• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Annnnnnddd I'm out. I was playing the stronghold mission with randoms which was fun, but the game then decides. Ups connection issue check your internet. Doy. And booted me out. No progress for the last 15 minutes, and the game does not have the option to put me back to the people I played with. It is a fun game to play though, especially if you figure out how to play the Colossus. But everything else is just pure annoyance. Like this game smells: WE NEED TO PUSH THIS OUT BEFORE Q1 ENDS OR OUR STOCKS WILL DROP.

This is a next gen console game, this is not a X1X or PS4pro game, and while some people are saying. Yeah sure they'll fix it before release, even The Division did not piss me off this much, and that is a better looking game, with quite frankly more fun enemy AI.

The AI in this game is dreadful. It makes the game no fun to play, and it will either just stand there, or shoot you with pinpoint accuracy.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
My experience with returning to the demo so far:
- hopped back in as a level 12. Went to mission marker to finish the Mathias questline. Cut scene froze - no dialogue, just music playing. Skipped out, got a message that the missions was completed, have no idea what happened.
- went to the forge to unlock my javelins. Got a prompt that I had 3 unlocks waiting. I unlocked the Storm and Colossus but the game wouldn't let me unlock the Interceptor (still showed 1 unlock remaining, but holding the A button did nothing).
- went to customize my Ranger and the model never loaded in.
- went to back out to choose another javelin and the menu froze, forcing me to restart.

That was my 5 minutes. I'll try again after work?

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Ok so this is basically just a TPS Destiny with mechs. Just go around a big world and fight hoards of random enemies with a loose story to tie everything together. Gonna be a hard pass from me.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Annnnnnddd I'm out. I was playing the stronghold mission with randoms which was fun, but the game then decides. Ups connection issue check your internet. Doy. And booted me out. No progress for the last 15 minutes, and the game does not have the option to put me back to the people I played with. It is a fun game to play though, especially if you figure out how to play the Colossus. But everything else is just pure annoyance. Like this game smells: WE NEED TO PUSH THIS OUT BEFORE Q1 ENDS OR OUR STOCKS WILL DROP.

This is a next gen console game, this is not a X1X or PS4pro game, and while some people are saying. Yeah sure they'll fix it before release, even The Division did not piss me off this much, and that is a better looking game, with quite frankly more fun enemy AI.

The AI in this game is dreadful. It makes the game no fun to play, and it will either just stand there, or shoot you with pinpoint accuracy.
I kind of wonder if maybe we were just horribly underleveled for it. I was getting my ass kicked for like, no reason. I think I'm out, besides the Origin trial until this game gets fixed some more. It feels like it needs way more tuning.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Solo play still sucks. Enemies pop in and out of the world and will magically spawn right behind you. On top of that they still spawn 500 enemies at a time and even on normal a yellow named enemy takes like half an hour (no exaggeration) to kill. I did some event in free roam with another player and after we killed the boss literally nothing happened, no "atta boy", no triumphant music, no acknowledgment, nothing. Flying is still fun, but the rest of the game feels unfinished and about as deep as a puddle.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This demo is EXTREMELY boring and the gunplay and AI aren't anywhere near interesting enough to sustain a service product over several years. I don't understand why this game is so plain. Even the flying with the amount of cool down etc sucks. It doesn't even feel good to control. Also why do enemies spawn right by me instantly?

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
Ok so this is basically just a TPS Destiny with mechs. Just go around a big world and fight hoards of random enemies with a loose story to tie everything together. Gonna be a hard pass from me.

Could say the exact same about Diablo and any other looter shooter. Sounds like this was never the game for you.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna try Storm, any recomendation of best skills? I have some shit of running strongholds last weekened.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I am usually a SP gamer but i have my rare MP experiences and i did a brief run in Destiny 2 which had a very fun gameplay.
I can't feel the same or even close from the little time i dedicated to Anthem.

I know this is an old build and all that but i wanted to play a demo of what is the game going to be and not experience a demo that shows how bad things were before they are fixed.

I wish for a "good" demo to happen to see how things will be but all in all i can see that this game is not for me. I did not get the feeling of a loot game since all of the time i did not know where and when i was picking loot. I ran out of ammo a couple of times and i could not find any nor did i had (or probably found) the option to change my weapon. I had all those issues because there was not some form of tutorial to teach me some of the basics.

I think the artists did a good job with the world but i was trying to navigate through it so i am certain i missed many great details to look at. I had some brief interactions with the NPCs of this small settlement of Fort Tarsis. I spoke to a quest giver for a manifold (which became a combat mission) and a bartender, neither of them made me care. It could have helped the worldbuilding if i could be able to learn more about General Tarsis and the location which, in turn, could have helped me accommodate in this new world i entered but these were locked for the main game.

I ll try some more when i return from work but while i know i am not the most appropriate person to critique the game from this demo i also have hoped for something better than what i saw.

P.S.: I had no connection issues or stuttering problems, the loading time was not long so the demo ran fine on my PC.

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This demo is EXTREMELY boring and the gunplay and AI aren't anywhere near interesting enough to sustain a service product over several years. I don't understand why this game is so plain. Even the flying with the amount of cool down etc sucks. It doesn't even feel good to control. Also why do enemies spawn right by me instantly?

