• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Many people here are misunderstanding the concept of "free". Sure, it has no monetary price. However there's an opportunity cost of giving one's valuable free time to Anthem when it could be better spent elsewhere. If somebody was hungry, would they rather have a $10 sandwich or a *FREE* glass of rotten milk?

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that Anthem, even in it's state at launch was fine. Of course, 'fine' is well below expectations for a new AAA Bioware franchise, but the way people talk about it, you'd think it was one of the worst games ever made. FFXIV 1.0 it ain't.

Oct 27, 2017
Stop being weird OP. mS store often times throws in random codes with bundles, whether it be watchdogs, the crew etc. get a life

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Lol, what a thread backfire
When thread is so bad that you got banned for it

Last edited:

m23

Oct 25, 2017
e6a.jpg

Time is more precious and valuable than money.

I say, as I debate about how shitty Anthem is on an Internet forum.

If they are rebooting it, this is a smart play in some ways but also may turn people off if they don't like what they experience. It needs a lot of work in its current iteration. Hopefully it would live up to its potential with a restart.

I agree that time is more precious, but they aren't forcing you to play it right? If you have no interest in playing it, throw it to the side or give the code to someone.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I got witcher 3 for free in a bundle, surely it must mean cdpr were desperate!

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a dumb thread. I don't like Anthem or it's concept but really? It's a free code that doesn't have to be redeemed.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Many people here are misunderstanding the concept of "free". Sure, it has no monetary price. However there's an opportunity cost of giving one's valuable free time to Anthem when it could be better spent elsewhere. If somebody was hungry, would they rather have a $10 sandwich or a *FREE* glass of rotten milk?

Assuming this is actually serious, this is taking the preciousness of gamers to a whole new level.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Here is a free game that is in a decent enough state now.

OP: why are you doing this to meeeeeeee?!

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough. I think I'd probably give it a go if it were free.

Though playing an always online game that's in a bad place is really offputting. What if I liked it and they decide to pull the plug on the servers soon after? I liked both Battleborn and Lawbreakers, and look what happened there.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This culture of celebrating presumed flops of games one doesn't care about is something that eludes me so hard. Real sad stuff.
"How dare you enjoy something that some other people don't! Let's all laugh at and mock you!"

Yeah, I'll never understand the mentality. Every game is enjoyed by someone. No need for people to be rude about it.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
The thing is that Anthem, even in it's state at launch was fine. Of course, 'fine' is well below expectations for a new AAA Bioware franchise, but the way people talk about it, you'd think it was one of the worst games ever made. FFXIV 1.0 it ain't.

1.0 was pretty bad, but I'd still play it again if I was given a choice between it and Anthem.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, more or less. The core gameplay is fine, it just needs more content, along with some QOL changes and performance tweaking. It's certainly far from being total shit.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird definition of "bonus".

"Spam" would be more appropriate.
Is every free additional game included with bundles spam? No? Then why is this any different. If it's not something you'll play; fine. Don't play it. You're literally no worse off with the offer being presented.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
What? LOL.

It's a code. You are free to give it away or never even use it. Wow.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS are going hard with thier promotions and advertisment from what I've seen in UK. Most striking thing is that their message isn't Xbox One, its Gamepass across Xbox/PC/Tablet.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
MS are going hard with thier promotions and advertisment from what I've seen in UK. Most striking thing is that their message isn't Xbox One, its Gamepass across Xbox/PC/Tablet.
It's similar here in the US too. I've been seeing ads on TV for Game Pass pretty often.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Do you honestly not understand the concept of opportunity cost? It has nothing to do with "preciousness".

Of course I understand opportunity costs.

I'm saying it's phenomenally precious to suggest being given a free code for something is somehow egregious based on the chance you download it, play it, and say 'eh, that's not for me'. You must organise your time exceptionally rigidly. No, it's not 'free', and by that token nothing is ever without a cost. Sure, that's true, but that doesn't mean all costs are equal, etc, or worth getting wound up about.

Sorry, I don't meant to be personal, but this is taking an argument and running a looooong way to do... what?

