• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Imgbb or imgur. They're both good

Do it like this
7ItdFcA_d.jpg
Ahh that's better. Thanks for that.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a big disconnect I am having comes from the missing flavor when it comes to enemies.
They are quiet right? I can't remember them saying or reacting to getting shot at all...
I remember the sound of certain DOOM enemies, Warcraft, Halo etc. It helps make wading through creeps less sterile.
Or they DO make sounds and it just did not reach me.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game is in real trouble unless there are major improvements from the demo. Apologies for the long post. I've been waiting until the end before commenting, in case stuff got fixed (it didn't).

On PS4, I had the infinite loading bug. I also had a sound glitch that caused all sound to cut out mid-game. Happened twice.
If either of these bugs are in the launch game, it's dead.
I also had bugs with cutscenes locking up, though I was able to skip them. Hope the triplet dude is fine, because he seems to still be a triplet though I missed the dialogue. I hope his dick didn't turn to liquid or whatever that mission text hinted at.

The enemy design and user feedback seems pretty shit compared to Destiny or Division.
It's hard to see what a lot of the enemies are doing and you often get hit by attack you can't see.
Destiny and the Division have enemy designs that make it obvious what they are, what attacks they have and who they are targeting.
Unless I'm in melee range, the "I-only-wear-black-or-sometimes-very-dark-grey" or "tentacle-armour" designs mean you can't even see which direction an enemy is facing or what it is armed with.
There is very little "tracer fire" from enemies and attacks tend to have all sorts of AoE and particle effects that make it hard to understand what is happening. I mean, I can see I'm in a "red circle" and need to evade, but which of the enemies is responsible for that attack?

The guns are very poor. Everyone's already said how they feel bad to use. I only use sniper rifles and machine guns because they have the fewest problems. Sniper rifles actually do enough damage to make them worth using and the LMG has enough bullets that I can just hold R2 to do a little damage while I'm dodging and waiting for abilities to cooldown.
For a loot game, the designs are awful. Destiny and the Division give you nice close up views to make a piece of loot look special. Anthem loot is an icon, or a generic grey-black gun.

I tried the Storm and Interceptor. Storm is best, since it has abilities that are much better and quick cooldowns. It also has a powerful ultimate attack.
Interceptor has cool animations, but melee will get you killed quickly unless you attack isolated enemies. It seems best for killing single elites/snipers, since you seem to chain-stagger them while using its continuous melee attack.
Ranger is in the middle and seems kinda pointless. The balance needs some major work. Flying high and dropping ability bombs on enemies is the easiest way to clear zones. Ignore the enemies and fly/sprint around/over them is the rule for all the objective based stuff.

I think the tooltips have been overhauled since the demo and they had better be.
Currently the game has no idea if shields are armour and if armour is health. I've seen they've overhauled icons to make primers/detonators more obvious - thank god.

Not being able to change equipment or abilities in the field is annoying. Don't make me endure a whole bunch of hub/forge/mission load screens just to try out new gear. At least in Destiny, I could quickly try a new gun and switch back if I realised it was shit.
Rear-loading all the XP and loot on the end-mission screen is a "bold move" in an online game. The bugs meant I often lost it all. Even with good netcode/servers, online games will often drop out and loosing 30 minutes to an hour of progress feels like a kick in the nuts. By also losing your gear and XP, Anthem seems to be taking a Paul Pogba runup and putting the laces through that nut shot.

Some missions seem designed for frustration. Returning relics seems buggy. I get the "hold square to deposit" and do so. The bar fills up but nothing happens. Do 2 players needs to do it at once? Is it just bugged?
Dropping off the shards is a nightmare if you missed the start because a team-mate rushed ahead. There's no guide to where the shard-plate is, so you'd better memorise the map. Fun times with new players and no communication. Twice, I was the only person delivering every single fucking shard.

And the hub. For fucks sake. I hope they fit the texture streaming issues to allow a faster run speed. The dialogue and mission text makes Fallout 4 and Destiny 1 seem great "Yes, how awesome" or "Sure, whatever". I understand more about the darkness and wizards from the moon than I do about whatever-the-fuck is going on in those Anthem missions. The tone seems really confused between and "the heart of darkness will consume us all and we need to hurry before out friend is erased from reality" and "LOL, he was annoying enough as one guy, I hope he doesn't turn to jelly!". It's like the worst parts of Andromeda's writing.

