• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
does the game even has armor loot? i only saw weapons, the 2 abilities, buffs/ammunition dropping but no armor/suit parts.

and another thing, there is only one "super" per class (where you push up on the Dpad). sure there is lots of individual customisation for the suit but actual loot to earn? seems lacking

No, there is no armor loot. They wanted people's personalization options (how your javelin looks) separate from how your loadout options (how your javelin plays). You might be able to get new personlizations options thru playing the game, but it isn't normal armor in the sense that it is purely cosmetic only with no stats.

In total, there is two weapons + one support gear + six components + launcher + grenade for Ranger, same # for other javs altho the specifics differ. That's a total of 10 slots that impact your character's stats, compared to, for example, the eight that is present in Destiny. There is plenty of loot to earn, I think.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Ah ok, but it doesnt even matter bc whem you dont ever see your face as far as we know, still that's good.
No armor system, there's passive inscriptions but yeah. And only one super per class is also lame as hell, should be at least two. What happens if you like the main abilities of a javelin but hate the ult or vice versa? Shit out of luck
You have 6 components slot which range from having more health, carring more ammo, doing X more damage on X abilities , cooldown reduction and stuff like that.

Soviet Bear

May 25, 2018
Made the same mistake. Much though I like the physical look of the Interceptor class, and thought the additional speed would be fun – it's far too fragile to be viable for me, and the speed boost isn't seismic. Wish you could try out all four classes in the demo, but it doesn't look like you can (though I'm only level 13, maybe that opens up by the time you hit the cap?).

Triple dash yo. But fair enough if it's not viable enough for you.

I almost never get downed playing as interceptor on hard in the stronghold.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Andromeda's sound design is better and skill system is deeper. It has a thruster pack so you can double jump, hover and shoot, quick dash etc.

The game lacks a lot of the strategic options of ME3 but as an RPG shooter it's great.
Its a fun game in itself, nothing groundbreaking. Not like we have a lot of scifi RPGs to choose from these days so I'd go for it if thats your thing. Go in expecting a B scifi movie storyline and characters and I don't think you'll be disappointed. If your expecting something as strong as ME 1-3 you will be though.
Good deal, thanks!

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I like the game. Storm is a fun Javelin to use. It takes some getting used to the controls and the awful menus. But once you familiarise yourself with it, it seems solid. The loading being bugged is spoiling the experience a lot however. The crashing is happening more than not. We died on the Stronghold boss and it crashed on the loading to respawn.

The constant loading to get into everything breaks immersion, as does having a separate Tarsis for each player. That just doesn't work in an online co op game. You want to be able to tag along and see each other's Javs before you start your game.

Customisations are very cool and quite extensive. That's definitely a strong point.

It does feel very Destiny to me in almost every way.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, played through the Stronghold on hard...wanted to go for it one more time before the demo was over. Boss going smooth, people died, went to res and we party wiped. Guess what happened, you won't believe it infinite load.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Made it all the way to the end of the stronghold mission with the boss. Whole team dies. Goes to a loading screen since we have to respawn. Gets stuck at 95%. Reboot game and it doesn't even give the option to rejoin the mission. So much wasted time.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Uhh, I was just able to unlock the other 2 javelins I hadn't gotten yet. Did they just unlock everything or did I get lucky?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
people are clear they want raw input, not only for aiming. none of this "you need to practice" or "getting the right sensitivity" as Ben says would matter at all if we had true 1:1 flight/swimming controls. not hard for bioware to understand. negative acceleration with a mouse feels awful and i don't know how bioware doesn't see that. no matter how much the controls get improved, as long as negative acceleration with mouse is present then the controls will still be trash.

other things like the shitty UI, lack of FOV slider, not being able to bind certain keys...really just reinforces the idea that the PC version is an afterthought.

I don't disagree with your statement on negative acceleration but I'm also not willing to say that the improved controls are trash without trying them. Flying as it is currently is feels cumbersome but workable to me. The improvements made there that I haven't experienced yet *could* be enough for my tastes. The Swimming is absolutely awful so I'm happy to hear they're still working on it.

