• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, the release on the two major platforms and for PC users that actually bought the game will make it the full release. The vast majority have no way of actually getting to the game yet. Those who pre-ordered it don't have access yet. It's not launched.
This is a distinction without a difference. The game is fully playable to some subset of customers RIGHT NOW. All of their progress is going to be preserved for Friday. To them, there will be zero apparent change from Thursday to Friday. Mealy mouthed marketing speak aside, the game is out right now and has been since Friday, despite the fact that you might not be playing it yet.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This is a distinction without a difference. The game is fully playable to some subset of customers RIGHT NOW. All of their progress is going to be preserved for Friday. To them, there will be zero apparent change from Thursday to Friday. Mealy mouthed marketing speak aside, the game is out right now and has been since Friday, despite the fact that you might not be playing it yet.

Sure, but it's pretty clear that they're playing the game, wait for it, early. It's a choice they had and a choice they chose to do.

The actual release date of the game is not here yet.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I am playing it but I knew I was getting early access with all the problems that would entail. I'm also fully aware I haven't bought the game yet and the ones that actually have bought the game don't have access to it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it's pretty clear that they're playing the game, wait for it, early. It's a choice they had and a choice they chose to do.

The actual release date of the game is not here yet.
This is a paid opportunity to play full games in advance of their "official launch date", not a free beta test that customers or reviewers should forgive for being objectionable or riddled with bugs. People are paying for it, playing it, beating it, and uninstalling it already. If it doesn't stand up to criticism now, it wasn't prepared for its early release and thus should've never been released on that date. Simply put, regardless of how EA and Bioware want to phrase their staggered release date marketing, IF THE GAME WASN'T FIT FOR CONSUMER RELEASE ON FRIDAY, THAT'S ON THEM.

Steam's always been exceedingly clear to mark all of their Early Access games as being works in progress. EA and Origin haven't taken these same pains. They've sold EA Access, and Origin Access Premier and Basic as ways to play consumer ready games before an arbitrary "official release date", NOT ways to experience early builds and provide feedback.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I have an Xbox and have the game preordered. Please tell me how I can play right now without subbing to a service I don't want.
You can't.

Although I'm trying to figure out what your point is? Is it that the game hasn't released yet because you don't want to subscribe to the service it's released through? Or are you misinterpreting my "platforms that aren't PS4" as "all platforms that aren't PS4"? Or something else.

I'm kind of baffled why you're asking me how you can obtain a game for one of the platforms it hasn't released on yet. I get that you're trying to be clever but I've sat here for a few minutes now just trying to figure out why you'd reply to me with this.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Cx2E7fP.png

It should be the n°1 priority.
Sounds like DICE and Bioware have no idea what they are doing when it comes to UI and UX. Awful and obvious stuff there that should have been noted and stopped immediately when having play tests.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I don't even know why they are so wishy-washy about answering the text-chat issue, since they HAD been saying in multiple occasions there won't be text-chat. They kept using CVAA as a defense, but still so indecisive in their answers.

CVAA defense is such bullshit. BioWare is not a new company, and the industry had 8 years of waivers to come up with workarounds. It makes me a bit angry that people have venom towards a regulation whose whole point is making gaming more accessible to more people.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CVAA defense is such bullshit. BioWare is not a new company, and the industry had 8 years of waivers to come up with workarounds. It makes me a bit angry that people have venom towards a regulation whose whole point is making gaming more accessible to more people.
Respawn seems to have had no issue complying. Moonbase Alpha god knows how many years ago managed TTS in a game with a shoestring budget. There's zero attempt to make the game accessible for deaf players or mute players who can't rely on voice coms. CVAA defense has always rung hollow.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Good things come to those who wait. My only annoyance with this though goes out to those who got to play the game early on EA Access and how it seems more like Anthem was almost like a "last minute Beta" to get ready for the actual launch of the game. Not exactly the best message to send people. Play a game that might not work fully until it is available for everyone?

