• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why not put all that effort into porting a good game?

Because sonic 06s worst problems are it's an unfinished wreck. The people are not just porting it they are also fixing and finishing parts of the game. Like the game has a good frame work and most of the levels have decent designs it's just the characters can hardly function in them. Compare that to sonic boom. Making the characters control better will give it a better feel but the game will still be a boring mess. Also 06 has damn good music. Shadow also gets his best development since sa2.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Played it yesterday, i appreciate the improvements that were actually added but hoo boy they've got a lot of work to do to minimize the rest of the rough edges (camera, performance, objects, etc) that are still apparent.

Overall i still prefer the other 06 mod project under Generation's engine, but my opinion could very well change depending on how well this team corrects issues with future builds. Keeping an eye on this one for now.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The other one which had a demo of Dusty Desert and Crisis City released looks and probably is way better than this.

I don't like the oversaturated look of Kingdom Valley or the new custom animations and creative additions I saw here. They seem like they'll just make it worse.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The other one which had a demo of Dusty Desert and Crisis City released looks and probably is way better than this.

I don't like the oversaturated look of Kingdom Valley or the new custom animations and creative additions I saw here. They seem like they'll just make it worse.
Some of the additions for the mach speed sections and homing attack speed are honestly better in this one than in the Gixtix demos.
(Stuff like having remapped the light speed dash to an empty button and also being able to activate even if you are less close to the rings than in the original, the himing attack speed having received a boost and what seems like a bit better auto-aim, the mach speed initial running speed being slower and taking no rings loss if you hit a wall while giving you a little push back and/or up to make it easier to re-center Sonic, and not just die.)
Granted, the visuals is better across the board in Gistix Kingdom valley, crisis core and dusty desert, along with having a much better refresh rate. (This demo is a bit nauseating at times when running fast while moving the camera.)
The additions feels good for the most parts with some stuff feeling off (silver physics in particular), so both demos are pretty interesting in their own right for the different ways they tries to tighten the gameplay.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
......but why though?

Unless people fix the myriad of bugs and glitches (and that's almost an herculean task in and of itself, considering the state of the product we were sold in 2006) in the game, there's still the issue that anything *not* named Sonic is terrible to play with in that game.

Even then, not all levels as Sonic are that great either. The good ones have some pretty shitty sections to them.

Last edited:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
......but why though?

Unless people fix the myriad of bugs and glitches (and that's almost an herculean task in and of itself, considering the state of the product we were sold in 2006) in the game, there's still the issue that anything named Sonic is terrible to play with in that game.

Even then, not all levels as Sonic are that great either. The good ones have some pretty shitty sections to them.
While fan port is the term used, it's not really porting as much as rewriting the game with new code, since it's not like the 360/ps3 source code of the game is available. Any glitch that will be the exact same as the original will probably either be an coincidence, or an deliberate coding choice.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
there's time where I'm legitimately impressed with the gumption and dedication that the sonic modding community has

this is not one of those times

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't get how you could find the Gistix demo better than this. This is actually an improvement over the original game. There is speed and has some fun in your movement

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get how you could find the Gistix demo better than this. This is actually an improvement over the original game. There is speed and has some fun in your movement
While this one is more fun to move in, Gistix demo was more stable in the framerate and refresh. Had a friend that was watching me try it, and he had to stop watching at some point since he began to feel sick looking at it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to downplay the efforts devs are putting into this but...wouldn't it be more worth it to spend your efforts elsewhere? Especially when there's another team trying to make something out of this mess.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
While fan port is the term used, it's not really porting as much as rewriting the game with new code, since it's not like the 360/ps3 source code of the game is available. Any glitch that will be the exact same as the original will probably either be an coincidence, or an deliberate coding choice.
Regardless, there are other issues with the game. Fundamentally the gameplay itself isn't particularly fun or well thought out (same goes for the level design). I dunno, feels like a waste of time, and I've put my fair share of hours into the game back in '07.

Of course, I won't stop them. Especially so if it's something these people are doing out of love and passion for the project itself. I just find it a bit pointless, is all.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Everyone I knew hated Sonic Adventure 2 when it came out, including myself. Fast forward 15 years later, I find out there was a whole generation of kids who grew up with it who actually loved it and are willing to defend it to the death. I'm sure the same is true of Sonic 06.
Difference is SA2 was actually very highly praised by critics.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, there are other issues with the game. Fundamentally the gameplay itself isn't particularly fun or well thought out (same goes for the level design). I dunno, feels like a waste of time, and I've put my fair share of hours into the game back in '07.

Of course, I won't stop them. Especially so if it's something these people are doing out of love and passion for the project itself. I just find it a bit pointless, is all.

