• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
What is with Bioware and dead eyes lately? :/

You would think they'd make extra sure they didn't look so offputting after the Andromeda problem...

cluk

May 22, 2018
Menus look really nice and refined.

Voice acting and animations are acceptable at best.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
So correct me if i'm wrong, but this game has a similar loot table to Diablo 3, where loot of any rarity can drop from any source? So it's unlike Destiny which forces people into raids and other non-matchmade content to get access to the best gear. If true, it's one of the best things i could have asked for myself.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
So correct me if i'm wrong, but this game has a similar loot table to Diablo 3, where loot of any rarity can drop from any source? So it's unlike Destiny which forces people into raids and other non-matchmade content to get access to the best gear. If true, it's one of the best things i could have asked for myself.
You are correct, the loot pool is the same across all activities. At least as of now according to the devs.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
You are correct, the loot pool is the same across all activities. At least as of now according to the devs.
That's great. I assume raids have a higher chance to drop high end gear though, which is fine. Pretty sure i saw a video talking about this, or one of their streams actually.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Awful faces and dialogue. Your characters voice sounded so generic and bad. Its essentially the tower from destiny without others.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Lol Alpha gameplay. Its hilarious when studios are so scared to call something Beta, they call everything Alpha. Even this close to release, surely no one actually believes any product has ever been in alpha only one month out. Esp with a project as large at a AAA game, with all the features they need to nail down as early as possible, They've probably been in beta since this time last year.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Alpha gameplay. Its hilarious when studios are so scared to call something Beta, they call everything Alpha. Even this close to release, surely no one actually believes any product has ever been in alpha only one month out. Esp with a project as large at a AAA game, with all the features they need to nail down as early as possible, They've probably been in beta since this time last year.
The game went in alpha in october. A game doesnt get in beta a year before release lol

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
yes, i can see definite improvements in their lip sync automation............looks MUCH better compared to andromeda. I wish a bethesda game could have conversations that looked this good.

Crafting, awesome javelin customization, evolving spaces, did I hear/see factions in the city?

I wonder how many hubs or social spaces there are. Bioware has the huge advantage of them being a personal space to really go all out. This looks awesome.

Daily, weekly and monthly challenges.

Looks like a lot of world building and thats awesome, along with cortexs that don't need my damn web browser to read them.

Bring on LAUNCH DAY1!!

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Does it? Because I really don't think it looks miles better than Destiny. It's the same thing, static portraits of characters mindlessly explaining overly wordy/fake sci-fi words type of dialogue.
In Destiny you dont have dialogue options and your character doesnt speak.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
It looks pretty generic to be honest. I think the days are over where Graphics can turn a mediocre game into a good one. People have become used to great graphics and setpieces.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty childish...but at around 1 minute the circular dialogue choices line up with the Zoe the npc in an...unfortunate...manner.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Andromeda was so absurdly meme-ified regarding the facial animations to the point people will always bring it up with Bioware games now, despite the fact the majority of games are really no better compared to Anthem with these facial animations.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think my problem is the general quality of acting / dialogue more than anything. It just sounds like people blankly reading off a sheet of paper about how the player needs to collect ember. None of the actors sound like they want to be there and can't believe they are reading this shit.

Compared to voice acting in linear storytelling games like Spider-Man, God of War, Red Dead... it seems extremely flat. Even Ikora, Zavalla, and Cayde-6 all sounded more personable in their quest dialogue.

It's all acceptable, but in 2019 the bar has been raised. By a lot. Maybe the main story mission related dialogue will be more interesting?

accx

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone is cross eyed in the future, who knew.
Hub looks great, facial animations looks silly. Chalking it up to being alpha, cause frostbite usually looks fantastic.
Beautiful map too.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Andromeda was so absurdly meme-ified regarding the facial animations to the point people will always bring it up with Bioware games now, despite the fact the majority of games are really no better compared to Anthem with these facial animations.
Jup agree. Just look at AC Odyssey from example or Outer Worlds or Witcher 3 or any Fallout game. They only one that has like the best ever NPC faces etc is Red Dead Redemption 2 really.
But that game doesnt really use the same style as these games use for dialogue with npc's

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting, I'll have to check it out later. Is there a character creation or is there only one pilot?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
i hear the word "story" thrown around a lot but literally nothing shown at this point looks interesting at all. stop bad guys from accessing some ancient power, ok got it. what else is there?
Great world, great setting...imagine if this was actually a rpg and not a loot grind :(
Same. The game looks like it will be a quality product, but I just can't shake that this is the big new game from Bioware. I don't mind a more action-focused RPG, but any RPG aspects here feel like an afterthought at best.

