• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What tier will Bernice be in?

• Top Tier

• Bottom Tier

• Somewhere else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Mugen already decided this

JRW.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Will a broad list of criteria be shown? Like, if Bernice is somehow "top tier", that indicates that having deep and longstanding lore is not a requirement for being top tier. Which is fine, but it makes guessing their place feel random rather than informed because we have no understanding how esoteric the tier list is capable of being. For all I know, having the first letter of the character name be B could mean B-Tier...

Or is that the intention? That guessing each character's place one-by-one will get easier as we start to understand you previous reasonings?

Either way I like the idea but the bio is critical. It's searchable anyway, so you might as well put it in the thread as the characters come up. Otherwise, it feels needlessly obtuse :)

Vote: Bottom Tier

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
Bernice is trash and shouldn't even be in the list she's so low. Can't wait for more op. Please include tier criteria you used to generate your list. An excel formula will do

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I really dunno about Bernice. They're unremarkable, have very few appearances, most people don't know they exist, and I don't think their design is appealing. I suspect they'll be somewhere in the middle, but I'd rank them at the bottom.

I wonder if the number of markets they've appeared in influences the ranking or if it's like, very US centric because I suspect that might partially contribute to the lack of awareness about her existence.

The McDonalds wiki is even inconsistent because her specific character page lists her appearances as spanning 1992-2001 but the general character list page cites 2008 as the second date.

Also I watched the commercials she was in. Bernice has like 0 redeeming qualities other than suggesting a word that starts with D and I feel that's only because she interjected quickly, someone like the Hamburglar or even Ronald himself would have surely suggested one.

CaptainNuevo can you reveal how many tiers there will be in total so we can make our own tier lists alongside you?

Bernice Ranking + Fry Guys Bio
OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you folks for staying tuned and finding out the current rankings! I know you've been waiting a while and here is the first one!

Bernice
a5b56245f98fd88c6a4501b59d5f492d.jpg

Name: Bernice

AKA: Bernice
Species: Bernice

First appearance: 1992
Marital Status: Single and ready to Mingle
Tier: TBA.

Notable traits: Bernice is brown. And has a nose. Also has a movie script.

Bernice first showed up with a lot of disrespect put to her name, being called simply "Something" and being on a TV. Bernice wasn't actually given a name until sometime after her first appearance, which just goes to show you how much she was originally intended to be a throwaway character.

But starting this list with a throwaway would be weird right? And you're correct. Bernice was not relegated to a single one-off appearance and was instead made to be a somewhat recurring character, even having the key role in a 3-part ad series.

In this series, Ronald is trying to make a movie. But Bernice the script. Bernice notices that she is hungry for something. She eats the script, causing Ronald to be unable to make the commercial. Ronald is then forced to use his magic to find out who the ad is supposed to be about. He finds the letters:
K
D
I
S

and uses magic to decide they spell...

KIDS.

He gets it wrong. Bernice knows the original ad was supposed to be Ronald's awful fanfic addition to the Fast & The Furious cinema film series (the word was SKID, referring to skid marks that tires make). Bernice saved film and cinema that day. And all she had to do was eat a script.

Interestingly, Bernice bears a striking resemblence to a certain fictional character from 1986...
yes that's right.

latest

Hooter. Both of them have long noses. Both of them eat things they aren't supposed to. This makes me think Bernice is an homage to Hooter, which is awesome.

Sadly, Bernice gets little representation outside of the commercials she's starred in, having no appearances in any games as far as I can tell, nor any direct toys featuring her. This means her lasting legacy is pretty poor, and I have to dock points from her for this. Otherwise, she's pretty cool as a weird design that they used whenever non-food needed to be eaten.

Some other things she's eaten:

Cities
(Interesting piece of actual trivia about this ad: They filmed 5 versions of this with kids of different nationalities to use in different parts of the world. And this was in 1996.)

The Happy Meal Box

Overall Bernice's legacy is the crumbs she left behind, and the fact she was able to turn a one-off appearance into a pretty diverse role where she played both Ronald's friend (in Making Movies) and a foe type role (in Ronald In the Movies). This definitely makes her a pretty interesting character overall.

TIER: Would share a Meal With

mcdonalds-characters-831819-1613583493.png

NEXT:
The Fry Kids

5ef8021412fcae8396055ccb76997ba0.jpg

Name: Fry Kids
AKA: Gobblins
Marital Status: Open

First Appearance: 1972
Notable Traits: There's a lot of them and they have lots of colors and are kinda stringy looking.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Are we including variants as separate entries? Kinda like how 616 Cap and Ultimates Cap are considered different?

mad3pctbwdxxfpbqtx53.jpg

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Are we including variants as separate entries? Kinda like how 616 Cap and Ultimates Cap are considered different?

mad3pctbwdxxfpbqtx53.jpg

That's a good question. There definitely are some variants which I consider to be unique characters, and it kinda comes down to personality and the way they were portrayed. I don't yet have Donald McDonald as separate from Ronald McDonald, but I'll look into it more and see.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cant say I agree with Bernice's ranking. She's a budget Alf with a somewhat more tolerable (yet still atrocious) diet. I admit that the scope of her appearances is impressive however, considering how unpleasant she is. But on to bigger and better things- the Fry Kids. They're about as top tier as it gets. The rest of the mascots have a tough act to follow if you ask me. Bernice was lucky she got ranked first.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah hard disagree on Bernice, although her being the first to be ranked and my lack of expertise in the subject leads me to ask myself what horrors are left to be uncovered.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great job on the Bernice bio. I never knew they straight up called her a terrible something when she was revealed. That would never fly today in our post I'm Loving It world

