• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Javelin preference

• Ranger

Votes: 191 17.8%
  • Colossus

Votes: 253 23.5%
  • Storm

Votes: 366 34.0%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 266 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest fear for this game is content. I know it will look great, and it looks like it will control and have great systems in place.

But like Destiny, I feel like I'm going to have seen everything there is to see really fast and get bored quickly.

I hope I'm wrong, but I bet I'm right sadly.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
what is there for the "endgame" sounds severely lackluster so far...i know for some people this is enough but it sure seems like there will be a lot of bored "hobby" players(aka hardcore players) in 14 days after launch.

we wil see how it turns out but somehow i have a bad feeling about this aspect of the game

Torlain

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Probably would be best to take a wait and see approach on end game content as the Road Map should be released at or shortly after launch.

I'm going in to this with the expectation that at bare minimum they should be faster with released content for post launch when compared to Destiny and the issues they had due to their well documented and archaic engine.

I mean they would have to at least seen the issues Destiny had early on for turnaround time on content with respect to a GaaS.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
so a friend sent me a referral link to get into the beta. i dl the game and launched and it said that its no open yet. my question is does that mean im good to go or will i need to do something once it goes live

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
what is there for the "endgame" sounds severely lackluster so far...i know for some people this is enough but it sure seems like there will be a lot of bored "hobby" players(aka hardcore players) in 14 days after launch.

we wil see how it turns out but somehow i have a bad feeling about this aspect of the game
Lets hope they're working on more endgame content to be released in a relatively short period of time after the launch of the game - there's only so many times you can play same 3 strongholds and contracts to grind for better gear. I have faith in BioWare though, the devs have been really good and we're expecting a roadmap for post-launch content really soon too, so we'll see soon.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

There always is, regardless of the amount of content. Real question is whether there's enough for casual gamers. We'll see.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

That's going to happen regardless. Question is how many of those people will there be, and how upset will they be with what we get? If they do a good job there will still be a small group that blows through everything. If they do a bad job that group will be larger and more loud. Either way I expect Bioware to do a good job with the game after release, so I'm not too worried about it.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im not really fussed about the amount of content, I just want the content we do have to be enjoyable for the 1000th time of playing :)

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

BioWare put out SWTOR which had content that took 170 hrs to level one class (and there were 8 classes with each having a different story) and the hardcore players went through it in two weeks and tarred and feathered that game for some how not having enough content. They are probably learning from that and keeping some content to release over time after launch so those hardcore players don't rush through lots and lots of stuff, then complain that 170 hrs isn't enough.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
BioWare put out SWTOR which had content that took 170 hrs to level one class (and there were 8 classes with each having a different story) and the hardcore players went through it in two weeks and tarred and feathered that game for some how not having enough content. They are probably learning from that and keeping some content to release over time after launch so those hardcore players don't rush through lots and lots of stuff, then complain that 170 hrs isn't enough.

that was not the Bioware of today though...but hope remains that they have a good system for content and replayability

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Interesting - this demo build is early December not mid-December as I previously thought. They still have the old Primer and Detonator symbols in the game.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
that was not the Bioware of today though...but hope remains that they have a good system for content and replayability
Er, what? SWTOR very much is the BioWare of today, it only came out 7 years ago and BioWare Austin worked on Anthem. Heck, Drew Karpyshyn wrote for SWTOR and came back to BioWare for a while to write for Anthem too.

rakhir

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question for you guys - my favourite class from Mass Effect multiplayer was the Engineer, with Overload, combat drones and all that.
Which javelin has a similiar combat style in Anthem? I would think it's likely Storm, or a Ranger, right?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Why do people keep mixing studios? SWTOR was made by Bioware Austin and they had a budget of 200 million dollars.
Ben Irving, one of the lead producers on Anthem, was a release manager for SWTOR in 2011, and was lead producer of SWTOR in 2017. Anthem is being worked on by Austin too. Actually pretty sure most of BioWare's games have had Austin working on them.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
3 Strongholds is definitely lower than I was expecting but they sound fairly lengthy at least. Hopefully they're actually entertaining to replay.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ben Irving, one of the lead producers on Anthem, was a release manager for SWTOR in 2011, and was lead producer of SWTOR in 2017. Anthem is being worked on by Austin too. Actually pretty sure most of BioWare's games have had Austin working on them.

