• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so disappointed at this game... I wasn't feeling confident with The Division 2, but after experiencing the demo, I might just go for it and pass on Anthem.

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Anthem will look a lot different over the course of a year. TTK will likely change, optimizations will likely occur...to me, what matters for a new IP in this genre is that first the core mechanics of the game are still fun to play - and behind some technical issues in the demo they are fun to me at least - and second, that there is transparency from the devs as to upcoming changes and content releases. Destiny got into hot water because Bungie thought the game at launch was going to blow people away, and they were ill-prepared to deal with the backlash...it took them a long time to recover, and now Destiny is in a pretty good place from where it once was. So far, Bioware devs have been incredibly transparent as to what to expect, and at least to me, it seems like they have a real passion for the IP beyond making money. They are interested in developing it into something special. It remains to be seen if the game will reach that state before the release of Anthem 2 in X years...but for some reason I have faith in it.

Well said.

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
But the backlash of this compared to say... Division 2 which is just as much of a sponge looter shooter I mean cmon

what' i find even more ridiculous with the Division is that the enemies you are shooting are humans that take a whole clip or 2 from an automatic gun to put them down. People sure as hell arent complaining to high hell about how bullet spongy that game is. It was ridiculous how many clips u needed to empty on regular enemies in that game and The Div2 looks to be the same.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Really enjoying the feel of the game and what I've played so far. But only having 3 strongholds at launch sounds incredibly concerning on paper from an end game perspective to me.

Fingers crossed there's something more and that re-running 3 missions + daily / weekly contracts in the open world isn't the majority of things to do.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I really really wanna know the roadmap for this game. how long will have to wait for added strongholds or raids.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
High level play looks fine. Seems like it's gonna require a lot of ability combos and coordination with teammates in terms of abilities to really get through the content esp. for Grandmaster III I'm assuming.

Still though right now the game is just not hitting for me in terms of content. Only 3 strongholds with what I'm guessing to be weekly contracts and the main story with Grandmaster III difficulty as the highest. I feel like people are gonna breeze through the content in like a month and there's not gonna be much to do.

Game is gonna need a good stream of content delivery to survive imo.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is all very disappointing.

I wish they would have some roadmap of content, or show off these fabled "cataclysm events" somewhere. How frequent are they? How long are they?

I'm still looking forward to playing this but I'm growing less excited by the day.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
what' i find even more ridiculous with the Division is that the enemies you are shooting are humans that take a whole clip or 2 from an automatic gun to put them down. People sure as hell arent complaining to high hell about how bullet spongy that game is. It was ridiculous how many clips u needed to empty on regular enemies in that game and The Div2 looks to be the same.
yup I feel the same way about division. The enemies being human just makes the bullet sponge design much less palatable, with aliens/scif fi setting you can at least suspend your disbelief a little.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grandmaster might give me an opportunity to actually use my abilities on something other than a boss with Ranger. Damn Storms just rip through anything in Hard or Normal.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man... I would love a great action RPG where I have control over mechs. This just ain't it either from gameplay or structure. I'll enjoy the cool looking robots though.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is EVERYONE is using Interceptor or Storm or something? NO ONE is using Colossus? Lol. It seems like it.
Colossus actually has some of the most powerful weapons and abilities. Not sure why people don't play them. The lack of Dodge maybe.

Also from the demo the lack of combo setups/detonations? Which is integral to high level play.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
5 years in the making boys. What the hell bioware did during that time? Even the engine was given

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
So it looks like only 3 strongholds at launch? And Legendary contacts.. Is that really the endgame?

they read that vanilla Destiny had the worse endgame in loot shooter history,so they're like let's try and do worst.

I don't see this game getting more than 75-80 in scores tbh,meaning more of the same except the cool flying mechanic

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Colossus is the best class in the game!

Said literally no one with any amount of video game skill ever.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
You think they'd look at the reaction to destiny and plan accordingly. They're going to need to release a roadmap before launch and show they can deliver content regularly bc this isn't enough.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
People prefer Interceptor or Storm because they work out of the box. The Colossus needs to get class components with its massive hp/armour increases in order to function. It doesn't help that there's currently a bug removing said hp/armour increases during gameplay for no reason whatsoever.

Edit : And the 3 strongholds...considering you'd run them tons already while leveling up...yikes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't ignore Ranger.

It's the only Javelin with a primer for a Melee, that's really fucking good combined with two detonator skills. This game is going to be very, very fun to play with a co-ordinated team.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't ignore Ranger.

It's the only Javelin with a primer for a Melee, that's really fucking good combined with two detonator skills. This game is going to be very, very fun to play with a co-ordinated team.
Potentially unless like I'm hearing it's all just the same enemies we've been fighting with more health/damage and numbers. If they have a decent amount of variety compared to what they've showed and then add extensive modifiers and such then yeah it'll be more interesting. As it stands after this, as one of my most anticipated games and really having enjoyed the demo. I'm now very worried, especially since playing with a team requires a team to, you know stick around.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Potentially unless like I'm hearing it's all just the same enemies we've been fighting with more health/damage and numbers. If they have a decent amount of variety compared to what they've showed and then add extensive modifiers and such then yeah it'll be more interesting. As it stands after this, as one of my most anticipated games and really having enjoyed the demo. I'm now very worried, especially since playing with a team requires a team to, you know stick around.

