• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Javelin preference

• Ranger

Votes: 191 17.8%
  • Colossus

Votes: 253 23.5%
  • Storm

Votes: 366 34.0%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 266 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh that sounds awesome, I will be looking forward to that video series! I know having a visual representation of each ability will definitely benefit the community and help people trying to understand which ability might suit their playstyle :). One thing I am worried about is that the build version in the demo may still be using the old names, because I remember seeing a tweet from Mark Darrah which mentioned that the demo build was made in December. However, I agree that it would be great to be able to test a few things, such as explosive versus impact/kinetic damage for some of those abilities we are still unsure off!

On a related note, I just stumbled unto the colossus's flak cannon ability from a french EA gamechanger and here is the video link in case you need that to get the animation details (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8PqPOjhds). Flak cannon is the heavy assault launcher gear on the bottom right, and it looks like it is just a pure damage ability! I've also included a screenshot of the ability icon below.

Great catch! Thanks for that. I do think we'll see names of abilities be old/outdated, I may end up reverting them just so that everything from the demo is accurate on the chart next weekend. Then do a 1.1 release once the full game is out next month and we have the final names of everything and then call it a day with the chart there. I've added a little thing below the chart for the V1.0 release next week that says "All Ability names are subject to change upon release of the full game* just so people know.

I'm somewhat... upset/confused that it seems that the demo starts all players in the Ranger and then once you level up you can choose 1 other Javelin. So for example Ranger and Storm. I kind of wanted to play all 4 Javelin's across 2 accounts (Storm/Interceptor and Ranger/Colossus respectively) but looks like I'll have to play a third and go for: Ranger/Storm, Ranger/Colossus and Ranger/Interceptor. I just want to try them all out and also get as much footage and screenshots of abilities as I can to refer back to for the damage chart and such. Hope this just isn't the game and we can choose whatever Javelin we want to begin with and when we level up but a lot of people have reported that you start in the Ranger and get 1 unlock to try one of the other 3 Javelins too.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Just dug into some of the customisation a little bit. The level of customisation on offer seems to be pretty substantial and certainly more than I was expecting, this could potentially be a really deep time sink for me.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I expect there will be inscriptions that will allow you to learn into the tankiest tank, but these are all build choices.
That's what I'm hoping, giving the Colossus a Taunt ability makes me believe that as you'd be dead in a few seconds if you taunt a whole room, specially on high difficulties but it's still not clear.
Not only inscriptions, but perhaps players might actually have to work together, eg. ranger or storm puts down force field and colossus taunts everyone while in/behind the force field.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm somewhat... upset/confused that it seems that the demo starts all players in the Ranger and then once you level up you can choose 1 other Javelin. So for example Ranger and Storm. I kind of wanted to play all 4 Javelin's across 2 accounts (Storm/Interceptor and Ranger/Colossus respectively) but looks like I'll have to play a third and go for: Ranger/Storm, Ranger/Colossus and Ranger/Interceptor. I just want to try them all out and also get as much footage and screenshots of abilities as I can to refer back to for the damage chart and such. Hope this just isn't the game and we can choose whatever Javelin we want to begin with and when we level up but a lot of people have reported that you start in the Ranger and get 1 unlock to try one of the other 3 Javelins too.
Does anyone have any source on the devs saying this? I'd love to know if its true or not. Would be great to not be force everyone to play Ranger in the demo then give them the chance to unlock 1 other javelin. They should let you test whatever two you want.

For the demo, will you need to have PS+ to play the PS4 version?
Yes, they've confirmed Xbox Live Gold and/or PS+ is needed for the demo on console.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just dug into some of the customisation a little bit. The level of customisation on offer seems to be pretty substantial and certainly more than I was expecting, this could potentially be a really deep time sink for me.

Yeah the customization aspect seems to incredibly in depth. I can't wait to see what end game armor looks like and then see the crazy color schemes, decals and what not people deck them out in.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's a demo, not the live game. You have a Javelin choice to make.

Michael Gamble‏ @GambleMike Jan 17
Start with one. Pick another. Choose wisely :) but maybe encourage your friend to choose the one you didn't
See this phrasing to me sounds like you could pick any of the 4, twice... for example Storm and Interceptor. But people are saying EVERYONE starts with Ranger and then once you level up in the demo you can unlock one of the other 3. So you'll always be playing Ranger and another Javelin. I hope it's freedom to choose which ever 2 you want. I know it's a demo but just think it'd be cool to let people play whichever 2 of the 4 they want.

Edit found it:

You start the demo with Ranger, no matter what. Then get 1 unlock to choose one of the other 3; Colossus, Storm, Interceptor.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Wow, very interesting. Anecdotally, I have also noticed a shift in sentiment around the game.

Can't believe we are so close to the demos and launch.. E3 2017 reveal at the Xbox conference feels like a lifetime ago...lol.

It's a testament to how open and transparent the devs been with all the coverage and various deep dives via the streams, I can honestly say the last few weeks I've gone from being cautious optimistic about the game to now being really excited, out of all the games coming out this quarter Anthems now my most anticipated.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
See this phrasing to me sounds like you could pick any of the 4, twice... for example Storm and Interceptor. But people are saying EVERYONE starts with Ranger and then once you level up in the demo you can unlock one of the other 3. So you'll always be playing Ranger and another Javelin. I hope it's freedom to choose which ever 2 you want. I know it's a demo but just think it'd be cool to let people play whichever 2 of the 4 they want.

