• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Javelin preference

• Ranger

Votes: 191 17.8%
  • Colossus

Votes: 253 23.5%
  • Storm

Votes: 366 34.0%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 266 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
In addition to the components that Sou Da highlighted, each of your abilities drop as gear which can have different rarity level, with masterworks and legendary versions having unique properties. These would be the "Skills" that you unlock by progressing in the story and completing higher difficulty content to get as rewards. iFirez put together that infographic above with all of the abilty information we know so far, and I think he will release an updated version when we get more data on skills from the demo.
Updated version tonight actually, with ultimates and combo effects on the chat and other minor changes and visual tweaks + any and all ability info we get from the dev livestream tonight will be added to it too.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Damn now that was a great trailer, hype levels have definitely risen once more.

I didn't know the interceptor had the decoy ability, nice to see more of the different powers available.

That spark dash move as well, oof, so nice. Really reminds me of mass effect running vanguard.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
So, it's the Monitor and some leader who are the villain and the one scene in the game, The Monitor seems to speak to our character. Hope we have more than one run in with him during the story. Aka Saren from ME.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So, as I've been making and updating the damage chart that I posted yesterday I noticed A BUNCH of stuff that's been changed in this video.

Looks like Seeker Grenades has been changed to Explosive Blaze as there has never been a grenade called that unless they renamed Inferno or Frag Grenade to this. Scratch that, at 2:46 you can see a loadout using Seeker Grenades - then what the fuck has been renamed to Explosive Blaze? I'm guessing Inferno Grenades now.
The icons for both Primers and Detonators have been updated/changed. Primer is now shown by a large thin circle outline with a smaller filled in circle in the middle. While Detonators is still shown with an explosive icon but has a ring added to it.
Interceptor has had it's Stike abilities renamed heavily. One is now called Shadow Claw and another Wraith Strike. Neither of these were the names we knew before. I have no idea which one Shadow Claw replaces (I'm guessing it replaces Star Strike) but Wraith Strike is the new name for Nova Strike.
At 5:44 there is a new icon shown next to 3 of the Colossus' abilities including Melee. It's like a star shape. It is not the same as the previous icons for Primers and Detonators shown earlier in the video - so no clue what this is.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the a.i. do anything interesting in any of the videos. They either stand completely still or run straight at the player. Having doubts about how fun the combat is going to be.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
That video was awesome. I'm progressively getting more and more hype. Anyone playing on XB1?? I hope they implement mouse/keyboard support soon after release if not already in.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hype getting big now. Seems a little late but it's probably better to hype up now than do it 6 months ago and have people forgetting.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
I keep seeing people who are worried about the stationary enemies. It's not just the one person above.

To everyone concerned about challenge and AI, but are legit interested in Anthem, please play the demo.

I think people are struggling to decouple this from Destiny. No, enemies do not dodge-roll or run for cover (that I've seen). Most of the big bosses we've seen are fairly stationary and instead throw magic at you.

I can't tell you Bioware's decision for that, but I can tell you what I think.

Unlike Destiny, I feel like guns in this game are secondary to the Javelin abilities. You have fast cooldowns and you blow enemies up very fast, either with single-target or AOE damage. Having enemies dodge-roll is pointless when skills either home-in on the enemy or blanket a very large area on the ground.

The game is supposed to be played by constant repositioning. Your Javelins can not take a lot of damage. You have to keep moving and flying, but you also have to manage your heat or you'll lose the ability to fly. Some enemies use heat-based weapons to cook your suit and keep you grounded.

It's not going to win over everyone, but I encourage people to try the demo, and once you're familiar with it, go and turn up the difficulty and use matchmaker.

Flying around, helping teammates out, blowing up a ton of enemies, managing your heat, all while dodging boss AOE-effects allows for some real chaotic fun.

Last edited:

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
I keep seeing people who are worried about the stationary enemies. It's not just the one person above.

To everyone concerned about challenge and AI, but are legit interested in Anthem, please play the demo.

I think people are struggling to decouple this from Destiny. No, enemies do not dodge-roll or run for cover (that I've seen). Most of the big bosses we've seen are fairly stationary and instead throw magic at you.

Unlike Destiny, I feel like guns in this game are secondary to the Javelin abilities. You have fast cooldowns and you blow enemies up very fast, either with single-target or AOE damage. Having enemies dodge-roll is pointless when skills either home-in on the enemy or blanket a very large area on the ground.

