• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
BioWare's long-suffering shooter Anthem is now fallen to under £10 on both PS4 and Xbox One.
There are flashes of brilliance in the Anthem's combat and there's some joy to be found in gliding around the world pretending to be Iron Man for a few hours. Past that, it's mostly disappointment that awaits. The story is massively underwhelming by BioWare standards, while technical issues and a tedious endgame will prevent you from sticking with it for long.
At this price, though, it's not bad to take a punt on it.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WELP. EA is going to make it free to play now to try and gain attention for the game & to monetize it as they please.

EA really fucked Bioware over with this. Remember when people were enjoying the game because they got a ton of rare items/loot and made the game less grindy? Seriously, they don't want people to enjoy their game, they want them - kinda enjoying the game so they spend more money to actually enjoying it.
561393DBAD00D24BBEB71764E65B07109D17EFF5

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Man, remember all the early hype for this? And all the hopes folks had even when the Beta (the week before release) pointed that this was on next level bomba territory?

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad I didn't get this game at launch, I really considered it too but thankfully I changed my mind.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Still to high. Make it free to play and call it a day

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Has this been updated much since launch?
Not as much as many of us would like but they changed up the loot, how builds work, extra content, combat options etc. Its a much better game now but maybe the time has passed. for £10, if you like loot shooters, you will get your monies worth but the future does not look great, even after a recent update on its future.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What an embarrassment.

Resetera should have a toilet awards each year. Anthem would the trophy for sure.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Selling for cheap / free is a good way to make some money before they kill it off, as they still sell these too

l0XsPgs.png

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if Anthem was free, it would still be a steep price to pay

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
If this was anywhere else I would be tempted. Even in its state I feel I would get £10 worth of enjoyment out of Anthem. However I do not have good relationship with ShopTo and they are never getting my business again.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
People still blaming EA for this trashfire ... I mean that Jason article pretty much shows Bioware being more incompetent than Bungie during Destiny 1's development

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I really hope BioWare doesn't go under and that they can get their shit together
I think it's inevitable that they don't. A boost in morale or motivation for the team does nothing when the talent keeps leaving and gets replaced with less ambitious people.

As much as I blame the toxic management I also heard from a first-hand account that this sounded exactly like when they did Mass Effect 1 back in around 2005-2007 before moving to the SWTOR team before getting fired once the project shipped. Jack Wall even made an off-hand remark about how bad the management and scheduling issues were back then. It's the same thing, it just got worse since the people who were responsible for the "BioWare Magic" left the company to stand naked in the rain.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I bought my copy for $10 USD, and I legitimately regret it in terms of not having gotten my money's-worth out of it.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Biggest waste of £40 in a long time, I was really on the fence but my friend convinced me to get it, he's no longer my friend.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The need to pull a FFXIV if they want to return from the ashes.

That can't/wont ever happen. Square fucked up a mainline entry in their biggest IP, the cornerstone of their company. Anthem means nothing to EA as a new IP. They sold their 4+ million units. They won't reinvest tens of millions of dollars to turn the game around when they probably consider themselves lucky they can walk away in the black after it's mess of development. Meanwhile for Square, being a sub mmo, 14 had the profit potential that a 3 years all hands on deck hail Mary made sense. Selling some cosmetics would never see that level of return unless you have mini phenomenon f2p numbers.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
That can't/wont ever happen. Square fucked up a mainline entry in their biggest IP, the cornerstone of their company. Anthem means nothing to EA as a new IP. They sold their 4+ million units. They won't reinvest tens of millions of dollars to turn the game around when they probably consider themselves lucky they can walk away in the black after it's mess of development. Meanwhile for Square, being a sub mmo, 14 had the profit potential that a 3 years all hands on deck hail Mary made sense. Selling some cosmetics would never see that level of return unless you have mini phenomenon f2p numbers.
I know it won't happen. What im saying it would need somewhere near that level of effort if they wanted to give it a second chance at life.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the game really that bad?

It looks gorgeous and the shooting mechanics look pretty good.

It has to be worth 10 bucks... Right?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is the game really that bad?

It looks gorgeous and the shooting mechanics look pretty good.

It has to be worth 10 bucks... Right?
I will probably get jumped on for this but it depends on what side of the fence you were on when it launched. Some enjoyed it, flaws and all. Some utterly hated it and wanted Anthem and Bioware to fail and die, even before it launched.

If you like loot shooters, you will get 10 bucks worth easily. Even if you get 10 hours worth, thats more than enough.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Dont worry once its fixed and relaunched theyll sell it at 40/60 again with the expansions included.