Odd seeing games like Assassin's Creed leaning more into RPG territory, while Bioware goes all-in on looter-shooter.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
As per usual for BioWare games, amazing world graphics mixed with mediocre-looking character models (and animations).

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? They made the same screw up MHW did. Why do devs keep doing this?
I see the pluses and minuses, players would no longer be doing the floss dance/crouching up and down running in front of the player as they are trying to get some important dialogue for a story mission. But yeah... at the same time - would be nice to interact there and really make it feel like it's an alive world that you are all contributing to be improved.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Compared to voice acting in linear storytelling games like Spider-Man, God of War, Red Dead... it seems extremely flat.

It's all acceptable, but in 2019 the bar has been raised. By a lot. Maybe the main story mission related dialogue will be more interesting?

I do not know why we're making the comparison to heavily story-focused games that entail a large amount of close character interaction that emphasize facial animation and dialogue, I do not understand the mentality that makes one think the bar for aspects such as dialogue and facial animation has to be raised in my looty shooty iron man game. At the end of the day, the majority of the audience that will be playing this game will not care about such things.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
But does it have ice hockey arenas?

I'm joking. I love destiny l, but im excited about the beta beginning of February.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that dialogue was not good...at all. Bad facial animations didn't help none either. This is the stuff they're showing of just over a month before release? Warning bells are ringing

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not know why we're making the comparison to heavily story-focused games that entail a large amount of close character interaction that emphasize facial animation and dialogue, I do not understand the mentality that makes one think the bar for aspects such as dialogue and facial animation has to be raised in my looty shooty iron man game. At the end of the day, the majority of the audience that will be playing this game will not care about such things.
Why not? It's a Bioware game, I expect a good story. Hand waving that it's a loot shooter and so we shouldn't care is ridiculous to me.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I see the pluses and minuses, players would no longer be doing the floss dance/crouching up and down running in front of the player as they are trying to get some important dialogue for a story mission. But yeah... at the same time - would be nice to interact there and really make it feel like it's an alive world that you are all contributing to be improved.
Wait and see. This isnt the first time the "teased" tho. So maybe something is there.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't feel very BioWare, except for the Crimson Lance radio gag which felt reminiscent of the Mass Effect franchise's fun bits in the Citadel and Omega.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why not? It's a Bioware game, I expect a good story. Hand waving that it's a loot shooter and so we shouldn't care is ridiculous to me.

This is not your typical Bioware game of old. I think that much is quite clear. I'm simply not going into this game with unrealistic expectations for what the game is focusing on. You may do so, but I would not deem it wise.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Wait and see. This isnt the first time the "teased" tho. So maybe something is there.

I'll try not and get my hopes up but I can totally imagine a scenario where narratively after you complete the critical path there are more freelancers in the world and then the hub opens up to include other players.

Destiny 2 did it after the campaign was over, so it's possible. Although it did have a social space before that opened up.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a reminder: If you are on the fence, don't buy this game "hoping" the build in the video is old and that there will be significant additions to Fort Tarsis as you complete missions. I imagine Bioware can overhaul the hub in a year or so if there isn't any social areas in the game right now.

Buy based on what you can see. And wait for reviews.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF
this looks nothing like the first gameplay they have shown...guess its another case of a downgrade?

Oops.

5mfaAaN.jpg

yOn735G.jpg

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Man, these videos keep putting me off.

Maybe I shouldn't - but it's hard not to - compare it to Destiny. I doubt that any of the NPCs will ever be as memorable as Zavala, Ikora, or Cayde-6.

Hell, I don't think I can PVP without listening to Lord Shaxx telling me how I'm doing.