• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People expecting "Diablo endgame" because of the tiered difficulty levels are in for a very rude awakening.

The real question you should be asking yourself is: How much do I like Warframe?

Because Anthem is much closer to that than Diablo or Destiny.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I might dabble in this for some ME3 style horde mode multiplayer fests, but I'd probably go solo for all story content.

I'm going to wait for reviews though.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope they're not doing Destiny-style raids. With how conscious it seems they were to avoid all the problems Destiny has I can't imagine them copying the content Bungie puts out that very few people play. As long as whatever it is is not designed to be gated by arbitrary restrictions like in Destiny I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
They are some of the best content in games though. If they can hit the same highs then it would be amazing. I guess it just depends on how anthem handles endgame.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
With the room they have for the customization of javelins they can make realy cool skins etc. Wich people can like alot.
I mean this N7 skin is already cool imo.

n7_anthem-740x593.jpg
Well there's my skin. All I need.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Getting back to Anthem's monetization structure: Yes, there is a premium currency, called Shards, in addition to the free currency called Coin. But any premium currency you end up buying is only used on cosmetics like armor sets, emotes, decals, etc. And most of the purchasable cosmetics we saw required a combination of both Coin and Shards, though all of that was still being finalized when we saw it.

the fact that a paid game at launch will have items that you can only get with real money is appalling in my opinion and is my most hated thing of gaming now. Bring back the days of buying a full game at launch and not having content be behind a paywall or day 1 dlc etc. its bullshit

Oct 26, 2017
People expecting "Diablo endgame" because of the tiered difficulty levels are in for a very rude awakening.

The real question you should be asking yourself is: How much do I like Warframe?

I love Warframe.

But then, I can just play Warframe instead of Anthem. Hopefully they manage to carve out their own distinct identity without too much difficulty.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
So, it is possible for them to have a satisfactorily large amount of content, but only if they embrace randomly generated maps and enemy compositions like Diablo 3 and Path of Exile. This allows the game to continue to feel relatively fresh since you're seeing a large variety of landscapes and might even face difficult enemy combinations that you wouldn't normally see. I really hope that they go this route.

I don't want to assume how far you got into Diablo 3's end game, but it sounds like you never really challenged yourself in high torment levels while still getting decent gear or in Greater Rifts (GRs). For those who didn't play Diablo 3's expansion, GRs are a theoretically endlessly scaling series of dungeons that just keep getting harder and harder. If you tried to get to higher levels, you'd get to points where you'd have to be playing very well to continue since there wasn't much room for mistakes. Depending on the quality of your gear and your build, you'd have to be managing your cooldowns well, staying out of harmful effects, managing enemies to fuel your abilities or power your buffs, time your buffs for maximum effect, and generally not make any mistakes since you could potentially die instantly if, for example, you let a buff expire even for a moment while in danger. Although the technical skill required in Diablo 3 to click on enemies is perhaps not as high as accurately targeting and shooting, there is still a lot of timing, situational awareness, and positioning required that separates good players from mediocre ones.

I agree with all that, i was pretty far in Greater rifts but i still think that "loot based combat" cannot be translated well in third person shooters. Everyone seems to forget that EA already failed in this with Hellscape London a decade ago.
My take is that Diablo even in it's most intense moments is a "relaxing expierience", it's a game made to be in a background tab. A TPS can't be like that.
But in few weeks we will learn, and i hope Bioware have made something really good.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

Eh. Warframe combat can mostly just be flipping through corridor levels as fast as possible while everything around you dies. I love Warframe, but Anthem's combat and accessibility will make it wildly different from Warframe.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Warframe combat can mostly just be flipping through corridor levels as fast as possible while everything around you dies. I love Warframe, but Anthem's combat and accessibility will make it wildly different from Warframe.
I agree. Anthems gameplay and combat looks much more weighted and purposeful from what I've seen. I've played a lot of warframe, Diablo, Path of Exile and other ARPG's over the years. And while they are great, especially from the design, flexibility, scalibility and agency standpoint. Effectively you reach a point In those titles where build trumps all else. And you effectively hit a wall where you either faceroll with the right gear/skill points or get crushed. Path of Exile is notorious for this, you find meta builds or you hit a wall. I never choose to do that in Path personally. I always just experiment.

