• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I finally built a javelin to surpass Metal Gear, a Storm with four arms and four legs, there will be fireballs for days

on8Sx6L.jpg
My god..

1445652483459.gif

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When loading into their javelin, does anyone have the javelin actually rotate correctly?

I have a javelin stay still and a new javelin appear and rotate into that one, which is clearly a bug. But since I had the same thing in the alpha and both demos I assume everyone has it.

Nov 2, 2017
For fucks sake, I got trapped in the Launch bay. Couldn't start an expedition or leave. And I got the 'spawn on the other side of a locked door' bug. This is just .... really unfortunate.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
When loading into their javelin, does anyone have the javelin actually rotate correctly?

I have a javelin stay still and a new javelin appear and rotate into that one, which is clearly a bug. But since I had the same thing in the alpha and both demos I assume everyone has it.

I see it rotate incorrectly (as you described) more often than not.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see it rotate incorrectly (as you described) more often than not.

I legitimately have not seen it rotate correctly once across any platform or any play session. And I'm currently 15 hours into the final game.

It's insane that they thought that was fine. But I guess it's indicative of the entire game. An in game motion you will see over and over is completely bugged out, but Bioware doesn't fix it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Its probably my fault for having played for 5 hours solo but man those shield guys suck. I try to jump behind them and shoot them in the back but then instantly turn.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
I had fun with the Alpha but haven't preordered yet, I'm thinking of getting it partially for Bioware loyalty and mostly for how Bionicle-y the game looks.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
it's crazy for an rpg there is no character stat sheet screen or is it coming Day 1 Patch

No word on it or when its set to arrive.

Honestly, as a former EA dev who has shipped games on Frostbite, there are quite a few conclusions I can draw just seeing the results showcased here in the last couple of weeks regarding Anthem. And while i'm hoping that they manage to right this ship, I can't help but wonder just how many of these issues are going to wind up being impossible to fix due to the streaming tech inherent in Frostbite.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Does the 10 hour trial lock you off at a certain point in the critical path? The story so far feels like total guff so I may just try blasting through as much as I can while skipping the cutscenes to see if I can polish off the main missions before launch.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
They need to not be vague about the Cataclysm or people are going to start building it up to be something it's not and set themselves up for more disappointment.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does the 10 hour trial lock you off at a certain point in the critical path? The story so far feels like total guff so I may just try blasting through as much as I can while skipping the cutscenes to see if I can polish off the main missions before launch.

No. I played the entire 10 hours and was never locked off from the story. I also played the entire 10 hours and can't tell you what the story is.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How are people supposed to review this ?

If they delay the review to wait for the patch post release then the review isnt out for people to read before the release... ?

But if they review a broken game unpatched then obviously it's going to hell ?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, as a former EA dev who has shipped games on Frostbite, there are quite a few conclusions I can draw just seeing the results showcased here in the last couple of weeks regarding Anthem. And while i'm hoping that they manage to right this ship, I can't help but wonder just how many of these issues are going to wind up being impossible to fix due to the streaming tech inherent in Frostbite.

but didn't Andromeda have it? the character stat sheet

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Im not sure if you have played Anthem, but do you believe the reason Fort Tarsis is how it is its because of the engine? That part of the game is so disjointed from everything else I dont think It can be fixed.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
but didn't Andromeda have it? the character stat sheet

Frostbite is a fickle creature - a Frostbite game I shipped had to hard launch into another frostbite game in order to use tech/assets that another studio had been working on for us.

The tech developed at a studio utilizing frostbite can seldom be exchanged with another studio's customized version of it.

Its a nightmare engine, in all honesty.

Im not sure if you have played Anthem, but do you believe the reason Fort Tarsis is how it is its because of the engine? That part of the game is so disjointed from everything else I dont think It can be fixed.

I have played Anthem. The way Tarsis is setup is likely a technical issue related to the engine & its streaming tech. They are load screens in Tarsis to load into what would be an ordinary menu in any other looter-shooter - there is no one at BW actively choosing poor design decisions. These are all related to technical limitations.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I felt this way during the VIP demo but don't think I mentioned it - this has to have the worst UI I have seen since Medal of Honor: Warfighter. So many useless tiles and banners...
No. I played the entire 10 hours and was never locked off from the story. I also played the entire 10 hours and can't tell you what the story is.
Well that's nice to know considering I've been habitually holding B to skip past every last cutscene thrown at me.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Frostbite is a fickle creature - a Frostbite game I shipped had to hard launch into another frostbite game in order to use tech/assets that another studio had been working on for us.

The tech developed at a studio utilizing frostbite can seldom be exchanged with another studio's customized version of it.

damn, thanks for the insight, looks like some of the problems in Anthem may never be fixed

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT

One of the mere three Strongholds is literally the final mission of the game again. Man oh man this game.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

I have played Anthem. The way Tarsis is setup is likely a technical issue related to the engine & its streaming tech. They are load screens in Tarsis to load into what would be an ordinary menu in any other looter-shooter - there is no one at BW actively choosing poor design decisions. These are all related to technical limitations.
But didn't bioware choose frostbite?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking the Acid Darts + Sticky Grenade combo for Ranger. Fast combo setups with decent damage up close with the Vengeance shotgun (2-shot).

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America

I find that quote from that interview perplexing.

I was at EA when the mandate came down from up on high that every studio under EA had to transition over to Frostbite, and there was nothing seemingly optional about it, but i'm sure individual studios might've been given a choice of 'you're no longer allowed to use engine's that have license fees associated with them', and maybe BW choose Frostbite given that criteria?

I was at EA, not BW, so I can't say whether or not they ultimately chose Frostbite, but I do know that lots of projects literally had to be completely retooled and rebuilt in order to meet that mandate in its first year, and it was never presented as optional.

