• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/22/anthem-everything-we-learned-after-20-hours-of-gameplay

This is a big article, and there is much, much more at the link.

Elder Game (End Game):

The biggest question about Anthem is what you'll be doing after you graduate from fresh-faced recruit and enter the endgame loop, which BioWare calls The Elder Game. Anthem's Elder Game is a loop of customizing your character with the best gear and weapons you can find in order to start making crazy loadouts that allow you to push into the hardest content. The goal is to leverage better and better pieces of gear to increase your overall gear score and Javelin rarity and fine tune your tailor made loadouts so you'll be able to blow through difficulty barriers and take on the hardest content on the hardest difficulty, to get even better gear, to create better loadout combinations, and so on.
Once you hit the level cap of 30 and begin Anthem's Elder Game, you'll get access to a new tier of difficulties: Grandmaster 1, 2, and 3. Choosing to run content on these Grandmaster difficulties is your best chance at finding the best gear available, but the risk is intense. Grandmaster heavily enhances enemies, incrementally increasing their health and damage, up to a ridiculously daunting 3,100 percent on Grandmaster 3.

Personalization:
By far my favorite aspect of personalization are the emotes and animations. Do they affect how well you play? No, not at all. But there are a ton to choose from and there are some really infectious emotes to be had.
Space-Baby-Arrival-Animation.png

Monetization:
Getting back to Anthem's monetization structure: Yes, there is a premium currency, called Shards, in addition to the free currency called Coin. But any premium currency you end up buying is only used on cosmetics like armor sets, emotes, decals, etc. And most of the purchasable cosmetics we saw required a combination of both Coin and Shards, though all of that was still being finalized when we saw it.

BioWare is really adamant that they don't want to divide the player base by selling story content, so while there are huge post launch plans for Anthem, none of it will be tied behind a paywall. That means story and content expansions to the game, that means new missions and new strongholds, and that means the daily, weekly, or monthly content drops BioWare has planned: If you bought Anthem, you'll get all that for free.

Alliance System:
The Alliance system is a way of helping other players and allowing other players to help you without ever having to do anything. If you play any content with other players, or you have Anthem players on your friends list, all those people will automatically be added to your alliance.

At the end of a mission, you'll tally up your personal experience and rewards, but you'll also see a tally for alliance experience. That alliance experience builds over time, and is awarded to the other players in your alliance. The idea being the more you play, the more alliance experience you'll give to other players, and the more Alliance experience other players can give to you.

Faces:
From the many characters we spoke with we can happily say that Anthem's faces and characters behave like real people. In one particular early scene with your friend Owen, you can get a real sense for his playful personality as he messes with another no-nonsense character, and his eagerness to be a freelancer pilot in his own right one day. While there might not be romance options in Anthem, there are relationships with characters to be made, and it's important that the immersion of those relationships aren't broken if a character's eyeballs suddenly come bulging out of their head. From what we saw, every character in Anthem has believable personality and facial muscles to match.

Jun 1, 2018
premium currency ? im out. another game ruined by ea's monetization. the grind for those premium skins will probably be unreal (looking at battlefront 2)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That means story and content expansions to the game, that means new missions and new strongholds, and that means the daily, weekly, or monthly content drops BioWare has planned: If you bought Anthem, you'll get all that for free.

Good to hear them keep saying this.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That gear had better be worth playing grandmaster 3 difficulty. I really hope it isn't just beefed versions of earlier weapons.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Have they said anything about new enemy variants or attack patterns for post game? I'm all for loot grinding but a little variety would be nice in post game

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
premium currency ? im out. another game ruined by ea's monetization. the grind for those premium skins will probably be unreal (looking at battlefront 2)

But Battlefront II was making you grind for playable characters, ships, weapons, and other gameplay content, not skins. I understand the microtransaction debate is heated and many-sided, but there's an awful lot of bad faith argumentation and misinformation around the issue as well.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is not my cup of tea, but the initial videos really turned me around. Bookmarked for reading this on weekends.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
This game interests me but I know I don't like grind/loop gameplay. If reviews are oustanding I'll maybe give it a shot. Talking about different currencies in a full-priced game though gets me worried.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
I really wish they would do something different with higher difficulty than just raising stats x amount. Will the enemies have new moves or smarter AI or anything? I'm over this treadmill of getting more powerful weapons to beat x so you can do it over again but this time they have +500% armor!

