• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
but they can make a huge gameworld right from the start so it'll take longer before you reach the repetitive endgame...and then plan ahead with some major DLC drops...

In my experience, players always, ALWAYS exhaust base game content VERY quickly before the developers are even ready to talk about the next content drop and whatever the update brings in terms of content, that too will be exhausted in a matter of days. The player base is always hungry for new stuff and that won't ever change.

Hindenburg

Dec 30, 2018
I'm a longtime BioWare (primarily DA and ME) fan, and I really wanted to like this game, but just... don't.

I tried the demo last weekend, and was not impressed. I'm perfectly willing to let them sort out the actual bugs and problems, but still find the screen shake and other fx to be more than I want to deal with. Also, I'm just generally much more interested in SP than any sort of MP experience, so - I'll be passing on this one.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The character stats page wasn't in the demo and seems not to be currently in the game in general and that needs to be corrected but to assume that the stats benefits listed on the items don't work or don't stack when the system is set up to randomly roll the stats is a bit much. Now if you were talking about a soft or hard cap to the benefits.. that would make sense. But not for them not to stack at all.

I never once anywhere said that bonuses don't stack. I have only ever questioned whether or not you get the bonuses from both weapons at the same time, or if it only applies to the currently equipped weapon. It has never been a question of stacking, it's been a question of whether or not they are both active at the same time.

While the focus is on the special aspects of the Masterwork/Legendary items, he also mentions the benefit of stacking inscription bonuses to further improve the effects. And that's the first yt video I happened to pull up as it was one of the ones posted earlier in the thread.

This was never even questioned by me. I already assumed that they stacked in that way.

Ammo Compartment comes with a flat ammo boost as it's primary function. There are similar components specific to weapon types as well. These don't overlap with weapon inscriptions. Component have the ability to be stacked as well so it wouldn't make much sense to allow that if the stats simply overwrite or overlap each other.

I never said anything about an Ammo Compartment. I said +10% bonus ammo from a component.

Anthem-New-Footage-Talkin-END-GAME-Difficulty-u0026-Content-HD-1280x720-Mp4-mp4-snapshot-05-41-2019-02-05-20-17-02.jpg

Anthem-New-Footage-Talkin-END-GAME-Difficulty-u0026-Content-HD-1280x720-Mp4-mp4-snapshot-01-29-2019-02-05-20-13-54.jpg

So you're telling me again that this is not an overlap on the modifier tables? You seem to think I'm saying that one mod overwrites another if it's the same type, which isn't what I said.

The video linked above that discusses the synergy of the items should be more than enough to show that you simply need to have an item equipped to benefit from its stats be they unique bonuses from named items or just the inscriptions on the item itself. The only exceptions are the unique bonuses that specifically state they have an activation requirement, i.e. when you use X skill you get a bonus to Y for Z seconds.

And yet, it still doesn't answer the only real question about gear I actually had. It mentioned absolutely nothing about combined weapon bonuses being active at all times. That video doesn't actually say anything new that wasn't in any of the other videos I watched. It's weird too how you wanted to make sure that I knew that weapons didn't come with "mods", yet in this very video he mentions crafting weapons that can come with random modifiers. 7:17

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
but they can make a huge gameworld right from the start so it'll take longer before you reach the repetitive endgame...and then plan ahead with some major DLC drops...

Vanilla Destiny 2 have lots of sidequest missions (some of which are more interesting than the main story missions), and yet people don't bother with them because they are not as effective as grinding Public Events to level up.

No matter how many content the game had before endgame, from my observation people will only do the one that are the most effective in term of levelling.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been into multiplayer loot shooters like Destiny but I loved the Anthem betas and plan on buying it...but I'm confused about these Grandmaster levels...are they pretty much like NG+ where you replay the same missions and Strongholds except on higher difficulty levels?
They are just harder difficulty settings for the same content you completed. Games like Diablo do that often.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Vanilla Destiny 2 have lots of sidequest missions (some of which are more interesting than the main story missions), and yet people don't bother with them because they are not as effective as grinding Public Events to level up.

No matter how many content the game had before endgame, from my observation people will only do the one that are the most effective in term of levelling.
Vanilla The Division also had quite a lot of missions at endgame, and yet people only repeat Lexington Center over and over again. Because it's the easiest and quickest way to gear up in pve. Another example is the infamous Bullet King farm.

So yeah, what people want in these games is how many the carrots on the stick available, not how many playgrounds you get to choose to chase the carrots.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm starting to believe that part 2 of the Gameplay series video will be out later this week/early next week. They've said they were working on it not too long ago and Ben recently tweeted this:

Which makes me believe he's talking about the next video as we already know that's going to be about difficulty and endgame.

