• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tons of audio issues on my end too

Got the total audio cut out bug that SWBF II has too, guess it's a Frostbite issue.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing a bit as interceptor, and once I saw some enemies I just had this overwhelming feeling of boredom lol. I don't think I'll pick this up at launch day. I'll see how the next few months will be for this game before I pick it up.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell what is going on in firefights. There's just shit everywhere, can't see a damn thing.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
PC version. Performance is kind of shite and quality level doesn't seem to matter. PC is a custom loop, 2080Ti.

Gameplay is - ok. The flying and hovering is kind of cool. Gunplay is average. One small but nice touch is the circling camera and heavy DOF when idle.

Controls seem janky but I could get used to them.

Overall feels quite Destiny'ish to me. That game I got bored of pretty quickly though, so not sure how long I'll stick with this when I get it, which def. won't be at launch.

I can't tell what is going on in firefights. There's just shit everywhere, can't see a damn thing.

Lol yeah sometimes it's hard to spot enemies.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bleh

I'm a little frustrated in the direction they seem to have gone for the enemy design.

They have wide open maps and suits with so much mobility and vertical freedom. Why are 99.9% of the enemies I'm fighting in the demo simple ground troop trash mobs?

I really hope there are some interesting enemies with more advanced AI that actually force me to use my suit's mobility and freedom of movement.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've read that the SWTOR team know what they're doing when it comes to MP features, maybe that's why the main BioWare team is handing off the game to them after release. The current team seems inept in handling basic features in this genre, so it's probably a good thing that the SWTOR team is handling the rest of the game post-launch.

Have you played SWTOR? Nothing about that game inspires confidence in their abilities to make a decent online, multiplayer game. Every part of that game that isn't the various storylines is sub-par and they've been developing away from it being an actual worthwhile MMO for years. It also has the worst MTX system in the entire MMO genre and possibly all of gaming.

The only positive about Edmonton handing the game off is that they'll be back working on the next Dragon Age, otherwise they are the team you want working on your game of choice, not the B team.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
gee i wonder how other shooters like Destiny solved it

They didn't, cause it's not a problem. In Destiny is part of the basic leveling process, what matters is power level, and that's not tied to XP gains.

The whole point of these games is to find the most efficient way to do things all the time, doesn't matter how if it's just faster than doing something else, if they don't get that a lot of people will hate the game cause it will feel like a constant struggle with time.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
I also got the audio bug. Didn't go away until I closed game and relaunched. Also just ran into a game breaking bug. I couldn't continue the stronghold because the tunnel door at the end of the water wouldn't open.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't, cause it's not a problem. In Destiny is part of the basic leveling process, what matters is power level, and that's not tied to XP gains.

The whole point of these games is to find the most efficient way to do things all the time, doesn't matter how if it's just faster than doing something else, if they don't get that a lot of people will hate the game cause it will feel like a constant struggle with time.

Which is funny because Anthem also has a power level, indicated in the right top corner of the screen in the forge. It goes up as you equip higher quality loot. They don't seem to do anything with it though (it's an endgame thing I guess).

Rokam

Oct 29, 2017
Are there any abilities not in game currently? I've yet to see Venom Bomb... and of course it's the one I want for my build.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Performance seems big dooky on PC. Enough that it instantly turned me off from bothering with it past 10 minutes.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Just started the demo and I have to say, Fort Tarus seems like one of the most lifeless and useless spaces I've seen in a AAA game. No music, no hustle and bustle, dead-eyed NPCs. Why does it exists? It's not a social space to see other players, and walking around is already getting annoying. It's feels like it could have been replaced with a menu screen and lost very little.

Also, it looks so bad on a base PS4. The frame rate is chugging constantly and it looks so muddy.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I have this strong feeling this game is not going to sell well AT ALL. The demo was just a really bad demo. Showing the game off like this to anyone who might be interested is going to KILL sales.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah so I kinda enjoyed the VIP demo but coming back in a week later I'm finding this game a bit of a bore. Don't think it's going to be a buy from me.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say one thing, this demo gave me a greater appreciation of...excellent single-player games like Uncharted 4, Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War, Breath of The Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, etc.

