• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once you do ~10 missions, and get to the freeplay stuff...

Here are the full requirements
  • Artinia: 5 World events, 30 Weapon defeats, 15 weak point defeats, 9 elite defeats
  • Cariff: 3 missions, 30 gear defeats, 15 combos, 3 multikills
  • Gawnes: 50 Melee defeats, 50 ult defeats, 3 legendary defeats
  • Yvena: 15 chests, 25 harvests, 3 javs repaired, 10 collectibles
All four are required to advance the main quest.

Fun Fact: Feat tracking is broken, so the only way to check progress is by manually flying to each tomb to see!

Yay! Isn't locking main storyline content behind an absurd grind fun? /s
I can understand locking story missions behind level requirements but that is excessively dumb. Like, why?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• Artinia: 5 World events, 30 Weapon defeats, 15 weak point defeats, 9 elite defeats

Fun Fact: Feat tracking is broken, so the only way to check progress is by manually flying to each tomb to see!

Jesus.

This coupled with the performance issues motivated me to contact EA to request a refund for my Origin Access Premier. I just joined last night so they went ahead and granted it.

Maybe I'll sub again in the fall when there's another paid EA game I want to play. Back to Apex Legends for now.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This is where I am, it's fucking dumb.

tucah

Oct 25, 2017

I was slowly leaning towards getting it next week and then saw this and this was pretty much exactly what I feared the quest design would turn into...maybe I am out after all.

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
You can alter the appearance of each piece of your gear, as well as the texture and color of like 6 different appearance slots. Oh and decals.

And yes they have said there was no character creator many times. I'm at work but I'm sure a cursory twitter search would find your examples.

Oh I'm wrong, thanks for the clarification.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Skimmed through the thread for impressions, this is what I got so far :

- Story is great, or at least better than Destiny/Division.
- Character customization only limited to voice and choosing preset face.
- Some bugs from demo still persist.
- Performance is improved.
- You can respawn by yourself now.
- Guns still sounds like Demo.
- Main story progression locked behind fetch quest.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Been playing for a couple of hours trip report:

NEGATIVES:
-The story, characters, and writing are all about par for the course for modern Bioware (they suck)
-I hate having to run around the fort, and really wish there was some kind of fast travel system.
-I don't really care about any of the chats, but some of them give rep so I feel obliged to go for them.

POSITIVES:
-The game-feel is exquisite to me. Now that M+KB flying is fixed, there's nothing quite like combat in this game.
-Game feels very stable for a day 1 launch.

I'm excited to keep playing. I think there's the framework for a really excellent game in here.

Skimmed through the thread for impressions, this is what I got so far :
- Story is great, or at least better than Destiny/Division.

It's just as bad. It's for people who read 1000 page fantasy novels.

Jun 1, 2018

This is worse than mmorpgs.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I don't get that at all. I've been following the mainstream coverage of the game and loot, and by extension guns, has seemed like a core part of the game.
Loot is a core part. That's why abilities also drop as loot, and have power levels just like guns (something very few if any similar games do). Everything I've gotten from following/playing the game is 100% that the game is abilities first, guns second. Sorry you didn't get that impression.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo

Yeah, when I got there I decided I didn't need to play all day after all. Really enjoyed it up to this point.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Wow, that's certainly... a bold design choice?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Good lord...what were they thinking. I play a lot of loot shooters and I don't mind grinding for the most part, but that just seems poorly designed. Way too much just to advance the story.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I'm having a good time overall! Definitely could use a few tune-ups though:

-"Start" menu in-game is really bad. Very unresponsive.The UI animations should be very snappy, not feel like trudging through a swamp.
-I didn't have time to look, can we remap controller buttons on PC? The weapon swap being same as reload and not a dedicated button is actually really breaking my pacing. The swap never happens how I want it, so it requires me to break my attention and stop what I'm doing.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for a couple of hours trip report:

NEGATIVES:
-The story, characters, and writing are all about par for the course for modern Bioware (they suck)
-I hate having to run around the fort, and really wish there was some kind of fast travel system.
-I don't really care about any of the chats, but some of them give rep so I feel obliged to go for them.

POSITIVES:
-The game-feel is exquisite to me. Now that M+KB flying is fixed, there's nothing quite like combat in this game.
-Game feels very stable for a day 1 launch.