Hey, where is this screenshot from? That Tactical Advantage component is new to me.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just after watching a couple of end game video's, my feed is infested with "drama" and click-bait about Anthem. I should just stop using YT for anything other than direct links. Already cleaned out like 20-30 subs last year because of this shit.

Clear your history and search history. Close your browser. Open browser and go back to Youtube and it should be clean of everything but subscription content and the usual trending stuff.

The Anthem click bait is pretty funny.

Kneecap

Oct 27, 2017
Not even 1 week ago a developer said on reddit that the pilot skill tree had been revamped and that they were saving the reveal for launch. Today they say that this feature is eliminated. Does bioware's left hand know what its right hand us up to? Yikes. Announce a feature is revamped, wait 5 days, kill the feature. All within 3 weeks of launch.

I preordered the game, and hope it turns out, but it looks like anthem has the mass effect andromeda blues.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Not even 1 week ago a developer said on reddit that the pilot skill tree had been revamped and that they were saving the reveal for launch. Today they say that this feature is eliminated. Does bioware's left hand know what its right hand us up to? Yikes. Announce a feature is revamped, wait 5 days, kill the feature. All within 3 weeks of launch.

I preordered the game, and hope it turns out, but it looks like anthem has the mass effect andromeda blues.

The skill tree seemed really pointless to me in the closed alpha. I won't miss it and I don't think it needs to be revamped. Gear, Weapons and Components provide plenty of stat bonuses already tbh.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What's the gear score level cap for launch version?

Wait, really?

Having played the closed alpha, the pilot skill tree is definitely a fine addition to the roleplaying aspect of the game. That'd be a bummer.

Kneecap

Oct 27, 2017
The skill tree seemed really pointless to me in the closed alpha. I won't miss it and I don't think it needs to be revamped. Gear, Weapons and Components provide plenty of stat bonuses already tbh.
Some of us looked forward to the rpg mechanic that a well implemented pilot skill tree would've provided. Seems that cutting features and dumbing down (or "streamlining" if you work in PR) is the path of least resistance when crunch time comes.

This game has been in development since 2012. Oh really?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Some of us looked forward to the rpg mechanic that a well implemented pilot skill tree would've provided. Seems that cutting features and dumbing down (or "streamlining" if you work in PR) is the path of least resistance when crunch time comes.

This game has been in development since 2012. Oh really?

A well implemented skill tree is a rare sight in a video game. I don't see the point. There are still RPG mechanics in other areas, like customising your gear build for stat boosts you desire.

Anyway, the official response is that they may revisit the skill tree idea after launch, so you may get what you want eventually.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to believe that part 2 of the Gameplay series video will be out later this week/early next week. They've said they were working on it not too long ago and Ben recently tweeted this:

Ben is responding to a screen cap I took from this video. That twitter user took it from a post I made on reddit. Same video was posted in the discord FYI

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm stoked for the game and I'm sure I'll have a blast playing with friends. We all really liked the demo.That being said I do think there won't be enough content to sustain interest though. I feel like the Division 2 will end up stealing a lot of the player base.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I never once anywhere said that bonuses don't stack. I have only ever questioned whether or not you get the bonuses from both weapons at the same time, or if it only applies to the currently equipped weapon. It has never been a question of stacking, it's been a question of whether or not they are both active at the same time.

Everything you have equipped applies. There is no reason to think otherwise since all inscriptions roll randomly. If they didn't stack, they wouldn't roll randomly because then a bad roll would be a *useless* roll.

I never said anything about an Ammo Compartment. I said +10% bonus ammo from a component.

Yes, I mentioned the Ammo Compartment because it *is* a component. Ammo Compartment is just the specific name of it.

So you're telling me again that this is not an overlap on the modifier tables? You seem to think I'm saying that one mod overwrites another if it's the same type, which isn't what I said.

I'm telling you that they do not overlap. They stack. I had a Frag grenade during the demo that have +6% Grenade Damage on it 3 times. It hit three times harder than a Frag grenade of the same level and quality without that inscription. I tested it.

It's weird too how you wanted to make sure that I knew that weapons didn't come with "mods", yet in this very video he mentions crafting weapons that can come with random modifiers. 7:17

I've already explained why using the term "mods" is different from using the word "modifiers." "Mods" implies adding something to an existing item. It doesn't matter what it's technically shorthand for because shorthand terminology within games takes on it's own meaning, separate from the original words. I.e. "mobs," "creeps," "aggro," "frag" (as a verb), etc...