The load screens are ridiculous. It just feels so dated. It's clear that whoever deigned the demo gave no shits about first impressions, since after a tedious walk around the hub, with no introduction to anything useful (controls, the forge, etc.) you have a big static load screen than after less than 30 seconds in a bland-looking tunnel you get another load screen.

Destiny had long load screens too, but you could check out your equipment and the spaceship thing was very relaxing to watch, looked cool as your wingmen spawned in, and had a nice sounds design that goes from the chill meditation of space to a rousing climax at the end.
Anthem could do a lot better if it extended that suit-up sequence to play during the load screen. The suit-up mini-cutscene looks cool. Play that, then have your javelin do a "power-walk" down a ramp to the departure platform, joined by your team-mates. Background loading is not an unknown science.

And the sound design is shit. Especially in the hub, where a bustling marketplace and mechanics workshop sounds like being alone in a warehouse (what the fuck is with the reverb on the voices?)

I got a cheap physical pre-order that I can sell for about the same price I paid - but I'm still considering cancelling my pre-order. It needs to show major improvements or it'll be a Fallout 76 situation with "stock-clearance" prices within a fortnight.

However, it can still be fun. When it works, and when a team gels together it's great. It just needs an industrial quantity of polish. I think I'll wait for the impressions from the Origin Premium players on the 15th to see what improvements have been made. I will still have a week to cancel my "Back of the queue for you filthy hard-copy peasants" edition.

I wouldn't believe it if someone told me this was 6 years in the making, they could have looked at other games and compared

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie , but that's kinda what I expected. I was surprised to see a loading screen (infinite one too).

Check the 1:30 mark from the original reveal: https://youtu.be/EL5GSfs9fi4
Man, that's weird to watch after the demo. Curious if anything like that storm will be in the full game.

Also, that video shows the player obtaining identified loot off the ground and immediately equipping it. What happened?

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I think a big disconnect I am having comes from the missing flavor when it comes to enemies.
They are quiet right? I can't remember them saying or reacting to getting shot at all...
I remember the sound of certain DOOM enemies, Warcraft, Halo etc. It helps make wading through creeps less sterile.

Yeah, the feedback is really bad - especially switching from REmake 2 to Anthem. But in this regard the enemies in Destiny and Division also give you much more feedback.

Timurse

Oct 28, 2017
Moscow, Russia
I think this game is in real trouble unless there are major improvements from the demo. Apologies for the long post. I've been waiting until the end before commenting, in case stuff got fixed (it didn't).

On PS4, I had the infinite loading bug. I also had a sound glitch that caused all sound to cut out mid-game. Happened twice.
If either of these bugs are in the launch game, it's dead.
I also had bugs with cutscenes locking up, though I was able to skip them. Hope the triplet dude is fine, because he seems to still be a triplet though I missed the dialogue. I hope his dick didn't turn to liquid or whatever that mission text hinted at.

The enemy design and user feedback seems pretty shit compared to Destiny or Division.
It's hard to see what a lot of the enemies are doing and you often get hit by attack you can't see.
Destiny and the Division have enemy designs that make it obvious what they are, what attacks they have and who they are targeting.
Unless I'm in melee range, the "I-only-wear-black-or-sometimes-very-dark-grey" or "tentacle-armour" designs mean you can't even see which direction an enemy is facing or what it is armed with.
There is very little "tracer fire" from enemies and attacks tend to have all sorts of AoE and particle effects that make it hard to understand what is happening. I mean, I can see I'm in a "red circle" and need to evade, but which of the enemies is responsible for that attack?

The guns are very poor. Everyone's already said how they feel bad to use. I only use sniper rifles and machine guns because they have the fewest problems. Sniper rifles actually do enough damage to make them worth using and the LMG has enough bullets that I can just hold R2 to do a little damage while I'm dodging and waiting for abilities to cooldown.
For a loot game, the designs are awful. Destiny and the Division give you nice close up views to make a piece of loot look special. Anthem loot is an icon, or a generic grey-black gun.

I tried the Storm and Interceptor. Storm is best, since it has abilities that are much better and quick cooldowns. It also has a powerful ultimate attack.
Interceptor has cool animations, but melee will get you killed quickly unless you attack isolated enemies. It seems best for killing single elites/snipers, since you seem to chain-stagger them while using its continuous melee attack.
Ranger is in the middle and seems kinda pointless. The balance needs some major work. Flying high and dropping ability bombs on enemies is the easiest way to clear zones. Ignore the enemies and fly/sprint around/over them is the rule for all the objective based stuff.

