• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
But at least BW could come out and say, "yes we know that x,y and z are issues, but the patch coming on the 22nd will fix them", or "we're aware of x,y and z, but and are still working on fixing them". Anything to show that they are aware of the issues, and have fixed them, or they will be fixed, but not by launch etc? I know not everything is fixed, or can be fixed straight away, but at least be transparent; people didn't get the game for free, and are at least entitled to know that the devs are sympathetic and are working on fixing them, and if they've been fixed, then why they haven't been patched yet (even if it's like you said, and it's still waiting certification)...

They have come out and said some of the stuff is fixed specially the audio bug and fixes to the trials mission.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The extent of how this game was not tested before launch (I am giving the benefit of the doubt here and going forward Im just going to assume EA told Bioware to pack up what they had and release the game in any state it was in).

1- I started a stronghold, It went well until the last part, where it would trigger the boss to end the mission.
2- The boss didnt trigger, making progress impossible. I gave the idea to the squad of dying in the lava so maybe it would reset things and progress the mission.
3- After some minutes waiting for the lava to kill us, the progress reset and the boss appeared, but two of the squadmates were gone. Disconnected or they quit, I will never know.
4- The boss appeared and me and the other guy/girl started damaging it. After 5 minutes using ults and skills (We were destroying the mobs earlier) the boss health bar didnt even moved a pixel. I think it scaled to 4 people, or it was just invincible. We tried for some minutes more, but even with all the skills and ults it didnt even make a deant. Like, the bar didnt even move.
5- We decided to quit, forgoing all the xp rewards we got until then.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The story feels very tired to me. We get a bunch of jargon thrown at us for a masked bad guy chasing a sci fi macgufiin story. I played this in destiny 2 already and it was boring then too.

I hope it gets better but 6 hours in and i'm bored.

What you're talking about here is the loose skeleton of the story arc. Which was never going to be a unique thing to begin with. The story isn't in the outline, it's in the dialogue. It's in the moment to moment. And in those areas, I feel Bioware has done fairly well. It isn't groundbreaking or award winning but it's better than the vast majority of story in video games.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. No real reason why they couldn't?

I'm quite sure the day one patch is still a work in progress. The game launched way too early because the financial calendar, can't see any other reason to have this bugged version available in open beta and to reviewers who will assassinate Anthem metacritic score.

It's the dumbest launch I ever witnessed.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Going to try to unlock Storm now. Hopefully I can take some good screenshots of how my Interceptor looks.

JediTimeBoy Have you checked Twitter and Reddit? Because they have.

To be honest, no I haven't, but I will now, thanks!
They have come out and said some of the stuff is fixed specially the audio bug and fixes to the trials mission.

I'm more concerned about knowing whether the long and frequent loading screens are going to be fixed, or whether we're stuck with them. Also about whether getting stuck away from a group, has been fixed. But thank you for telling me that they have given some feedback.

I'm sorry if I sound whiny or anything, it's just that I was really looking forwards to playing this game. Going to start my 120 hour trial now, and see if I'm going to keep my preorder...

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game would be less miserable to play if the loading screens were quicker, but that wouldn't solve the core problem with the design. I think the game is fundamentally disjointed and flawed from a design standpoint and there's no easy/quick fix. It was designed to be a single player story game and a multiplayer loot shooter and it just completely falls on its face in both regards because it's trying to be both. There shouldn't be a first person town mode at all. I can not figure out why on earth they thought this was a good idea. If the writing/story was good and the loading screens were tiny and you didn't move in hyper slow motion that would all help the game be less of a chore, but it'd still have the fundamental problems. I am skeptical this game will be good any time soon or ever.

I can not understand how they fucked this up so bad, because it's not complicated. Making an MP loot shooter isn't that hard to figure out. Lots of games have done it. I don't know how you mess it up this bad.

I realize that's subjective and some people like it as it is now. Just giving my 2 cents

The first person town really confuses me, it's a terrible design decision and actively makes the game worse. I'm not sure in what way they thought it would be good, I certai l'y can't work it out.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Man the story and characters fall into almost every pitfall of generic fantasy/sci-fi media. Too Uninteresting Things With Capital Letters and I just start tuning out immediately.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Lvl 18 and on the quest after the "grind".. when we get more cosmetics for the jav's? KInda want to change my dawn look

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
I'm more concerned about knowing whether the long and frequent loading screens are going to be fixed, or whether we're stuck with them. Also about whether getting stuck away from a group, has been fixed. But thank you for telling me that they have given some feedback.