Hey, where is this screenshot from? That Tactical Advantage component is new to me.

I just googled "ammo compartment" and it came up on Google images. I didn't have any screenshots on hand.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
There are some legendary guns and a cataclysm tease
The video in general is really cool, looks like they've tweaked difficulty %'s and expanded upon stats on weapons for you to see easily. We also now seem to know all 3 Masterwork/Legendary versions of the Light Machine Guns too, they all look really cool. Some of their bonus properties are going to be insane in some builds. I'm guessing the video was supposed to release later this week and the PlayStation Korea channel scheduled it to release too early or made it public by mistake? I imagine the devs are also planning to talk about the updates and changes to difficulty and endgame more openly this week too.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
The video in general is really cool, looks like they've tweaked difficulty %'s and expanded upon stats on weapons for you to see easily. We also now seem to know all 3 Masterwork/Legendary versions of the Light Machine Guns too, they all look really cool. Some of their bonus properties are going to be insane in some builds. I'm guessing the video was supposed to release later this week and the PlayStation Korea channel scheduled it to release too early or made it public by mistake? I imagine the devs are also planning to talk about the updates and changes to difficulty and endgame more openly this week too.
All 3 LMGs? I only saw two.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Everything you have equipped applies. There is no reason to think otherwise since all inscriptions roll randomly. If they didn't stack, they wouldn't roll randomly because then a bad roll would be a *useless* roll.

Yes, I mentioned the Ammo Compartment because it *is* a component. Ammo Compartment is just the specific name of it.

I'm telling you that they do not overlap. They stack. I had a Frag grenade during the demo that have +6% Grenade Damage on it 3 times. It hit three times harder than a Frag grenade of the same level and quality without that inscription. I tested it.

I've already explained why using the term "mods" is different from using the word "modifiers." "Mods" implies adding something to an existing item. It doesn't matter what it's technically shorthand for because shorthand terminology within games takes on it's own meaning, separate from the original words. I.e. "mobs," "creeps," "aggro," "frag" (as a verb), etc...

I just googled "ammo compartment" and it came up on Google images. I didn't have any screenshots on hand.

Seriously, thanks for at least trying to help I guess, but this is pointless since you aren't even reading what I've said. You keep arguing things I'm not even arguing against in the first place as if I were.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Ben is responding to a screen cap I took from this video. That twitter user took it from a post I made on reddit. Same video was posted in the discord FYI

The difficulty scaling vs loot chance makes no logical sense.

Hard is +52% for a 100% chance at MW.
GM1 is +165% for a 150 % chance at MW.
GM2 is +430% for a 200 % chance at MW.
GM3 is +950% for a 250 % chance at MW.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is the game, as far as the demo is concerned? I'm waiting for my PC (it's in the shop), so I don't have a chance to try the demo.
Shows lots of promise in terms of mechanics and core content. Demo lacked stability, performance. I would suggest to watch a few videos on it.

This one might be a good start.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Interesting. So I guess endgame activities for launch version is already final:

- daily/weekly/monthly challenges for masterwork crafting materials
- normal & legendary contracts (random missions)
- trials (redoing strongholds)
- public events (cataclysm)
- free roam

I think I can see how Anthem endgame will play out now. Instead of redoing certain strikes/missions over and over again like in Destiny/The Division, people are going to take various contracts with randomized elements (places & enemies) instead. People aren't gonna farm strongholds, because doing one without a trial would be not as effective.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't even find the pilot skill tree during the demo. Still don't know what it even looks like lol.
I wonder if Anthem with do a straight PvP deathmatch style (Somehow) or will they go the BR route? I was trying to think today what they could do down the line to keep people playing, outside of the strongholds etc.
Maybe a MOBA inspired mode? 4v4. 2 or 3 lanes with towers and a jungle (towers could help limit you just flying around everywhere). In match leveling that gives you better stats and access to more/better abilities. The creeps would be the enemy factions with the Ash Titans as each teams final guardian.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- free roam

I think I can see how Anthem endgame will play out now. Instead of redoing certain strikes/missions over and over again like in Destiny/The Division, people are going to take various contracts with randomized elements (places & enemies) instead. People aren't gonna farm strongholds, because doing one without a trial would be not as effective.
Some contracts would be weekly, so repeating strongholds and free-roam is going to happen. Especially how the difficulty increases high tier loot chances. Although what is most effective of strongholds and free-roam events are difficult to say. Likely free-roam.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
The higher the difficulty the higher the chance, that's all the logical sense it needs. If it scaled linear it would be too high a chance.
Hard is +52% for a +100% chance at MW.
GM1 is +165% for a +150 % chance at MW.
GM2 is +430% for a +200 % chance at MW.
GM3 is +950% for a +250 % chance at MW.
FTFY!