I think the tooltips have been overhauled since the demo and they had better be.
Currently the game has no idea if shields are armour and if armour is health. I've seen they've overhauled icons to make primers/detonators more obvious - thank god.

Not being able to change equipment or abilities in the field is annoying. Don't make me endure a whole bunch of hub/forge/mission load screens just to try out new gear. At least in Destiny, I could quickly try a new gun and switch back if I realised it was shit.
Rear-loading all the XP and loot on the end-mission screen is a "bold move" in an online game. The bugs meant I often lost it all. Even with good netcode/servers, online games will often drop out and loosing 30 minutes to an hour of progress feels like a kick in the nuts. By also losing your gear and XP, Anthem seems to be taking a Paul Pogba runup and putting the laces through that nut shot.

Some missions seem designed for frustration. Returning relics seems buggy. I get the "hold square to deposit" and do so. The bar fills up but nothing happens. Do 2 players needs to do it at once? Is it just bugged?
Dropping off the shards is a nightmare if you missed the start because a team-mate rushed ahead. There's no guide to where the shard-plate is, so you'd better memorise the map. Fun times with new players and no communication. Twice, I was the only person delivering every single fucking shard.

And the hub. For fucks sake. I hope they fit the texture streaming issues to allow a faster run speed. The dialogue and mission text makes Fallout 4 and Destiny 1 seem great "Yes, how awesome" or "Sure, whatever". I understand more about the darkness and wizards from the moon than I do about whatever-the-fuck is going on in those Anthem missions. The tone seems really confused between and "the heart of darkness will consume us all and we need to hurry before out friend is erased from reality" and "LOL, he was annoying enough as one guy, I hope he doesn't turn to jelly!". It's like the worst parts of Andromeda's writing.

The load screens are ridiculous. It just feels so dated. It's clear that whoever deigned the demo gave no shits about first impressions, since after a tedious walk around the hub, with no introduction to anything useful (controls, the forge, etc.) you have a big static load screen than after less than 30 seconds in a bland-looking tunnel you get another load screen.

Destiny had long load screens too, but you could check out your equipment and the spaceship thing was very relaxing to watch, looked cool as your wingmen spawned in, and had a nice sounds design that goes from the chill meditation of space to a rousing climax at the end.
Anthem could do a lot better if it extended that suit-up sequence to play during the load screen. The suit-up mini-cutscene looks cool. Play that, then have your javelin do a "power-walk" down a ramp to the departure platform, joined by your team-mates. Background loading is not an unknown science.

And the sound design is shit. Especially in the hub, where a bustling marketplace and mechanics workshop sounds like being alone in a warehouse (what the fuck is with the reverb on the voices?)

I got a cheap physical pre-order that I can sell for about the same price I paid - but I'm still considering cancelling my pre-order. It needs to show major improvements or it'll be a Fallout 76 situation with "stock-clearance" prices within a fortnight.

However, it can still be fun. When it works, and when a team gels together it's great. It just needs an industrial quantity of polish. I think I'll wait for the impressions from the Origin Premium players on the 15th to see what improvements have been made. I will still have a week to cancel my "Back of the queue for you filthy hard-copy peasants" edition.

You basically summarized my thoughts. Especially about those pretty dangerous things like an ability to loose it all because of the loot distribution after you complete expedition, oh, and infinite loading screens.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

troubled development? 5-6 years for this end result seems somewhat strange if i am honest, there has to be more to the story why they completely changed the way loot works and stuff...

and yeah, that original reveal is like a different game as the game we played in the demo, from looks over ambiance/immersion to combat, the VIP demo was like 20% of the reveal quality. this game got watchdogged hard...

it is like the No Mans Sky reveal and the endresult if i am honest

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree that all guns feel bad. I like shotguns and sniper rifles - including the one with explosing bullets, heh. Assault rifles are also okay.

SMGs and pistols suck though. Just no cool visual/audio feedback.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Couldn't get to play it.

I was only able to get into a mission once - kept getting stuck at the 95% infinite loading screen.

And the one time I got in I had no clue what to do.