I'm excited to keep playing. I think there's the framework for a really excellent game in here.

It's just as bad. It's for people who read 1000 page fantasy novels.

I have low standard as I like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Inquisition and Dragon Age 2 story so I'm not too fussed about it >.<

———

Holy shit at that fetch auest requirement list... I hope they address it in the launch..

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

What in the actual hell?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
How are all these people so shocked there is no character creator?

Bioware said like 1000 times that the Javelin is your character, you only see your characters face a few scant times. Customization is for the Javelin.

Probably because people see the Bioware name and assume there's a creator like their past 10 games. I don't think it's necessary in this game though.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
What the fuck.

Im not doing all that shit.

I absolutely would not blame anyone for stopping the second they hit that grind. It is poorly communicated and extremely hard to track or tell what your current status is at any given time. Yes, it is doable, but man it's like a brick wall for anyone who is casually enjoying the game and isn't interested in doing some insane grind at that point.

This seems...misguided.

I'm seeing similar people pissed across Reddit, Twitter, and Discord as more and more people hit this area. It has to be one of the more baffling design decisions I have ever seen in a video game. It completely kills any momentum in the game's story, and it really hinders enjoyment of the game.

Yep I dunno what the fuck they were thinking tbh. You can "track" the grinding in the challenges > expeditions menu of the cortex but...they don't appear on the screen when you're actually playing.

So. fucking. stupid. This is basic shit, I don't get how they're getting it wrong and making proceeding a chore.

EDIT: I see others are hitting the same area, this is fucking terrible and making it a tough proposition to continue tbh.

I think the grind, tracking or not, would be awful. But given there's no decent ways to track it makes it even worse. It really is absolutely unacceptable for AAA game in 2019.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The moment-to-moment gameplay is alot of fun, but man does this game lack any sort of flow.
After each mission theres a billion loading screens, tons of pretty boring dialogue etc.

This was my issue with the demo but being a demo I had hoped the flow was fixed in the final version when you can play with every feature unlocked. It felt like the game needed more time to just figure things out.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Hey how much of the game is actually "playable" at the playable part of the download. I have slow-ass internet so it won't be done for like 6 hours but I could theoretically play some of the game. How much is there before it's done downloading?

BioZilla

Jan 29, 2018
Why are you so pressed?

I just finished the second tutorial mission and they refer to the face/callsign selection "character customization" so I sincerely doubt they said there wouldn't be character customization in the game- considering they refer to this as character customization. I've played every BioWare game since KOTOR and you know what they all had? Lol at you telling me what I should or shouldn't assume.

Why are YOU getting so salty? Just chill out, I am being completely calm and stating my opinion. That's all. No need to get condescending.

"Lol at you telling me what I should or shouldn't assume." -- Now now, no need to be so conceited. It's called having a discussion/debate.

I'm glad you've played every BioWare game, as have I. All the way back to the mid 90s BEFORE KOTOR. I have also experienced a few select BioWare titles that did not have an in depth character creation. Not every title they develop must follow some strict guidelines in their development process, that's how developers become stagnant and tired. Look at how Ubisoft has handled Far Cry/Assassin's Creed. Even they finally broke the mold to try new things.

I'm sorry this game is missing character creation, but that's just how it is. It's pretty obvious in a game that is strictly defined by Javelin customization (which was shown long ago), as well as the primary upgrade path you follow.. that you wouldn't be seeing your character much at all. They have stated this. How would that make sense anyways, if most of the time your conversation is done via first person?

Here is one of the MANY SOURCES stating this information. I would assume as a dedicated BioWare fan, you are fully aware of this - despite your response.

Source: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/12/11/bioware-anthem-character-customization-options/

I'll let you find the livestream yourself when they were doing Q&A's and reveals for the last few months constantly. This was also apparent in the demos as well. As well as the multiple tweets, different replies available via Reddit - etc.

I think you're making a big stink out of this, and getting angry purely out of being conditioned. I'm sorry, but I'd prefer to let devs try something new and express their ideas elsewhere. They've clearly done a great job with the Javelin customization.. so it wasn't wasted efforts. It's not like they completely omit any sort of customization.

You do you though. If you're just going to continue to reply like a child, please refrain from doing so at all. If you would like to have a debate without getting hot headed and passive aggressive, feel free.

