• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I asked around about this specifically (to be frank I haven't played yet).

Feats are specific to an expedition. Are you looking at the challenges in the cortex to see what you've done?

As far as I can tell, it isn't stored in the challenges section. I see nothing in there relating to them.

I do see them in feats, but they don't even show everything, and as you said, they seem specific to a given expedition.

MCoD5Eq.jpg

Notice how the feats above shows zero progress, when this was my progress on the actual tomb. Also, the feat list doesn't show everything required to unlock the tomb, either.
HruUZ9a.png

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
This game reeks of EA going "release it, i dont care if its not ready yet, put stuff together and release it, i want my money"

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Devs seem pretty open about changes. We could see this changed come launch but being this close to launch....ehhhhhh. That's going to really kill people's enjoyment of the game.

Like you said, it's late in development, so any changes they make would either be simply reducing the numbers or hitting it entirely. Either way... Meh. I've played so much destiny 1/2, division 1, etc. Tired of buying these games day 1 and then have to basically beta test it for months until they figure their shit out. I understand that's kinda how these types of games work but it's just annoying at this point.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
ive played liked 2hrs so far. My impressions

*on xb1x the cutscenes are choppy and remind me of Andromeda. (maybe this is an EA access problem?). Combined with the quick camera cuts it looks bad.
*games just not as pretty as i expected in general
*i know it was just a demo...but the map is bigger than i expected and there are all types of areas u couldn't reach in demo.
*this games not easy. I died twice just on the first mission lol. And randos wouldn't bother to revive me so u just sit there forever doing nothing.
*u level pretty fast. Ive barely done anything an im level 4 for some reason. Which sucks because i know im going to be overleveled for the legendary L.O.D gun that comes with my pre-order next week.
*Tarsis sound seems even deader than the demo somehow. It feels a little better than the demo just because u can actually talk to some ppl and interact with things like picking up codex entries and looking at trials etc.
*I dont want to waste the trial reading all the codex things. But as far as story/lore....im at least not hating it yet. That beginning cutscene was better than story cutscenes in Vanilla D1 or D2

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I cant believe people are complaining about that "grind". Actually I can with this game. It takes comparatively no time to get it done. Sorry that a small roadblock that is knocked down by basically playing the game got in the way of you powering through the story in a single day...
This isn't "a small roadblock", its meaningless padding.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
And yes, I can confirm that progress for
the tombs
isn't carried over with party members either for certain objectives, so not only is it an artificial grind, but it is an artificial grind that actively hinders you from playing with others.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't "a small roadblock", its meaningless padding.

It doesn't feel like that to me. I would be playing strongholds, exploring free roam, and doing freelancer missions anyway. And as you do them, this stuff gets completed.

It's really not that bad.

The only real bad part is the completions not triggering for friends in your party... and that's pretty horrible.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
the few codex/lore things i've read...i do like more than Destiny. Where it actually gives me some info and/or context. Like the thing near that statue that explains why that statue is there.

Unlike in destiny...where u read the lore...and instead of a story or info, u just get some excerpt of terrible dialogue from some inconsequential character. Or u find space junk and ur ghost is just like.."look its some space junk"

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game has froze in the same mission at more or less the same portion of the map. I don't think I'm the only one either because the 3 attempts I've tried at least 1 other person has DC'd around that area before I did.

I think the heightened reaction is because they want to rush to end game and really see what the game is about. A lot of people, including myself, are starting to feel fatigued from doing everything that isn't combat. So to hit a soft road block like that, when they're already starting to feel like they may not like the game is probably going to be the final nail for a lot of people.
No one is complaining about that segment because theyre trying to rush to end game. Theyre complaining about that section because fetch quests have run their course since the N64 era of gaming.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I was ready to get way into this game, but man, it's repetitive and I'm bored after 5 hours.

Hope you all continue to enjoy it.

The flying is fun and I can't say raining elemental destruction on whatever-the-fuck-those-generic-baddies-are isn't enjoyable.
But the mission structure... It's like replaying the same mission over and over again with different dialogue.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is anyone else getting the bug where you're stuck on 3 power level? I'm clearly not but it shows up to me and everyone else in the social menus.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Why should the server closure notification be displayed once every 5 minutes? It's still 2 hours until the server is down, just tell me once every 30 minutes or so, and in the last 5 minutes it's okay to inform everyone every 1 minute.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i was under the impression that we had voice options. So i picked one of the black dude heads. But then i get the generic white guy Troy Baker sounding voice :(

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That opening mission was pretty cool. So far the story is already much more interesting than Destiny but that's not saying a lot cause Destiny's story is pretty bland.