This game gave me a greater appreciation of GaaS games that do it right like the division and destiny 2.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I have this strong feeling this game is not going to sell well AT ALL. The demo was just a really bad demo. Showing the game off like this to anyone who might be interested is going to KILL sales.

it will still well, from the Bioware name, and the setting, from the cover it looks like an Iron Man looter shooter

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Im just amazed how a game that has been development for so long with a development team that has been so good in the past, with the backing of EA turn out to be so average. Game feels like it was made in one or two let alone 5-6 years.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Took six hours for the demo to download, then when I launched it, it was just a black screen with audio. Alt-tab didn't work. CTRL-alt-del didn't work. Ended up hard rebooting my computer.

Neat

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the PC demo for the hell of it. Performance seems kind of all over the place for me ( 4670k and 1070) but generally ok. Maybe its just the demo build but man, this feels really janky for a game coming out in a couple weeks. This just doesn't seem like a good first introduction to the game as a demo. The main story area (Tarsis?) was almost totally silent- I'm hoping thats a bug? Jarring to have all these people milling around in whats supposed to be a big city and yet its mostly silent with just a dull murmur of background voices. Honestly though, bug or not, nothing was hooking me story wise at all in that area.

And the menus are just so clunky to navigate with mouse/keyboard. The controls in general with mouse/keyboard were enough for me to play it for maybe 30 minutes and then uninstall it. The flying is supposed to sort of be the big differentiator here, right? Maybe somebody should tell BioWare that flying shouldn't feel like garbage then if you're using a mouse/keyboard.

I kind of figured this wouldn't be my cup of tea but I was kind of surprised by just how unappealing this game was to me from how unpolished the demo was. There is maybe a cool game here down the road if they can make it control better on PC but I'm just not seeing anything in it that makes me think of it as a BioWare game, which I was hoping to maybe get a glimpse of in the demo. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Flying feels like I'm Iron Man.

But that controls are awful.

Interceptor was fun though. But I'm not buying this.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The biggest issue for me is the lack of content. They already reuse so much content in the game and couldn't make more than three Strongholds? That isn't a good sign for how quickly they'll be able to push out additional content.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one big freeplay area is so lifeless. How many of these are there in the game?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how intense this game is on CPU and Ram. Because seeing all these reports of high end GPU's not getting good results really makes me wonder what is the bottleneck here.
LIke I said I have had very good performance all along.

So after playing a ton I have to say I love the combat system. Its much more fun to me than division 1 and even Destiny.

My main issues are with the story content. The voice acting is terrible and the missions in the demo where generic af.
The no raid thing might be a bad thing, or might be a good thing.
In Destiny Raid's are the only endgame I enjoy, since their strikes are garbage and the pvp in destiny was never fun to me, outside of 2 v 2.
If the "strikes" in Anthem are actually of high quality I wont have an issue. Not having pvp is a good thing, you can feel how much more freedom they have with the skills since they dont have to tune it down due to pvp balance.
But they need to release more strikes than just 3.

My biggest issue is actually the loot which does not bode well for Anthem. Its just not exciting in the demo. Its too wonky to play around with builds and the lack of visual change on your javelin when getting new stuff is a big no no.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the missions and have a few thoughts, overall it was fun enough.

Cons:
  • Framerate in the common area is trash
  • Enemies dying but slowly phasing off the screen, seems like they may still be alive and then they just disappear?
  • Enemies just leaving the instance while fighting them
  • One kick from server mid mission
  • Unable to change loadouts while in a mission
  • Boring mission objectives, wtf was that dumb puzzle supposed to do besides be frustrating
  • Loading screen to get to modify your load out, cmon
  • Loading screens once on planet
Pros:
  • Fun combat
  • Great movement
  • Looks pretty enough
Can't help but compare to Destiny:
  • Spider tank enemy, cabal shield enemies, lmao some of them feel like straight rips
  • Warsat type objectives lol
  • The headshot kills just don't have that satisfying feel to them when directly comparing heavy hand cannons
  • Uninspired supers
  • Collecting planetary materials
  • The fort isn't even a social space...
Jury is still out:
  • Variation on Javelin playstyles
  • Interesting loot
  • Longevity without PvP
It's all going to depend on the endgame for me. It's fun enough to play and with friends will be a blast due to the social aspect but if the endgame is lacking (or any aspect of it such as fun loot or fun mission to replay) and there is no PvP this will be shelved for The Division 2 really fast. I'm a huge Destiny fan and this just felt like a Destiny mod (the good and the bad) without the satisfying shooting.