Nov 14, 2017
They actually did say it'll be a Raid-like in their dev livestream. They're calling it "Aspirational Content" though. They aren't ready to talk about it as I imagine it's still in development.

For now I don't want to hear about raids or future content. I want to hear about bug fixes and performance improvements.
I mean, it's out in a month. At this stage it must be in final testing, and the design should have been locked in a long time ago. Also, they are explicitly not using the word raid in any of their communications, and have told partnered streamers to not use the word raid.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

Wouldn't doubt if it was EA forced. Most technical stuff is due to frostbite not being designed for open world RPGs. I don't want to know how much work had to be put in to get this shit to work. Especially after all the interviews that came out about how mass effect Andromeda was an absolute pain in the ass to make on the frostbite engine

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Remember when everyone used to be so excited when they saw the frostbite logo and now we just know it means the developer went through bullshit just to get their game to work.

Frostbite only works for battlefield style games and it has shown why. DICE are masters of their engine and the toolset seems so limited in scope.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I find that quote from that interview perplexing.

I was at EA when the mandate came down from up on high that every studio under EA had to transition over to Frostbite, and there was nothing seemingly optional about it, but i'm sure individual studios might've been given a choice of 'you're no longer allowed to use engine's that have license fees associated with them', and maybe BW choose Frostbite given that criteria?

I was at EA, not BW, so I can't say whether or not they ultimately chose Frostbite, but I do know that lots of projects literally had to be completely retooled and rebuilt in order to meet that mandate in its first year, and it was never presented as optional.
I'm curious, was ue4 free at this time when you were there?

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Well I have beaten the campaign and done the ""three"" strongholds. What an absolutely staggering mess of a video game. There are so many design flaws big and small all over the game, combined with technical issues. It is not a good single player, story driven game at all, it is not a good loot game. The flying is fun but you are constantly overheating. The powers are fun but combat legibility is garbage due to the truly overwhelming number of particle effects used constantly. Guns feel completely arbitrary. I am kind of astonished at how much they fucked this up. It's especially frustrating since there are promising aspects and times where it is genuinely fun, but I don't think I went 5 minutes without being utterly annoyed by something.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just when I think things can't get any worse, I get an underwater mission.

I don't know what they were thinking with this. I can't think of any way they could've made it worse. Terrible controls + almost complete darkness = fun, right?

It's so frustrating. Bioware game releases used to be an event for me. The baldurs gate games, KOTOR, mass effect 1-3 and dragon age 1 were all amazing. But after dragon age 2/3, mass effect andromeda and now this, not anymore.

I heard the awful reviews for andromeda but figured I loved Bioware so much I'd still enjoy it. I was wrong. I heard the awful impressions for this and saw them first hand myself, but figured the entire game would be better. Somehow it was worse.

If this game gets reviews in the 70s I'll be shocked. I had more fun with crackdown 3 this weekend than with anthem.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I legitimately have not seen it rotate correctly once across any platform or any play session. And I'm currently 15 hours into the final game.

It's insane that they thought that was fine. But I guess it's indicative of the entire game. An in game motion you will see over and over is completely bugged out, but Bioware doesn't fix it.
"Its all in the day 1 patch"

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Final build is really not inspiring much confidence in me. I enjoy the combat and it sure is pretty, that's about all I got. UI is a disaster, story is nonsense, performance is still spotty on the One X and every environment feels like a toss up between dark cave or lush forest and I can't even begin to understand what the hell is going on half the time in the missions other than "hold X to do ____, defend area, move to next area, repeat."

Not sure I can stomach a $60 purchase.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Well I have beaten the campaign and done the ""three"" strongholds. What an absolutely staggering mess of a video game. There are so many design flaws big and small all over the game, combined with technical issues. It is not a good single player, story driven game at all, it is not a good loot game. The flying is fun but you are constantly overheating. The powers are fun but combat legibility is garbage due to the truly overwhelming number of particle effects used constantly. Guns feel completely arbitrary. I am kind of astonished at how much they fucked this up. It's especially frustrating since there are promising aspects and times where it is genuinely fun, but I don't think I went 5 minutes without being utterly annoyed by something.

so do you think this is a 6 year in development game?

Nov 2, 2017
Masterwork drop rate has picked up a bit at 30. Still seeing these completely useless or inscrutable bonuses on masterwork weapons really sucks the life out of them. If there's not a way to reroll the attributes on these things, I think I'm done.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The too far away from team load system is such a terrible implementation.

I can be 2 seconds away from teammates and I'll be forced to join them and get a 2 minute loading screen.

I can do a stronghold and literally be separated from teammates by a door that is impossible to open and I won't get any loading screen.

What a mess.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
so do you think this is a 6 year in development game?

It's so bizarre. There are so many glaringly obvious fundamental design quirks or problems in addition to a pitiful amount of day 1 content. They surely know about all the design problems, how they came to be in the first place is beyond me though.

I really, really, REALLY hope we get some good reports about what happened with this game because it is truly fascinating how much of a mess it is.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And finished. I enjoyed the campaign overall. I wouldn't say it was up to the standard Bioware has previously set, but it was serviceable and I liked most of the characters and their interactions. Luckily I encountered far fewer bugs than most have reported. I had several disconnections, but only one mid-mission that forced me to repeat it (and the loot was saved thankfully so I didn't lose my legendary).

My biggest gripe is the way they handled story missions in co-op. They should have forced players to sit at the spawn and not started any mission dialogue until every player was fully loaded. It would annoy some players, but on a first run through of the story I don't really care. Let them do what they want in quickplay for all I care, but don't exclude players because their hardware is inferior when going through the campaign.