This game is unapologetically demanding of older hardware. I upgraded my video card for this (and Division 2) but no doubt there are plenty of gamers who are getting frustrated. Every group I've been in has at lease one player that loads in 20-30 seconds behind everyone else. Has anyone isolated the issue yet? We suspected it was game loading on SSD vs HDD but haven't substantiated this with any other user findings online...

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nooooo my time is up, don't think I've played 10hrs of a game in 3 days since forsaken dropped. Looking forward to to the 22nd.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite sure the day one patch is still a work in progress. The game launched way too early because the financial calendar, can't see any other reason to have this bugged version available in open beta and to reviewers who will assassinate Anthem metacritic score.

It's the dumbest launch I ever witnessed.

They couldn't have done an intermittent patch though?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Nah, DA4 is coming. It's been in development. EA is not going to abandon it.

Did you play the demo? Because the demo showed just how much this wasn't going to have a typical Bioware story and characters, and the Tweets from them about how the story was really just "an introduction to the world of Anthem" was pretty telling. I had an idea what to expect going in, and even my expectations were greatly exceeded in terms of it being really bad. It was so bad that I just wanted to hit escape any time someone would talk. There's also one particularly annoying NPC that ends up repeating the same four different not funny sentences every single time you go past him too.

The story is basically "Hi, I'm random quest giver and you need to do the same random, boring, lame shit you've done a dozen times again!"
It breaks down into: Stand in the thing, kill the things, find the things, turn the things, repeat.

I played the demo, but we only got one actual story mission which I thought was decent. But, since the demo just threw you in like a quarter in, I figured the full game would be better.

The story is decent and interesting, so far. The characters are tropes, but they are beautifully animated and fun to talk to. The world is an interesting mix of postapocalyptic sci-fi and heroic fantasy; sort of a cross between Dragon Age, Horizon Zero Dawn and Mass Effect, with some Dune and 80s Mecha Anime flavor on top. If you like piloting a mechsuit, having a crew, building up a base hub that expands as you do quests and talking to people, it's fun.

The dialogue is decent, you have to read the world lore in the Cortex to really grasp a lot of the terminology, but the same was true about the Andrastian religion in the first DA and all the backstory about the Citadel and different alien races in the first ME as well.

As far as your player character and role-playing, your Lancer has a pre-set personality, sort of laconic and smartass, but you can pick one of two tonal options during conversations that make them either more empathetic or more pragmatic.

Ah, that sounds mildly better. I guess I'll know next week.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
lmao
Almost all of the bugs, super long load times, and general weirdness of the game I've experienced go away when I play missions in Private mode.
Guess I'll just solo-warrior this thang.

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, DA4 is coming. It's been in development. EA is not going to abandon it.

I doubt this is true. It was announced with a CG teaser. All resources are on Anthem right now, with the exception of a small number of people planning DA4. Its not like a studio hasnt been shutdown before mid production even though i doubt this will happen but I doubt they have anything substantial done for DA4.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Those of you having issues with bugs should probably wait until the day 1 patch and then seeing how your experience is tbh.
Since I preordered and preloaded ofcourse I'll wait but don't lie and say you fixed shit ton from the demo and at the end they weren't fixed. This is what pissing me off the most. My 10 hours trial got burned because I had to deal with shit

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Inquisition was a big success so EA still have incentive to give them one last shot on that even if Anthem fails.

If anything is going to be Bioware's last chance, it would be that (the new DA).

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
This game is unapologetically demanding of older hardware. I upgraded my video card for this (and Division 2) but no doubt there are plenty of gamers who are getting frustrated. Every group I've been in has at lease one player that loads in 20-30 seconds behind everyone else. Has anyone isolated the issue yet? We suspected it was game loading on SSD vs HDD but haven't substantiated this with any other user findings online...

