• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
oof if you think this will be like Twin Peaks 1-2

i wouldnt be surprised if Cooper and Laura are the only characters that return and everyone else is new

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Chromatics shadow drop an album and serious teasing for a new season of Twin Peaks?

My heart...

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
oof if you think this will be like Twin Peaks 1-2

i wouldnt be surprised if Cooper and Laura are the only characters that return and everyone else is new
Audrey is still a dangling thread, and you gotta have the FBI gang and Sheriff's Department ... not to mention that a new season would be a perfect opportunity to bring back Michael Ontkean (and the god dang BOOKHOUSE BOYS) and Moira Kelly ... heck, maybe even Chris Isaak, Kiefer Sutherland, and Heather Graham. And get Badalamenti a full jazz band this time! Heck, get Bohren & der Club of Gore to perform his compositions.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Audrey is still a dangling thread, and you gotta have the FBI gang and Sheriff's Department ... not to mention that a new season would be a perfect opportunity to bring back Michael Ontkean (and the god dang BOOKHOUSE BOYS) and Moira Kelly ... heck, maybe even Chris Isaak, Kiefer Sutherland, and Heather Graham. And get Badalamenti a full jazz band this time! Heck, get Bohren & der Club of Gore to perform his compositions.
While we're dreaming, let's get Poets of the Fall in the Roadhouse.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I never dreamed they'd do another season after the mixed reception to season 3. That being said, even if it wasn't what I wanted - that last season was so unique and different than anything else you can find on tv. I'd be right there for another season.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I never dreamed they'd do another season after the mixed reception to season 3. That being said, even if it wasn't what I wanted - that last season was so unique and different than anything else you can find on tv. I'd be right there for another season.

I dont think it was mixed tbh, since it was number 1 on a ton of critics best TV show of the year lists and is pretty much reveared in most of my circles, but obviously there were people who hated it because it was so different to the first 2 seasons.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it was mixed tbh, since it was number 1 on a ton of critics best TV show of the year lists and is pretty much reveared in most of my circles, but obviously there were people who hated it because it was so different to the first 2 seasons.
Maybe not critically, but you could go back and look at viewer sentiment at the time. I definitely felt like there was a not insignificant amount of people disappointed.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not critically, but you could go back and look at viewer sentiment at the time. I definitely felt like there was a not insignificant amount of people disappointed.

Oh yeah, I remember at the time in those threads, there were many people who were pissed off at how it wasn't at all like the original Twin Peaks, which is fair.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I know it didn't work for everyone, but Season 3 landed so hard for me, I can't talk about it without sounding hyperbolic about its greatness.

That said, I am wary of a Season 4. What could Lynch even do after 3?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is an argument for series 3 being the best season of TV ever. At least from an artistic point of view.

ThatThomas

Sep 3, 2018
I loved season 3. If I had my way, Twin Peaks would go on forever, and every new season or movie would end on a huge cliffhanger that might never get resolved.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
But who would write and direct this? Because Lynch/Frost have shown that they clearly don't care about any of this.

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This would be so perfect if we got something announced with this timing but I'm not expecting it. Though if it were happening...only about an hour left. Hold me.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand I'm cool with Twin Peaks ending the way it did and considering many regulars are now dead it wouldn't be the same anyway. On the other hand, I want David Lynch to make more films/series (whatever it is).

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

It's got 94% critic/83% audience score on RT and 8.5 on imdb...

Aside from some vocal people that didn't like it it got a lot of love, especially because it was just something so different then what you'd normally find on tv, and especially episode 8.

I felt a bit disappointed at first, because it wasn't like the past seasons, and you had a lot of things set outside of Twin Peaks itself, but i warmed up to it a few episodes in an dit REALLY found it's footing part way through the series, episode 8 is one of the best episodes put to television imo and it's amazing that Showtime even allowed them to do it, I mean can you imagine ANYONE else reading that script and being like "You're greenlit!" because I sure can't.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
"Gentlemen, when two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention."

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
But who would write and direct this? Because Lynch/Frost have shown that they clearly don't care about any of this.
I mean, yes, this is pie in the sky stuff, but a lot of these Season 3 omissions came down to scheduling conflicts and budget limitations. The characters played by the actors that I listed at least got mentions in Frost's books, if not inclusion in the show (in one way or another). And now that other characters are off limits due to arc completion, timeline changes, or actor death, why not bring in the holdouts?

