• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article

A shooting in Seattle's Capitol Hill Occupation Protest (CHOP) area Monday morning left one man dead and a 14-year-old boy critically injured -- bringing more scrutiny to the autonomous protest zone.

"When investigators arrived, they found a white Jeep Cherokee riddled with bullet holes on 12th Avenue," Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best said, according to CNN affiliate KIRO.

"We were told that there were two men inside the vehicle, and both had been shot."

Monday's attack is the fifth shooting within two weeks in the CHOP area, and the second to turn fatal.

lots of people are getting shot there it seems

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I have not heard of any of the shooters being identified yet. Do we know the circumstances around any of these shootings?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I heard they drove past a barricade and someone had shot at the tents (maybe earlier)? Hard to tell what is true though without more concrete details.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
details are still unclear, but it sounds like 1-2 cars had guns and drove past/through CHOP, and CHOP's own security detail shot at one of those cars, resulting in the death/injury

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
details are still unclear, but it sounds like 1-2 cars had guns and drove past/through CHOP, and CHOP's own security detail shot at one of those cars, resulting in the death/injury

This makes it seem like someone outside, stole a car to get into and shoot ppl and the security (guards along the border) took them out?

I know there were some white supremacist trying to stirrup mayhem in there.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's one man and one boy. The man died and the boy was injured badly.

www.king5.com

1 teen killed, 1 injured after 4th shooting near Seattle's CHOP

One teen was killed and another was critically injured after a shooting in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood Monday morning.

Susan Gregg, a spokesperson for Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, said early Monday an unidentified male and a 14-year-old were transported to the hospital in critical condition after being shot. The Seattle Police Department later said the unidentified male is 16 years old.

Oct 3, 2019
So the "security guards" shot them? Maybe if you're gonna kick out cops for being abusive you shouldn't be fucking shooting teenagers to death.

They need to end this failed experiment already.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't see how these "autonomous" zones don't end in anything but disaster. I don't think they help anyone, tbh.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
CHOP security keeping that same attention to detail as the regular police do.

Do they also have a thin blue line?

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
You know, I can't stand long dead European political theorists that missed the mark, but I feel like it's pretty indisputable that there needs to be an authority to maintain the social contract

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the "security guards" shot them? Maybe if you're gonna kick out cops for being abusive you shouldn't be fucking shooting teenagers to death.

The issue is people drawn to these positions of authority generally tend to be people who want to abuse it. It's why the idea that simply replacing the police with any other form of institituion such as volunteers will solve the problem is naive. Because the people who are going to want to volunteer for these jobs tend to be problematic in the first place

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to compare crime pre and post-CHOP for that area before you draw any wider conclusions. For many parts of the US these kinds of shootings are "routine".

This is definitely a spike, 4 shootings in about a week is ridiculous. Especially for Capital Hill which is a fairly affluent area. However, it's likely not CHOP itself but rather others coming in from surrounding areas to do their business.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
This is a Thought Slime video and it's a bit old, but it's an interview with somebody who was inside the autonomous zone and predates this latest event, but gives a different perspective from media coverage of the area for those not familiar with it:

marathonfool

Nov 27, 2017
This makes it seem like someone outside, stole a car to get into and shoot ppl and the security (guards along the border) took them out?

I know there were some white supremacist trying to stirrup mayhem in there.
The victims of the shooting were 2 black males confirmed by Chief Carmen Best. 16 year old died and 14 year old is in critical condition. Do not take what Omari wrote as facts. He is not a journalist. There is a lot of misinformation coming from the CHOP.

Capitol Hill is not a neighborhood that typically has 4 shootings in 10 days. It's affluent, LGBTQ friendly, and has many restaurants/bars.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
Who is CHOP staffed by? What are the recruitment and retention procedures? What internal procedures do they have for investigating use of lethal force? What training has been given in de-escalation and use of non-lethal conflict resolution? Which authority has oversight on training and deployment, and how in the few weeks since their inception has reliable and responsible training been given? Where does the line between CHOP and federal oversight fall, and who governs that? In terms of widespread public disturbance, who is 'Gold Commander' and where does the liaison with wider Government response come from? In other incidents where police have traditionally been the 'first respondants' to secure and command the area, such as chemical spills, biological incidents and radiation leaks, have CHOP been given equivalent training, equipment and PPE? What firearms training is given, and where are the firearms issued from? Are issued firerarms test fired for ballistic data prior to issuance? Are CHOP officers bound by law to wear bodycams, and bound by the rules of evidence surrounding law enforcement collation of evidence such as notebooks, fingerprints, forensics, DNA and basic crime scene procedure?