It's definitely clear that PC wasn't the first thought with a lot of the design decisions but that fact isn't something that upsets me. One platform or another was going to be the lead in terms of design afterall. As long as Bioware is willing to make adjustments to the platforms that need it, then it's no big deal.

exactly this...now we have people coming in how "tactical" the combat is with two abilities which combined give a combo and a little bit of dull shooting in between...

bring in the trinity ffs and real synergy between the classes other than "i do move a and you do move b"...would get me real interested in those games if there were much more distinct synergies at play than randomly laying waste on a map with 4 people where it feels like every player is doing his thing..

Eh.. it's a little simplistic to reduce it to just "two abilities." Each Javelin has different effects when Detonating a combo and each Primer has strengths and weaknesses (Fire and Acid are stronger against enemy Armor; Electric and Ice stronger against Shields). Ranger detonate does high single target damage. Colossus AoE damage. Storm AoE spread of the Primer effect. Interceptor gains a defensive Aura that gives the Primer damage out as a DoT to enemies surrounding it. So, for example, a Ranger could use a Frost grenade on a pack of mobs freezing some, Storm detonates it to spread the Freeze to the entire group, Colossus detonates second to generate a massive AoE explosions taking them all out. Now this type of combo chain would require coordination unlikely to be seen in a group of randoms but that doesn't make it simple. And this isn't my saying it's more or less tactical than what the standard Trinity Roles provide. It's different. But it does have some depth. Especially when you add to the Support gear. Bulwark is a shield dome, Muster an attack buff dome. Battle Cry a taunt, Shield Pulse a group damage reduction. Wind Wall and defensive wall, Quickening Shield a Cool down reduction dome. Target Beacon a Damage buff, Rally Cry a cleanse.

So there's some real possibilities with regards to synergizing builds not just individually but as a group. To see that fulfilled though would require taking more time with the game than just a couple days on a demo that's capped mid level with mid rarity gear.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is it the HDR that makes this look so bad or is it just that bad? Haven't tried in SDR yet. Can't face another 10 infinite loads....

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
When a stronghold goes well and teams play their roll, it's damn great. Just played a Tank roll with Colossus. Excellent.
My last 3 Stronghold runs have been with competent players and had been an absolute blast. The combat mechanics are great.

I just hope the improved team UI in the later build is good

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

"As a further thank you, all four javelins are available now in the Forge for players who have played in this weekend's demo. Won't get a chance to jump in? They will be waiting for VIP participants next weekend! Log out and back in to see them if you're in game. "

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My last 3 Stronghold runs have been with competent players and had been an absolute blast. The combat mechanics are great.

I just hope the improved team UI in the later build is good
Yes, the dev stream they did have some better team UI options, like team details and also a location compass.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. They unlocked the other javelins 2 hours before the game closes.

What a clusterfuck.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

"As a further thank you, all four javelins are available now in the Forge for players who have played in this weekend's demo. Won't get a chance to jump in? They will be waiting for VIP participants next weekend! Log out and back in to see them if you're in game. "

Oh shit!! Interceptor here I come

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Eh.. it's a little simplistic to reduce it to just "two abilities." Each Javelin has different effects when Detonating a combo and each Primer has strengths and weaknesses (Fire and Acid are stronger against enemy Armor; Electric and Ice stronger against Shields). Ranger detonate does high single target damage. Colossus AoE damage. Storm AoE spread of the Primer effect. Interceptor gains a defensive Aura that gives the Primer damage out as a DoT to enemies surrounding it. So, for example, a Ranger could use a Frost grenade on a pack of mobs freezing some, Storm detonates it to spread the Freeze to the entire group, Colossus detonates second to generate a massive AoE explosions taking them all out. Now this type of combo chain would require coordination unlikely to be seen in a group of randoms but that doesn't make it simple. And this isn't my saying it's more or less tactical than what the standard Trinity Roles provide. It's different. But it does have some depth. Especially when you add to the Support gear. Bulwark is a shield dome, Muster an attack buff dome. Battle Cry a taunt, Shield Pulse a group damage reduction. Wind Wall and defensive wall, Quickening Shield a Cool down reduction dome. Target Beacon a Damage buff, Rally Cry a cleanse.