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
OP is an embarrassment - attacking a free product then attacking others for not being offended by a free product lmao

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes think that people forget that there are human beings behind the the development of these games. I am no corporate apologist by any means, but I do feel for anyone who puts their heart into a game (or anything really), and for one reason or another expectations are not met and you're seen as a "failure."

Has there been a lot of mixed messaging in regards to this game? Indisputable. But the fact of the matter is that it's a free game and a chance to jump in for all curious parties, it can help boost the community, and is a good introduction before the launch of the update.

Literally no harm in this at all.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Of course I understand opportunity costs.

I'm saying it's phenomenally precious to suggest being given a free code for something is somehow egregious based on the chance you download it, play it, and say 'eh, that's not for me'. You must organise your time exceptionally rigidly. No, it's not 'free', and by that token nothing is ever without a cost. Sure, that's true, but that doesn't mean all costs are equal, etc, or worth getting wound up about.

Sorry, I don't meant to be personal, but this is taking an argument and running a looooong way to do... what?
I'm just saying that for a game like Anthem, it's not worth the time to download and try it. The same people saying "oh it's free, why complain?" won't be seen downloading and trying all of the free games on Steam. I'm not wound up about it, I just think it's funny that people think it's an automatic positive to receive any particular game for free. Some things in life that have a $0 price tag are worth leaving alone completely.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lets not be revisionist now. It wasn't 'fine' at launch at all - it was broken. I played it at launch and it was shambolic.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is every free additional game included with bundles spam? No? Then why is this any different. If it's not something you'll play; fine. Don't play it. You're literally no worse off with the offer being presented.

It's ironic because of the game being offered is a dead GAAS, so it is worth less than the hard drive it occupies and the time spent on its tutorial, it's basically wasted time in the truest sense, because that time could be invested in a live GAAS (fortnite, for example), with an actual community and future. And that's not even accounting how bad as a game Anthem was, even when the pretense that it was still alive was still up.

So, yeah, spam is the perfect definition for it, a tiny unwanted time waster sent in bulk out of desperation.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes think that people forget that there are human beings behind the the development of these games. I am no corporate apologist by any means, but I do feel for anyone who puts their heart into a game (or anything really), and for one reason or another expectations are not met and you're seen as a "failure."

Has there been a lot of mixed messaging in regards to this game? Indisputable. But the fact of the matter is that it's a free game and a chance to jump in for all curious parties, it can help boost the community, and is a good introduction before the launch of the update.

Literally no harm in this at all.

But HOW will I explain to my CHILDREN that I PLAYED ANTHEM for FREE???????

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
It's ironic because of the game being offered is a dead GAAS, so it is worth less than the hard drive it occupies and the time spent on its tutorial, it's basically wasted time in the truest sense
If someone has fun with it - and it is possible to have fun with Anthem, believe it or not - then it isn't a waste of time.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic because of the game being offered is a dead GAAS, so it is worth less than the hard drive it occupies and the time spent on its tutorial, it's basically wasted time in the truest sense, because that time could be invested in a live GAAS (fortnite, for example), with an actual community and future. And that's not even accounting how bad as a game Anthem was, even when the pretense that it was still alive was still up.

So, yeah, spam is the perfect definition for it, a tiny unwanted time waster sent in bulk out of desperation.
Sounds like you have no interest in it. Just disregard the code. No harm, no foul.
For others who may want to jump in and just see what it was all about, they're benefiting from this.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, I just bought a bundle from target. Am I getting anthem as well?

Also, what was the original title, lol.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I played anthem the first month with the origin sub. Had a lot of fun with it and don't regret spending 15€ for it. The gameplay itself was fantastic. The loot, story, world design not so. But in general far away from a horrible experiance. Don't understand the hate against this game.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you have no interest in it. Just disregard the code. No harm, no foul.
For others who may want to jump in and just see what it was all about, they're benefiting from this.

I just cannot are how anyone could have a different take than this. It's a free game. Play it, or don't. Either way, it'll be fine!

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
considering the rumored overhaul the game is going to get i wouldn't put any time into it now

Oct 27, 2017

Anthem isn't the worst game of 2019, but it is sure as hell the one which promised the most and delivered the least.

Protip: next time, don't make fake gameplay demonstrations and promises which turn out to be lies.