I'm not going to be playing hard with randoms. :p

And yes, I get the concerns. There's a very real chance this game will suffer in the ways Destiny did on launch, but that game had a kind of magic that kept many of us with it. That "bigger than the sum" stuff won't be apparent until we've really given it a good go.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to be playing hard with randoms. :p

And yes, I get the concerns. There's a very real chance this game will suffer in the ways Destiny did on launch, but that game had a kind of magic that kept many of us with it. That "bigger than the sum" stuff won't be apparent until we've really given it a good go.
Destiny over time because of it's promise and then failed dev cycles, dirth of content. Really really burned me on 1. 2 was a huge backslide as it started to get better and then it's finally getting decent again. But the magic kind of died for me back in D1. I play D2 with buddies who purchased the expansions for me. But I have no illusions about Destiny anymore. I'd hoped am still hoping that anthem will be different in the regards.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It crashed two times straight in the stronghold, resulting in losing my loot. Fuck this.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So... 3 dungeons, bounties and Free Roam is the entire launch endgame? And people thought Destiny 2 launch endgame was bad.

I know there are different difficulty levels but everyone who played the game just says it's with more HP on enemies. Like, not even various modifiers? Any word on that?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny over time because of it's promise and then failed dev cycles, dirth of content. Really really burned me on 1. 2 was a huge backslide as it started to get better and then it's finally getting decent again. But the magic kind of died for me back in D1. I play D2 with buddies who purchased the expansions for me. But I have no illusions about Destiny anymore. I'd hoped am still hoping that anthem will be different in the regards.

I get it, I do. And it's looking likely Anthem will be a disappointment in a few ways already... we can only hope.

I love playing Destiny 2 from moment to moment, but the overall experience is still not super engaging for me. It also feels like a huge grind, and It's not anywhere near engaging enough to get stuck into that grind and make decent progress. I've still not even done the Last Wish and I was day 1 for all the previous raids.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
It crashed two times straight in the stronghold, resulting in losing my loot. Fuck this.

Probably not actually lost, but it does require completing the mission I think, lol.

Happened to me too where I thought it was gone, but when I completed it ALL the loot from previous attempts was there.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
Probably not actually lost, but it does require completing the mission I think, lol.

Happened to me too where I thought it was gone, but when I completed it ALL the loot from previous attempts was there.
Its a kind of weird system. Loot that you pick up goes into your backpack and is always yours,, but it doesn't get 'decrypted' until you finish a mission. So if you get disconnected it'll still be there but you have to finish a (any) mission for it to actually decrypt.

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
The point I was trying to make is that EDF5 was made by a very small team but compared to the AAA big-guns they're much more creative when it comes to encounter design. Shooting of limbs in EDF5 is not just a visual gimmick, it's a tactical decision:
when facing multiple bi-pedal enemies shooting at you, shooting
- off the arm that holds the weapon buys you time because that enemy won't be able to shoot at you until he's able to regenerate that arm
- shooting off the legs makes him immobile/ slows him down until he regenerates the legs
- shooting at the head takes more hits but he will be instantly dead = no regen
- low damage at high rate also staggers enemies, so they can't shoot back

This concept is then taken one step further with armored enemies, because you have to get rid of the armor parts first to proceed with the mentioned options. This is bascially Halo's shield mechanic with a far superior visual indicator in terms of satisfaction.

So how can anyone claim that the stuff we're seeing in Destiny and Anthem is the best it can get?

Yup agreed. Thanks for typing that up, appreciate it.

You've also inspired me to try EDF!

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... 3 dungeons, bounties and Free Roam is the entire launch endgame? And people thought Destiny 2 launch endgame was bad.

I know there are different difficulty levels but everyone who played the game just says it's with more HP on enemies. Like, not even various modifiers? Any word on that?

It's just more health/damage. It's bad.

I know as a service game the content will grow over time, but that doesn't really matter. There needs to be enough content in the game at launch to keep people playing up until that new stuff is added in. 3 "strikes" and a few difficulty options isn't going to do it. People will drop the game and move on to something else before Bioware has a chance to add anything. Same thing happened to Destiny.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't think this game is bad, more meh than bad (though i'm very skeptical about its open world nature, marketing could be a bit misleading on that) the story seems very forgettable and the dialogues seen so far are just boring.

But most importantly, in a world where Warframe exists, and it is free to play why would you ever want to play this for $60?

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
More like high-level Zzzzzz's; instead of dropping money on monthly ambien prescriptions, just buy Anthem.

It's like they played Destiny and thought, "How can we do the same thing but even less appealing?"

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get it, I do. And it's looking likely Anthem will be a disappointment in a few ways already... we can only hope.

I love playing Destiny 2 from moment to moment, but the overall experience is still not super engaging for me. It also feels like a huge grind, and It's not anywhere near engaging enough to get stuck into that grind and make decent progress. I've still not even done the Last Wish and I was day 1 for all the previous raids.
What's killing me right now is instead of having real challenges with meaningful rewards everything is grind based. I don't have any of the high end titles because of RNG. I've done all the hard stuff. The flawless runs etc. It's purely just RNG. Even a freaking cosmetic title is RNG based... Come on.

The other compoment, and the more damning one, is they keep releasing exotics and gear. But, effectively it just allows you to do the same content you were already doing, with slightly better weapons. So instead of reaching new heights, with scalable or difficult content. You're just making the things you're already doing/grinding easier instead. There's really little incentive to actually try to get perfect rolls on things etc. When you really think about it, outside PvP.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All loot shooters have bullet sponge enemies. Which makes sense when one of the basic concepts of a loot-driven game is that your damage is based on your gear.