The Fry Kids are in the Hall of Horrors for sure, you think they would have realized what a mistake they made before they added the Fry Girls and just designed better characters

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A mascot you can't even tell what it is supposed to be can not be something higher than bottom tier.

and no, bernice is a bernice won't fly with me.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
A mascot you can't even tell what it is supposed to be can not be something higher than bottom tier.

and no, bernice is a bernice won't fly with me.

why does it matter so much what species Bernice is to you? Bernice is Bernice, and a beloved and important character She taught children theycan overcome their destiny.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That's a good question. There definitely are some variants which I consider to be unique characters, and it kinda comes down to personality and the way they were portrayed. I don't yet have Donald McDonald as separate from Ronald McDonald, but I'll look into it more and see.
Appreciate your time and effort. Consider me even more invested into this. ❤️

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: Grimace calls his signature move of holding someone by the ankles and throttling them until they vomit a "shamrock shake."

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Grimace is nothing compared to Uncle O'Grimacey. A true man of the people who brought us the Shamrock Shake.

Edit
I have no strong feelings on the Fry Kids but they should probably be in the upper tiers.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Hooter. Both of them have long noses. Both of them eat things they aren't supposed to. This makes me think Bernice is an homage to Hooter, which is awesome.
I didn't like Bernice much before, and now you're trying to lump my main man Hooter in with her nonsense?!
a77c8c478eee74b5dcb0c5a80e22f09dda34fc2d.gifv

I don't see Bernice getting loose on the keys like him, or transforming totally-not-the-Borg through the power of love and dance. Disgusting.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Hooter got dragged a bit by association with Bernice. He's an unsung hero of the EO Crew.

btw... this is my new fav thread.
Hooter is the best thing in that movie and a treasure. Hooter did not get dragged by his association to Bernice. Both parties in that comparison were true winners.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
mcdonaldland_by_weirdfantastictoys_db0n6kx-fullview.jpg

This was my childhood. I had this playset and all the dolls. Sadly lost to time. So yes, I know who the Professor and Captain Crook were.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I look forward to the thread about Mayor McCheese so I can post a video of him as Hamlet in an episode of 30 Rock.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I can't actually... change the poll here. Not sure what the best way to do this is to have folks guess the tier, but I'll carry on with it tomorrow anyhow.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
when i was a wee lass they had tables and chairs at a local mcdonalds that looked like the fry kids so they are defacto top tier

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Hey OP, I really appreciate the thread and how you're sticking to your principles in how to run it. Just a quick question though as I think about potential tier placements: what exactly qualifies as a mascot? For example, in the makin' movies Bernice commercial the camera and other members of the movie kit have speaking roles. Are they gonna be included in your tier list. Thanks for your time!

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
NEXT:
The Fry Kids

5ef8021412fcae8396055ccb76997ba0.jpg

First Appearance: 1972
Notable Traits: There's a lot of them and they have lots of colors and are kinda stringy looking.

Those aren't strings, they're fries.

So the fry kids are literally walking masses of fries and EYES.

I like the fry kids like the talking mcnuggets, if you try to meme or hate on them then you're a heartless dingus

Fry Kids Rank/Sundae Bio
OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
The Fry Kids

First Appearance: 1971

The Fry Kids have a long history at McDonald's, originally showing up in the 70s as the "French Fry Gobblins", and have been redesigned quite a few times over the years. The below picture shows 3 of the major transformations they went through, starting with their original pre-lawsuit look on the top, their 1973 look in the bottom left, and ending with the more modern look on the bottom right.
89056012_2981298841935386_509831795064176640_o.jpg

Eagle-eyed readers may notice that I mentioned PRE-Lawsuit. That's right folks, the Fry Kids were lucky enough to be some of the remaining characters who survived the Kroftt vs McDonald's lawsuit.

Their first appearance was actually in the 5th McDonaldLand commercial named French Fry Thatch. It's actually really hard to find uploads of this ad (probably at least partially due to the Kroftt lawsuit), but I managed to find an upload of it here:

(In case that gets taken down, here's a B&W photo of the set, with the Gobblins visible on the left:
13913585_1173140289417926_5715753994555021897_o.jpg
)

The Gobblins continued to add to their ranks during the 70s, capping out at an alleged 6 members before the reboot. Another early appearance of the Gobblins is visible in the 1973 ad "Rainy Day":

Once McDonaldLand rebooted after the lawsuit was settled, the Gobblins returned as the Fry Guys. Initially a group of 3 males, they showed up first in 1983:

The Fry Guys were pretty popular, and inspired another squad of all females, named the Fry Girls who debuted in 1986.

Eventually the 2 groups merged and became the Fry Kids we know and love.

Due to their age, the Fry Kids have had plenty of representation across all types of media. They've appeared in the commercials, as toys, and even in cult classic (and what's widely considered one of the 5 best sega genesis/megadrive games McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure):
tumblr_mqczy117OE1roqda3o1_500.gif

For their ability to fight back and never be cast out of the Kingdom, as well as their general contributions to the land of McDonaldLand, the Fry Kids are some true fighters. That said, they are legion and they lack a distinct personality or real motivations as characters, so they have to be ranked accordingly.

TIER: Tiers for Fiers

my-image.png

NEXT UP:

Sundae

11930836_498558663636874_1116077248_n-jpg-ig_cache_key-MTA4MzYzMDU2NzEyNTA1NzUwOA-3D-3D.2.jpg

Name: Sundae
AKA: The Good Boi
Marital Status: ...It's a dog, settle down.

Species: Dog
First Appearance: TV series

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Younger me would've been afraid of sundae. I think it's the eyes.

Agree with the Fry Kids ranking, and once again incredible job with the profile + analysis. Thanks!