The game is supposed to be played by constant repositioning. Your Javelins can not take a lot of damage. You have to keep moving and flying, but you also have to manage your heat or you'll lose the ability to fly. Some enemies use heat-based weapons to cook your suit and keep you grounded.

It's not going to win over everyone, but I encourage people to try the demo, and once you're familiar with it, go and turn up the difficulty and use matchmaker.

Flying around, helping teammates out, blowing up a ton of enemies, managing your heat, all while dodging boss AOE-effects allows for some real chaotic fun.
Well said mate. That's exactly how BioWare wants their game to be. This isn't Destiny, this is completely something else. I like it for how it is as I don't really like Destiny and just played it because my mates were having fun. Anthem got me hyped for how it is made. Would you believe me if I said that having all four classes in one character played a big factor in my hype? Having multiple characters just because I wanna play different classes was never my thing. That's why in most MMO's I stuck with Mage/Warlock for the whole time. I also like the fact the in Anthem you can go solo or with a group. Yeah sometimes I wanna play but my mates aren't around, don't wanna wait just because this game needs a full team to be playable.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So, as I've been making and updating the damage chart that I posted yesterday I noticed A BUNCH of stuff that's been changed in this video.

Looks like Seeker Grenades has been changed to Explosive Blaze as there has never been a grenade called that unless they renamed Inferno or Frag Grenade to this. Scratch that, at 2:46 you can see a loadout using Seeker Grenades - then what the fuck has been renamed to Explosive Blaze? I'm guessing Inferno Grenades now.
The icons for both Primers and Detonators have been updated/changed. Primer is now shown by a large thin circle outline with a smaller filled in circle in the middle. While Detonators is still shown with an explosive icon but has a ring added to it.
Interceptor has had it's Stike abilities renamed heavily. One is now called Shadow Claw and another Wraith Strike. Neither of these were the names we knew before. I have no idea which one Shadow Claw replaces (I'm guessing it replaces Star Strike) but Wraith Strike is the new name for Nova Strike.
At 5:44 there is a new icon shown next to 3 of the Colossus' abilities including Melee. It's like a star shape. It is not the same as the previous icons for Primers and Detonators shown earlier in the video - so no clue what this is.
These symbols/icons are sending me crazy!
T27LP7J.jpg

These appear in the HUD, bottom right, next to the abilities.

I just asked 2 Bioware devs about this and the reply I got was "Something to find out :D" WTF DOES THAT MEAN -- now I'm excited - it could be a Colossus only thing.

Last edited:

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Maybe it indicates an area damage ability or a single target damage? I don't know tbh as I'm confused myself
Again, I'd agree (I've had about 100 ideas thrown at me on Discord and reddit) but it replaces the Detonator and Primer icons that are there for every other Javelin we see in the video including Ranger, Storm and Interceptor - Colossus is the only one with this icon. If everyone who's watching the stream could do me a favor tonight and just keep an eye on every ability that appears in the menu and then its icon on the HUD incase we see this star again, even for a split second. I'm kinda upset we're not getting a Colossus stream now because I want to know what this is! I've added it to the bottom of my damage chart v0.2 that I'm releasing tonight as 'Unkown' for now.

Oct 30, 2017
United States
These symbols/icons are sending me crazy!
T27LP7J.jpg

These appear in the HUD, bottom right, next to the abilities.
I was just going to send you a screenshot to see what you made of these new icons! My guess is that the detonator icon indicate what type of detonation it does (AOE blast damage) although having the same icon

It seems that venom darts is a primer (4:26 in the video)
For the storm, they *might* have changed the name from fireball to flaming orb (4:40 in the video)
For the interceptor they *might* have changed the name from nova strike to wraith strike (6:03 in the video)

I will keep an eye on the stream later today and compile any additional details I can glean!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I was just going to send you a screenshot to see what you made of these new icons! My guess is that the detonator icon indicate what type of detonation it does (AOE blast damage) although having the same icon

It seems that venom darts is a primer (4:26 in the video)
For the storm, they *might* have changed the name from fireball to flaming orb (4:40 in the video)
For the interceptor they *might* have changed the name from nova strike to wraith strike (6:03 in the video)

I will keep an eye on the stream later today and compile any additional details I can glean!
Nova Strike is 100% Wraith Strike, one of the other strike abilities is now called Shadow Claw too.
I think they've changed the name of Fireball too.
Venom Darts is updated on my chart to be a primer now.