Oh, definitively. There are fundamental issues in many of the game levels designs and choice that you cannot change if you are trying to keep it faithful to a degree. Still, from my point of view, the fact that they are recreating a 3d game so close to the original while patching it to be the definitive edition, even if the game itself is not that good, is fascinating.
The idea itself of trying to recreate a game like this down to the details is so interesting that i can't help but love the fact that mutiple teams are trying their best, and i hope they can manage to cross the finish line.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Difference is SA2 was actually very highly praised by critics.
The critic reception for Adventure 1 & 2 on the DC and it's ports on the GC a couple of years later (not even two years post SA2 I think?) is amazingly and wildly different. On the DC they were praised as top tier/must have games. On the GC they were poor ports of poor games. Quite interesting how perspectives changed so quickly for these games.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The critic reception for Adventure 1 & 2 on the DC and it's ports on the GC a couple of years later (not even two years post SA2 I think?) is amazingly and wildly different. On the DC they were praised as top tier/must have games. On the GC they were poor ports of poor games. Quite interesting how perspectives changed so quickly for these games.
Actually, sonic adventure 2 battle reviews considered the game good, if not amazing.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/sonic-adventure-2-battle
It's sonic adventure dx that was considered poor.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/sonic-adventure-dx-directors-cut

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Actually, sonic adventure 2 battle reviews considered the game good, if not amazing.
Fair enough, SA2 Battle was better received, but still dropped a fair bit. Which, again, it's weird. The time gap between the originals and the ports wasn't that massive that they'd be instantly outdated or something on the GC.

It's such a strange turn from the critics.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
i don't know which team made it, but the one that made the demo for kingdom valley looked way better since it seemed like it was based off of Generations

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SA2 on DC had an 89 Metacritic:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/dreamcast/sonic-adventure-2

A 16 point drop in a one-year-later port that was largely a pure upgrade is pretty damn steep.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SA2 on DC had an 89 Metacritic:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/dreamcast/sonic-adventure-2

A 16 point drop in a one-year-later port that was largely a pure upgrade is pretty damn steep.
Not saying the contrary, but that's still a good rating, not a poor game or poor port score. Even if the luster began to fade for some critics, it was still there in some capacity.
It's with DX that most critcs began to severely call into question Sonic adventure 1-2 quality.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying the contrary, but that's still a good rating, not a poor game or poor port score. Even if the luster began to fade for some critics, it was still there in some capacity.
It's with DX that most critcs began to severely call into question Sonic adventure 1-2 quality.

Ehhh, with the way games are typically reviewed, I wouldn't consider 73 a good rating. That's a Mass Effect Andromeda level score.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at ppl playing the demo online, and it seems the team implemented the different abilities gems already along with Super Sonic. (Managed to miss them all while trying the level.)
It's pretty cool seeing how they would have worked in a situation where the ability gauge works correctly. (The gauge cannot deplete in the original, which combined with the half-finished coding for a good chunk of the gems, made them broken, even by Sonic 2006 standards.)

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I still watch Pokecapn's lets play of Sonic 06 every few years. Something about watching a video game causing a slow, steady descent into madness is just so fascinating.

I feel for these modders because you can't fix this game with small tweaks and bug fixes. You would literally have to make a different game. Which begs the question - why not just make a different game?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I played this on my i5 8400 GTX 1060 rig and dear god. This may have graphical improvements but by and large still looks akin to a last-gen title, and of the sort that prioritize 60fps by reducing certain graphically slick features but this version brings out all the worst aspects of Unity's optimization.

I had to dial back several things from reflections, shadow distance and quality, etc. and it still chugs in a weird stuttery manner every so often.

The movement being changed to the Heroes type of acceleration movement doesn't work with 06's level design. It really just doesn't in my opinion. I had several deaths in Wave Ocean and Kindgom Valley, even as Silver, because I ran at higher than crawling speeds and tried to make a short jump which I couldn't because the camera insisted on looking over the platform I'm supposed to land on, and with the box-of-soap movement made it impossible to maneuver the landing. This was one thing that was a little problematic in 06 too -- I would turn in 360 degress around myself with the overly sensitive movement trying to land tricky jumps but at least I could maneuver it because the movement was more static.

The Gistix remake is 100 times better to me. He applied acceleration too but only on certain jumps, the skating but not the normal jumping. Physics is cool but the P-06 version is out of control.

Graphically while superior certain parts also look aesthetically inferior to even the original now. The color grading makes dark caves unintuitive for platforming so I turned that off. The VFX is overkill from the GPU-killer robot explosions to the "wow look what we can do" water-drop effect on the screen in Kingdom Valley, and there's just something about the saturation across the board, which looks great in Wave Ocean but makes Kingdom Valley lose its somewhat dank tone, especially the mach speed part, which actually looks more basic somehow. Kill your babies and look into some of the problems I mentioned, that's my advice to ChaosX and friends.

I really gave this a fair shake but after a while I just started to distaste it. I think the focus on such a remake should be better than this.

PS. Maybe I didn't make it clear but the Gistix version sports some of the same graphical improvements but has much better optimization. This needs to be fixed or anyone with rigs below GTX 1080 sorts of machinery will find this way more frustrating than it has to be.