Feels smoother than the demo a couple weeks ago. However hearing about the grinding sounds pretty unbearable. I hope they patch those side quests so it more manageable. I dont have time to sit around and do meaningless side questions for 3+ hours. Thats absurd.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the verdict so far? Got an Anthem code with my RTX 2060 today and I'm not sure if I should use it or sell it.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was on a story mission collecting stuff for a party. I collected them, and the game started a prerendered cutscene, only to freeze and crash. I booted it up, and asked me to join the expedition.

I sat in this screen for 3 minutes.
WgyCb4k.jpg

Then, it just went black, with another loading screen, for 2 minutes. Then, this.

v59mMjX.jpg

grizzmo

Oct 31, 2017
Once you do ~10 missions, and get to the freeplay stuff...

Here are the full requirements
  • Artinia: 5 World events, 30 Weapon defeats, 15 weak point defeats, 9 elite defeats
  • Cariff: 3 missions, 30 gear defeats, 15 combos, 3 multikills
  • Gawnes: 50 Melee defeats, 50 ult defeats, 3 legendary defeats
  • Yvena: 15 chests, 25 harvests, 3 javs repaired, 10 collectibles
All four are required to advance the main quest.

Fun Fact: Feat tracking is broken, so the only way to check progress is by manually flying to each tomb to see!

Yay! Isn't locking main storyline content behind an absurd grind fun? /s

Just got to this step. Bleh.

For those sticking with it, you can actually track it in the menus. It's really buried in there:

Challenges>Expeditions>Freeplay
Then select any of the Trials to track.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I just personally think that something that takes maybe a total of an hour to do in a game that's meant for people to play for a loooong time isnt an issue. Especially since virtually every single one of those goals comes from just playing the game!
People want to play the game for a long time to have fun, not slog through trivial fetch quests from superman 64.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just got to this step. Bleh.

For those sticking with it, you can actually track it in the menus. It's really buried in there:

Challenges>Expeditions>Freeplay
Then select any of the Trials to track.

But you can't have the individual requirements pinned to the screen during gameplay, which is fucking asinine.

Literally gonna play this with a pen and paper tomorrow smh.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Apparently, if you go down in a respawn-restricted area, not only can you not respawn, but it completely locks you out of every menu too. Even the ESC key to bring up the menu doesn't work...

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Unnecessary hostility
People want to play the game for a long time to have fun, not slog through trivial fetch quests from superman 64.

Thanks for the hyperbole expected in every anthem thread. Guess what? If you dont want to play the actual game of anthem, then anthem isnt for you. This isnt a game that's 4 hours long with an hour long interlude. This is a game that is designed to be played continuously. If you feel having to explore and get kills and just fucking play the game is too much off a chore, then fuck off and stop complaining. This game isnt for you. Neither is destiny btw. Or division.

If they load the rest of the game with fetch quests like this instead of actual gameplay and story and content I'll eat my words, but the number of people freaking out of this one instance like it's never existed in virtually every game loke this is ridiculous. Especially since all its asking you to do is play the game!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the hyperbole expected in every anthem thread. Guess what? If you dont want to play the actual game of anthem, then anthem isnt for you. This isnt a game that's 4 hours long with an hour long interlude. This is a game that is designed to be played continuously. If you feel having to explore and get kills and just fucking play the game is too much off a chore, then fuck off and stop complaining. This game isnt for you. Neither is destiny btw. Or division.

If they load the rest of the game with fetch quests like this instead of actual gameplay and story and content I'll eat my words, but the number of people freaking out of this one instance like it's never existed in virtually every game loke this is ridiculous. Especially since all its asking you to do is play the game!

Dude I love Anthem but you are getting your hackles up way too much. If people find this a deal breaker that's completely fair. There's nothing wrong with them wanting a different gameplay experience even if you don't mind it personally.

I don't mind it myself but there's no excuse for telling people to fuck off.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Yeah, the quests in this look so mindnumingly boring.

It's better with friends, but doing it 4 times? Yeah no.

I'll stick with Apex.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
lmao, is this hub with other players a joke?

Yea its quite terrible. Just an interior room with nothing going on. I get that its just a place to pick up missions or grab rewards but at least in Destiny they are visually stunning. Like the Tower is fantastic to look at with the entire sky lit up with planets in the background and with ships flying around etc. This is such a let down. There is no atmosphere even on Fort Tarsis.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Ok I am like 10 hours in and this game is seriously lacking any enemy that is interesting to fight with.

So far I have fought small guys, small guys that are "elite" that look exactly the same but with shield bar, small guys that are snipers, some weird elite enemy that has gas tanks on the back that is hilariously easy to defeat if you have a storm in your group since you can freeze him and just hold down the mouse till he dies some insect creatures and wyverns.

With the exception of the wyverns which are kinda cool cause they are airborne the rest are literally brain dead fodder with no AI to speak of so the game sends them out in numbers and the battles turn into a boring attrition match.

