• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
How many players can be in the same space, max?

I believe 4.

Hopefully that means when in free roam it will use some sort of instancing because I'd hate to come across a hard event but the 3 other people I got randomly chosen to play with are off also doing their own thing. But there's no really specifics I can find and I worry it has no modern mechanic, just slam you in a world with randoms and get on with it.

But this is a multiplayer game which is also releasing on PC with no text chat, a mistake made by D2 if I recall as well.
I'm not buying into regulations stating text chat must have Text-to-Speech for accessibility as an excuse to delaying it, because now you're making a game even less accessible by not having it for other disabilities. That's like cutting your nose off to spite the face as they say.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I believe 4.

Hopefully that means when in free roam it will use some sort of instancing because I'd hate to come across a hard event but the 3 other people I got randomly chosen to play with are off also doing their own thing. But there's no really specifics I can find and I worry it has no modern mechanic, just slam you in a world with randoms and get on with it.

Oh God, that's how it's going to work, isn't it? I don't know if battlefield has phasing tech, but if not I doubt Bioware could even implement that. I'd applaud them if so. I guess they had to work around every problem because they couldn't build or use an engine designed for MMO gameplay.

The phrase "more fun with friends" the developers have been saying will really ring true I think. I honestly didn't think about phasing and the whole free roam and events thing.

Thankfully there's a demo coming and some user impressions before launch.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
I just watched a few gameplay videos, and yikes. Everything looks weightless and floaty, nothing has any impact to it. Environments look totally generic. It's Destiny minus, you know, what makes Destiny good.

This is what has me worried. It feels good to play the character but to use it doesnt feel so good. Someone told me they tried the game and it felt like shooting/killing something just wasnt that good. Destiny for example, when you headshot something their head pop, some kind of smoke comes out of it, the npc screams and there's a poping sound.
All this makes for a really satisfying feedback to the player. In Anthem not so much. There's a serious lack of feedback from the enemies. Also, some of them just stand there, from that person's experience and from these recent videos.

This was also a problem with ME. And it feels like it's still here. Doesn't make the game horrible, no. It's still a lot of fun to play but it just means that Destiny will still be king in the gameplay aspect.

Maybe Anthem can compensate by having more content (which isnt difficult, at all).

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
so, to summarize: this game has no other players in the world when roaming solo and there are 4 players max in an instance when you matchmake? with "social spaces" devoid of players? generally, it is like Monster Hunter World?

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Guys I think we need to stop comparing it to Destiny now. This game is straight Warframe.

All of that footage looked like a potential Warframe sequel or expansion, made by a company that didn't know Warframe existed.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
so, to summarize: this game has no other players in the world when roaming solo and there are 4 players max in an instance when you matchmake? with "social spaces" devoid of players? generally, it is like Monster Hunter World?
Yes. You can start a mission solo in a private session if you want, or create/find open sessions to play with others.

Guys I think we need to stop comparing it to Destiny now. This game is straight Warframe.

All of that footage looked like a potential Warframe sequel or expansion, made by a company that didn't know Warframe existed.
That's the thing. People who keep comparing it to Destiny didn't know that Warframe exist.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. You can start a mission solo in a private session if you want, or create/find open sessions to play with others.

That's the thing. People who keep comparing it to Destiny didn't know that Warframe exist.

Like i said before. People see a looter shooter and then compare it right away to the most well known out there. Where the game is way more Warframe/Monster Hunter.
But they see some futuristic game and think right away Destiny. Where the biggest difference is that Destiny is first person and this one third person. And thats just the start.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This must be the case because I don't know how anyone in this thread can look at that footage with a straight face and think of Destiny before Warframe if they are aware of both games.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's much more like monster hunter world. This game plays, operates and handles loot nothing like destiny. The comparisons literally stop at the aesthetic level.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think MHW is a good comparison either, maybe it's similar on structure and progression, but gameplay wise they couldn't be more different.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Looking at this videos, no one will play the tank class lol
Are you sure?

JVuLr7N.png

Like i said before. People see a looter shooter and then compare it right away to the most well known out there. Where the game is way more Warframe/Monster Hunter.
But they see some futuristic game and think right away Destiny. Where the biggest difference is that Destiny is first person and this one third person. And thats just the start.
Yes it's much more like monster hunter world. This game plays, operates and handles loot nothing like destiny. The comparisons literally stop at the aesthetic level.
Yup yup.

I don't think MHW is a good comparison either, maybe it's similar on structure and progression, but gameplay wise they couldn't be more different.
Yeah, Anthem is a combination of various games and genres, from Destiny, Warframe, to Diablo and MH World.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
How the game operates itself is akin to monster hunter world. How the game handles loot is like diablo. How the game plays is very unique with a hint of mass effect 3. The point is, Destiny is the incorrect comparison but is literally the only thing people say on this forum and the internet.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure?