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
episode 8 is one of the best episodes put to television imo and it's amazing that Showtime even allowed them to do it, I mean can you imagine ANYONE else reading that script and being like "You're greenlit!" because I sure can't.
The thing is, the script for that episode doesn't exist. It was just a small fragment, likely just a few paragraphs, in a single stupidly long script with no episodic structure and barely a semblance of continuity which would only be pieced together in editing. Showtime didn't know what shape it was going to take when they first greenlit it. I bet that on paper that sequence didn't seem all that different from any other surreal dream/vision sequence, especially when they thought it would all fit in a 9 episode run.

I mean, yes, this is pie in the sky stuff, but a lot of these Season 3 omissions came down to scheduling conflicts and budget limitations. The characters played by the actors that I listed at least got mentions in Frost's books, if not inclusion in the show (in one way or another). And now that other characters are off limits due to arc completion, timeline changes, or actor death, why not bring in the holdouts?
Frost's books especially paint a picture of an author who completely lost interest in his old creation. The characters you listed are mentioned in the books mostly for the purpose of being taken apart and mostly taken out of commission. If they're not dying, they've become alcoholics, went insane or were turned into a one-note creepypasta.
I'm sure that someone could do something interesting with these characters, I just doubt that Lynch/Frost would want to.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Frost's books especially paint a picture of an author who completely lost interest in his old creation. The characters you listed are mentioned in the books mostly for the purpose of being taken apart and mostly taken out of commission. If they're not dying, they've become alcoholics, went insane or were turned into a one-note creepypasta.
I'm sure that someone could do something interesting with these characters, I just doubt that Lynch/Frost would want to.
It's especially unkind to the women of the show, like Audrey and Annie, who have basically spent the prior 25 years living empty lives, being catatonic, or both.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
It's especially unkind to the women of the show, like Audrey and Annie, who have basically spent the prior 25 years living empty lives, being catatonic, or both.
The Donna chapter of The Secret History also reads like an attack on Lara Flynn Boyle. The only female character who's spared from a miserable fate and judgmental narration is Tamara Preston (who in the book continuity is a transparent stand-in for the author, with her weirdly misogynist, slut-shaming quips). That book is just awful.

Jan 18, 2018
It'd make sense if everything was pretty much rebooted. S3 was pretty much about Cooper
rebooting the timeline
"Back to starting positions"
It'd make sense

May 26, 2018
It'd make sense if everything was pretty much rebooted. S3 was pretty much about Cooper
rebooting the timeline
"Back to starting positions"
It'd make sense

heh, that'd be something, wouldn't it?

S4 starts off as a remake of Twin Peaks

then like halfway through it goes completely fucking bonkers as Kyle MacLachlan and Sheryl Lee show up as the original characters

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
just finished season 3 today, and holy shit, they managed to have an ending that was more unnerving and depressing than season 2's..

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
now i'm imagining another season with the return of Harry.

I can't do this to myself.

Sadly he retired from acting even tho he was really excited to Play Harry again in the reboot at first. It might have been a health related issue but no one knows since they wanted to keep it privately. I don't see him coming back.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
My one hope is that they seriously tone down the amount of guest musicians and just let Badalamenti run wild.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be James Hurley singing 'Just You and I' on loop
A0VHuLpwWNwmDKjJYEgymwJ5-L8u4Q4JgR9U38SdXYs.png

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I fucking love Twin Peaks, but not sure if want. If they don't over-explain the lore and manage to give us as depressing an ending as seasons 2 and 3 managed I'll be happy, but fuck knows what Lynch and Frost are thinking sometimes.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
I fucking love Twin Peaks, but not sure if want. If they don't over-explain the lore and manage to give us as depressing an ending as seasons 2 and 3 managed I'll be happy, but fuck knows what Lynch and Frost are thinking sometimes.

David Lynch hates explanations and tidied up resolutions. If he was working on a new season, I think it would be rest assured that we would be leaving it with more questions than answers. I think anyone going in expecting otherwise just isn't paying attention to who they're dealing with.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not worried about the show over explaining anything. Every time Frost tries to ground the storyin some way and make it too neat, Lynch will up his ante and find some way of making it even more out there. It's a pretty fun dynamic actually. They both seem to love the show, and are content with pulling it in different directions, with an ever increasingly mutated result.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
David Lynch... explain?

I don't think we need to worry about that.