• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I've been playing Anthem since Friday, and I'm truly baffled by what I'm playing. There are a host of issues that just don't make sense, and why it was pushed out the door like this is definitely strange, especially after the recent drop of Apex Legends, another EA title that is extremely polished but also came out of nowhere.

First issue, the load screens. What the hell happened here? Want to equip a weapon? Load screen. Finished a mission? Load screen so you can see your point totals for the mission and then ANOTHER load screen into your base. Have a slow hard drive when you're starting a mission? Two minute load screen, followed by another load screen because your squad is ahead of you (WHY ARE YOU FORCING PEOPLE TO BE ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AT ALL TIMES?), and by the time you've finished your four minutes of loading you're probably going into another load screen for the dungeon. Good lord, every damn thing in this game has me on my phone more than I'm playing.

The game seems to have a small amount of content, especially given the 6 year dev cycle, with players reporting they finished all the story quests in under 20 hours, and they're left 10 levels short from the true "endgame", which seems to just revolve around doing the same limited content you've already done. It's not like the story is particularly high quality either, with weird semi-cutscenes with you talking directly at someone's face, not even meeting the bar that Mass Effect set in 2006, or pre-rendered cutscenes (THAT DON'T LOAD IN THE BACKGROUND SO YOU NEED TO LOAD AGAIN AFTER THEM) that are spread out and don't particularly fit with the rest of the game.

The UI is clunky and overdone, you need to traverse a bunch of clunky menus to actually do whatever you want, all of which are in different styles and don't seem to have any coherent design except for "everything is a rhombus". I've also had issues with text boxes loading before the background graphics, and everything just seems so unfinished.

For the game's credit, the art is beautiful and the flying and shooting are both enjoyable, but every single thing in the game detracts from that experience. If I want to just go out and do a mission, I'm sitting at probably 5 minutes of load times in a 20 minute mission. How the hell did this happen in 2019 when it seems like every other game has managed to almost eliminate load screens altogether?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Because BioWare sucks?

I don't understand how either but it seems to me like they've hit the ground running since they started using Frostbite, and are constantly facing high profile departures, crunch and working on the next big thing all available studios at once, without proper time to focus on each individual thing.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EA just wanted to throw it out, get some pre order money, then only fix it later via "updates" if it makes them enough money initially.

I guess I just better start organizing the funeral for Bioware. All I wanted was DA4...

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't have seen this coming a mile away.

I would have guessed every.single.thing in your post to be the case at launch six months to a year ago. Someone else made a point that I really agree with - it's like everyone else's first attempt at this type of game; but it's coming when all those other games (Destiny, Division, etc) are on their sequels.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
The same thing that happens to every GaaS MMO-lite. They had an overly ambitious timeline and didn't meet it. I expected it to launch and be just like The Division and Destiny were, and I assume that's how it is. In 6-9 months and 2 content packs it will be a great game. Until then it's probably going to feel unfinished and mediocre.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Some valid points but I think equating longer development time with expectations of longer play times doesn't make much sense. A good 20 hour experience could have always been the original vision. Although yeah if there's nothing else to do in the game except the campaign then that's quite unusual for a multiplayer game.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Destiny 1 and Division 1 felt like a more complete product at launch compared to Anthem, and that's saying something

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 hours story campaign is by no means short.

besides, where are you getting your numbers from? most people are tyring this game on EA access and that is limited to 10 hours. i am surprised you have already heard of a lot of folks on EA Origins Priemere talk about finishing everything in 20 hours when the game has only been out for 2 days.

the loading times are not that bad and have been improved from the demo.

my biggest issue is the performance which is very uneven even on xbox one x. but thats probably because MS mandated the native 4k resolution on them. the dmeo i played on the ps4 ran at around 50 fps at 1080p.

Oct 29, 2017
For the 6 years that it has had in development, the current content treadmill available certainly sounds like a lot of the challenges that Bungie faced when developing Destiny.

I imagine that having a lot of the systems in place that permit these games to work as "shared space" shooters is similar to some of the hurdles faced with MMORPGs. There's a level of technical challenge with ensuring that the whole set dressing stays in place and doesn't just dramatically fall apart. I imagine that, since the project was imagined as a 'games as a service' title, whether it was felt that having less 'progressive' content (and more quests and battles that could be repeated) was felt to be satisfactory, with more things to come later - a la Destiny?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading a lot of really positive impression lately

I thought the final product was considered pretty solid

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
20 hours story campaign is by no means short.

besides, where are you getting your numbers from? most people are tyring this game on EA access and that is limited to 10 hours. i am surprised you have already heard of a lot of folks on EA Origins Priemere talk about finishing everything in 20 hours when the game has only been out for 2 days.

the loading times are not that bad and have been improved from the demo.

my biggest issue is the performance which is very uneven even on xbox one x. but thats probably because MS mandated the native 4k resolution on them. the dmeo i played on the ps4 ran at around 50 fps at 1080p.

streamers/content creators are playing and sharing their impressions.