JVuLr7N.png

Yup yup.

Yeah, Anthem is a combination of various games and genres, from Destiny, Warframe, to Diablo and MH World.

Not sure how old that poll is, but these new gameplay videos are making look the other classes way more flashy and fun, than colossus one.

Armor wise too, of course that "no one will play it" it's an exaggeration but what I mean is that won't be very popular. Tank classes are already not very popular on trinity systems and this one looks even less appealing. My 2 cents.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I'm going to need to see a lot more if I'm to be convinced that it has any of those other games' aspects in it. I mainly see Warframe.

How the game operates itself is akin to monster hunter world. How the game handles loot is like diablo. How the game plays is very unique with a hint of mass effect 3. The point is, Destiny is the incorrect comparison but is literally the only thing people say on this forum and the internet.

Just show those individuals a clip of Warframe gameplay and Anthem side by side.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not sure how old that poll is, but these new gameplay videos are making look the other classes way more flashy and fun, than colossus one.

Armor wise too, of course that "no one will play it" it's an exaggeration but what I mean is that won't be very popular. Tank classes are already not very popular on trinity systems and this one looks even less appealing. My 2 cents.
Yeah, I do agree that tank class is always the less popular in every MMO ever. But I think they managed to make the colossus appealing, from the very different physical build to exclusive access to heavy weaponry that no other javelin can access.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Believe me for high level gameplay the collossus is gonna be popular and needed. Sure Interceptor looks shiny. But doubt a melee "class" is gonna be very good choice for high level.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait. It's a game that my wife and I are looking forward to, and I'm sure we both will sink thousands of hours into it like we did Destiny. Speaking of Destiny, we both are ready to move on. Just waiting on the right game to push us over the edge. We both are hoping Anthem is that game (please be good).

EDIT: I'll be playing the Colossus. It's tank or bust for me. I'm sure my wife will play the interceptor, as she digs the rogue type classes.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Quite a lot of people like to play shooty classes in shooters. Soldier was much the most popular class in Mass Effect, despite the cool tricks being mostly in other classes.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i wish the combat looked more engaging. it's just mindless enemies running around like headless chickens while you slap them around. super trivial.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i wish the combat looked more engaging. it's just mindless enemies running around like headless chickens while you slap them around. super trivial.
Pretty much the first mission on easy difficulty. Of course it will be trivial early on. Don't want players getting nuked and moaning that the game is too hard.

Also, it's probably a big different if you solo and all the enemies focus on you and not getting Ulted by 4 players.

Deleted member 22070

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just dawned on me watching the storm gameplay, but I just realized (despite having played the closed alpha but it was so limited it didn't jump on me right away) : they basically took ME:3's multiplayer and made a whole game out of it. I mean : the storm with his biotic-like powers, the interceptor with his vanguard-like (aka the GOAT) powers, the ranger with his more commando-like powers etc. and, that's, like...awesome ?!

Even the combo possibilities and all, it seems like they totally capitalized on the success of the ME:3 multiplayer mode and decided to go from there and expand it into a new game with even more RPG-like elements, a new world and everything. So hyped.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It just dawned on me watching the storm gameplay, but I just realized (despite having played the closed alpha but it was so limited it didn't jump on me right away) : they basically took ME:3's multiplayer and made a whole game out of it. I mean : the storm with his biotic-like powers, the interceptor with his vanguard-like (aka the GOAT) powers, the ranger with his more commando-like powers etc. and, that's, like...awesome ?!

Even the combo possibilities and all, it seems like they totally capitalized on the success of the ME:3 multiplayer mode and decided to go from there and expand it into a new game with even more RPG-like elements, a new world and everything. So hyped.

It's basically ME: Andromeda's combat amped up to 11 with mech suits. I know people didn't like Andromeda but its main redeeming factor was that it had some really fun combat and damn near improved on ME3's multiplayer in every way.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the appeal of The Division in terms of loot shooters. I like weapon variety, clothing variety, ability variety, environment variety, and enemy variety. The Division's setting prevents it from providing any of that.

Correct in part but it is the only military shooter in this space set in a familiar citie(s). The Division scratches a very different itch and their matchmaking makes for a more inclusive PvE experience. Also, going into the dark zone those first few weeks was one of the most tense and thrilling experiences this gen. Unfortunately it quickly went to shit due to cheaters and some poor gear design on their part.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Believe me for high level gameplay the collossus is gonna be popular and needed. Sure Interceptor looks shiny. But doubt a melee "class" is gonna be very good choice for high level.
Tanks class is always needed at endgame, but they're still not popular. The main reason is that a tank has huge responsibilities to keep the party alive, and people prefer DPS class because it's the easiest role and DPS classes are usually cool.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States