They changed the primer and detonator icons throughout so I've done the same on the chart... it actually looks neater. But the real question is WHAT IN THE FUCK is that star icon. I like your idea of it showing AoE detonation abilities vs Single Target Detonation abilities.

broony

Oct 27, 2017

If guns are not the focus and it's abilities, then you are going to need 100s of abilities to choose from or it risks getting stale. Gun drops are going to feel pointless.

A "friend" played the alpha a gave it the benefit of being an alpha, but they are not showing much since to change opinions.

Will still see what happens with the demo.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Also, thanks for this. I'll probably watch live AND watch it through once more after the stream to triple check some of the info before releasing V0.2 of the chart. I'm surprised at how much its changed in just a day, I've had it open all day working on it when I had the chance and when I saw things too.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That right there is exactly why i'm so interested in Anthem. It's the same reason I came to vastly prefer Warframe over Destiny as well. Destiny is a fun game, but ultimately I get bored of shooting guns. It kept me engaged way longer than most other shooters since they can change up the shooting quite a bit with the gun differences, but it was postponing a battle it can't win long term. Warframe and Anthem place more of the emphasis on you and your combat abilities. It's almost like the way people talk about Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect 1 was an RPG where you use guns, it wasn't a shooter. Anthem is sorta like that, you're a super powered suit that uses guns. It's not Destiny style where it's a shooter and you have abilities.

That differentiation may sound like nonsense, but it's a huge factor on if i'll end up loving a game. I have a feeling Anthem is going to keep me way more engaged than Destiny did. I can't wait to play around with the abilities.

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Nova Strike is 100% Wraith Strike, one of the other strike abilities is now called Shadow Claw too.
I think they've changed the name of Fireball too.
Venom Darts is updated on my chart to be a primer now.

They changed the primer and detonator icons throughout so I've done the same on the chart... it actually looks neater. But the real question is WHAT IN THE FUCK is that star icon. I like your idea of it showing AoE detonation abilities vs Single Target Detonation abilities.

Based on the slot the interceptor ability is in I would assume shadow claw is either tempest strike or star strike, with my money being on star strike since we haven't seen any footage of that iirc.

Also, thanks for this. I'll probably watch live AND watch it through once more after the stream to triple check some of the info before releasing V0.2 of the chart. I'm surprised at how much its changed in just a day, I've had it open all day working on it when I had the chance and when I saw things too.

I know right !? It reminded me that all of the footage we've been seeing from IGn and the EA game changers was from a build that was a month old and the devs have been putting in work since then (and making our lives more complicated when we are collecting data haha).

Since you have such a polished infographic and the devs have been so responsive on Twitter, maybe you could tweet at them and point out that you've noticed the change in the colossus detonator icons! If they see that you're putting together a resource for the community I'd hope they would give you an answer. Worst case scenario we would have to wait 8 days to find out inthe demo :(

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Again, I'd agree (I've had about 100 ideas thrown at me on Discord and reddit) but it replaces the Detonator and Primer icons that are there for every other Javelin we see in the video including Ranger, Storm and Interceptor - Colossus is the only one with this icon. If everyone who's watching the stream could do me a favor tonight and just keep an eye on every ability that appears in the menu and then its icon on the HUD incase we see this star again, even for a split second. I'm kinda upset we're not getting a Colossus stream now because I want to know what this is! I've added it to the bottom of my damage chart v0.2 that I'm releasing tonight as 'Unkown' for now.
Will watch the stream and update you

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to get much more interested in this game. Trying to decide now which version to get, PC or PS4pro.

Does each class only have 1 Super/Ult? There are no subclasses, like Destiny has the 3 per class?

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Starting to get much more interested in this game. Trying to decide now which version to get, PC or PS4pro.

Does each class only have 1 Super/Ult? There are no subclasses, like Destiny has the 3 per class?

So far, each class only has one super though devs have mentioned that adding new abilities to suits (melee or ults) post launch was not outside of the realm of possibilities. There are no subclasses, but each javelin gets 12 abilities across 3 slots to mix and match as you like, and each results in a different build / playstyle.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
If guns are not the focus and it's abilities, then you are going to need 100s of abilities to choose from or it risks getting stale. Gun drops are going to feel pointless.