Only really bad thing to me seems to be the load times. Seems to destroy the flow of the game.

I've been reading a lot of really positive impression lately

I thought the final product was considered pretty solid

i've been seeing mostly mixed with some blights that everyone seems to agree with.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
If this game does bad, I don't have any hopes of ever seeing Mass Effect back. The Bioware that made me fall in love with a game (Mass Effect) is dead to me.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 1 and Division 1 felt like a more complete product at launch compared to Anthem, and that's saying something

For all the issues those games had, they at least didn't feel like it was held together by tape and paper clips.

Anthem feels like it's still in beta.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd really like to know how these games (Destiny, now Anthem) manage to have so little content despite years of development/sky-high budget. It's a mystery for me
management probably ate all of it

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is hilarious to me that this thread is posted almost a week before the actual release date of the game xD

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
Rushed development cycle or being through "development hell" possibly, we wouldn't know until the after it is release . Given the Mass Effect: Andromeda fiasco where the majority of the game was scrapped less than 2 years from its proposed released date, forcing them to do everything by scratch, I wouldn't be surprised, if that was the case.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Has a Bioware game ever launched feeling like a finished product? Baybe that Sonic DS game?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Rushed development cycle or being through "development hell" possibly, we wouldn't know until the after it is release . Given the Mass Effect: Andromeda fiasco where the majority of the game was scrapped less than 2 years from its proposed released date, forcing them to do everything by scratch, I wouldn't be surprised, if that was the case.
Andromeda was developed by completely different people.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
For some reason Era hates this game as much as Donald Trump. I've played it for 6 hours now and although there are obvious issues, the gameplay loop is good, flying feels great, shooting isn't exactly satisfying but not bad either, graphics are still top notch, etc. Give it time (remember Warframe? The Division? Destiny 2?) and this might transform from a good to a great game. Especially with Bioware's commitment and EA's cash vault.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking the parts where I'm actually playing the game but every other aspect of it fucking sucks. Any moment spent in fort tarsis is fucking miserable and yeah, everything being behind a load screen is insane

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Games as a Service tends to give the excuse to release an unfinished/buggy game with the intent to release larger updates that both adds content and fixes issues over time, mainly leaving the first adopters in a pickle.

Even in the OT I've been seeing responses to some issues being, "Oh that'll be fixed for the official launch next week" as if these early adopters didn't pay a dime to play the game. Leaves me scratching my head at times.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I have only played for a few hours, but for the first couple of missions it was just a frustration of loading screens as I kept getting "left behind", the other randoms was doing a speed run or something. Add to the fact that flying via KB+M is one of the worst controls I have experienced this year and it did not leave a good impression at all. Also did not like that the mobs essentially just spawn from the ground in waves, and the amount of loot that I get just blended into each other. Would rather be able to upgrade what I have instead of playing "mouse over and choose most green bars" at the forge.

Sigh.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
My friend Corey was a lead designer, but he passed away in the middle of development. I always wondered how much would change designdoc-wise after his passing because he was always so fanatical about good gunplay.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
But it's not. The game has released for EA access subscribers.

NCJibGy.png

Development for the game should have ended a while ago considering its releasing next week.

Absolutely, but it is hilarious to see the weird early access world that we live now

HMC

Aug 24, 2018
The more I play, the more I love it, TBH. It feels SO good to slip into that suit. Your'e definitely right though, it seems nowhere near finished. Between the loading, crashing, and server errors it can get pretty frustrating, but I think this will eventually become a really, really great game.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The answer to this seems to always be "tools"

Damn those custom toolsets and proprietary engines ! Can't the devs use gamemaker or unity, like the rest of us hobbyists ? /s

(I always tend to forget about that one. Working for an entertainment giant can bring more constraints than solutions...)

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
The answer to this seems to always be "tools"

Building the underlying systems for the game is probably a nightmare compared to traditional game development. That alone likely adds years to the development time if you don't already have those systems in place. Wouldn't surprise me to find out half or more of the development time was spent just getting the engine modified for a GaaS MMO that allows for hotfixes and thousands of players connected at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.