• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
The worst part about loading screens and trash UX/UI is that both of those can be truly solved only in a proper sequel :(

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Sure, but most people has finished the story with level 15-18.

It doesn't take that much to see that in this thread, Twitter, reviewers, Reddit, etc. hitting level 30 for the endgame is "nope" situation, specially after the story grind (which highlights even more the terrible loading screens and the stale mission variety).
I mean, it's basically following Diablo's model. Kill stuff, find the door, get loot, kill stuff, find the door, get the loot.

I'm certainly fine with that gameplay loop at endgame. I guess I wasn't expecting anything more complicated than that, tbh.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
SkillUp is not pleased and he was cheering this one on.
In the past, I perceived him as fair and balanced. But Anthem seems to rub him the wrong way. He was on the forefront of the $20 skin outrage. But when the real prices were revealed, he chose to misrepresent them as "around $10" for some reason.

Sure enough, his comments were full of "$10 is too much!" entries. The difference to $8.50 isn't huge, but why the imprecision? To keep up the good rage?

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I just saw a clip of someone who was lvl3 getting quickplayed in what seems to be the final mission. What the hell?

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but most people has finished the story with level 15-18.

It doesn't take that much to see that in this thread, Twitter, reviewers, Reddit, etc. hitting level 30 for the endgame is "nope" situation, specially after the story grind (which highlights even more the terrible loading screens and the stale mission variety).

You don't hit max light in Destiny at the end of the story either? Why is that a bad thing for anthem?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but have you tried moving the game to an SSD? It makes a huge difference.

I can clock my load times, but they're not bad on an SSD.

Yes, they are. Dragon Quest XI can fully load in three and a half seconds, The Witcher 3 can load in less than five seconds and this takes up to two and a half minutes sometimes on Freeplay. Usually Freeplay takes close to a minute. The only thing that was really improved was loading into the Forge.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Finally got the Interceptor. The Ranger has been good, but I was icking already for something else. Still not even level 10, though.. and I've been 8 hours at it.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about holding off on playing anymore and just waiting until the Day 1 patch. I'm tired of having to re-do my settings each time I log in, and I kinda want to play through the early missions again solo. The game's default audio makes it hard to hear dialog, so I missed a lot early on until I adjusted things. Also, playing story missions the first time through with random people sucks. WHY IS EVERYONE IN SUCH A F'NG RUSH. I'm trying to take in dialog and the game is prompting my to hurry and catch up before it teleports me because one guy is playing this like WarFrame and speeding running through.

Plus, I don't like the character face I picked anyhow. So yeah, I'm probably starting over on Friday and setting my lobby to private for everything except the forced public freeplay missions.

Loading times are alright for me, but I hate how sloooooooow your movement inside the city is.

The added "sprint" speed is a joke. I don't understand how they could playtest the sprint speed and think, "yeah, this is exactly what the community was asking for. ship it guys.".

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
You don't hit max light in Destiny at the end of the story either? Why is that a bad thing for anthem?
Again, the problem is that, unlike Destiny (well, I only played Destiny 2, to be honest, so I don't know how it was in 1), this game forces you to do the grind in the middle of the story, which makes you replay a lot of the stuff you already did, which highlights the loading screens problem, the boring mission design, the out of bounds thing, the audio/matchmaking/etc bugs, and all of that wraped in a package that says "You have done everything the game has to offer, do it again!".

Like I say, the Diablo/Destiny/Division style of gameplay loop is not the problem, the problem is that in my opinion the game is rushed and void of diversity. Which is a complete shame.

This is, of course, only my opinion, if you're enjoying the game, hey, I'm glad! I'm sure the day one patch will make it even better.

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about holding off on playing anymore and just waiting until the Day 1 patch. I'm tired of having to re-do my settings each time I log in, and I kinda want to play through the early missions again solo. The game's default audio makes it hard to hear dialog, so I missed a lot early on until I adjusted things. Also, playing story missions the first time through with random people sucks. WHY IS EVERYONE IN SUCH A F'NG RUSH. I'm trying to take in dialog and the game is prompting my to hurry and catch up before it teleports me because one guy is playing this like WarFrame and speeding running through.

Plus, I don't like the character face I picked anyhow. So yeah, I'm probably starting over on Friday and setting my lobby to private for everything except the forced public freeplay missions.

The added "sprint" speed is a joke. I don't understand how they could playtest the sprint speed and think, "yeah, this is exactly what the community was asking for. ship it guys.".
The running speed inside the fort get's added on the 22nd.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
Isn't the polishing stage of a game the easiest technically and skill wise and some of the most cost effective part of the development?

Why do these apparently professional game development companies put out janky half baked work?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the polishing stage of a game the easiest technically and skill wise and some of the most cost effective part of the development?

Why do these apparently professional game development companies put out janky half baked work?

it's probably the Frostbite engine, having problems with an open world game

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
And now the people who have been clamoring for matchmaking in Desinty raids will hopefully see why that is a dumb fucking idea. A man can wish.

There is no logical argument for not having match making in destiny raids or any other game for that matter. Allow people to party up who want to and allow others to use match-making, best of both worlds.

