• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Metacritic prediction time:

Will be praised for its graphics, cinematics and minute-to-minute gameplay. Brought down by technical issues (not just bugs, but stuff like loading times), repetitive quest design, lack of content, shallow experience in general. Perhaps also punished by having "just" an okay story, since this is Bioware we're talking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
The two Masterwork drops you got are for your "Favorite weapons"? Lol, come on. Happy you are liking the game at least.
I think there's an increased chance of masterworks dropping of the weapons you are using because I've been using Deadeye and Relentless all the time pretty much and both of my masterworks are upgraded versions of those, pretty happy about that.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently it took Datto and 3 friends 19 hours to beat it on hard. That seems like a fairly long length given the skill and experience of Datto.

By comparison, I recall Destiny's original campaign being less than 10 hours. That's why my friends wrote it off even though I wanted to keep playing.

If by "Destiny's original campaign" you mean Destiny 1's, that was around 8. So yeah, if Anthen is >20 for casual players it's pretty damn good.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's an increased chance of masterworks dropping of the weapons you are using because I've been using Deadeye and Relentless all the time pretty much and both of my masterworks are upgraded versions of those, pretty happy about that.

IF that is true then is a legit amazing system that every game should implement. How many hours did you get in so far?

Also, go to sleep dude or you will crash your javelin into a wall lol

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently it took Datto and 3 friends 19 hours to beat it on hard. That seems like a fairly long length given the skill and experience of Datto.

By comparison, I recall Destiny's original campaign being less than 10 hours. That's why my friends wrote it off even though I wanted to keep playing.

This sounds perfect

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a review in progress:

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

Oof. The reviewer had the same problems I had while playing the trial. I'd guess this lands on a 70

Iirc destiny had some bad reviews and a lot of negativity at launch too. For these types of games, post launch support is a lot more important than review scores (provided the game can find an audience that sticks around long enough for the extra content)

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know what constitutes a "mission" for that Tombs Quest? I have 2/3 and I can't think what I've only done 2 of.
It's not world events, it's not contracts, it's not strongholds or expeditions..... (or is it?)

Seth Balmore

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Does anyone know what constitutes a "mission" for that Tombs Quest? I have 2/3 and I can't think what I've only done 2 of.
It's not world events, it's not contracts, it's not strongholds or expeditions..... (or is it?)
Contracts definitely count. Protip: pretty sure doing Quickplay Missions also counts (joining an ongoing random expedition to help peeps out).

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I'm going to type my very first controversial comment here on ERA; the opening mission alone was more interesting than the entire vanilla D2 campaign. Not talking about the entire game, not the loot, not the gunplay just that first mission, it was way beyond my expectations.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The mission structure of this game is horrible. Even small contracts have an expedition victory screen and force you back to Tarsis? Everything about the Tarsis hub is not fun, the funneling of players there constantly is just such a slog.

I had one quest which was shorter than the actual load times to get into and out of it haha

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to type my very first controversial comment here on ERA; the opening mission alone was more interesting than the entire vanilla D2 campaign. Not talking about the entire game, not the loot, not the gunplay just that first mission, it was way beyond my expectations.
One cutscene is longer then all cutscenes of Destiny combined. ::P

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Yyyyeeeaaahhh I like the mission too, but can't get behind that lol.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm playing the 10 hour trial. Still haven't decided how I feel about it, but I think it has more going for it story wise than Destiny 2 from what I've played of both. To be honest I think Destiny 1 and 2 are both horribly bland.

grizzmo

Oct 31, 2017
The final cinematic was quite an experience:

atdRLXy.jpg

After this I received the standard end game screen, followed by
credits and then some post game exposition. This sequence had no sound playing. At the end of it all, the game still ran, but I couldn't control anything and had to force quit.

A bit of a downer to say the least.

The same bug happened to me. Kinda a bummer. Guess I'll have to look up the ending elsewhere...

I really liked the final boss though. Genuinely had fun a few times during the campaign. The some of the story bits (that mid game grind), loading screens after loading screen, and a myriad of bugs really took me out of it.

All in all (minus the endgame gear grind, which I haven't started yet), this is reminiscent of Destiny 1's release for me. A lot of glaring issues that I hope Bioware can fix, but right now is a mixed bag. Not a terrible game, but not good either.

Hope they can fix things up. I'll keep playing; there's a lot of potential here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So... how do you get more cosmetic armor pieces? Is it really just through their store? I've played like 5 hours and haven't seen a single new cosmetic item.

Color customization is great, but armor wise everyone looks the same.
The palettes they achieved is incredible, but you're right, every class still looks the same, just palette swapped.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Iirc destiny had some bad reviews and a lot of negativity at launch too. For these types of games, post launch support is a lot more important than review scores (provided the game can find an audience that sticks around long enough for the extra content)

Yes, of course, but then the game didn't meet sales expectations and revenue during its first year. Those bad reviews and negativity were justified, because they hyped the game so much for having a "cinematic story" this time, and it turned out being a bland experience, lacking in endgame content and even less inspired than vanilla Destiny 1.

I agree, post-launch support is important, but hopefully it won't take them one year to release major content drops and QoL/Gameplay updates.

They need to revamp Fort Tarsis asap. Make it 3rd person, improve performance there (for some reason it's really bad compared to the open world), and make it a more meaningful place. Tons of bug fixes and a complete overhaul of some parts of the gameplay are also needed already.

The game is fun and enjoyable at the core, but I was expecting a better game given the development time and resources.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not up to it yet, but looking at this thread, I probably already have 80-90% of the requirements done. I don't understand the outrage. Are people just rushing through story missions on easy?

It's likely a bug, but all mine were zeroed out in the beginning and others noted the same on Reddit.

So I just spent 2-3 wandering in freeplay, which is... Fine, but kills any pace the story had.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
F it. Gonna subscribe to EA Access to try this out. I am curious.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just finished that already infamous
Tomb quest
and I honestly did not find it to be that bad. The quest design could use some work for sure but it only took me about an hour. I already had like 75% of the stuff done.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Is there a video I can watch to understand everything before I play? I did the demo but I haven't followed the game much.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
I am so fucking tired of spending 2 minutes to load in to the stronghold and then I find out the Spider Boss fight has already started and I can either stare at a locked door or back out and load another 2 minutes.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
are the loot drops completely fucked in this compared to the demo? I barely get anything I can use and Ive already reached pilot level 11. Hell Ive gotten 1 assault system skill out of the few hours ive played so far.

Are they trying to extend the life of the game by reducing drops this drastically ooor?

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Are interceptor melee attacks crashing the game for anyone else? Seems like spamming their melee randomly locks up my game.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Storm is amazing and it suits my play style in every similar game. I'm the Mage/Wizard/Warlock type. So for me it was Storm without even thinking twice. I believe people picks Storm because it looks cool. Like after each mission I see most storms rewarded by being "Soldier" and not even Artilery which is the purpose of a Storm

I spend whole missions spamming Q and E and I still get the soldier tag. I'm not even sure what triggers those tags.