Maybe they'll fix that for the regular demo.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
You basically summarized my thoughts. Especially about those pretty dangerous things like an ability to loose it all because of the loot distribution after you complete expedition, oh, and infinite loading screens.
From my personal experience you don't lose anything if you crash out during a mission. I tried the stronghold four times and crashed out every time. After playing Freeplay for 10 minutes and quitting out all the loot from those Stronghold runs showed up in the post-mission screen.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
When you crash you don't lose any loot, it just appears on your next "ended mission" screen.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's one of my biggest issues with the game aswell. The feedback is just not there. Seems like the enemies are just standing in place waiting to get killed. But then they tank your health in a couple of seconds and you wonder with what lol

Timurse

Oct 28, 2017
Moscow, Russia
From my personal experience you don't lose anything if you crash out during a mission. I tried the stronghold four times and crashed out every time. After playing Freeplay for 10 minutes and quitting out all the loot from those Stronghold runs showed up in the post-mission screen.
My game crashed a few times (PS4 Pro) in the middle of the missions, I reconnected to existing expeditions aaaand it didn't connect me to them, just dropped me into the new sessions with me alone. No EXP, no loot. I tried free-roaming and ending expedition to no avail. My blue items were left forever.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

If they make significant sounds, it's impossible to pick out of the mix. A lot of the times that players went down during the demo were because they were flanked and had no idea until two mobs just opened up on them shredding em before they noticed. Usually there's some kind of audio feedback that helps with that but none here.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I know the developers said the demo is an old build but can they at least come out and say these issues aren't in the full game? The way they talked about the infinite loading makes me believe they didn't even find it as an issue until now.

My game crashed a few times (PS4 Pro) in the middle of the missions, I reconnected to existing expeditions aaaand it didn't connect me to them, just dropped me into the new sessions with me alone. No EXP, no loot. I tried free-roaming and ending expedition to no avail. My blue items were left forever.
It's weird, sometimes they give you the items back and sometimes they don't, another bugged thing probably.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
They certainly need to have more fanfare when Loot drops. Personally, I don't mind not knowing what the gear is until I get back to base. Feels a little like Dark Zone in the Division but I can understand that many want that instant gratification of find loot and equipping it.
This stands out to me as a surprising issue - it should be much more exciting to find cool loot in a looter game imo!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm glad people don't know what they got until they get back and they can't change their load out mid mission.

Few things annoyed me in destiny than people stopping to fuck around in their goddamn inventory every 5 minutes because they gotta drop they wanted to equip. Save it for after the mission dudes. This is a timed strike!

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yep, I got booted out from infinite loading screen twice from the Stronghold before it was finished and thought I'd lost everything, but then when I re-ran the stronghold a third time and completed it, I had a ton of loot in there that definitely wasn't from just that run.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Really loved the Colossus after I found a really cool build. A combination of the electrocuting ability and the flamethrower dealt massive area of effect damage. It got to the point where I rarely used my actual guns to kill the enemies because I'm just priming and detonating combos myself. So good.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I know the developers said the demo is an old build but can they at least come out and say these issues aren't in the full game? The way they talked about the infinite loading makes me believe they didn't even find it as an issue until now.

In that blog post they said that they had encountered it before and fixed it, or so they thought. It resurfaced now at massive scale, but better now than on 15th. They can still get it fixed and avoid far larger PR shitshow.

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the demo with the Ranger and Storm. I even went through the Fortification on hard twice just to see how it went. My overall impression was negative and here is some focused feedback if the devs are reading:

Menus: The menus are incredibly clunky. I feel like you could have most of the launch mission options on one screen instead of the different tabs. The forge is a mess and needs some easier options when it comes to color and texture picking. The weapon menu is the worst of the bunch with its diagonal listing of items and no sorting of rarity/weapon/class type to be seen.

Gunplay: The guns all seem very lackluster. I tried out the different weapons and I don't think I found anything that really felt punchy other than a sniper rifle that had to charge an explosive shot. In short, using the guns felt boring.

Flight
: The flying looks cool but I always feel like I am going 10mph even when full throttle. The Storm's ability to hover is great and it only makes me wish some of the other classes could hover a little longer. As soon as you are on the ground the gameplay becomes incredibly standard so being able to fly and shoot/use abilities makes the whole experience better.

Classes: The storm is the only class that I found fun to play overall but even that was only with specific skills equipped. As soon as you were not playing with Ice/Electric combo powers even the Storm was boring. As I mentioned before, not being able to hover very long with the Ranger made it feel like I was playing an older standard TPS like Lost Planet.