I have new/top of the line everything except CPU (just an 8700K) and the loading screens take time and are far too frequent.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Somehow I managed to complete 2 of the tombs. Of course now I have no clue what I need for the other two. Bleh. This shit is so dumb.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I saw the final's boss/ending on YouTube
And yeah it's awful

Bioware have said something about the year 1 roadmap?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Anyone had a glitch on the last mission where it just throws up a brick wall after the "travel further" objective? I think it must mean there was an enemy we hadn't killed but we scoured the whole damn map and then all my teammates left :(

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
My initial impression is that this is NOT the game i was hoping it to be. Was living in DENIAL that there was a hidden great singleplayer-experience in there, where the real Bioware would flex their muscles once again. Never been impressed by lootshooters and/or online gaming so definitely not for me personally, but it should please people who are into bullet-sponge type of games.

Imagine Anthem Origins/Inquisition. A story driven Bioware-classic in the open world of Anthem. That is the SP-experience i was hoping for, because it would look and play amazing. As it actually does in its current state. Fuck denial!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt this is true. It was announced with a CG teaser. All resources are on Anthem right now, with the exception of a small number of people planning DA4. Its not like a studio hasnt been shutdown before mid production even though i doubt this will happen but I doubt they have anything substantial done for DA4.

I don't doubt this either, they're probably still in pre-production. But, EA owned and established IP's are a part of EA's business strategy. They need games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. They don't need Star Wars games, hence why they keep getting shuffled around.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Hovering in the air and raining destruction from above as Storm is fun. Flying, mostly fun. Visuals look pretty on my PC.

Everything else is pretty messy. I hope that in a few months when there's some free DLC, as well as whatever patches, that it improves things.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. The amount of vitriol about this game is astounding.

People have legitimate reasons for not enjoying the game, sure. I don't think anyone can defend or excuse the confusing UI elements or insane high system requirements for stability but the dogpiling on failed expectations are getting downright obnoxious.

Premier access subscription is the only way to play the game in early access (Feb 15) correct? Feb 22nd is considered launch. You have to expect you are playing a pre-release version of the game. It doesn't matter what your predefined expectations were prior - the game is not out until Feb 22nd. Period.

Granted, it's highly unlikely the game will resolve EVERY issue thrown at it on these boards and on reddit, but christ on a cracker, if you're not enjoying your time, find another game to play.

The game has released on the 15th. That's the facts. Making people wait 7 days is a decision by EA to get Premier subscriptions. Nothing more, nothing less.

The game should be fully judged by what it is now and not by what it could be. I can tell you one thing though, come 22nd of February not much will change. There's no way they can fix the insane amount of loading screens and boring quest design this fast. There's areas of major rework needed.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is true. What people might not realize is that Mark Darrah and Mike Laidlaw were the two top people on Dragon Age, and that in mid-2017 BioWare rebooted DA4, put it on hold for a while, and moved Darrah to Anthem. (Laidlaw left the studio.)

Matt Goldman (who was art director on previous DA games) took over Laidlaw's job as creative director, but Darrah has still been on Anthem. Presumably now he's moving back to Dragon Age, but when the studio's top Dragon Age person has been on something else for the past two years, that means DA4 is very, very early in development.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's still quite fun to fly and combat is nice. BUT:

- enemies load after 10-20 second so I see my friends shooting air, I have flashbacks of late pop-in in Rage
- TOO MUCH WAITING. Seriously. Do I really have to go back to base after ever single little contract and side-mission...? Jesus.
- It's weird seeing nice cut-scene during a mission. You just go through this rather empty world and BAM, cutscene, many NPCs, cool stuff and then loading... and you're just fighting a bunch of dudes without any of those companions, or maybe just one, but you can't even interact with them.
- Oh, and also it has weird gated content. To continue with tha MAIN STORY quite early on you have to complete some simple tasks like "Kill X enemies with gear" or "Complete 3 side missions". Seriously? And someone pls tell me this isn't to just make the game longer.

Last edited:

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
You know what? Bioware deserves all the hate it will get on the internet after this game. They had 6 fucking years. Time to accept that Bioware is not a great studio anymore. EA is the WORST publisher this gen by far. They dont deserve respawn

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
How big is the environment? Besides the jungle what other biomes are there?
The world is probably a decent size but it's a pain to get around (due to flight overheat and big rock walls all over the place) and every inch of it looks more or less the same, thus making it feel relatively small.