I think I'll be waiting on feedback after it's been out for a few weeks, but ultimately all 4 of us got a big case of the "I've seen this before and am already tired of that."

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
I loved the sense of verticality but ... there are far too many things just, off. It really makes me sad.
This is the end ... isn't it?

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
Dear lord, what did they do to the flight controls? It was almost perfect for more me last weekend, all I had to do was turn the Flight Precision to 80. It feels off for me now. The closest approximation I can get is tweaking the other flight controls, however I did get the swim controls to work a bit better.

Oct 27, 2017
finally able to play and do the mission on my laptop (i7 8750, 16GB, 6GB geforce 1060, connected to 1440p WQHD Samsung monitor (no freesync or g-sync).

First, game runs fine. No slowdowns, etc. Surprised, but not complaining. Graphics looks great but, to me, frostbite engine is starting to show its age a bit. Think it's time EA upgrades/improves the frostbite engine.

For the most part, I have no issues w/ KB&M controls. Flying does take a bit of time to get used to, but nothing to complain about. Not going to change any the settings until the game comes out. Really enjoy the combat and not as bullet spongy as Destiny 2 or as other games.

Haven't really dabbled in crafting. Only played w/ the Ranger javelin but enjoyed it and probably will stay with it. Story goes a bit strange after the first mission but I don't mind that at all. Actually, I welcome it as its something new IMO. Really enjoy the puzzle aspect the game, but in game chat would be a welcome addition, but not a deal breaker to me.

Overall, I'm still looking forward to the main game and the main reason why I subscribed to Origin Premier on the PC.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I can't remember the last game I played with this much loading. It really does feel like an early PS3 game. I floated a little too far away from the fight as a Storm and then had to sit through another minute long load in the middle of the boss fight to be moved a couple feet back into the fight. It's nuts.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So this demo has convinced me to get this game even though I'm concerned about the amount of content. Having a blast with Storm, although I'm having some bug issues.

I guess it helps that I'm not looking for a grindathon game with an infinite endgame. If the story mode is decent and the endgame is good for a couple of fun raids per week with some fun new content every couple months I'll be content.

can other javelins fire while hovering like the Storm? or is just flying a movement mechanic without being able to shoot

They all can but only the Storm can hover almost continuously.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah, the game is going to sell like crazy. I said, months ago, it would be their best selling game and as disappointed as I am by most of it I stick to that claim. I just don't see any world in which this game doesn't become a huge seller. The question is, once everyone has the game how long is it going to be until the shit hits the fan and the community turns on Bioware? Because, as much as I think it's going to sell, I absolutely believe the honeymoon will be extremely short and that people will be looking back at the Destiny and Division launches favorably to this one.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So I finished that first quest. I like the look of the game, though the daytime lighting in the hub town feels too harsh. Was kind of hurting my eyes. Maybe I need to mess with my monitor's settings a bit. I can play on ultra, though it didn't look a great deal better than high settings to me. Most of the town feels lifeless. A lot of bald dudes too.

The combat feels fine to me, but I was super confused during most of the first mission. I think it'll take some practice for me to figure out. Also, I fucked up and salvaged all of my loot at the end. I was tired and for some reason thought "salvage" mean that my loot was what I "salvaged". Thought I was moving shit into inventory kind of like opening a chest in other games lol. I had a hard time seeing the enemies. I'm colorblind, but the colorblind options weren't really doing it for me.

As for performance, the only stuttering I had was when I was zooming back out from a conversation for some reason, and occasionally when turning in the hub town. Otherwise, it was smooth with a good frame rate. I played for a total of maybe an hour, and had one disconnection early on while looking at the mission select screen for awhile. After that, I had zero issues.

My basic specs for comparison: Windows 10 Pro, i7-6700k @ 4 GHz, 32GB RAM, and an 8GB RX 480, 60mb/s internet.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how intense this game is on CPU and Ram. Because seeing all these reports of high end GPU's not getting good results really makes me wonder what is the bottleneck here.
LIke I said I have had very good performance all along.

So after playing a ton I have to say I love the combat system. Its much more fun to me than division 1 and even Destiny.

