• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Less than two weeks I can't fucking wait!!!

On my last thread I posted an unrealistic itinerary with too much to do with only 4 days available. This is my new itinerary now

March 4th
- Arrive at Newark Airport and take bus and metro to my hotel in Downtown Brooklyn and get there by 11:00 am(hopefully)
-explore Fort Greene, Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights until late afternoon
-explore Brooklyn Bridge Park at night for a nice skyline sighting

March 5th
-Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge early in the morning
-Take a Ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
-9/11 Memorial
-Explore Lower Manhattan until night and then walk the Brooklyn Bridge back to my hotel

March 6th
-American Museum of Natural history
-Central Park until afternoon
-Take a metro to Madison Square park and then wander around
-Times Square at night just to say I was there. Don't care about it
-Take metro back to hotel

March 7th
- I haven't decided yet! Maybe Central Park again? This day is open for suggestions

March 8th
-Plane leaving at 7:00am

it looks like that I won't need the Unlimited Metrocard as it looks like I'll be riding the Metro at most 8 times.

I need recommendations for lunch and dinner.

Looking for pizza joints in Brooklyn and/or lower Manhattan.

I'll be traveling solo and on a budget.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anything in your itinerary that mentions getting a Cronut from Dominique Ansel Bakery NYC or a bagel sandwich from Essa Bagel...

Edit: OH!
Go see the Woman in Gold painting at the Neue Gallery. I've seen the Mona Lisa and it has nothing on this piece by Gustav Klimt.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's a pretty good itinerary. I think you are not allotting enough time for the Museum of Natural History tho, that will take you upwards of 4-5 hours and you'll be destroyed when you finish. So you won't be starting the Central Park until well into the afternoon.

Make sure you factor in at least an hour commute to your destination from your hotel in Brooklyn. Account for train delays! They happen all the time.

I have no suggestions really with regard to food. There's so many places that you can close your eyes and point and you'll probably find something fine,

Begbie

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend buying your Statue of Liberty ferry ticket in advance unless you want to wait a couple of hours. Also, on March 6th you won't be far from the Nintendo store which is worth checking out.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Different strokes and all that but I'd hate a trip that's planned to that extent.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
IMO you should just wander around East Village/LES/Chinatown for a night. Tons of good eats and bars to be had.

plus

Oct 25, 2017
-Take a Ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

Either buy the tickets in advance or just take the Staten Island Ferry which is free and gives you great views of the Statue but doesn't actually go to Ellis Island. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy tickets from those pushy people standing right outside Battery Park. Those are scammers who bus you straight to New Jersey and ship you out on a shitty tour boat that circles around the statue when you could be doing that for free with the Staten Island Ferry. I work right on the ground floor of the Financial District and I couldn't tell you how many suckers I see on a daily basis pay 50+ dollars for an experience they could get for free at the Staten Island Ferry

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Make sure you factor in at least an hour commute to your destination from your hotel in Brooklyn. Account for train delays! They happen all the time.

I downloaded two apps that tells you the commute times, delays, alternate routes and delays in real time

I'd recommend buying your Statue of Liberty ferry ticket in advance unless you want to wait a couple of hours. Also, on March 6th you won't be far from the Nintendo store which is worth checking out.

Forgot about the Nintendo Store. I will definitely check it out!

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
- You should still do an unlimited card to give you a bit more flexibility, also weekends on the MTA are super unpredictable because they do a lot of their construction on those days - you may find yourself re-routed, or having to use a weird combination of walking and different stations to make it all work.

- Madison Square Park is fairly small, you're going to go through that in about 10 min... and that's if you stop to admire Shake Shack.

- You're probably missing a decent stroll through the villages - East or West Greenwich are fun, with plenty of food/drink options. You can make a walk from Madison Square Park down to the West Village pretty easily and see a good swath of the city.

- If you like cocktail bars... tons of small places to check out - Slowly Shirley & Happiest Hour (W. Village), Katana Kitten (W. Village), Existing Conditions (W. Village) Death and Co. (East Village), Boilermaker (E. Village), Pegu Club (SoHo), Dead Rabbit and Blacktail (Financial Dist./Battery Park)

- Speaking of Battery Park - get down there when you're doing your downtown trips. At least see the Statue of Liberty from the shore.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Either buy the tickets in advance or just take the Staten Island Ferry which is free and gives you great views of the Statue but doesn't actually go to Ellis Island. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy tickets from those pushy people standing right outside Battery Park. Those are scammers who bus you straight to New Jersey and ship you out on a shitty tour boat that circles around the statue when you could be doing that for free with the Staten Island Ferry. I work right on the ground floor of the Financial District and I couldn't tell you how many suckers I see on a daily basis pay 50+ dollars for an experience they could get for free at the Staten Island Ferry

I'm buying my ticket this weekend trough this website
https://www.statuecruises.com/

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure to get your picture with the naked paint girls or the pervy fake mascots at time square.

They rarely stab you if you pay them.

Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded two apps that tells you the commute times, delays, alternate routes and delays in real time

That's good but keep in mind, delays can happen literally at any time. You could be in the tunnel and then the train will stop and suddenly it's announced that all trains are being rerouted because of a track fire, or someone was found on the tracks, or there was a soiled train that needs to be removed. Just be warned and give yourself more time than you think when commuting.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's a pretty good itinerary. I think you are not allotting enough time for the Museum of Natural History tho, that will take you upwards of 4-5 hours and you'll be destroyed when you finish. So you won't be starting the Central Park until well into the afternoon.