A "friend" played the alpha a gave it the benefit of being an alpha, but they are not showing much since to change opinions.

Will still see what happens with the demo.

You're not wrong in that using the same abilities could get boring. However, there's other factors to consider.

I am sorry if I implied otherwise, but guns are not useless. Although far shorter than Destiny, abilities still have a cooldown, so you will always need them.

At range, a Sniper is going to do more damage and offer pinpoint precision against enemy weak-points. And all but the Interceptor have melee cooldowns, so a shotgun is going to be more reliable at close range.

It'll also depend on the type of Javelin you use and the abilities you select. A Colossus might enjoy guns more as it has exclusive access to the heavy-guns category, and at least one of the abilities you can select passively discharges, meaning more focus on using guns and less spamming a skill

Also, from what I can tell, abilities are connected to equipment and have their own power rating. If you get a gun with far greater power than your abilities, then you may opt to use the gun until you get better upgrades.

We'll see indeed. It's not going to be perfect, but hopefully it'll all be enjoyable enough.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Damn this is not the response I wanted/needed!

I've now responded with this image... hopefully I'll get a firm answer this time:
i7E295m.jpg

Someone else has just told me that this a new 3rd thing called Stun... no confirmation on that yet.

Based on the slot the interceptor ability is in I would assume shadow claw is either tempest strike or star strike, with my money being on star strike since we haven't seen any footage of that iirc.

I know right !? It reminded me that all of the footage we've been seeing from IGn and the EA game changers was from a build that was a month old and the devs have been putting in work since then (and making our lives more complicated when we are collecting data haha).

Since you have such a polished infographic and the devs have been so responsive on Twitter, maybe you could tweet at them and point out that you've noticed the change in the colossus detonator icons! If they see that you're putting together a resource for the community I'd hope they would give you an answer. Worst case scenario we would have to wait 8 days to find out inthe demo :(
100% Shadow Claw is what used to be called Star Strike yep.
Yeah they've put in so much work, its crazy. UI designers working overtime too.
As I linked above, I did tweet them and I got a response but not really to the answer I asked but tweeted again with that image so maybe they'll answer that.

Will watch the stream and update you
Thanks, the more pairs of eyes watching and checking for abilities and their effects (Element and Primer/Detonator or Standard damage) will be super useful as I'm bound to miss something.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Well said mate. That's exactly how BioWare wants their game to be. This isn't Destiny, this is completely something else. I like it for how it is as I don't really like Destiny and just played it because my mates were having fun. Anthem got me hyped for how it is made. Would you believe me if I said that having all four classes in one character played a big factor in my hype? Having multiple characters just because I wanna play different classes was never my thing. That's why in most MMO's I stuck with Mage/Warlock for the whole time. I also like the fact the in Anthem you can go solo or with a group. Yeah sometimes I wanna play but my mates aren't around, don't wanna wait just because this game needs a full team to be playable.

Having access to all the suits does relieve a lot of the stress from having to choose just one class and hoping you chose right. It was like that for me in World of Warcraft too. I'd pick one class, then halfway through leveling it I'd see other people with neat gear or spells and I'd want to roll another character. It took me forever before I finally got class to whatever the max level was at the time.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
You're not wrong in that using the same abilities could get boring. However, there's other factors to consider.

I am sorry if I implied otherwise, but guns are not useless. Although far shorter than Destiny, abilities still have a cooldown, so you will always need them.

At range, a Sniper is going to do more damage and offer pinpoint precision against enemy weak-points. And all but the Interceptor have melee cooldowns, so a shotgun is going to be more reliable at close range.

It'll also depend on the type of Javelin you use and the abilities you select. A Colossus might enjoy guns more as it has exclusive access to the heavy-guns category, and at least one of the abilities you can select passively discharges, meaning more focus on using guns and less spamming a skill

Also, from what I can tell, abilities are connected to equipment and have their own power rating. If you get a gun with far greater power than your abilities, then you may opt to use the gun until you get better upgrades.

We'll see indeed. It's not going to be perfect, but hopefully it'll all be enjoyable enough.
All well and good, but if it's not fun to fight the bad guys, regardless of whether you are sniping or using firey AOE attacks, then it will get old fast. It reminds me so far of the division at launch where you are just pumping damage into guys who just kind of stand there while you watch bars go down and numbers pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.