 2 and devil may cry and pick up one of those instead. This game sounds like it's garbage.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Wait, so just to be clear - instead of doing missions or Strongholds for loot, people are just looting chests in free play over and over again?

There's no point in doing anything at GM2 or GM3, the drop rates are not worth going through overpowered bullet sponges to get the same item you can get from GM1.
It seems there was a chance at getting cosmetics items from GM3 but that has not been confirmed so far.

Can't wait for the complains from randoms who want to complete a stronghold but people keep leaving cause it's more efficient.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is breaking my heart. I love BioWare. I even managed to eke out a lot of fun in Andromeda. And I don't hate DA2 or Inquisition the way many of you seem to (some of it justified). And while I hated the ending of ME3, the trilogy as a whole still ranks amongst my favorite all time. This just sounds like an utter mess. I was in the Alpha but it was so limited it didn't paint a big enough picture - had fun though. The beta was a little less enjoyable, but still had neat things going on. I suppose I'll still enjoy the final game but it doesn't seem like it's a BioWare title. EA is destroying the soul of my favorite company.

It hurts man, it hurts.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So, I played for a few hours (apparently more than five), and I have to say that my experience, as a whole, is a lot better than my experience with both demos, and from a lot of people in this thread.

The loading screens take less time, especially to enter the forge from the javelin (in Tarsis). It seems to be less than five seconds.

BW seem to have increased the time that you can fly before overheating - I'd say roughly by five seconds.

The menu system, while still a mess, appears to be a lot cleaner. I still hate that you can't launch a mission from the actual map, but I guess it's to help make sure you have everything else set the way you want, e.g. consumables, difficulty level etc.

I got a new sniper rifle, not the dead eye, or the other one that was in the demo. This one you have to aim and wait for it to charge up, but it doesn't fire automatically once charged, which is great imo. And it's powerful.

There are still some issues for me though:

I refuse to play on easy, even though it's the level I should play if I want to solo. It feels like they've increased the didficulty of "normal" since the demo. It's not game changing, but I definitely have to be more strategic, well as an Interceptor anyway.

Like I said earlier, BW seems to have nerfed the Interceptor's Plasma Star. Even though I'm only level 4 or something, I'm assuming that enemies are at a similar level. In the demos, I could one shot enemies without shields, with a "common" Plasma Star, but not now. Could be related to my belief of BW increasing the difficulty in "normal".

I know most people prefer the Venom Bomb, but I can't stand it, and so far, the only drops I'm getting are venom bombs. Give me a goddamn Cryo Glaive.

This may sound petty, but why the hell is "new" missing from "wear state"? Have BW actually gated it behind higher levels or something?

BW seem to have some really bad mission design choices. E.g., in the first mission, at the end just before that massive wampa type creature comes for you, you have to fly through this tunnel with blue mini electrical tornadoes or something, and if you get hit by a few, you overheat. That's fine, but why make me restart from that checkpoint? Let me carry on overheated, just like I do of I overheat when flying. It makes absolutely no sense to force me to restart from the checkpoint.

I've been given like four or five missions, but honestly don't know which is the main mission, and which are the side missions. Are Yarrow's missions the side ones, and the Admiral lady's the main ones?

I also seem to be suffering from either some weird lag, or some of my button presses aren't being registered by the game. E.g. during melee, my javelin suddenly stops meleeing for no reason, and sometimes when I hit "A" to jump, nothing happens.

Evem though I can travel anywhere I want now in freeplay, a few times I got the message that if I don't return to the area with my team, I'll be transported there. What fucking team? I'm the only person on the fucking server?!?

Also, am I meant to destroy those balls in the centre of the mini electrical storms in freeplay? Can I even destroy them? I get them down to around 10% health, and then they disappear for a few seconds, and then reappear, but with less health. Just another thing that BW hasn't bothered explaining in-game.

I also seem to have a coin bug. I did one mission, and got 14,000 coins. Then I did freeplay, and got 16,000 coins. My overall number of coins are currently 16,000. What the hell happened to other other 14,000? Am I being charged rent on my javelin or something?

Also, who are the Dominion? I get that they're the big bad, but I don't remember the game telling me exactly who they are? Will I come across Captain Sisko too?

I think I'll use up my remaining trial and then decide whether to keep my preorder or not. I want to try a stronghold, but I feel like I'll be horribly underlevelled until I reach level 10, for some reason...

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
This is breaking my heart. I love BioWare. I even managed to eke out a lot of fun in Andromeda. And I don't hate DA2 or Inquisition the way many of you seem to (some of it justified). And while I hated the ending of ME3, the trilogy as a whole still ranks amongst my favorite all time. This just sounds like an utter mess. I was in the Alpha but it was so limited it didn't paint a big enough picture - had fun though. The beta was a little less enjoyable, but still had neat things going on. I suppose I'll still enjoy the final game but it doesn't seem like it's a BioWare title. EA is destroying the soul of my favorite company.

It hurts man, it hurts.

This is basically how I feel. I really wanted this to be a return to greatness for BioWare...I still hope that it can be patched up though.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
the chest farm isn't so damaging though because there is no PvP, i don't think Bioware will patch it unless they change that quest to open chest

btw this farm was known during the demo

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Wait is the day 1 patch supposed to be like a huge thing? I thought we were already on it.

Yes. The Day 1 patch is basically going to make or break the early life of this game. A lot of the issues people are complaining about in early access are supposedly fixed in the Day 1 patch. We're not on it yet. It doesn't drop until the general release on the 22nd.

Yes, while he was streaming earlier this evening.