I'm excited for this Friday, and hopefully Anthem will have a successful launch.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why release the game without that amount of fixes? Is not gonna change radically the game and people's thoughts about it, but that amount of bug fixes and QoL improvements would have helped the game considerably.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why release the game without that amount of fixes? Is not gonna change radically the game and people's thoughts about it, but that amount of bug fixes and QoL improvements would have helped the game considerably.
Honestly the scope of the patch isn't the problem. There are games that ahve had patches that large or larger post launch that were good games before and after. The problems in this game are more deeply rooted and perhaps cannot or will not be addressed. When Bioware actually made good on their promises to try to drastically improve the ME3 ending cutscenes, I was astonished. These problems are bigger and more deeply rooted than those, and I don't see them remedying it the same way. I'd love to be wrong though.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
You mean the people who will buy the actually finished version of Anthem in a year or so?

In fairness, isn't that the case with some games? One could point towards Destiny 2 and have that ring true, but for myself, I didn't see a need to get EA access to get the game a week early. And according to the patch notes, apparently it was the right choice. As for a finished version of the game in a year or so, I can't really say since it isn't like I can tell you right now that the game will be better by this time next year.

But... if we want to use a popular game from last year and apply it here, I'd say it would be better to get it now rather than wait since events that might come up might not always be available and you would be missing out. At least the appreciation event was fun for Monster Hunter World. ^__^

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It's really crazy that anyone plays these games on day one now. You get the worst unpatched experience as your $60 experience.

Edit - fixed for the preorder misinformation.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
There's already a reason to wait on new releases because of quick sale prices and bug fixes that get patched, but now even people who preorder for early soft releases get even more screwed when day 1 patches aren't ready on their release day.

Preorders have never been more of a scam and waste of money.
You don't get it from pre-order. You get it from subscribing to a service which gives you access to dozens of other games, as well as 10% off on all bought games. Early Access did not come with pre-order. Those who pre-ordered do not have access to the game on any platform, not even the 10 hr trial.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There's already a reason to wait on new releases because of quick sale prices and bug fixes that get patched, but now even people who preorder for early soft releases get even more screwed when day 1 patches aren't ready on their release day.

Preorders have never been more of a scam and waste of money.

What game let you play early for preordering?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I can't believe they decided to call it "the early access version of our game". Fuck them all.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
EA has sent a note to reviewers with the changes, but they've also asked in that note for reviewers to play the version with the day one patch before publishing their reviews.

EA really deserves to eat shit here. Reviewers should tell them to fuck off. You can't make a cynical play at wrenching extra dollars out of your customers by peddling unfinished products and be exempt from evaluation of those products.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This is a paid opportunity to play full games in advance of their "official launch date", not a free beta test that customers or reviewers should forgive for being objectionable or riddled with bugs. People are paying for it, playing it, beating it, and uninstalling it already. If it doesn't stand up to criticism now, it wasn't prepared for its early release and thus should've never been released on that date. Simply put, regardless of how EA and Bioware want to phrase their staggered release date marketing, IF THE GAME WASN'T FIT FOR CONSUMER RELEASE ON FRIDAY, THAT'S ON THEM.

Steam's always been exceedingly clear to mark all of their Early Access games as being works in progress. EA and Origin haven't taken these same pains. They've sold EA Access, and Origin Access Premier and Basic as ways to play consumer ready games before an arbitrary "official release date", NOT ways to experience early builds and provide feedback.

I'm not saying you can't criticize the game. I'm saying that calling this patch a "day 8 patch", or anything other than a day 1 patch is just stupidity. Simply because a small number of people can play the game early, doesn't mean the game is fully released.

And regardless, the wording is still very much "play early".
You can't.

Although I'm trying to figure out what your point is? Is it that the game hasn't released yet because you don't want to subscribe to the service it's released through? Or are you misinterpreting my "platforms that aren't PS4" as "all platforms that aren't PS4"? Or something else.

I'm kind of baffled why you're asking me how you can obtain a game for one of the platforms it hasn't released on yet. I get that you're trying to be clever but I've sat here for a few minutes now just trying to figure out why you'd reply to me with this.

What I'm saying is that having a game be available for a small subset of people doesn't mean the game is fully released. It's fairly obvious to anyone playing that they're playing the game early. That doesn't mean the game and features shouldn't be criticized, but it does mean that the "Day 1" patch is still very much Day 1.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's true, though?

Only premier subscriber who can play early. Not even pre-orders can play this early.

They have access to the full game early, there is no "early access version" (like a Steam Early Access). They released a buggy game and are now trying to get away with it. There is a reason no game released this way was called "early access version", because it clearly isn't.

From their website:
Full access to our games starting at least five days before they release. That's right, no more gated trials – you get the full games, first.