EDIT: As for the wording of the menu, I'm sorry they did not choose proper wording for the selection. At most, I would agree it should be switched to "Character appearance".

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
Been working all day, haven't had a chance to even check on the thread but how is reception so far? Is the story actually good? I know that performance has been increased but haven't had a change to check impressions on the actual game and gameplay.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm halfway through the video and they're not impressed with it.

-Glitches
-UI is trash.
-Flight being restricted is annoying for them.
-Colorblind mode is garbage as it washes out the colors.
-Story is going in and out for them and they don't care. They feel the writing is bad.
-Powers seem more fun than shooting.
-Tarsis is annoying to deal with and they want they want movement speed upped. Tarsis in general is not interesting.
-"I don't feel the game has a ton of character."
Ok just finished the video impressions. Here are some additional comments from the GB crew.

-Animations feel fake and are akin to a stage performance.
-Mission design is bleh and feels repetitive.
-They really hated the writing and feel it's bad for a Bioware game.
-Worried about enemy design variations.
-Want more challenging encounters.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Question for all of y'all playing with randos: which suits are you seeing most often? For my first javelin I don't want to mirror others regardless of efficacy. Keep up some variety, you know?

I'm leaning towards the Storm but I have a feeling that everyone else is too.

How often do you folks get to try out other projects from around the company? I'm sure it's refreshing cuz you're otherwise so locked in on your own work for so long.

Storm by a mile.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
How often do you folks get to try out other projects from around the company? I'm sure it's refreshing cuz you're otherwise so locked in on your own work for so long.

Less than what we would like to. Being busy with projects, and running multiplayer games across continents during development requires quite a bit of planning and organisation, especially when not all systems might be in.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok just finished the video impressions. Here are some additional comments from the GB crew.

-Animations feel fake and are akin to a stage performance.
-Mission design is bleh and feels repetitive.
-They really hated the writing and feel it's bad for a Bioware game.
-Worried about enemy design variations.
-Want more challenging encounters.
No lies detected.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm seeing similar people pissed across Reddit, Twitter, and Discord as more and more people hit this area. It has to be one of the more baffling design decisions I have ever seen in a video game. It completely kills any momentum in the game's story, and it really hinders enjoyment of the game.
That feels like an intentional way of stalling a player's progress because of a lack of content. They're worried people will blow through the missions so how do you slow them down? By giving them a bunch of tasks to do that eat up chunks of time and are hard to track.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say, the game is feeling really repetitive. 6 hours in and there has been almost no variation in the mission structure so far.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

d4fc10aae536c63ccdc480c524065944b10dd24bd41ec8b9c0a0fba3d950d77e.jpg

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm halfway through the video and they're not impressed with it.

-Powers seem more fun than shooting.

I actually said this during the demo. I wasn't that impresseed with any of the weapons or the sounds of them and thought shit they should have just went full on with powers in this game. That was the most exciting part of the combat. Should have went L1/R1/R2/L2 for different powers that you could mix and match plus a super. Just throw the guns in the garbage.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Yea that fetch quest was fucking dumb. I finished it about an hour ago and it took me almost 3 hours to do it. It literally almost made me turn the game off.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
After messing with the Trial for 2 hours it's definitely better than unplayable, but it's some of the worst mouse controls I've experienced in a while. Shooting and flying are manageable, but swimming just has the camera spazzing out all over the place as the reticle seems more like its just taking my suggestions instead of my direct input.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I am there too.
There seems to be a way to track it via the codex (go to feats section), but it doesn't actually show you the requirements for each specific one, simply the progress you've made on the feat that is related to it.
This seems like really bad game design from a game that was enjoyable up until this point.

Does it carry on tracking if you quit the game? Or is it expecting you to do all that in one single free play session?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Well they didn't want anyone getting through the whole story with the 10 hour trial, did they? lol

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, I keep crashing and now there's a new problem where I can't rejoin my own friends game because it's private.
1; It's not, it's free roam public and 2; even if it was I was part of the damned team.

Also no news about why servers are coming down, for how long.....

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
Watching Seagull salvage items one by one is excruciating. Marking items as junk takes longer than actually salvaging.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018

Without context, that sounds horrible. But for me, it would depend how long that took. If it was total like 2 hours, I think that's fine. Basically just forces you to check out the freeplay section of the game. Not the design I would have gone with, though.