Edit found it:

You start the demo with Ranger, no matter what. Then get 1 unlock to choose one of the other 3; Colossus, Storm, Interceptor.

I wonder if we are able to restart the demo (or delete our save / character), if we are able I will probably try Storm during VIP and colossus during public demo.

nosleep1138

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some of these questions have been answered for a lot of you but it's a nice little collection nonetheless.

Ronin0510

Oct 27, 2017
EA/Bioware has a marketing deal with xbox for this game right? Has there been any kind of announcements for exclusives yet? Side note I'm on ps4, I'm just curious lol

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Great catch! Thanks for that. I do think we'll see names of abilities be old/outdated, I may end up reverting them just so that everything from the demo is accurate on the chart next weekend. Then do a 1.1 release once the full game is out next month and we have the final names of everything and then call it a day with the chart there. I've added a little thing below the chart for the V1.0 release next week that says "All Ability names are subject to change upon release of the full game* just so people know.

I'd be willing to hand over controller control to you on PS4 on my account if you like.

I just start a session, let you watch, then hand you control to do all the things you like.

I was planning to be a Storm, so let me know if that works or if you can do that and we can coordinate.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I just recently saw a video on this, it was a little gameplay video where the HUD was disabled and it looked insane, good enough to make me seriously consider buying, I recently upgraded my PC as well so shouldn't have a problem running it on higher settings.
One thing I'm still a little unsure of though is whether the game is viable offline, or solo, doesn't matter if it needs to be connected all the time. A majority of my time will most likely be spent that way, HUD disabled and just going around at my own pace playing solo and on occasion MP. I know the game is geared towards MP and I'm not looking at a story mode or anything, just want to be able to play, upgrade gear, unlock missions, fight different enemy types etc., while solo.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously considering pre-ordering it. Game looks so good!!
Hopefully it plays as well on my base ps4.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I just recently saw a video on this, it was a little gameplay video where the HUD was disabled and it looked insane, good enough to make me seriously consider buying, I recently upgraded my PC as well so shouldn't have a problem running it on higher settings.
One thing I'm still a little unsure of though is whether the game is viable offline, or solo, doesn't matter if it needs to be connected all the time. A majority of my time will most likely be spent that way, HUD disabled and just going around at my own pace playing solo and on occasion MP. I know the game is geared towards MP and I'm not looking at a story mode or anything, just want to be able to play, upgrade gear, unlock missions, fight different enemy types etc., while solo.

Aww yeah, bring on the legendary gifs!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I had no idea you were a memeber here. Thanks for the great gifs!

Oct 31, 2017
La La Land
I'll hook you up too if anyone from your side needs a code too

Added back. You know apart from the PC that the X is the right place (",)
Y'all the real MVPs. Thank you.

7UbA2rd.png

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Based on my understanding, you will be totally fine. All content except endgame dungeons is playable solo, and balanced based on party size, including scaling down to parties of 1. Your play style actually pretty much describes how I'm planning on playing.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0xhcBt8.gif

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Based on my understanding, you will be totally fine. All content except endgame dungeons is playable solo, and balanced based on party size, including scaling down to parties of 1. Your play style actually pretty much describes how I'm planning on playing.
Ok, cool! That's great to hear.
Aww yeah, bring on the legendary gifs!

XD
I had no idea you were a memeber here. Thanks for the great gifs!
Thanks! I actually registered when the site went live, just not been as active like I used to on the old site, apart from a few game threads here and there.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
EA/Bioware has a marketing deal with xbox for this game right? Has there been any kind of announcements for exclusives yet? Side note I'm on ps4, I'm just curious lol
No marketing campaign except that most of the footage is X1X (so maybe people assume that is the best platform). Not sure how this thing will perform on base consoles, it looks more like a cross gen title anyway. I can see this still running (enhanced) on the next gen hardware.

Ronin0510

Oct 27, 2017
No marketing campaign except that most of the footage is X1X (so maybe people assume that is the best platform). Not sure how this thing will perform on base consoles, it looks more like a cross gen title anyway. I can see this still running (enhanced) on the next gen hardware.
Yeah I bet it will be cross gen. I have a pro and a base ps4 but no 4k TV set. Lol I want one but cant afford to get one yet. Still Anthem will look great. Cant wait until I can make my javelins.

okcoolmax

Jan 21, 2019
So I haven't been following the game too much other than a quick livestream peek like once. How would you say this game differentiates itself from other loot shooters like Destiny in terms of the core focus? Is it the story? Or is it its exploration? Or gameplay mechanics?
I think gameplay-wise it's much more ability focused than Destiny. Where in Destiny your main damage output comes from your weapons, Anthem focuses more on abilities and combining them with the abilities of your teammates.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think gameplay-wise it's much more ability focused than Destiny. Where in Destiny your main damage output comes from your weapons, Anthem focuses more on abilities and combining them with the abilities of your teammates.

The way the loadouts work, there's almost feels like a Guild Wars 1 or Diablo vibe come off the game (which is wonderful)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One thing I really hope happens in Anthem is that they have some really cool and varied weapons and inscriptions for Masterwork and Legendary items.

I have recently got back into Diablo 3 and getting Legendary and having fun ways to spice up a new build, it what keeps me coming back. I can sink hours and hours into the game, just because I might get something fun!

I really hope Bioware have a good look at loot game like Diablo for ways to keep things fresh and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.