The Colossus has really grown on me in the last month and I like them more everytime I see them and will probably be my 2nd unlocked Javelin. I generally like playing Rogue/Ninja type classes in game but the Interceptor is oddly the least appealing Javelin to me but maybe it is one of those things you just have to play to understand.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't look too terrible on a base Xbox. I thought Red Dead still looked and played really good, hopefully Anthem is similar. How have some of the other new Frostbite games been on the base consoles?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Does anyone have some detailed information on how loot does work in this game?
Here you go:
Item Rarity

The first major topic covered on the stream was rarities. Anthem will feature six item rarities (Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic, Masterwork, and Legendary) and they all work the way you would expect, with the exception of the last two. Masterwork gear is what you would normally consider Legendary gear to be and Legendary gear will basically just be a powered up version of the Masterwork stuff you'll be using. Item rarity is also somewhat gated by your level. The higher your level the more likely you are to find items of higher rarity. You're not likely to be running around in Epic gear at low level. Of course, tackling difficult content will also increase your chances of finding better loot.

Items generally work the same way across the lower rarity tiers with the only key difference being in how many affixes (called Inscriptions in Anthem) can be rolled onto the item. For example, a Firewall Mortar will always have its wall of flame effect no matter what rarity you find it at, but you'll be able to have more affixes on it in higher tiers.

This all changes once you get to Masterwork and Legendary gear. At these levels, a special property is added to the item on top of its base effect. We were shown a Masterwork Assault Launcher called Argo's Mace and this came with a bonus electric explosion on enemy defeat. A Legendary version of this item would be identical, with two key differences. The first is that it would be more powerful in terms of raw stats. The second is that its Inscription pool would be larger. A Legendary Argo's Mace could roll Inscriptions that you may not be able to find on a Masterwork version of the item.

Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/anthem/gener...vestream-recap-1000013287#ZJtAgFGCdyqHyDGb.99
More at the link.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying this couldn't ring true for the rest of the game, but this is literally the first mission in the game. I doubt they want enemies that will be doing back flips on you and shooting homing missiles while you are still trying to learn how to fly and hover

nosleep1138

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this too before I played the game. All I'll say is - Anthem plays better than it looks, for sure.
I'm just not sure how anyone can watch a clip and tell how it feels. Some of the guns sound really quite punchy to me. I watched an untimely alpha video and the AR in that was crunchy and slow firing. I guess I'm telling myself how they feel. šŸ˜‚ I can't wait to try them myself.

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so good, but I finally realize why I'm hesitant. I kept on hearing the Warframe comparison, "this game looks like X + Warframe" and I'm finally seeing it from the movement and the weightless gunplay. The guns don't look like there is any kick to them. Also so far the quests look like it is "Go to X, fight a wave, repeat 3 times." Which once I started noticing that pattern in Destiny I would understand which encounters I could totally run by.

I'm truly on the fence with this one.

nosleep1138

Oct 25, 2017
For me I draw the comparison because Destiny 2 is just something I've played pretty passionately for up to 1,000 hours. And it obviously strikes me as similar in a few very specific ways. The thing is I want this to do better and be better. I feel like it's time for another title worthy enough take that crown. For me personally there simply isn't enough room for both of these games.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I keep saying it. Before the alpha the gunplay was a concern also for me. But thats now gone.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I thought this too before I played the game. All I'll say is - Anthem plays better than it looks, for sure.
thanks for the good news but the lack of ragdoll or different dead animation is pretty clear on that video and i hate this aspects in every game when i have to shoot things...

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm just not sure how anyone can watch a clip and tell how it feels. Some of the guns sound really quite punchy to me. I watched an untimely alpha video and the AR in that was crunchy and slow firing. I can't wait to try them myself.
Oh hey Nosleep :D From D2 to Anthem? I can't wait to do the same myself. I'm excited for the Storm myself, just being a big floaty space wizard, priming enemies with my abilities so that my team mates do more damage to them sounds awesome to me.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
I keep saying it. Before the alpha the gunplay was a concern also for me. But thats now gone.
As someone who spent a good amount of hours (on PC) in the closed Alpha... i echo this.

My only "real" concern is now end-game content. I just hope there is loads to do immediately at elder-game (which is what they're calling it i believe). I dont want to have to wait for the "raids" to be added... but if i have to that wont be horrible as i'll be playing Division 2 as well. Overall Anthem is going to be a lot of fun for me personally!

nosleep1138

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey Nosleep :D From D2 to Anthem? I can't wait to do the same myself. I'm excited for the Storm myself, just being a big floaty space wizard, priming enemies with my abilities so that my team mates do more damage to them sounds awesome to me.
For sure. Firedragon? šŸ˜‚ I have to remember that I'll see a lot of us here as well. I'm so jazzed for this game. I've been following every trickle of info for the past few months. I have a really good feeling. We'll have to get up for some high level weekend stuff again.