• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Ranger

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • Colossus

Votes: 254 25.8%
  • Storm

Votes: 330 33.6%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 200 20.3%

• Total voters

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Eh, if the $10 skin only takes a few hours of normal play I don't think it'll be anything to shit ourselves over. I doubt it'll only be a "few hours" of normal play though, so.

Sure. If it takes an hour or two of playing to get a skin that would be fine. Probably more like 150 but I guess we'll see

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
How long will it take to buy a skin with ingame currency in this $60 game?
By default all colours can be applied to your Javelin. You can also get skins/armor styles and such from some missions and they aren't purchasable at all. The purchasable cosmetics (with both ingame currency and purchasable currency) - we have no idea about cost on yet. But there are lots of ways to get A LOT of ingame currency fast, especially with the alliance system with rewards you with coin based on how much others on your friends list have done; so if you have a bunch of people on your friends list playing you'll get a bonus amount of ingame currency. Devs also said they start you with a good amount of this ingame currency too.

Currently all we can do is speculate on the cost of the shards and how many shards may be needed per cosmetic or cosmetic set. If the MTX do launch with the game tomorrow then I'm sure that these will be a part of the discussion - probably a very vocal part of the discussion. I can see a full cosmetic armor set being $10 and then maybe each part is $3 separately - meaning you'd save $2 if you bought it in the pack rather than separate. The shader materials and vinyls I can see being anywhere from $1 to $5 each depending on the rarity, looks and such. What is good is that you can preview and see what the things you buying look like before you commit too.

And like I said, the ingame currency seems plentiful, especially in the endgame so the shards/$ are just an option for people who want the cosmetics quickly to style their javelin a certain way.

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Btw do we know what the banner preorder thing is? I don't remember that being in the demo?

I believe when you get the legion of dawn edition you get the founder banner.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope there are armor options to make your suit look very rusty/scrap/broken down piece of shit.

I fricking love junkyard looking mechs and exosuits. Dull brown colors and ruined/faded aesthetics all the way.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, if the $10 skin only takes a few hours of normal play I don't think it'll be anything to shit ourselves over. I doubt it'll only be a "few hours" of normal play though, so.
I think the combination of a currency grind along with timed store items will push people to pay. While we don't know what the cost vs time investment will be at the moment I'm sure EA does and I have little faith in them taking a fair approach to the issue.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
There are rusted/worn options to customize your Javelin in the Forge.
I think there was this option in the demo.
Nice.

7Mq6wM3.gif

Oct 27, 2017
is anyone else in here going to be playing Anthem as a solo player?
I intend to spend the vast majority either solo or with matchmade groups of randos who I'll neither talk or listen to. That's how I love playing looter shooters. Put on a podcast/youtube/audiobook and go into zen mode. My brother and some of his chums will be playing come the 22nd as well, so I'll play with them when the opportunity presents itself.

The great news, folks? The inspectors we were expecting to show up tomorrow aren't coming at all so I'm turning this into a 3 day weekend (Oh wait, I mean I'm "working from home" tomorrow!)

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Btw do we know what the banner preorder thing is? I don't remember that being in the demo?

I believe when you get the legion of dawn edition you get the founder banner.
You hold down Y (xbox controller) over your name on the lobby/exhibition screen and you can choose a banner/background to appear behind your name. It was in the Demo too but I didn't see people use it really. I always had mine set though.

Let me see if I took a screenshot of it or not... Nope doesn't look like I took one, if I find an image showing it I'll make sure to post it.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
You hold down Y (xbox controller) over your name on the lobby/exhibition screen and you can choose a banner/background to appear behind your name. It was in the Demo too but I didn't see people use it really. I always had mine set though.

Let me see if I took a screenshot of it or not... Nope doesn't look like I took one, if I find an image showing it I'll make sure to post it.

Hmmm I had no idea you could even do this. I'm guessing not many others did either.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
By default all colours can be applied to your Javelin. You can also get skins/armor styles and such from some missions and they aren't purchasable at all. The purchasable cosmetics (with both ingame currency and purchasable currency) - we have no idea about cost on yet. But there are lots of ways to get A LOT of ingame currency fast, especially with the alliance system with rewards you with coin based on how much others on your friends list have done; so if you have a bunch of people on your friends list playing you'll get a bonus amount of ingame currency. Devs also said they start you with a good amount of this ingame currency too.