My main issues are with the story content. The voice acting is terrible and the missions in the demo where generic af.
The no raid thing might be a bad thing, or might be a good thing.
In Destiny Raid's are the only endgame I enjoy, since their strikes are garbage and the pvp in destiny was never fun to me, outside of 2 v 2.
If the "strikes" in Anthem are actually of high quality I wont have an issue. Not having pvp is a good thing, you can feel how much more freedom they have with the skills since they dont have to tune it down due to pvp balance.
But they need to release more strikes than just 3.

My biggest issue is actually the loot which does not bode well for Anthem. Its just not exciting in the demo. Its too wonky to play around with builds and the lack of visual change on your javelin when getting new stuff is a big no no.
You might be right about CPU and RAM. I'm not getting a lot of the performance problems, despite having an inferior GPU than a lot of people complaining about it in here. Also, I really agree with you about the loot. I didn't even notice if I was picking any up. It leaves no impression.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I don't get the backlash, honestly, but then again I haven't played it. But from the streams of this I've seen it looks like a version of Destiny that I actually kinda want to play. Anyone interested in making a quick list of the things that suck about Anthem? Bad controls? Does it not have any of the dialogue trees or story that Bioware is known for? Lots of glitches and technical issues that will probably be fixed as a result of releasing the Beta? What makes it bad?

EDIT:

Played through the missions and have a few thoughts, overall it was fun enough.

Cons:
  • Framerate in the common area is trash
  • Enemies dying but slowly phasing off the screen, seems like they may still be alive and then they just disappear?
  • Enemies just leaving the instance while fighting them
  • One kick from server mid mission
  • Unable to change loadouts while in a mission
  • Boring mission objectives, wtf was that dumb puzzle supposed to do besides be frustrating
  • Loading screen to get to modify your load out, cmon
  • Loading screens once on planet
Pros:
  • Fun combat
  • Great movement
  • Looks pretty enough
Can't help but compare to Destiny:
  • Spider tank enemy, cabal shield enemies, lmao some of them feel like straight rips
  • Warsat type objectives lol
  • The headshot kills just don't have that satisfying feel to them when directly comparing heavy hand cannons
  • Uninspired supers
  • Collecting planetary materials
  • The fort isn't even a social space...
Jury is still out:
  • Variation on Javelin playstyles
  • Interesting loot
  • Longevity without PvP
It's all going to depend on the endgame for me. It's fun enough to play and with friends will be a blast due to the social aspect but if the endgame is lacking (or any aspect of it such as fun loot or fun mission to replay) and there is no PvP this will be shelved for The Division 2 really fast. I'm a huge Destiny fan and this just felt like a Destiny mod (the good and the bad) without the satisfying shooting.

I think I'll be waiting on feedback after it's been out for a few weeks, but ultimately all 4 of us got a big case of the "I've seen this before and am already tired of that."

I see. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2017
Played extensively on PC and PS4 today. Loading screen bug is gone and the game runs smoothly for me now.

I had a lot of fun and finished Stronghold twice, once with my friends on PS4 and once with randoms on PC. This is the most fun co-op shooter I've played in a while. I hate Destiny and I hate EA but for some reason I love this game. Once you get the movement and the way to play, everything else clicks. I had the most fun with the Interceptor and Storm. It's a must buy for me at this point.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there are some problems but I just had a session where I had an absolute goddamn blast. I was playing as the interceptor in the purple area or whatever where we wound up fighting some bugs. That whole mission was bonkers as that mech. I was constantly flying, unflying, shooting throwing stars, dashing in to do some melee damage, running away, popping some shots off... etc. The gameplay loop was fucking awesome as that mech. It's just that there are so many issues that seem like they could have been solved with a six month delay. Gah.

Ennsa

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I don't get the loading screen bug from the last beta I can finally play the missions and also get Colossus right away.

I got an explosive sniper rifle that only has 4 shots but it helped pick off those turrets in the stronghold, then run around with my shield drawn to pickup ammo and keep at it. Then my entire team quit on me when we couldnt find all 12 of those echos (I think we only got like 5).

Kinda disappointed with shotguns. They do decent damage but they feel off to me. Maybe it's because the last game I used shotguns was Insurgency Sandstorm.

I got used to flying with mouse and kb now, but it's still not as good as I'd hope it to be.

Overall I'm having with the demo, but I don't see myself enjoying it for very long. Will wait and see how the game turns out after launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.