This was five minutes' thought on my part. As you can see, I have questions.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Replacing cops with random armed citizens isn't any better really. Who put them in power, what's their qualifications, what's their structure or rules even? Wild west suddenly, the ideal situation is a zone with no guns and armed security at all, CHOP is nothing more than a militia at this point.

Oct 3, 2019
The issue is people drawn to these positions of authority generally tend to be people who want to abuse it. It's why the idea that simply replacing the police with any other form of institituion such as volunteers will solve the problem is naive. Because the people who are going to want to volunteer for these jobs tend to be problematic in the first place

True, this is why a police force needs thorough screening to weed out psychopaths. But apart from that, they also need a proper training regimen to teach officers calm and restraint in life threatening situations, and how to deescalate those situations. You're not getting that with American cops, and you're not getting that with CHOP guards or any other vigilante force, be it left wing or right wing.

It's why the idea of community policing is dumb, community policing without the proper know how of restraint and deescalation is just mob justice and mob justice can easily devolve into chaos. You're right back where you started.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
So, a cop-free zone with armed security?
These autonomous zones never end well, except if there is a very harsh screeing for entry. It attracks too many outsiders

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
CHOP is officially played out and is now actively hurting the police protest movement IMO.

RIP to the victims.

Oct 27, 2017
So I am not that familiar with this thing but are you telling me that they removed the police then some assholes with guns came to keep the peace? If what I understood is right then what's the fucking point? If people are still getting shot then nothing will change.

For peace to work you need people who don't resort to violence or shootouts. It needs to be the last thing they try to do.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Who is CHOP staffed by? What are the recruitment and retention procedures? What internal procedures do they have for investigating use of lethal force? What training has been given in de-escalation and use of non-lethal conflict resolution? Which authority has oversight on training and deployment, and how in the few weeks since their inception has reliable and responsible training been given? Where does the line between CHOP and federal oversight fall, and who governs that? In terms of widespread public disturbance, who is 'Gold Commander' and where does the liaison with wider Government response come from? In other incidents where police have traditionally been the 'first respondants' to secure and command the area, such as chemical spills, biological incidents and radiation leaks, have CHOP been given equivalent training, equipment and PPE? What firearms training is given, and where are the firearms issued from? Are issued firerarms test fired for ballistic data prior to issuance? Are CHOP officers bound by law to wear bodycams, and bound by the rules of evidence surrounding law enforcement collation of evidence such as notebooks, fingerprints, forensics, DNA and basic crime scene procedure?

All these questions can be answered by simply correcting the ridiculous misconception that CHOP is not, I'm fact, it's own country.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

If it's true that the people in the jeep started firing into CHOP first then it's a shrug for me. Sounds like CHOP security doing a good job.

If not then there's serious problems.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There is nothing there, there is no chop security, there is no chop council, there is no chop leaders, there is no chop spokespeople.
A bunch of people live in tents nearby now and some people hang around in the block and half that the city let them keep.
That's it.

This is a Thought Slime video and it's a bit old, but it's an interview with somebody who was inside the autonomous zone and predates this latest event, but gives a different perspective from media coverage of the area for those not familiar with it:

I have lost all respect to this channel because of this video.
I know CHAZ = clicks, but this is just so shit.

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
There is nothing there, there is no chop security, there is no chop council, there is no chop leaders, there is no chop spokespeople.
A bunch of people live in tents nearby now and some people hang around in the block and half that the city let them keep.
That's it.

This makes more sense, thank you. The media reports all mention CHOP security like its an 'official' or organized movement, maybe stemming from an existing private security company or similar. After I posted, I tried to find out more about who 'CHOP Security' was, and the only results link to the recent media stories that started this thread.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This makes more sense, thank you. The media reports all mention CHOP security like its an 'official' or organized movement, maybe stemming from an existing private security company or similar. After I posted, I tried to find out more about who 'CHOP Security' was, and the only results link to the recent media stories that started this thread.
There isn't even an attempt to control the "gates". There aren't even gates. This is not closed from all sides and most of it is open to car traffic now.

Oct 25, 2017
If it's true that the people in the jeep started firing into CHOP first then it's a shrug for me. Sounds like CHOP security doing a good job.

If not then there's serious problems.

We don't know and likely won't know because there will never be a real investigation. Evidence is already tampered with, nobody will talk, police investigation will be pushed back by protesters.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
This is not any form of anarchism I am familiar with.
This more than anything seem to me like a libertarian oil rig fantasy without the racism and homophobia.

Not really shocking this appeal to the burning man crowd.

Libertarians still support state-run police forces. Even the really radical libertarian fantasies like Objectivism are still built around the idea of a "state monopoly on violence" to protect private property.

Zero police is more an anarchist or communist thing. Communism's end game is the state just dissolving at some point because it's no longer needed.