Plain is a good word, it's just so... generic. The gameplay feels very slow and boring, it doesn't have any sort of hook to keep it interesting. Compare it to Warfame which has one of the best feeling combat systems ever made, you can play that game over and over again because it's simply fun to play, Anthem doesn't have that at all. Repetitive loot grinders need to feel good to play, it's the reason WoW has never been dethroned, no one has ever been able to come close to their gameplay feel. For me Anthem is far behind both Warframe and Destiny 2 in gameplay feel so you have to ask what's it bringing? Not a lot is the answer. Flying could have been awesome but it handles so poorly, and you burnout so fast, so it's relegated to a travel mechanic.

Sun

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna try Storm, any recomendation of best skills? I have some shit of running strongholds last weekened.

Dunno if they're the best skills, but Ice Storm and Burning Orb have been working well for me so far. I just use the ice skill to freeze enemies (stopping before the explosion so there's no cooldown) and orb to blow em up ezpz.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dunno if they're the best skills, but Ice Storm and Burning Orb have been working well for me so far. I just use the ice skill to freeze enemies (stopping before the explosion so there's no cooldown) and orb to blow em up ezpz.

I liked having the combo of the ice shots (primer) and the lightning strike (detonator). Great for crowd control on the stronghold, especially the boss fight.

Thanks! will try both, seems like Ice spells are good starters.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I only got 15 mins with the storm but I like it. Framrate seems to take a hit on the one X though, it's worse than the ranger from last weekend.

Ended up with two ice things on it, so I still can't prime and detonate. DOH!

Will keep reading the thread but not sure I can deal with all the hot takes at the moment.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, gotten 2 different game crashes already. First time game froze completely, second time it just closed the game

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Played 15 minutes, kicked out twice, and dumped back to the main area so have to run back to get into my javelin and start again! Also had some enemies just disappear from in front of me.

Might give this a miss tonight.

Oct 26, 2017
The legs are the weak spot. The first time I fought it, it was a bit rough, but there's a cliff that's behind Escari that'll keep you out of harms way from mobs and most of Escari's attacks.
Down the legs and then the main body is weaker. Need to use combos well.

Nice one! Yeah I'm quite enjoying this fight but really in general I really enjoy the fights. The A.I. Is very very good in my opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
Only problem I've had is getting the boot from a freeplay session once. Got to keep items I picked up though.

Enemies disappearing when a fight is about to start is a bummer but that's gotta be something that can be resolved.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of quick questions:
  • Can you alter the screen boundary (PS4)
  • Is there a crouch button?
I've seen what looks like cover but I can't crouch behind it.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Something screwy going on with stuff that didn't happen last week. Often when coming out of a fight and hovering my storm has no gun and skills don't work. Have to land for them to come back. Also tried doing a strong hold and had to quit out, randomly we would all die in an instant out of nowhere. Guess it's network shit but dam that so not cool.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Atrocious first impression, Janky as hell. Washed out visuals, Audio is low and all you hear is clunk clunk clunk from the jumping, Pop in is all over the place, Also it crashed my ps4pro after disconnected from the server.

Just a complete way to make me and my friend not buy the game on release.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really that kind of game.
It's not a problem, it just seemed like the game was presenting cover points with no way of taking advantage.

Played the first mission and enjoying it so far. Looking forward to seeing what's to come.

Why the fuck do you walk so slow in the hub/social area
Haha, my first thought on the game was "please don't let this turn speed be something that I can't change". But it wasn't consistent - sometimes it was nice and quick.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm done with the demo. I played a lot of the vip one and this is just the same stuff with a small bit of optimization and the loading bug seems to be gone. I bought origin basic for a dollar so I'll try the launch version before a final take but so far while I like some of the abilities(Storm is so much more fun than all the other's imo) I think the gunplay is bad and that killing enemies with them is not very fun. Killing enemies with abilities can be fun but the guns feel like an afterthought.

I think the environment will get boring. It looks good but rather samey but maybe the full game will have more variety. I hate the UI and the menu system in general. I don't like the way you get loot in that it's just shown to you in a menu at the end of a mission. I want to see the boss explode in exciting loot not just instant fade to black. I don't think I like the game tbh and I think it feels off but if the final version is heaps better like has been promised then that will be great.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So far I've gotten kicked off the server twice saying no server found and then I got stuck on and endless inventory loop bug. The long leading screens really break the immersion factor. I just really feel bad for people who are gonna buy this half baked game at launch. It's just sad to see a beloved developer like Bioware go down this treacherous path.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Just started playing. Wtf is going on with the frame rate? I'm on PS4 Pro and this shit is like sub 30fps. I'm just walking around the beginning area but goddamn this feels off and really janky. Turning left or right almost gives me motion sickness.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The framerate on the X is really unfortunate here. It feels so sluggish to play as a result. EA needs to further optimize or drop a Performance mode with a lower resolution.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man this game runs so buttery smooth on pc. So beautiful and no framerate issues at all. Combat and flight with controller feels fantastic. I am super pumped now

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing. Wtf is going on with the frame rate? I'm on PS4 Pro and this shit is like sub 30fps. I'm just walking around the beginning area but goddamn this feels off and really janky. Turning left or right almost gives me motion sickness.
To me it didn't seem too bad in general, but there are some definite significant drops. The hub area is actually worse than (at least the first mission) 3rd person gameplay.

The framerate on the X is really unfortunate here. It feels so sluggish to play as a result. EA needs to further optimize or drop a Performance mode with a lower resolution.
Yeah I'm on Pro with a 1080p TV so I'm hoping for a performance mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.