Deleted member 13307

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Is there a way to play the full version with an unlocked framerate on xbox one x, like you could on pro with the demo by forcing 1080p?

Nope.

Even on PS4 Pro, Gamble was very proud to indicate that they cut near half of the frames for more "smooth" : https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/1096448948351291393
We wanted the gunplay to be smooth. Spikes, even at high frame rates can create issues

I've made a thread on reddit to warn other "Ps4 Pro + 1080p screen" players, but of course it has been insta-downvote to hell :)

Even Digital Foundry says it was better : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-anthem-demo-performance-analysis

"but if your choice is between 20-30fps at 1800p, or 35-50fps to 1080p, it's a no-brainer - the game just works better at a higher frame-rate "
"The PS4 Pro's full HD output makes reading the most intense firefights a lot easier: you get more visual feedback and lower latency. "

So instead of adding an option, a performance mode, they just cut off the extra frames and lock the fps at 30. No more problem guys !

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Oh my fucking god, launched into a mission that already started, had to get into a loading screen again and no audio bug. fuck.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Is there some way of setting a waypoint on the map? I'm not seeing it but this is so goddamn basic the game has to have an option to set one.

No, one of many many suggestions after the demo.

Problem with the respawn system from reddit.

This issue was nothing new, people had been complaining about it since the demo. I am just shocked that BW never thought of stuff like this and such as the issue in demo build when a player hang on to an echo but refuse to deposit it, it will halt progression (which it was eventually fix in the launch build). It ALMOST feel like no one in the dev team ever play an online game before and have no clue how people behave in an online game. Any mission progression stopper behavior by players SHOULD be already flush out and have counter measures in place way before the the launch, especially how much emphasis BW has been hamming on about how this game is social and co-op.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
You get unlimited early access if you have Origin Premier on PC.
Thanks for the info.

It looks like they launched the game with part 1/6 of the story content so-to-speak and plan on releasing more story content over the course of the year?

I wonder why they could provide a little more story content at launch, especially considering the Dev time on this game...

Kan Swolo

Nov 29, 2017
I really want to like this game, hope 3 months from now we got a little more to work with here. Destiny pulled itself out, right? Sorta?

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
In the appearance tab, I seem to be able the change every colour except the white on the face of the helmet. Am I missing something, or is that one just locked?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SkillUp is not pleased and he was cheering this one on. Looks like he'll be posting a review before it's official release too.
Skill up has 2 moods. Hype master or outrage champion. I don't know what algorithm luck has catapulted him to the top of everyone's YouTube recommendations but I can't stand his videos. Same goes for AGC, people suddenly hold them up as the bastion of correct opinions.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is the real issue here EA's insistence in every bloody game they make using Frostbite? It seems that engine just causes enormous issues whenever a dev team tries to make something that isn't an FPS.

Oct 26, 2017
So, how much content the game have, if you do all the side missions and story missions, strongholds a bit of free play?

Now, I know this is a coop game and you are supposed to replay the missions several times. But, for argument sake, to have an idea of how much is there, how many hours is if you play everything just once?

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Again, the problem is that, unlike Destiny (well, I only played Destiny 2, to be honest, so I don't know how it was in 1), this game forces you to do the grind in the middle of the story, which makes you replay a lot of the stuff you already did, which highlights the loading screens problem, the boring mission design, the out of bounds thing, the audio/matchmaking/etc bugs, and all of that wraped in a package that says "You have done everything the game has to offer, do it again!".

Like I say, the Diablo/Destiny/Division style of gameplay loop is not the problem, the problem is that in my opinion the game is rushed and void of diversity. Which is a complete shame.

This is, of course, only my opinion, if you're enjoying the game, hey, I'm glad! I'm sure the day one patch will make it even better.

All complaints Destiny has had thrown at it one time or another boring mission design having to redo stuff you already have done loading the tower etc etc.

I don't personally find grind at the beginning middle or end an issue as long as I'm personally having fun is what I'm saying.

I've read in this thread that grind isn't even that bad I'm not up to it myself so I don't know.

It sucks about the bugs though but hopefully that ends better in updates much like a few more QOL stuff it needs.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is it just me or is the real issue here EA's insistence in every bloody game they make using Frostbite? It seems that engine just causes enormous issues whenever a dev team tries to make something that isn't an FPS.

Frostbite is absolutely a wrong choice for a game like Anthem, that is for sure. but even with a fitting engine there are so many baffling gameplay and design decisions that i don´t know if the end result would been much better.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
In terms of loading, Bioware's frostbite games have been too long, tho I don't have a SSD, Inquisition, Andromeda and now this suffer from loading and streaming issues. I hope that maybe after this Bioware can make their own engine like back in the old days or use another's but yeh, it's EA so I doubt... though Respawn can use others?

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Yep. The fact games like this and Dragon Age Inquisition could even be in shipping condition is a miracle to be honest. Blood Sweat and Pixels had a lengthy section on the development of the latter that really showed how much they had to stretch Frostbite to have it even apply with basic RPG concepts.