I have no suggestions really with regard to food. There's so many places that you can close your eyes and point and you'll probably find something fine,

Can confirm this about the museum. Was there the other day, arrived before opening so we walked to belvedere castle and the obelisk in Central Park, walked back for the open. After hours walking through (it's a rather densely exhibited museum as far as museums go) we still hadn't seen everything but were basically toast.

Do you have a time slot for the 9/11 memorial yet?

The lines to/from the Statue of Liberty to Battery Park could be long any day of the week, looks like you have a little time for that factored in. Weather could rearrange this more than anything, I like that you have some space open. Some things can be done Friday night/Saturday and still be fine, not too crowded. Like others said, walking through the village/chinatown/lower-east-side is good too. You don't/won't have to do a touristy restaurant.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While objectively I appreciate NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world, the most directly appropriate media representation of the place and my relationship with it is still Homer's trip to New York.

"and that's when the CH.U.D.s came for me."

It's like Paris or a USB port- on paper, there's a fifty percent chance you'll plug in, first time smoothly, and have a delightful connection, but in reality there's 100% chance your first attempt will result in a waiter calling you a prick because he didn't like your pronunciation of "crepe" and you will be pickpocketed by a slimy albino witch pretending she's selling lucky heather.

OP will love it for the objective reasons though.

Oct 27, 2017
Also you don't need and won't want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge twice, and you'll save yourself almost an hour subway-ing it back.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Don't bother with Madison Square Park unless you really want to see the flatiron building for some reason or eat Shake Shack outdoors. Washington Square Park is a little cooler and bigger.

Food suggestions? Oh we will be here a while.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the Chelsea market, the high line, and walking around the villages then SoHo/Chinatown/Little Italy in general on my way down to the financial district, but I guess that might not be your cup 'o tea.

I personally wouldn't plan a NYC trip like this. I just got there and started wandering from restaurant to restaurant and bar to bar, with some sightseeing in between. I did walk all the way through central park though.

I also spent quite a bit of time in Brooklyn -- Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy. I made a bar-hopping+afternoon of it.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I've never been to NYC but that's actually my next destination I want to visit especially for Nintendo of NY. I'd be going solo too since I just feel more comfortable that was vs with my gf I would be limited to things.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I recently visited NYC and Brooklyn myself. I enjoyed the tacos here: https://www.oxomoconyc.com. It's in Brooklyn. Pricey for tacos, but not crazy. Where are you from?
Nice, I used to live right down the street from that location. I think a few different restaurants have rotated through there, but I appreciated some ability to get Mexican food in NYC that didn't suck.

To the OP, I really recommend trying to plan some meals too. And night life. You are going to regret it if you don't take advantage of the two best parts of NYC. I don't know you, so maybe you have a true passion for urban parks and need to see as many of them in NYC as you can while you're there. But for me, I'd burn out on that schedule pretty fast. Too much sightseeing, not enough sight doing. I posted it here before, but the nonsense NYC mailing list is a great resource for more off beat things to do in NYC that may be a little more unique to the city.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm moving Central Park to Saturday.

Now Friday looks like
-Museum
-Metro to Madison Square park
-Wander around
-Time Square for like 10 mins

julian

Oct 27, 2017
What other museums do you recommend? I'm into history and science.
Well you seem deadset on going to Madison square park for some reason, so I guess you could check out the Math Museum?

edit: I should clarify that this is not a serious suggestion. It's more for kids.

Last edited:

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
While objectively I appreciate NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world, the most directly appropriate media representation of the place and my relationship with it is still Homer's trip to New York.

"and that's when the CH.U.D.s came for me."

It's like Paris or a USB port- on paper, there's a fifty percent chance you'll plug in, first time smoothly, and have a delightful connection, but in reality there's 100% chance your first attempt will result in a waiter calling you a prick because he didn't like your pronunciation of "crepe" and you will be pickpocketed by a slimy albino witch pretending she's selling lucky heather.

OP will love it for the objective reasons though.

Haha that's exactly how I felt when my friend and I got to NYC at the end of our road trip. I'm hoping to make another trip soon to try to wash away the bad taste of that first visit. It just seems like such a cool city that I want to try it again.

Oct 27, 2017
Central Park can take a huge chunk of your day. Last time we went we maybe walked less than half the park. Started from the south entrance up past the Belvedere Castle, this easily took over half day of walking. Few stops for pictures and just hanging out.

Nintendo NY is right across the block from Rockefeller Center so worth checking that out since you're right there even if you don't plan on going up. If you do it has great views of the city, cheaper and better views than Empire State. There is actually a lot of touristy stuff right around that immediate area.

If you're not going to get a a mobile ticket like CityPass, then I would caution against putting the Statute of Liberty + Ellis Island + 9/11 Memorial on the same day. The security check + new museum for statute of Liberty now take up a lot more of people's time and Ellis Island is better enjoyed with the full audio tour. The 9/11 museum is open till 8PM Monday - Thursday, but entry closes at 6PM and staff won't let you in after. It'll be better if you flip that day with the 6th since entry for the museum is open till 7PM on Friday and weekends.

Lower Manhattan is not really "worth" exploring at night. Wall Street is dead after market closes, Chinatown shops and eatery closes early at week night. At most you can take the free Staten Island Ferry to watch the night skyline. Instead, I recommend exploring East Village for activities or the Highline Park.

Anyway, you can definitely fill that schedule with more places to visit (more food places please)...

Also don't recommend going out of your way for the Nintendo store. Go to Videogamesnewyork.