Tarsis: I'm sure it was a bug but even though I disabled motion blur and chromatic aberration I was still getting these effects visually in the fort. The forced slow walk in the fort is annoying making you feel like a ghost haunting the halls. The few people you can talk to in the demo seem pointless as the conversations don't do anything to world build. I know they were not selling the story in the demo but this is Bioware and interesting characters should be a focus.

Graphics: Overall, the graphics are nice. The world looks lush and wild with nice colors and lighting. The details on the Javelins really pop. The enemies however have a very basic look to them. Their design when you look at the development art is great but when you see them on screen, it does not look the same. Almost like they kill most of the detail that makes them interesting.

AI:
The AI just seems to either charge you or sit back and snipe depending on the enemy. I never felt like I had to worry about being flanked or surprised in any way. The turrets are effectively annoying but it is so easy to just sit and snipe them with your abilites. I never felt like I was pushed out of cover by other enemies although I did have to fall back a couple times on hard while using the storm.

I have EA access so I will probably play the 10 hour trial to see if there are improvements but if I don't see major changes I might give this one a pass and pick up some of the single player games coming out next month until the Division 2 hits in March.

Oct 26, 2017
In that blog post they said that they had encountered it before and fixed it, or so they thought. It resurfaced now at massive scale, but better now than on 15th. They can still get it fixed and avoid far larger PR shitshow.
Ya, its better they see issues now, but if it wasn't fixed in another build, I doubt the fix will be ready by the 15th.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Ya, its better they see issues now, but if it wasn't fixed in another build, I doubt the fix will be ready by the 15th.

They will and are throwing a lot hours and men at it, they have to. If they don't get it snuffed out from main branch via day 1 patch on 15th and 95% loading screens happens like it does in this demo build... scale will be massive and it will be disaster for BW.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm glad people don't know what they got until they get back and they can't change their load out mid mission.

Few things annoyed me in destiny than people stopping to fuck around in their goddamn inventory every 5 minutes because they gotta drop they wanted to equip. Save it for after the mission dudes. This is a timed strike!
I agree, especially for long missions.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

So annoying! Also my issue is finding stuff and using it right away, only to find it sucks and I waste time/die. Diablo had this issue slightly, since you swap out skills and weapons backwards and forwards when stuff sucks.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I posted earlier in the thread but other than the infinite loading bug this really scratched my mass effect multiplayer itch. I barely played but certainly ran into some enemies who were almost re skins. The blue thing in an orb is just a blue banshee with less screaming haha

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

"Hey, there's a countdown on this puzzle/boss!"

"Yeah, yeah, wait I gotta check my inventory to see the goodies I got, hehe."

*Party dies 2 minutes later*

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't feel like a worthwhile tradeoff. You can't do it in free roam, either. The only place you can change gear is at a forge. Which means any time you want to change gear, it means a return to town, and then a return to the field, perhaps only to discover that your new setup isn't that appealing after all. Diablo got this right. You can't change gear in a timed rift. You can do it nearly anywhere else, though.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Once we start to get unique named gear I think those should get pop up right there and then for what you just got. It will feel lame if you know you got some named goodies, but all you see is just burned orange text stating rarity.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't agree that all guns feel bad. I like shotguns and sniper rifles - including the one with explosing bullets, heh. Assault rifles are also okay.

SMGs and pistols suck though. Just no cool visual/audio feedback.
yea shotguns feel okay, but they don't sound like shotguns. they sound soft and unsatisfying. No power or weight; it's just a noise.

Also, sniper rifles are weird because they have this strange float to them. You pull the trigger and the scope sort of floats up a little bit, then back down. Just a very unnatural sort of action for a weapon recoiling in the hand of a human (or human in a suit). There's no snap, no crispiness. Compare to any other sniper rifle in any other game. It's just a very odd feeling thing.

Other weapons have potential and some even feel pretty good, but all of them are betrayed by awful soundFX that are a combination of too soft and too unrealistic, lacking in both presence and power. The result is a bunch of weapons that sound like toys, pea shooters and lawn mowers. The weapons in the E3 demo sound like proper weapons. Go watch that trailer again. The difference is immediately noticeable.

I don't know what happened with the sound here but I'm not happy about it at all and I hope the final release has sound that seems more appropriate for the weapons they are attached to. Every other relevant looter-shooter/shooter does the soundFX better and its important as most of our time playing this game will be spent firing these weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.