Currently all we can do is speculate on the cost of the shards and how many shards may be needed per cosmetic or cosmetic set. If the MTX do launch with the game tomorrow then I'm sure that these will be a part of the discussion - probably a very vocal part of the discussion. I can see a full cosmetic armor set being $10 and then maybe each part is $3 separately - meaning you'd save $2 if you bought it in the pack rather than separate. The shader materials and vinyls I can see being anywhere from $1 to $5 each depending on the rarity, looks and such. What is good is that you can preview and see what the things you buying look like before you commit too.

And like I said, the ingame currency seems plentiful, especially in the endgame so the shards/$ are just an option for people who want the cosmetics quickly to style their javelin a certain way.

What stops me from buying the game at launch, (apart from technical issues and lack of content) is whether or not I can make the same character I had during the beta. That didn't cost me anything and it looked pretty decent but I don't know if I'd have to pay up to get the shaders and stuff or make do with a shitty looking character. I enjoyed the gameplay and the story looked like it might be interesting but buying an EA or Bioware game on day 1 is not something I'd risk my money on.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
What stops me from buying the game at launch, (apart from technical issues and lack of content) is whether or not I can make the same character I had during the beta. That didn't cost me anything and it looked pretty decent but I don't know if I'd have to pay up to get the shaders and stuff or make do with a shitty looking character. I enjoyed the gameplay and the story looked like it might be interesting but buying an EA or Bioware game on day 1 is not something I'd risk my money on.
I too, am interested in seeing which materials and such are available at launch. I loved some of the ways I could make my Javelins look in the demo, so I hope the same thing. I guess we'll find out tomorrow - and you should be able to know by launch too. We'll be posting in here, no doubt sharing images of all facets of the game.
Hmmm I had no idea you could even do this. I'm guessing not many others did either.
Yeah, the people I was playing with were very confused by my flashy banner behind my name on the expedition screen, I had to explain how to add one for themselves too.

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

Oh that's cool, didn't know you could do that.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Only thing the Mtx have at the moment are there aren't any loot boxes. In games like destiny and over watch you can spend a ton of money and not get what you want. That said dunno how much skins and stuff are in something like fortnite but I hope they are less then that since you have to buy Anthem. Personally the color and textures should keep me happy until I earn enough in game cash for a skin or 2.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think we'll be seeing reviews next week from any outlet that wants to review the PC version. The challenge is that won't cover things like how it performs on PS4.

On XB, I doubt anyone will review it based on Play First Trial...

It comes down to whether or not EA gives the press review copies on console before the 22nd. And even then, the servers won't have anyone on them to play with.

The staggered launch is a bit of a gong show imo. I mean, it's even debatable if the early Premiere access benefit is a good idea - I guess it depends if those people sub longer than a month.

The people that have EA Access/Origin Basic will be on. I doubt every person that has EA Access/Origin Basic will be using all 10 hours on launch day. I have a few people that are away all weekend and wont be able to play until after Tuesday to do the 10 hour program. The EA Access/Origin Basic servers are not separate from the official launch date servers.

I am sure that EA most likely has a review embargo. What we also know is that the 15th version has the latest patch, but there is another patch scheduled for the launch (22nd) version as well with additional fixes/tweaks.

This will be an interesting game for outlets to review with it coming in as hot as it is with already announced patches.

Apr 8, 2018
Has there been any word on how we'll be able to obtain the Mass Effect N7 skins? Would be nice if it was some type of legacy reward for those who played a Mass Effect game.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
We currently do not know what the $ to shard cost is, nor do we know the shard cost per item in the store at launch. We do know that everything can be bought with the ingame currency (coin) and nothing requires the shards (purchasable currency). Some people are still speculating that the MTX's won't even be in the early access game tomorrow, but we'll have to wait until then to find out. We'll know for sure one way or the other in 14 hours when the game unlocks.

We have seen the most current shard/coin ratio though. It's at 1:20. Source: that ghostrobo stream of the early hours. Subject to change perhaps, but the numbers are there.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Really curious what performance is like in the final product for Xbox one X

Same for me. I think that the devs being cagey and not coming out and saying it is makes me worry. What they have said is that it has improved from the Demo, but that can mean almost anything from it being locked frame rate or a slight improvement from the demo. I have EA Access and will check it out sometime tomorrow. But it will really come down to sites like DF to really test frame rate. I hope they have a early DF look using the EA Access/Origin Basic versions and then a update when the game actually launches.

My hope is that they locked it down and it will feel good. The demo was from what i have heard a few months old and optimizations to beef up frame rate and other issues are done towards the end of the dev cycle. So hoping for the best.

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, Game Ready Drivers from Nvidia are available for the EA Premier version of Anthem. Just downloaded and installed, hopefully these drivers are stable.