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Hard is +52% for a 100% chance at MW.
GM1 is +165% for a 150 % chance at MW.
GM2 is +430% for a 200 % chance at MW.
GM3 is +950% for a 250 % chance at MW.

First % is the increase in enemy health.
Second % is the increase in chance. So if getting a MW on normal is a 5% chance on normal, it is a 17.5% chance on GM3.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The higher the difficulty the higher the chance, that's all the logical sense it needs. If it scaled linear it would be too high a chance.

FTFY!
First % is the increase in enemy health.
Second % is the increase in chance. So if getting a MW on normal is a 5% chance on normal, it is a 17.5% chance on GM3.

I understand that but from those numbers the incentive to run harder content seems low. You could just speed run hard for your 5% chance in 10 mins than spend 30 minutes on GM2 for a 15% chance. If the whole end game revolves around farming for better loot, those drops rates need to be more enticing.

Also, the reduction of GM3 from 3100% to 950% is massive. That's a very significant drop in difficulty, how does that happen so close to launch?

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of ballancing going on right now. Wouldn't even call that final, just launch-ready. How difficulty scaling, loot chances and such turn out in the long run will decide how ballancing is modified later on. If it really isn't worth it, it will be corrected.

That said, Diablo III had similar scaling (and difficulty mechanics) and it worked out just fine.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that but from those numbers the incentive to run harder content seems low. You could just speed run hard for your 5% chance in 10 mins than spend 30 minutes on GM2 for a 15% chance. If the whole end game revolves around farming for better loot, those drops rates need to be more enticing.

Also, the reduction of GM3 from 3100% to 950% is massive. That's a very significant drop in difficulty, how does that happen so close to launch?

You and I are literally guessing percents. The fact of the matter is that if you run content on the hardest difficulty, you are 3.5x times more likely to get the best loot than before, which is actually a lot especially for those hardcore grinders.

Furthermore, damage reduction means nothing without context. You have no clue how much damage guns were doing before to even say that it is now easier. This is why developers don't like putting placeholder figures anywhere, because people run with it. People on this very forum were saying that they won't buy this game until they can confirm that the rare loot they get won't have +0% weapon damage. Like really?

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Media had only tried GM1 and that was a challenge. I would assume they threw a number at GM2 and GM3 to balance it after the launch loot changes. There might even be some health changes to the enemies to lead to this change too, or even some abilities from them.

Balancing is always changing, even shortly before launches.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

- free roam

The Cataclysms won't be at launch.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty numbers will need a lot of balancing to make the hard content worthwhile.
People will run easy mode 5 times if it is quicker than doing GM3 once and gives equivalent drop chances.
This is a genre where people sat shooting at a cave in the tutorial zone for hours becasue it gave a slightly better loot drop rate than doing high-level missions.

People also seem to forget that easy mode exists and that this is the base %
Hard wasn't +100% of normal, it was +100% of easy (and normal was +50% of easy). I assume the same applies to the supposed "current build" numbers.

Based on the demo, it was much much quicker to rush the stronghold on easy compared to having to fight through tough and hard-hitting enemies on hard.
It certainly wasn't worth a 33% increase in rare drop chance (normal=150% base, hard=200% base) if you wanted to be "efficient".

Still, these numbers should be easy to adjust. I'm hoping Anthem does a much better job than Destiny in rapid response and game-world updating. Bioware have talked about having tools that allow quick modifications, while Bungie always complained about how hard it was to make even the most trivial changes to the live code.

I hope the legendary contracts provide some interesting challenges and aren't just "Repeat this story mission on GM2" or "Kill 5 giant-scrotum-on-spider-legs bosses" for a bonus drop. Maybe they'll have modifiers like Destiny Nightfalls that make people rethink their builds.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Do you (or someone else) have a link to part 1 of this? I've seen it referenced a few times but as I'm pretty new to learning about this game I have no idea what I'm looking for.

That's part 1 of the This is Anthem Official Gameplay video series. Part 2 leaked last night on Playstation Korea, but since then all versions of it and videos referencing it seem to have vanished.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, video is down.
Yep, wish I'd watched it this morning instead of saving it for when I got home, bah. This is down and the PS Korea one that clearly shouldn't be available is still fine. Picked the wrong one to cheekily view on borrowed time.

EDIT: Just re-watched the Korea one, reloaded and now that's gone, too. But I imagine that's been cloned plenty of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.