Early Access version? Please, stop.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They have access to the full game early, there is no "early access version" (like a Steam Early Access). They released a buggy game and are now trying to get away with it. There is a reason no game released this way was called "early access version", because it clearly isn't.
It's all up to them to call the current version as early access, because it literally is. But believe me, the 'full version' that's going to live for everyone later this week won't be all that much better than this.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you can't criticize the game. I'm saying that calling this patch a "day 8 patch", or anything other than a day 1 patch is just stupidity. Simply because a small number of people can play the game early, doesn't mean the game is fully released.

And regardless, the wording is still very much "play early".
Then you're arguing that people shouldn't be pithy. If the game is out for just one paying customer, in a very real way, the game is out. Even if the release date is staggered. This was the game's debut, and it speaks for itself.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's all up to them to call the current version as early access, because it literally is. But believe me, the 'full version' that's going to live for everyone later this week won't be all that much better than this.
They can call it whatever they want, and apparently lots of people will believe their version lol. If it was an early access version, aka "unfinished product", "beta", they would put it clearly in the Origins Access Premier page. Truth is their own site says the opposite...

Full access to our games starting at least five days before they release. That's right, no more gated trials – you get the full games, first.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Patch is up. On both PC and Xbox. On my Xbox I checked for updates and nothing showed that needed to be updated, but I tried to launch the game and then it said there was an update.

5.2gb on Xbox One X

Shogeki

Banned
Oct 15, 2018
How are people now crying that the game is being fixed and worked on? This forum is kind of ridiculous tbh. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
He's not wrong. Anthem is fundamentally bad. Like, there's a huge list of technical issues that can be addressed as evidenced by this patch alone, but that doesn't fix the underlying game. It's barren and incredibly bland at it's best. The thing you do in the first hour is the thing you're still doing at the end of the game. The loot is horrifically uninteresting, and the way the drops work is terrible. The combat is incredibly boring; enemy AI is wholly uninteresting and the shooting feels bad. Combos aren't explained by the game at all, and even when you do get around to figuring out how that system works it doesn't matter. There's no incentive to use it really, and using it isn't fun.

Anthem is super barebones. And as these patch notes detail, kind of broken in a lot of ways!
I think there's a fundamental disconnect between people's expectations and what the game has been advertised to be. The amount of complaining I've seen makes it sound worse than my own experience with the alpha.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The new menu is refreshing but I'm not noticing anything substantial re: load times yet. About to boot into a stronghold.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how games as a service works. Next you going to argue that no one should play MMOs since it's constantly not finished.

The hot takes in this thread and the OT is pathetic and sad.

Bollocks, that's exactly how GAAS work. I bought The Division deluxe edition for twenty quid last June. I got a superior experience for a significantly reduced price. How is that anything other than "good things coming to those who wait"?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
EA has sent a note to reviewers with the changes, but they've also asked in that note for reviewers to play the version with the day one patch before publishing their reviews.

Here in Denmark they simply sent the mail with the info on the day one patch and asked if we wanted to review the game later or not. We decided to push our review one week because I wanted to give our readers the most accurate description of the product they would be spending their hard earned money on.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Came here to see if the patch improved anything. Only see people complaining about calling this a day 1 patch.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It is techinally the full game though, myself and friends bypassed the timer and completed it. We've already achieved level 30, gear scores of 400+ along with playing GM 1-3 difficulty.
You're pretty fast, but kinda expected for a closed group. I've spent 25 hours and still level 15 and nowhere near the end of the story, let alone endgame. I've been playing mostly solo and doing every side mission I come across.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This is semantics?

I mean... isn't it common knowledge that the "final bits" delivered on discs is often weeks or months out of date by the time it hits the shelves? Some games "go gold" closer to release than others. Is it not so big a stretch to consider that the bits on the disc are similar if not identical to the bits in the digital versions that exist on their respective marketplaces' servers prior to launch? (hence preloading).

If that is the case, then it should be obvious to people that these "day 1/day 8" patches - that are almost ALWAYS delivered with games these days - aren't going to be part of the picture until launch? Was Destiny even playable a week early for reviewers?

I dunno. I do think EA need to adjust the marketing/asterisks. But this shouldn't be surprising given what we know. EA just happen to be one of the few publishers that sell this sort of early access pre-launch thing.