But the point is, that there is a happy middle ground in there somewhere between something like Path/Warframe and Destiny. And I think Anthem is trying to hit that. There's absolutely similiar elements. But their outcome isn't necessarily the same.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the fact that a paid game at launch will have items that you can only get with real money is appalling in my opinion and is my most hated thing of gaming now. Bring back the days of buying a full game at launch and not having content be behind a paywall or day 1 dlc etc. its bullshit
Sounded like the premium currency can be earned in game. But I do agree it's a frustrating reality of gaming today. I'd rather just pay a subscription to finance proper development. As when you go down the route of financing your games through MTX cosmetics and such. It becomes the focus of the dev teams efforts and publisher/owners focus as cosmetics become the component that is making them money. Thus shifting the dynamic from content and gameplay to cosmetic additions. Which is what has partially plagued destiny (much worse before) and frankly killed a game like Star Wars The Old Republic (MMO).

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
My take is that Diablo even in it's most intense moments is a "relaxing expierience", it's a game made to be in a background tab.

High level greater rifts as a squishy ranged class and nothing but lashers for enemies would like a word with you. Speed farming or playing with friends is pretty chill, but pushing top end stuff is anything but relaxing.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018

IGN is plain wrong here. It was also a generally poorly written article with grammar errors everywhere. It is not a combination of premium and earned currency required, but instead an either/or. The devs have already stated that all cosmetics can be earned in game and some cosmetics in fact can't be bought with premium currency.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's been marketed as an online loot chasing game since the get go, not sure why you would think/hope it was focused on being a single player story-driven experience.
My perhaps unrealistic hope was that Bioware's DNA with single player stories would have a place in the game, but merged with the competent gameplay required for most of these types of games.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017

Sorry but that's just wrong. You do realise that the whole incentive for grind in Warframe is to get new Warframes? Which basically is playing to get a totally new class. That's something I always feel is really worth my time. It's not just a new helmet or gun. Especially that new frames are so varied and offer totally different playstyle.

If Anthem would be like that but I would grind to get more Javelins? I'd be on board 100%! But we will just grind for new items etc.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I don't need Destinyraids like Last Wish in this. If I have to go through absurd bird/dragon puzzles, contrived and convoluted mechanics to add difficulty... HARD PASS.

If they are more like the Wrath of the Machine and Scourge of the Past, where they are more action and less mechanic heavy then I'm ok with it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Warframe loot is boring, characters have little customizability that is meaningful. It's a bad comparison based on what we've seen. Warframe combat also has literally zero weight to it, both melee and shooting feel completely flaccid, which anthem did not. Diablo definitely seems like the right comparison.

NikkiNailZ

Oct 27, 2017
If that's the endgame at launch i will probably wait a few months. Don't really like doing same story stuff over and over again. Especially when the enemies just get bigger health pools and hit harder. That felt rather cheap in Destiny.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't need Destinyraids like Last Wish in this. If I have to go through absurd bird/dragon puzzles, contrived and convoluted mechanics to add difficulty... HARD PASS.

If they are more like the Wrath of the Machine and Scourge of the Past, where they are more action and less mechanic heavy then I'm ok with it.

A battle with a lesser Ash Titan had players constantly on the move as it summoned adds, generated bombs where you're standing, fired out waves of expanding energy you had to leap or fly over and so on. This all while trying to target its weak spots to disrupt certain attacks. That was on a lower tier boss. I expect higher level enemies to demand even more of players. This combined with the crazy amounts of build variety should make end game stuff pretty intense and involved.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Warframe loot is boring, characters have little customizability that is meaningful. It's a bad comparison based on what we've seen. Warframe combat also has literally zero weight to it, both melee and shooting feel completely flaccid, which anthem did not. Diablo definitely seems like the right comparison.

I'm sure you've played lots of Warframe, but this sounds like a post from someone that hasnt. The first two points alone are wrong.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
So basically end game is repetition... You start to do everything again... with another difficulty settings...

Oct 30, 2017
IGN is plain wrong here. It was also a generally poorly written article with grammar errors everywhere. It is not a combination of premium and earned currency required, but instead an either/or. The devs have already stated that all cosmetics can be earned in game and some cosmetics in fact can't be bought with premium currency.