I know, but still the main studio is Edmonton not Austin.

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I know the answer is "out there", but I've searched for it and haven't found it yet... so, if my best friend pre-ordered the game, how does he get the code (and invites to distribute)? Is it by e-mail or do you have to request it somewhere?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I know, but still the main studio is Edmonton not Austin.
You don't think they learnt from SWTOR? And from the sounds of it, it will be Austin taking over the support for Anthem, while Edmonton moves over to work on DA4. I think it's their history we are best looking at if we want to see what they learn from for supporting Anthem for endgame content and what will release after launch.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
World looks much more condensed than what I remember from earlier reveals.

edit: saw some flying and its nice to see some more verticality.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
So basically today's reveal event is mainly just more of everything we've seen. Outside of the launch bay of course.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
From Polygon:

"As a competitor to Bungie's Destiny series, BioWare's Anthem offers enough that's new to justify its own existence. The world is pretty. The characters are tolerable. Most importantly, it moves and plays in a way that feels right. This is a competent piece of work.

Although a shared-world shooter is a departure from BioWare's solid action-RPG history, Anthem retains enough of the developer's creative signature to mark it as more than just an attempt to regain ground lost to the genuine innovation that was Destiny.

As in many BioWare games, the dialogue options, decent voice acting, and passable facial animations here reveal characters who display basic personalities, desires, and motivations. Anthem's player character, a mercenary known as a Freelancer, is in a constant state of needing (and wanting) to level up, to improve weapons and stats. The player passes through verdant landscapes, stopping occasionally to engage in battles.

But at its core, Anthem is a solid shared-world shooter that doesn't take too many risks. It feels like a fantasy world designed to be conquered, bit by bit, by small groups of pals."

I am really struck by how unenthusiastic their choice of adjectives are. It reminds me of when I am trying to write a review of an employee who doesn't suck, but isn't particularly strong either.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
From Polygon:

"As a competitor to Bungie's Destiny series, BioWare's Anthem offers enough that's new to justify its own existence. The world is pretty. The characters are tolerable. Most importantly, it moves and plays in a way that feels right. This is a competent piece of work.

Although a shared-world shooter is a departure from BioWare's solid action-RPG history, Anthem retains enough of the developer's creative signature to mark it as more than just an attempt to regain ground lost to the genuine innovation that was Destiny.

As in many BioWare games, the dialogue options, decent voice acting, and passable facial animations here reveal characters who display basic personalities, desires, and motivations. Anthem's player character, a mercenary known as a Freelancer, is in a constant state of needing (and wanting) to level up, to improve weapons and stats. The player passes through verdant landscapes, stopping occasionally to engage in battles.

But at its core, Anthem is a solid shared-world shooter that doesn't take too many risks. It feels like a fantasy world designed to be conquered, bit by bit, by small groups of pals."

I am really struck by how unenthusiastic their choice of adjectives are. It reminds me of when I am trying to write a review of an employee who doesn't suck, but isn't particularly strong either.

Yeah, that is fence sitting.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So because this is an older version of the game, the element doesn't show in the damage bar on abilities - but we do see the old primer/detonator symbols on all the abilities too. The UI in general feels more polished/accessible in the newest build (if you watch the newest videos by content creators that just got released 30mins ago) you'll see lots of visible changes from the demo we're seeing on the IGN stream right now.

Ofcourse, I'm sat here carefully watching the abilities and UI as that's what I've focused most on due to making the Ability Damage Chart.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
On the IGN livestream the developer said VIP players should should check the free demo as well, there will be some surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.