• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
So about 4 hours into Anthem's story it throws a quest at you to open a Tomb. This is part of the main quest, it's not a side quest.

Easy, right?

No. Some really questionable game design kicks in.

It's not one Tomb, it's four.

And you don't just visit them, you have to prove you are worthy.

By grinding completely random things.

Eg you have to kill 50 enemies with melee hits.
You have to kill 50 enemies with ultimates.
You have to collect things for crafting.
You have to do world events.
You have to kill high level bosses.

In total there's 16 objectives. There is no way to skip it.

You do them in the free roam open world, which has no method to keep players together (you even spawn apart) - but several of the tasks need groups, eg world event bosses.

I've been at this for four hours now, and I still haven't completed the tick list.

I know people will be like 'Destiny lololol', but Destiny main story isn't like this. That's optional grind content.

From Xbox Live achievements 99.7% of players haven't completed the tomb quest yet. That isn't against all orders - that's from people who have started on EA Access (the quests before this have a high percentage of completion).

I'm left with a BioWare game where the main story is a major turn off, as you can't experience it a few hours in without punching yourself in the head to prove you are worthy. I don't know what they were thinking.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Insert that image of Pikachu as I pretend to be shocked.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Eg you have to kill 50 enemies with melee hits.
You have to kill 50 enemies with ultimates.
You have to collect things for crafting.
You have to do world events.
You have to kill high level bosses.

Honestly, I still might dig this. As long as those activities are fun and varied (at least from one another), I'll be down.
I'm playing a lot of Crackdown 3 and that's basically what this sounds like.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's a really stupid roadblock that killed off all the forward momentum me and my party had. What an idiotic decision.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I normally don't mind stuff like this if the gameplay is fun and you get to explore and grow your character indirectly while fulfilling the task list. Goes well with podcasts. I see how it hurts the pacing of a story-focused game, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Everything I've heard about this quest makes it sound like a Destiny 1 Exotic Quest or end-game raid attunement in older MMOs which is a really weird thing to incorporate into the main story and make mandatory. It's just absolutely destructive to the pacing of a part of the game people want to finish as quick as possible and move on.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to that point and couldnt believe it. the story was building up to a very cool scenario but nope, go and grind kills. what?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
If nothing else that definitely has me worried about the amount of content in the game. If they are throwing out shitty grindy filler quests like that that early then that reads as them padding out the game.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Wait, that's the main quest?

I mean, I can't judge having not played it, but that sounds awful.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
What makes it worse is that it bugs out for some people. Where some reporting getting credit for collecting something in one mode but then others say they didn't get credit. So peoples experience with this quest varies greatly. In the end it's just padding to stretch out the story that takes ages for some and much less time for others.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
There's a bug that give you a 0 counter for all progress when it's actually must be among the progress even before you reach the tomb. So it's a bug and many got it

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
2 or 3 times I've been soloing an encounter when someone flies in at the end to steal my chest.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I almost stopped playing after that. With all the current issues I have in Freeplay (no markers, only 4 players, and world events aren't broadcasted on the map) it makes this way more annoying than it should be.

I was able to get through it but it took forever. Luckily I didn't get that bug that makes where you don't get any progress at all.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
This reminds me of a mandatory part in the 3DS game "Crimson Shroud", in which you need a specific random drop in order to proceed. I don't remember if the game ever clarifies the item you need, but it only comes from a specific enemy, you need to kill the enemy last when it appears in random encounters, and it doesn't drop 100% of the time. I'll never understand this sort of design.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YEah, it sucks pretty hard. Didn't ruin the game for me but was an irritating speedbump.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I still might dig this. As long as those activities are fun and varied (at least from one another), I'll be down.
I'm playing a lot of Crackdown 3 and that's basically what this sounds like.

Where I'm at too. In regards to Anthem and Crackdown 3.
Sometimes I'm just in the mood for something brainless where I can just kick it with some podcasts and zone out for a bit.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
What?
Are they insane?

Granted I never had much interest in this game outside of pretending to be Ironman for a bit, but as long as that's in the game I don't think I'm gonna bother.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's a very active OT right now for the game where you can discuss. We don't need to create a separate thread for every little thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.