So there's some real possibilities with regards to synergizing builds not just individually but as a group. To see that fulfilled though would require taking more time with the game than just a couple days on a demo that's capped mid level with mid rarity gear.

begs the question if it will play out as you described...no one knows at the moment

especially what you describe will lead to massive slowdowns on console, not looking forward to that tbh, when i read massive AOE explosion i can already see the single digit frames .-)

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
All in all I really enjoyed the demo. Mass Effect 3 is basically my favorite multiplayer experience ever and I can definitely see me and my old ME3 crew playing this for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got a chance to try this today. When this janky mess decides to work it's fun. I'm into it. But the demo is such broken shit that I think the hour or two I spent with it is enough for now on console.

I'm on X and the 30fps is surprising and doesn't feel good for this game. I'm going to see if I can try the demo on PC also, see how that performs.

It feels like a game that will be really good in 6 months but it releases next month. Whoops.

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
That's dope. I won't have time this weekend unfortunately, but I can't wait to try out the Storm and Interceptor next weekend. Really curious how they play, and it's great to get some time with them before the release of the game to figure out which ones I want to unlock first.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
dont think ill try the open demo since got other games to play now but im still looking forward to the game despite all its issues. When it worked I had fun, It just needs a solid end game and good consistent content released. Let us grind and level up for roughly a month and then drop a big ol fat raid on us.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Low quality post incoming.

This game is a piece of shit. I was hyped for it and thought a third person destiny with iron man gameplay would be incredible. Turns out it would be a derivative lazy outing with (based on my demo) shit puzzles? Unsatisfying gunplay and traversal? SHIT dialogue? And somehow a worse menu system than destiny the master of shit menus.

I couldn't even be bothered to retry the demo that failed 95% of the time, so this view is based on like 2 games.

May 18, 2018
That's pretty cool. I will try the Storm next week. I'm liking the Interceptor but melee seems not worth it sometimes.

Edit: spelling correction

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Fired it up to give it a proper go tonight and it's not great....

Was on free roam getting used to controls and stuff and decided to go into a cave and met with a loadscreen which is odd for an "open world" game, also no indication it was going to load, no zone border effect or anything. So inside it just said clear the area/camp of enemies and in the middle of fighting about 5 minutes later it just goes into another load screen randomly out of nowhere and said I completed it, huh?

So instead of completing and leaving me in the game world to leave the cave and continue playing it FORCES me out of playing the game mid battle, into a load screen, then a completion menu with the only option being...load to fort tarsis. It couldn't just leave me alone and play the game and let me carry on exploring and leave the cave, back where I was?

--

There are too many game interrupting decision in this, like playing with people and being forced into a load screen because you're a nats arsehair away from someone and it's doesn't like that, apparently.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I tried the storm this afternoon after getting to level 12, in all seriousness, who would pick anything either than the storm!? For one that javelin looks great and its aesthetics are impressive. A game like this is all about the look of the character and off the bat the Storm javelin looks the most unique.

I'll try the interceptor next week, I have no urge to play the Colossus at all though. I'm actually really enjoying the game, and the fact that it has match making for everything is a Godsend. I just wish the story is good, that's my seldom wish, for it to have an engaging story. There are glimpses of the bioware magic in the town area but I'm wishing the overall story has that same magic to it.

I still have EA access, I know as a member we're allowed to play it 5 days prior and usually up to 10 hours, if the story hooks me then, I'm going to purchase it for sure.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Neat! I went in, customised a Colossus and started a mission. Infinite loading. Quit, restart Origin. Resume game. Crash.

Eh. I hope they will somehow patch this demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.