Oct 26, 2017
Same for me. I think that the devs being cagey and not coming out and saying it is makes me worry. What they have said is that it has improved from the Demo, but that can mean almost anything from it being locked frame rate or a slight improvement from the demo. I have EA Access and will check it out sometime tomorrow. But it will really come down to sites like DF to really test frame rate. I hope they have a early DF look using the EA Access/Origin Basic versions and then a update when the game actually launches.

My hope is that they locked it down and it will feel good. The demo was from what i have heard a few months old and optimizations to beef up frame rate and other issues are done towards the end of the dev cycle. So hoping for the best.

Agreed. Are Xbox owners getting early access with EA access or is that PC only?

Oct 30, 2017

I'm betting your looking at $15 to $20 for high end cosmetics and 5 to 10 for everything else. I'm looking forward to finding out more tomorrow from the people who have access to it, but my money is on prices being to high and the in game time being a time consuming grind.

If you can earn everything in a reasonable amount of time, that would be a first for games. I know Apex and Fortnite are free but Call of duty shares the same pricing and it isn't, and I fully expect to see Anthem follow the exact same pricing at first to try and get away with it. Apex also has a slow grind, so I also expect it to be similar. Again I know it's free to play, but I really don't think matters much to EA when they have people already used to these types of mechanics and pricing on other games.

I also dont think you'll see anything under $3. I guess now we wait and see. Should be interesting. Hoping for reasonable pricing so I can give them cash.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have such a hard time playing too much of the PC version, and the Xbox trial...because I'm actually gonna main game play it on PS4 cause that's where my friends will play it.

This next week is gonna be hard to only give myself a taste...haha.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
The people that have EA Access/Origin Basic will be on. I doubt every person that has EA Access/Origin Basic will be using all 10 hours on launch day. I have a few people that are away all weekend and wont be able to play until after Tuesday to do the 10 hour program. The EA Access/Origin Basic servers are not separate from the official launch date servers.

I am sure that EA most likely has a review embargo. What we also know is that the 15th version has the latest patch, but there is another patch scheduled for the launch (22nd) version as well with additional fixes/tweaks.

This will be an interesting game for outlets to review with it coming in as hot as it is with already announced patches.
Technically I don't think they can embargo press who obtain the game via Origin Premiere? I thought it only applies to press given early copies.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to have such a hard time playing too much of the PC version, and the Xbox trial...because I'm actually gonna main game play it on PS4 cause that's where my friends will play it.

This next week is gonna be hard to only give myself a taste...haha.

At least you're going to have a taste.

:'(

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
I really hope there are armor options to make your suit look very rusty/scrap/broken down piece of shit.

I fricking love junkyard looking mechs and exosuits. Dull brown colors and ruined/faded aesthetics all the way.

They had several different types of old in the beta like that. From just time worn but taken care of to rusty. "New" is also a different shader than the default, so your default doesn't look like it's fresh off the assembly line.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Technically I don't think they can embargo press who obtain the game via Origin Premiere? I thought it only applies to press given early copies.

That is true. I did not think about that angle with Origin Premier version. This will be interesting.

The other thing that we have not got any confirmation is with the EA Access/Origin Basic versions with the 10 hours is if it is a full 10 hours or until you get to a certain point in the game? I have played a few EA Access 10 hours trials where I got to a point in the game where it cut me off even though I was only 5 hours into the 10 hours. With some games, they lock it off when you hit a certain point. Not sure if this will apply to Anthem or not.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, Game Ready Drivers from Nvidia are available for the EA Premier version of Anthem. Just downloaded and installed, hopefully these drivers are stable.

Where is it listed for Anthem? This is all I'm seeing.

Game Ready
Provides the optimal gaming experience when using DLSS and Ray Tracing in Battlefield V and Metro Exodus.

The breakdown also just says SLI profiles for Anthem were added.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I really wish I could play tomorrow, I need a distraction from reality right now.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
For XBox owners can we initiate the download from our phones at work? Or do we have to do it from the console itself?

I leave for work at 7:0am pacific. I COULD try to grab it before i go, but i could see this being a little delayed. Hmmmmm. Decisions.....

betawaychill

Jun 6, 2018
For XBox owners can we initiate the download from our phones at work? Or do we have to do it from the console itself?

I leave for work at 7:0am pacific. I COULD try to grab it before i go, but i could see this being a little delayed. Hmmmmm. Decisions.....
If the console you want to install to is set as your home console, yes, from the app and the site, from what I remember.

I think you can push downloads to specific xboxes your account has been set up on, but that's thru the site only