Yeah, I remember this too. A lot of missinformation that people are bitching about. The system sounds fine.

I imagine this game is going to have a ton of cosmetic variety to it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you've played lots of Warframe, but this sounds like a post from someone that hasnt. The first two points alone are wrong.
No. They're not. I don't care if you like the game, but the tiny differences in your card loadouts and the weapon stats are not meaningful like they are in Diablo or poe. The majority of the loot grind is crafting components for other frames.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
No. They're not. I don't care if you like the game, but the tiny differences in your card loadouts and the weapon stats are not meaningful like they are in Diablo or poe. The majority of the loot grind is crafting components for other frames.

Tiny difference in card loadout? Card loadouts make a massive difference, it's literally the difference between dying in 10 seconds or surviving for an hour. Weapon stats arent meaningful? Both complete bollocks.

Also the majority of the loot grind is for components for frames, weapons, sentinals, moas, ship components. Not frames alone.

This is a bad troll.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
That's litterally how endgame works in looter shooters lol
I was expecting a true mmo diff from Destiny with a lot of content. The biggest problem with Destiny for me is the lack of content.

I can handle a game with 8-12 hours of content and repeat being called MMO.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Hoping Bioware doesn't go for raid content. Too much development cost for content only a fraction of the player base will likely ever experience. If Destiny is anything to go by, raid content tends to be too esoteric in play, socially awkward, and time intensive which is difficult for the typical player juggling a life, family, and/or job (not to mention other games). While super impressive at first blush, Bungie has hamstrung themselves since raid content is one of the key pillars to the identity of Destiny and that content has proven to be exceptionally difficult and expensive for them to produce consistently.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Hoping Bioware doesn't go for raid content. Too much development cost for content only a fraction of the player base will likely ever experience. If Destiny is anything to go by, raid content tends to be too esoteric in play, socially awkward, and time intensive which is difficult for the typical player juggling a life, family, and/or job (not to mention other games). While super impressive at first blush, Bungie has hamstrung themselves since raid content is one of the key pillars to the identity of Destiny and that content has proven to be exceptionally difficult and expensive for them to produce consistently.

You need content that is fun to replay, rewarding, and not time gated.

The problem that I have with Destiny is the replayable content is from such a small pool, and not much of it is rewarding. Then you add on the fact that anything that is rewarding is time gated.

Raids are really cool, but they are not easy to replay because getting 6 people together is hard for most people. It does offer rewards but its gated, so even if you're replaying it, its once a week.

I agree that raids probably are not worth the investment of the team.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Getting the best gear and playing the hardest levels seems really really fucking hollow without PVP.

I can understand this sentiment, but some of the MMO type games I've played lately with robust PvP/PvE tend to "Normalize" the pvp to such an extent that gear gives a fairly minimal boost. Even at times in their attempts to balance pvp they end up making lower geared characters more powerful than the epic/legendary geared max level character. Then throw in the constant nerfing of fun/unique weapons/gear in PvE to better balance PvP, it just frustrates the PvE portion of the game at the expense of PvP. It is going to be interesting to see how it is handled here.

While I am sure there will be some nerfing of items/weapons for PvE, I would anticipate those changes to not be nearly as extreme had they also had to consider a PvP element.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Getting the best gear and playing the hardest levels seems really really fucking hollow without PVP.

How come? Both Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 dont have any proper PvP and its far from hollow.

This game not having PvP is a huge plus imo. Too many companies add it, then end up fucking up the balancing to keep the PvP players happy.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
premium currency ? im out. another game ruined by ea's monetization. the grind for those premium skins will probably be unreal (looking at battlefront 2)

Normally, I'd be on the same page, as I think even cosmetic microtransactions in games that aren't free to play are gross, but if they actually stick to not charging for things like expansions, I might make an exception on this one.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo , Nioh and Borderlands has a lot of content...
I think Destiny model is something I don't like. I was expecting a good story mode from Anthem like a RPG, I was expecting wrong.
So to summarize, you are assuming anthem doesnt have a lot of content and a shitty story.

Can I please get the copy you have been playing?