• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017

www.gematsu.com

ANNO: Mutationem – The Game Awards 2020 limited-time PC demo now available

Publisher Lightning Games and developer ThinkingStars have released demo for the PC version of ANNO: Mutationem via Steam. It will be available until December 14.
Publisher Lightning Games and developer ThinkingStars have released demo for the PC version of ANNO: Mutationem via Steam. It will be available until December 14.

The demo allows players to explore one of the many cities in the game, meet and interact with characters, experience combat, and get a glimpse of its story and mysteries.

It actually looks quite nice! I really like the art style in this.

unknown.png

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How. does this exist yet that Scrolls game had to change its name?

I thought this was some weird first person view mode for a new Anno game.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Saw this earlier - love the look of it.

I dont tend to buy Indie titles individually but I'll consider getting this.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How the heck are they allowed to use the "ANNO" title?

Game looks coll though, definitely peeping the demo.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really cool 2d/3d presentation, but i get weird frame-rate dips in this demo. It'll run 60, spike down to the 40's then turn back to 60 constantly.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I've had it on my radar for quite a while, and it looked interesting, after playing the demo I added it to my wishlist.
I have a couple grievances but it's beautiful and it plays really great.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I just finished the demo and I have to say...this is quite good. It oozes style and I love it.

I hope the combat gets more advanced in the full game but I like what I saw so far.

unknown.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you make your combat tutorial with enemies that OHKO you and no retries, requiring the player to replay the whole tutorial including the unskippable cutscenes lol

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I like the 2d sprite in 3d space (voice acting would really help sell the dialogue better, I think, but I'm probably just overused to having it at this point) , but combat feels....stiff, in a way that reminds me of some of the early 2D dark souls attempts.

Some of it is not being used to not being able to animation cancel, as well as this obviously being an introductory demo, but....felt kinda basic.

Relatedly, feels weird to have a juggle move that launches enemies 'away' further than your default sword reaches (unless I'm missing something), as well. I also couldn't seem to get the 'deflect/parry' input to work - not sure if that was a later unlocked feature, or if my RB button isn't working on my xbox controller, lol.

Again, likely at least in part due to the limited scope of the demo, but...we'll see.

Why would you make your combat tutorial with enemies that OHKO you and no retries, requiring the player to replay the whole tutorial including the unskippable cutscenes lol

I definitely did not get OHKO'd by any of the 'virtual' enemies, nor the later enemies in the 'real world'. Probably a bug?

Oct 25, 2017
Relatedly, feels weird to have a juggle move that launches enemies 'away' further than your default sword reaches (unless I'm missing something), as well. I also couldn't seem to get the 'deflect/parry' input to work - not sure if that was a later unlocked feature, or if my RB button isn't working on my xbox controller, lol.

I definitely did not get OHKO'd by any of the 'virtual' enemies, nor the later enemies in the 'real world'. Probably a bug?
Yeah, both me and the enemies were OHKOing each other the entire demo. Another person on the Steam forums mentioned having the same issue. I didn't even know there is a deflect button lol, the game never taught me because everything melted in one hit, I only learned how to roll.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, both me and the enemies were OHKOing each other the entire demo. Another person on the Steam forums mentioned having the same issue. I didn't even know there is a deflect button lol, the game never taught me because everything melted in one hit, I only learned how to roll.
Yep. Had the same issue. Then I watched someone else playing with normal damage numbers lol

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

Strange, I didn't run into any bugs in the demo. I don't think the tutorial mentioned a deflect/parry system either, interesting.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I am in complete awe.

I couldn't believe how good it looked and was.

Incredible.

It's so comfy and beautiful.

Bt5L8WA.jpeg

YzNlBsL.jpeg

I had never heard of it.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
After playing the demo, I'm super on board. It needs some refinements to the combat system maybe (well this was just a demo anyway) but it looks crazy good

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
After playing the demo, I'm super on board. It needs some refinements to the combat system maybe (well this was just a demo anyway) but it looks crazy good

Give them feedback on twitter ! They take everything in consideration.

I think the base of the combat is solid (assuming they add more), the only thing I'd like changed is air animations to be a bit more fluid.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Give them feedback on twitter ! They take everything in consideration.

I think the base of the combat is solid (assuming they add more), the only thing I'd like changed is air animations to be a bit more fluid.
Yeah my same thought, also clinging on platforms is a bit strange with the sudden animation

Then anyway, it's all hand made, it is already pretty pretty amazing!

EDIT: the first person was 10/10 also, I don't think I have ever seen it in any other "pixel art" game

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Fun demo giving me big "Rise of the Dragon" vibes for some reason- except more overt cyberpunk, and with combat sections, obviously.

Gonna be keeping an eye out for that release date for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Just played through this and it was pretty awesome. The animation lock is pretty strong though, rolling and jumping have really weird timings to move into something else. It made doing a speedrun feel a little weird, but overall a solid experience. One big issue is that enemies aren't really interesting enough to use the mechanics they try to teach you. The only ones that can take a beating are the super armored fisticuff dudes. That is also where I find the animation lock comes into play, since the lag after attacks is longer than what you would expect as combos come out much faster.

Still, a great demo and I'm looking forward to the full release.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Just played through this and it was pretty awesome. The animation lock is pretty strong though, rolling and jumping have really weird timings to move into something else. It made doing a speedrun feel a little weird, but overall a solid experience. One big issue is that enemies aren't really interesting enough to use the mechanics they try to teach you. The only ones that can take a beating are the super armored fisticuff dudes. That is also where I find the animation lock comes into play, since the lag after attacks is longer than what you would expect as combos come out much faster.

Still, a great demo and I'm looking forward to the full release.

Definitely drop them some feedback if you have the time.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Y'all know that "Anno" is just a latin word right
This is like Bethesda complaining about Mojang having a Scrolls game
I mean yeah but it is sort of an awkward situation. While the Anno games aren't as big a deal imagine if this game was called HALO: Mutationem or something. I'd say it is a step beyond Scrolls. Although ultimately, when these things come before a court, what matters is whether they are determined to be close enoguh from a consumers perspective that they could be reasonably confused as I understand it.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I dig the 2D/3D hybrid aesthetic. Wish that the combat sections had the same movement space that the exploration parts did. Gator beat me :(

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So it could be called Uncharted?

Not without anything else.
And if the game is a 3rd person shooter it also could not be using the word Uncharted whatsoever.

Anno means year, this isn't a brand and the game has nothing to do with the other Anno games. They're not trying to cash in with the other IP.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, it's a city builder vs like an anime cyberpunk sidescroller. Even if the courts might side with Ubisoft, why the fuck do you care? Do you think they are actually getting any audience or attention for that title from Ubisoft's strategy series?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Not without anything else.
And if the game is a 3rd person shooter it also could not be using the word Uncharted whatsoever.

Anno means year, this isn't a brand and the game has nothing to do with the other Anno games. They're not trying to cash in with the other IP.

and uncharted means unexplored. that's not how this works lol