• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Down feathers are soft feathers found especially on baby birds, who have yet to develop adult feathers at all.

Phoenixes are birds. Ergo, phoenix downs are down feathers from a phoenix.
What's the Phoenix Down thing?
The phoenix is an immortal bird associated with Greek mythology (with analogs in many cultures) that cyclically regenerates or is otherwise born again.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So…. what's the play of Phoenix Down?

A lot of people just saw it as some nonsense terminology made up as a healing item. Because you're 'downed' or whatever.

It's the down of a phoenix (the feathers, like goose down you get in pillows).

It just often surprises people when they realise that after 20 years of playing Final Fantasy games are considering Phoenix Down to be just some made up term like Materia or Moogle.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people just saw it as some nonsense terminology made up as a healing item. Because you're 'downed' or whatever.

It's the down of a phoenix (the feathers, like goose down you get in pillows).

It just often surprises people when they realise that after 20 years of playing Final Fantasy games are considering Phoenix Down to be just some made up term like Materia or Moogle.

You know what? You got me on that one. But you just made me realize something…. is that where Downy fabric softener got its name from?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I always knew that. Most of those sci-fi racing games actually have a fictional connection to F1. For instance Wipeout is also an evolution of F1, and then there's Formula Fusion which perhaps has the most explicit connection in its name. F-Zero is pretty clever though, as racing cars get faster with each grouping (e.g. F1 is faster than F2) so F0 is theoretically faster than F1, a class above.

In the lore, the manufacturers in Wipeout actually used to make F1 cars for competition also. Here's a F1 car made by Feisar.

In fact they're so closely aligned that Psygnosis used to make both the Wipeout games, and the F1 games for a time.

formula1_wipeout_pc_front.jpg

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
To people saying "how did you not realize this", many of us first encountered this when we were like ten. I had no knowledge or interest in formula 1, and it's rarely referred/pronounced as F1 to laymen, right?
Same thing with phoenix down, I heard the term around the same age and just associated it as a made up term or mistranslated.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sidenote: I just started watching that F1 show on Netflix & it's kind of incredible? I need to pay more attention to that sport.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As an 8 years old kid when my brother got an imported Super Famicom I knew it

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Us not knowing this is still not as bad as people not knowing Alucard is Dracula backwards. 😏

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
To people saying "how did you not realize this", many of us first encountered this when we were like ten. I had no knowledge or interest in formula 1

Yes, I think if your first started playing F-Zero as a child, you're far less likely to connect it to Formula 1.

I was aware of Formula 1 but it was 100% something boring that my dad watched on a Sunday. It wasn't a cool futuristic sci-fi thing that I played alongside Mario and Zelda. And it wasn't stylised as F-One. I didn't take it as a play on something else, it was just a made up original name like Turok and Kirby.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I made the F-Zero connection as a kid..but sort of forgot about it. I've always known the Phoenix Down thing, thought that was super obvious lol.

One that just hit me (likely due to current events) are the 'Kremlings' in DKC being a direct and obvious reference to Russia's Kremlin. Like how did I never notice that..

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I realised this a long time ago, but not immediately, so I can see you aren't alone.

What's the Phoenix down realisation? That down is feather?

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I remember my dad making the connection back then. I was playing F-Zero on SNES with my brother and dad picked up the game box and chuckled something along the lines of "F zero huh...like a one class higher than Formula one? Those must be some fast machines haha". It sure was a holy shit moment for me and my brother.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's interesting to see what clicks and what doesn't. I never made the F1 connection, but the Phoenix Down thing is like the most obvious thing I've ever seen.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but I only figured it out a few months ago when I started following F1. And seeing things about F2, then realizing that the lower the number, the higher "grade" of racing, thus F1 > F0 made perfect sense.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
In Spanish it was always a more literal "Phoenix Feather" so the reference was always obvious. The golden needle as a way to cure stone was odd, but I always just assumed it came from a folk tale or something.

Anyways, no, I didn't make the F-1 connection.

That's Zangeki no Reginleiv.

www.youtube.com

斬撃のREGINLEIV 紹介映像

Wiiディスク(ダウンロード版)斬撃のREGINLEIV 紹介映像【Wiiディスク(ダウンロード版)の動画一覧】https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPh3p_yYrx0C5pJKYevU8I-9c6Aazhs-s【Wiiディスク(ダウンロード版)のホームページ】http...
I was always curious about this one as it used the motion plus. I'm happy we got Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower and (eventually) Rodea, but I'd have loved to get this and Earth Seeker as well.

Last edited:

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
What is the Phoenix Down moment?

Edit: Found it above. I thought it was clear what they were due to the picture and the word phoenix...

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I've been playing videogames for over 40 years and watching F1 for over 30 and that's never occurred to me!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've known that for quite a while, but I figured it out much later than I would like to admit.

I don't think it is too common knowledge that there are "minor leagues" in racing like F3 and F2, and if you weren't aware then you might miss the connection.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I don't care how dumb it makes me look, this is something I legitimately never made the connection to and it is awesome.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
These realizations are funny because I find that they come from the sorta old assumption that anything from Japan is gonna have some sorta weirdly used English. When you're so used to stuff like...

Firaga
Thundaga
Materia
X-Potion
Demi
Osmose
Black Shock
Climhazzard
Dry Ether
Echo Screen

...it's easy to see Phoenix Down as "just another one of those" where it's some loosely English phrase that kinda maybe alludes to something. Basically like Jeff says in Giant Bomb video, sometimes we don't give em enough credit.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. This definitely didn't occur to me, but I don't know shit about racing in general.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
These realizations are funny because I find that they come from the sorta old assumption that anything from Japan is gonna have some sorta weirdly used English. When you're so used to stuff like...

Firaga
Thundaga
Materia
X-Potion
Demi
Osmose
Black Shock
Climhazzard
Dry Ether
Echo Screen

...it's easy to see Phoenix Down as "just another one of those" where it's some loosely English phrase that kinda maybe alludes to something. Basically like Jeff says in Giant Bomb video, sometimes we don't give em enough credit.

Exactly!