It makes me sad because the games movement mechanics are amazing and I would love to have a reason to utilize it. Hopefully some later enemies are more interesting but I am underwhelmed right now with how the fights are playing out.

gspec

Oct 25, 2017
Yea its quite terrible. Just an interior room with nothing going on. I get that its just a place to pick up missions or grab rewards but at least in Destiny they are visually stunning. Like the Tower is fantastic to look at with the entire sky lit up with planets in the background and with ships flying around etc. This is such a let down. There is no atmosphere even on Fort Tarsis.
The hub was added late in development. They originally were not going to have one until gamers complained. So no one should have been expecting much.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Left field question: for those of you that have played both Destiny and Phantasy Star Online, is Destiny or Anthem closer to PSO in feel?

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude I love Anthem but you are getting your hackles up way too much. If people find this a deal breaker that's completely fair. There's nothing wrong with them wanting a different gameplay experience even if you don't mind it personally.

I don't mind it myself but there's no excuse for telling people to fuck off.
Sorry but this particular person spent all their time with the demo shitting all over Anthem saying dumb things like it looked like a ps3 game, so coming in here and shooting off dumb things like comparing it in some way to Superman 64 is just par for the course of that poster.

They've been very vocal about not liking the game, which is fine, but coming into a OT for the Express purpose of shitposting is getting pretty old in Anthem threads.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Idk how anybody thought this amount of loading was ok. This is the first time I've ever actually been bothered by loading in a game. It feels like they just made a bunch of different pieces of the game with no thought of how they connect with one another, and then just tried to glue it all together in the end.

The open world loading is especially bad, I could understand if there were a lot of players running around and they needed to make sure that no weird shit happens, but when it's only a regular squad of 4, it makes absolutely no sense. And they're long as hell even on a PC with an SSD.

I mean holy shit, the game literally reboots just to change characters. why.

I will say I've been having more fun when I'm actually playing the game than I did in the VIP demo, but man, these loading screens :/

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Once you do ~10 missions, and get to the freeplay stuff...

Here are the full requirements
  • Artinia: 5 World events, 30 Weapon defeats, 15 weak point defeats, 9 elite defeats
  • Cariff: 3 missions, 30 gear defeats, 15 combos, 3 multikills
  • Gawnes: 50 Melee defeats, 50 ult defeats, 3 legendary defeats
  • Yvena: 15 chests, 25 harvests, 3 javs repaired, 10 collectibles
All four are required to advance the main quest.

Fun Fact: Feat tracking is broken, so the only way to check progress is by manually flying to each tomb to see!

Yay! Isn't locking main storyline content behind an absurd grind fun? /s

Ewww, that killed my little interest for the game.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I am like 10 hours in and this game is seriously lacking any enemy that is interesting to fight with.

So far I have fought small guys, small guys that are "elite" that look exactly the same but with shield bar, small guys that are snipers, some weird elite enemy that has gas tanks on the back that is hilariously easy to defeat if you have a storm in your group since you can freeze him and just hold down the mouse till he dies some insect creatures and wyverns.

With the exception of the wyverns which are kinda cool cause they are airborne the rest are literally brain dead fodder with no AI to speak of so the game sends them out in numbers and the battles turn into a boring attrition match.

It makes me sad because the games movement mechanics are amazing and I would love to have a reason to utilize it. Hopefully some later enemies are more interesting but I am underwhelmed right now with how the fights are playing out.

I was told this is okay because "Diablo 3 is like this and obviously it's fine if Anthem has braindead A.I because of that".

All while ignoring the much better A.I in similar games such as Division or Destiny. They aren't great in those games by any means, but they're better than this.

It's one of the improvements I'd like to see before jumping in.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What hyperbole? I was being entirely serious.

I'm all about playing a game continuously. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with padding content with n64 fetch quests, and at that, might be worse since you cant even check your progress. A game should be played continuously because of fun engaging content, not trivial fetch quests padding out the length.

If it was just killing things I wouldnt think it was all that bad. However it isnt JUST killing things, so I will kindly not fuck off. In fact I think I'll stay and continue voicing my opinion because this is a discussion forum.

Collecting boring trivial materials and chests are part of that quest so by virtue of your description you're beingb completely disingenuous about what this quest entails.

Being in other games doesnt change the fact that people dont find these quests fun. It doesnt even matter how many of them are in the game.

grizzmo

Oct 31, 2017
But you can't have the individual requirements pinned to the screen during gameplay, which is fucking asinine.

Literally gonna play this with a pen and paper tomorrow smh.

Yeah no kidding. Luckily I think it starts counting the moment you get the quest. I was working on sidequests before this one and saw I had progress already towards the first tomb I found.

Messy stuff. Can't believe they put a grind like this in the campaign.
Where do I even find the menu to see this?

I'm using a Xbox One controller, so to pull up the Journal menu I hit the Views (Select) button.