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The difficulty levels remind me of Diablo and its torment levels.

I would say that's an apt comparison. They're definitely shooting for a Diablo-like end game from everything I've seen.

Thank god. It's still insane to me that Bungie seemed to learn basically nothing despite having so much access to Blizzard over the years. Glad Bioware isn't making the same mistake. A Diablo-like end-game will get me to keep playing this for a while.

Dec 14, 2017
That alliance exp system sounds really interesting, I wonder if it can be potent enough to pull new players to Elder Game levels quickly. The more I see/hear of Anthem the more I am considering jumping in.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not charging for story content is amazing but I'm worried how they'll make money? Surely not everyone buys shards right?
With the room they have for the customization of javelins they can make realy cool skins etc. Wich people can like alot.
I mean this N7 skin is already cool imo.

n7_anthem-740x593.jpg

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
do they give any thoughts as to whether they were still interested in the game after 20 hours? Aka if the gameplay loop continues to satisfy?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It looks weird the grandmaster levels are all unlocked at level 30, versus having GM1 at 30, GM2 at 40 and GM3 at 50.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
do they give any thoughts as to whether they were still interested in the game after 20 hours? Aka if the gameplay loop continues to satisfy?

They seem to indicate yes. There's a few paragraphs that talks about it without outright saying it.

In combat I'd use my left ability – a heavily damaging ability with a long cooldown, for instance – which boosted the damage of my right ability for 5 seconds. In my right ability I'd go with something flexible, like a short cooldown fireball ability so it's always ready to use in the event I trigger the buff. Then I kill an enemy with my right ability, activating the buff and shortening the cooldown on my left ability, and start the whole rotation over. Once I got enough practice I was easily doubling my damage output as long as I maintained this rotation. And that's only using two of my possible six component slots, and relatively good (but not great) gear. The ceiling for truly crazy builds seems really high.
This whole chase to get the best gear is then further enhanced by randomly assigned special attributes to gear and weapons, which are called Infusions. The goal is to find or craft every piece of gear you want with the infusion you want in order to get the best version of your loadout possible. The progression loop struck me as perfect for you build doctors and theory crafters, and I anticipate a heavy community of discussions and YouTube videos about optimal builds for each javelin and each style of play.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it has a more satisfying end game than Destiny 2. I was in heaven when i first started playing and after about a month I was completely burnt out on doing weeklies and dailies for such minimal rewards.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They seem to indicate yes. There's a few paragraphs that talks about it without outright saying it.
sweet. I'm hoping it doesn't end up like Destiny where based on patches one weapon is the end all be all. I remember going to raids folks would get annoyed if you didn't have a specific weapon. If different weapons for each javelin work best for a loadout type, then all the better as to prevent the chase for ONE specific weapon in end game.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why is the drop rate difficulty bonus only for Masterwork btw when Legendary is a tier above?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Is there new content for the Grandmaster stuff? Or will it be the same content we already blasted through but with higher difficulty? I would love if each GM level has some unique areas to explore.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Is there new content for the Grandmaster stuff? Or will it be the same content we already blasted through but with higher difficulty? I would love if each GM level has some unique areas to explore.

I think it is just redoing content @ higher difficulty, but that's not totally clear yet. There could be, for example, a raid coming that is added post launch, but there has been no official confirmation so far.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Diablo end game is way more satisfying than not; however, I'd be a bit disappointed if we don't get a proper raid.